GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,026
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,312
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Members who got English as a second language #152040
03/16/06 07:58 AM
03/16/06 07:58 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline OP
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline OP
Underboss
We got a few members here who got English as a second language and do incredibly well. I'm thinking of Afi, JustMe, Enzo, Don Pappo, SVSG (?)....and others will come to my mind.

I got some questions for you.

1. How long have you been studying English?

2. We all know you can write fluently, but what about speaking?

3. How would you rate your skills (reading, speaking, writing, listening comprehension)?

4. By which means do you practice your English?

5. Did you ever experience a full immersion period in any English speaking country or some like that?

6. Do you like English? (stupid one, I know. But there's some people who just USE this language because they cannot do without it but actually don't like it)

7. What do you like the most about it?

8. What do you like the least?

9. Do you think it is easy?

10. Which other languages do you know or would you like to?

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152041
03/16/06 09:44 AM
03/16/06 09:44 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Pssht, I have enough problems with English as my first language. :p

And don't get me started on English majors that can't spell or use proper grammar...I know more than a few.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152042
03/16/06 10:53 AM
03/16/06 10:53 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I find that many times people who learn English as a second language, know it better than those who have it as a first and only language.

DJ,

It's not only English majors that don't know proper English. I am amazed at how many middle school students can't spell. I had a student the other day ask me how to spell the word "Fight". I had to think to myself, "Didn't I know how to spell that word by the time I was in 8th grade???"

Although I believe all subjects are important in school, and granted some will be better at it than others, English is a "must". We don't have to be experts, but we should put a strong emphasis on it from the beginning of one's education.

I don't have all the solutions but think it should be given more attention than any other subject. If you know English from the beginning of your education, it'll be second nature by the time you get to college.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152043
03/16/06 11:11 AM
03/16/06 11:11 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Thanks for your compliments, Lavi.

From childhood. My mother spoke to me a little now and then.

When I have practice, say I am abroad, and speak much, I have no problem. When I do not speak for a long time, it becomes difficult to find words, and still more to recall correct pronouncation.

3. How would you rate your skills (reading, speaking, writing, listening comprehension)?
Listening comprehension worst of all. On some channels, especially American, they speak very fast and not always intelligible.

Mostly reading. And BB

5. Did you ever experience a full immersion period in any English speaking country or some like that?
Yes, not only English-speaking, but with necessity of speaking English.

6. Do you like English? (stupid one, I know. But there's some people who just USE this language because they cannot do without it but actually don't like it)
Yes.

The literature that is written on it.

Reading in Middle-English.

Yes.

Now I'm trying to learn German, and Italian is awaiting.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152044
03/16/06 11:32 AM
03/16/06 11:32 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
1. How long have you been studying English? Since 7th grade.

2. We all know you can write fluently, but what about speaking? I can speak fluently, unless there is some really dirty fight. Then I'd have difficulty understanding how bad an insult someone made.

Writing/Speaking/Reading/Listening. I generally don't pay enough (womanly) attention to what others say or write, even in my first language. I skip reading through what doesn't interest me and often I miss a few details. The same goes for listening.

Just about anything.

Yes, I've spent over a year in the US.

Of course, I've always liked it. Voices in my head all speak in English.

It is easy.

Some of odd accents. :p

Yes, definitely one of the easiest languages ever.

Persian of course, also a little Arabic but more than I need to know. Right now I'm trying to learn German, firstly because of Mozart's German operas, secondly because of my job, it would help a lot because our electrical system codes are German. I also would like to learn French and Italian if I get the chance. Opera and many other wonderful things are what I can't appreciate enough because I don't know these languages.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152045
03/16/06 11:52 AM
03/16/06 11:52 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Forgot to write what languages I know.
Of course I know Russian, and ancient slavonic as that of church service. That helps in other Slavonic languages, many of them are variants with the same roots basically. Such as Ukrainian, Belarussian, Serbian, Bulgarian(it has cyrillic alphabet) etc.
Polish is my mother's language, but I must confess I'm not good at it.
When I lived in Turkey, I spoke Turkish as a native, but it's good 15 years since I'm back, and haven't spoke a word in Turkish in all this time, so I guess I must've forgot it completely.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152046
03/16/06 01:48 PM
03/16/06 01:48 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:

[b]Yes, definitely one of the easiest languages ever.
[/b]
Really??

