GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BarrettM), 190 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,698
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,225
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,391
Posts1,060,047
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151964
03/15/06 09:31 PM
03/15/06 09:31 PM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline OP
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline OP
Underboss
I was recently contemplating