I've heard that it was fairly difficult to learn as compared to, say, Spanish or Italian. I guess they all have their irregularities and points of difficulty, though...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152047
03/16/06 01:51 PM
03/16/06 01:51 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I got some questions for you.

From when I was 3 years old

Very fluent - can use reasonably complex words, decent vocabulary.

Very good - except that I speak in Indian accent, which Americans hate :p

I have studied English more than any of the Indian languages. I talk to everyone in english, except my family.

I am in US from August 2005.

I like it a lot

some nice words, like "indifference" or "naive" which have equivalents in my language, but do not sound natural.

Most Indian languages can be pronounced in only one way. Ofcourse there are a couple of exceptions. But in english, one has to know exactly how a given word is to be pronounced. An obvious example is the way we pronounce "put" and "cut".

probably the easiest if your aim is to communicate verbally or in a written form. But if you really get anal and start learning what "gerund" or "intransitive verb" is, then life becomes tough.

Many of you may not have heard of any of these - all are Indian languages - Hindi, tamil, telegu, kannada, bengali. Almost every state in India has a different language. It is not a difference in dialect or accent - each has its own grammar and script. I have lived and studied in schools all over my country. I am not capable of learning any new language at this age

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152048
03/16/06 01:53 PM
03/16/06 01:53 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
We got a few members here who got English as a second language and do incredibly well. I'm thinking of Afi, JustMe, Enzo
Me? Do incredibly well? :p

Quote:
Been watching American TV shows since I was like 8/9, and started learning it at school 5 years ago.

Quote:
Hmm. I often struggle to find an appropiate word, and my accent is terrible, I think.

Quote:
Reading: 9/10
Speaking: 5/10
Writing: 7/10
Listening comprehension: 9/10

Quote:
Fuck! Uhm, can you explain this a bit, I don't know the expression "by which means". Does it mean something like "for which goal"?

Quote:
I've been in America, and English went kinda well.

Quote:
Hmm. Well, I don't hate it, but I don't really like it neither.

Quote:
English is probably the easiest language in the world to learn, but a difficult one to master. I mean, over here any 6 year old with an IQ of 70 can say a bit English, but there are few who do speak the language good.

Quote:
The weird grammar, definitely

Quote:
See Q 7.

Quote:
I also know Latin, Dutch and French. In the future, I would like to learn French better (speak it fluently) and start Italian.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152049
03/16/06 02:15 PM
03/16/06 02:15 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I think it is easier than those languages simply because in English you don't have to distinguish between objects as they aren't male or female. This can take a long time for someone who is going to learn that language as a SL.

Then there are pronunciations, and while I can say that there is no sound that is new to me in other languages (we have 32 letters in our alphabet), English, especially American English is more distinguishable for me than Italian or Spanish.

Just to realize how a language can drive you insane, in Arabic there are 14 different makes of a verb or pronoun. They have different makes for men, women, one person, two persons, three or more persons, and that's added to the routine makes other languages have. Also there are irregular verbs that you'd have to keep their 14 makes in mind. That's what I really didn't want to put time on, but damn school system.

In Persian, there is no difference between male and female for anything. However, what makes it hard IMO is that we spell things really hard. We have three different forms for the sounds "s" and "c", four for "z" and so on. It gets really crazy if you want to learn it as a second language.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152050
03/16/06 02:23 PM
03/16/06 02:23 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Okay, no Persian for me. :p Arabic could be an option, maybe someday...

And folks, keep away from Dutch, it's a very difficult language. There are like a million grammatical exceptions, and there are things which don't have a rule, but should have. The only way to get those things right, is having Dutch as your mother tongue. Or, spending years with Dutch speaking people. :rolleyes:

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152051
03/16/06 02:47 PM
03/16/06 02:47 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
I think it is easier than those languages simply because in English you don't have to distinguish between objects as they aren't male or female. This can take a long time for someone who is going to learn that language as a SL.
That's exactly so. I felt it trying to master German, where everything has gender (almost like in Russian! ) and a special article.
And as to the number of letters, we have 33, and only few of them vowels... :rolleyes:

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152052
03/16/06 03:37 PM
03/16/06 03:37 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Enzo, you'd have the same problem with spelling in Arabic as well. :p As the matter of fact, this is the gift of Arabic character set that Persians had to adapt after Arabs took over. Our alphabet is the exact alphabet Arabs use, however the language and the grammar is different and we have four characters (and sounds) more than what they have. They don't have "P", "G" as in "gas", "Ch" as in chair and "J" as how French pronounce "bonjour".

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152053
03/16/06 05:02 PM
03/16/06 05:02 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Me? Incredibly well??? :rolleyes: You better think about it again! And then you must decide if I do it incredibly well...thanks anyway. But I sometimes make horrible grammar mistakes, and sometimes I got confussed with some words for example, "heroin" and "heroine". hahaha!.

Since childhood, but not a big deal. I started to study english seriously when I was in high school, I was the student who got the highest scores in my classroom.But it was british english, then I started to study in an american institute where the teachers speak only in english, spanish is not allowed. I have studied there for 6 years.

I don´t know if I can write fluently, I can speak fluently if given the opportunity, but if it´s been a long time I haven´t spoken it turns difficult to recover the practice.

Listening comprehension is the worst, this is the most difficult but sometimes it depends on the person who is speaking, I can understand american people(but the hip hop "singers", they talk very fast) but I can rarely understand british people. My english is american english.

Mostly reading, Mafia books, gangsterBB, etc.

I have been to USA since December of 2004 until April of 2005.

Yes, I do.

I can have a conversation with people whose original language is not english, I cannot speak chinese, russian, french.For example, if I want to say to JustMe "You are the most beautiful rose in the world", she will understand, this is one of the reasons I am happy to know english when I don´t know how to speak the one another´s language and the one another cannot speak mine. Nobody can make a joke to embarrass you using english language because you will understand, for example, I asked a romanian guy how can I say "Goodbye" in his language, he told me how but it wasn´t "goodbye". I would say what he taugh me to say if there were only men here, but I have to be a gentleman, there are many ladies here, so, I won´t say those words in english. To give you an understanding, I wanted to say "goodbye" in romanian to a girl and she was surprised and she was going to hit me. But another romaninan guy said it was a joke for me. That´s why I can trust anybody else or language.
Sometimes, english is a weapon, it is good to understand the people who you are talking to, sometimes you may not understand or refuse to understand when you don´t want to understand.

When I have to speak by phone about important things and I cannot afford to miss any words.

Yes, it is.

Italian, French and Japanese

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152054
03/17/06 02:40 AM
03/17/06 02:40 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I just want to say that I really admire all of you BB'ers who know more than just your native language.

As some have mentioned, there are people who speak English as a first language but have trouble, whereas you all sound just great speaking (rather, typing) in it.

My aunt is from Vietnam, and she and my uncle often tell my family about the language. I think the most difficult thing I've learned about Vietnamese is that one word can mean several different things, depending on the pitch/tone of the voice when you pronounce it. Can you imagine?! People would have to repeat things ten times before I could even begin to understand what they're saying.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152055
03/17/06 05:15 AM
03/17/06 05:15 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Fuck! Uhm, can you explain this a bit, I don't know the expression "by which means". Does it mean something like "for which goal"?
no, I just meant "how".

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152056
03/17/06 05:47 AM
03/17/06 05:47 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Time to answer my own questions.....

since I was 11 or so. But I've been interested in it since a very little child, because my older sister was studying it at school and I would imitate her. I still can remember a nursery rhyme which went something like "One, two, buckle my shoe. Three, four, shut the door. Five, six, pick up sticks. Seven, eight, lay them straight. Nine, ten, a big fat hen". I used to tell it when a was 5 or 6...

I like speaking in English! My English friends tell me I got a smart British accent, which I'm very proud of... (even if I doubt they only try to be kind to me. Truth is I got an Italian accent, that's it!!)Unfortunately I've got few opportunities to actually talk in English so my fluency isn't as good as I would, but if I'm given half a chance I'd resume it quite quickly (hopefully :rolleyes: )

I'm strictish....

reading 8/10
speaking 6/10
writing 8/10
listening comprehension. It depends. British English is about 7/10. American English is.....definitely LESS!!!!

I ADORE IT!

It's the key to the world.

Bad accents that make it incomprehensible.

absolutely. No other language (old or modern) is as easy, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, old languages - i. e. Latin and Old Greek - do not count in this context. So, Italian aside, I know a little French (which sounds sooooo chic! but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more difficult than English) and a little Spanish (which sounds fascinating and is very easy for us Italians). I'd like to know these languages better, especially Spanish.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152057
03/17/06 09:56 AM
03/17/06 09:56 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I find that many times people who learn English as a second language, know it better than those who have it as a first and only language.

DJ,

It's not only English majors that don't know proper English. I am amazed at how many middle school students can't spell. I had a student the other day ask me how to spell the word "Fight". I had to think to myself, "Didn't I know how to spell that word by the time I was in 8th grade???"

Although I believe all subjects are important in school, and granted some will be better at it than others, English is a "must". We don't have to be experts, but we should put a strong emphasis on it from the beginning of one's education.

I don't have all the solutions but think it should be given more attention than any other subject. If you know English from the beginning of your education, it'll be second nature by the time you get to college.

TIS
I have a question.

Do is for I, you, they and we
Does is for he, she and it.

Why some people(I mean people whose native language is english)say it don´t matter, he don´t care? I would say it doesn´t matter and he doesn´t matter as I was taugh

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152058
03/17/06 10:05 AM
03/17/06 10:05 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
Do is for I, you, they and we
Does is for he, she and it.

Why some people(I mean people whose native language is english)say it don´t matter, he don´t care? I would say it doesn´t matter and he doesn´t matter as I was taugh
"It don't matter" and "He don't care" are just a couple common examples of slang. The proper way to speak it is "doesn't", as you stated. Saying "don't" when it is appropriate to say "doesn't" is just lazy English, stereotypical of American English.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152059
03/17/06 11:11 AM
03/17/06 11:11 AM
Belgium
Dedel Offline
Wiseguy
Dedel  Offline
Wiseguy
Belgium
That thing with “do” and “does” is really confusing. The first time I saw Pulp Fiction I was completely lost, lol .

“Motherfuckers who thought their ass would age like wine
If you mean it turns into vinegar, it does
If you mean it gets better with age, it don’t”
– Marsellus Wallace to Butch.

Since I was 9 years old.

It’s harder of course. Sometimes I’m afraid to do horrible mistakes, so I take more time to think at the words to use. It’s easier when I’m drunk cause I don’t fear anything .

Reading very good. Speaking and writing is harder. Listening is quite Ok

Reading books and watching movies in their original versions

No, but I’d like to.

Yes.

I like that many things can be said in short sentences, which is more difficult in French. Also I love some movie quotes that sound stupid in French. “Say hello to my little friend…”

Some expressions can be hard to understand the first time you hear them.

Yes, easier then dutch, like Enzo Scifo said.

French of course. And I must learn dutch as half of my country speak it. Not an awful language, but really difficult.

Vigilia Pretium Libertatis.
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152060
03/17/06 03:31 PM
03/17/06 03:31 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Ah, donc t'es de la Wallonie? Ou peut-être Bruxellois? C'est toujours chouette quand un paysan frequente cette place-ci.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152061
03/17/06 10:36 PM
03/17/06 10:36 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by afsaneh77:
[b]
[b]Yes, definitely one of the easiest languages ever.
[/b]
Really??

I've heard that it was fairly difficult to learn as compared to, say, Spanish or Italian. I guess they all have their irregularities and points of difficulty, though... [/b][/quote]english is, definitely, one (if not thee) easiest language ever. in portuguese, for instance, there is a different way to use every verb for each person. i.e. "to want" means "querer", but you don't say I want, you want, he wants... you say "eu (I) quero", "você (you) quer", "nós (we) queremos", "eles (they) querem"... not to mention that there must be half the ammount of words.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Members who got English as a second language #152062
03/18/06 05:57 AM
03/18/06 05:57 AM
Belgium
Dedel Offline
Wiseguy
Dedel  Offline
Wiseguy
Belgium
Quote:
Ah, donc t'es de la Wallonie? Ou peut-être Bruxellois? C'est toujours chouette quand un paysan frequente cette place-ci.
Lol Ik ben wal. Ik woon naar Bergen. Boeren zijn vlaams, niet ? Wallen zijn werkloze.

I don't know for other languages, but english is really easier to learn then french. There are a lot more irregular forms to learn in french then in english.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152063
03/18/06 08:36 AM
03/18/06 08:36 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
I just want to say that I really admire all of you BB'ers who know more than just your native language.
Thanks Gina!

Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
I think the most difficult thing I've learned about Vietnamese is that one word can mean several different things, depending on the pitch/tone of the voice when you pronounce it. Can you imagine?!
That you mentioned reminded me of an episode of a popular sitcom here. Someone was trying to learn some villager's accent and slangs, and the person helping him told him about "reversed verbs". When he asked what they are, the villager told him "It would be nice to have you for dinner!" can have an opposite meaning as "Why don't you get the hell out of my house?!". It depends on the tone of voice.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152064
03/18/06 12:41 PM
03/18/06 12:41 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Dedel:
[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b] Ah, donc t'es de la Wallonie? Ou peut-être Bruxellois? C'est toujours chouette quand un paysan frequente cette place-ci.
Lol Ik ben wal. Ik woon naar Bergen. Boeren zijn vlaams, niet ? Wallen zijn werkloze.

I don't know for other languages, but english is really easier to learn then french. There are a lot more irregular forms to learn in french then in english. [/b][/quote]I don't think French is much more difficult than English. French is kind of easy, I think. I mean, if you know some Latin and English, French vocabulary is not diffucult at all. I can imagine Dutch is harder to learn ...

Btw Dedel, if you would ever see any unpardonable mistakes in my French (in the future maybe), you may always correct them.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152065
03/18/06 06:50 PM
03/18/06 06:50 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Quote:
When he asked what they are, the villager told him "It would be nice to have you for dinner!" can have an opposite meaning as "Why don't you get the hell out of my house?!". It depends on the tone of voice.
That's what I'm talking about!

I think I would make quick enemies, and completely by accident.

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152066
03/20/06 06:09 AM
03/20/06 06:09 AM
Belgium
Dedel Offline
Wiseguy
Dedel  Offline
Wiseguy
Belgium
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Dedel:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b] Ah, donc t'es de la Wallonie? Ou peut-être Bruxellois? C'est toujours chouette quand un paysan frequente cette place-ci.

I don't know for other languages, but english is really easier to learn then french. There are a lot more irregular forms to learn in french then in english. [/b][/quote]I don't think French is much more difficult than English. French is kind of easy, I think. I mean, if you know some Latin and English, French vocabulary is not diffucult at all. I can imagine Dutch is harder to learn ...

Btw Dedel, if you would ever see any unpardonable mistakes in my French (in the future maybe), you may always correct them. [/b][/quote]Your french seems pretty good... Better then my dutch.

dutch vocabulary isn't really hard to learn as long as you speak english. When I was at school, I used to say english words with a dutch accent when I didn't know the right form. It was kinda working until the day the teacher understood my plan when I said "holydag" in place of vacantie... lol

Re: Members who got English as a second language #152067
04/04/06 12:27 PM
04/04/06 12:27 PM
Malmoe, Scania / Perugia, Ital...
Don Larzono Offline
Made Member
Don Larzono  Offline
Made Member
Malmoe, Scania / Perugia, Ital...
1. How long have you been studying English? Since I was 10 years old. However I've been in contact with english all my life, from movies, music etc.

2. We all know you can write fluently, but what about speaking? I speak better than I write and for some reason I have an american accent.

Excellent

By speaking, and listening. In Sweden, all our movies are in english, almost all our TV-shows are american, almost all our music is in english.

Yes I do.

The multitude of words and expressions.

hmm. tough one.. I really don't like the fact that young swedish kids use at least 20% english words when they speak. But that isn't the english language's fault.

Yes. At least to me, it has come very natural.

Fluent in:
Swedish
Danish
Italian

And I speak and understand a little French and Spanish.
Also I'm still learning Sicilian, if you consider that a language.

I would like to learn Japanese, Mandarin, Kantonese.

Pro Scania et Libertum

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull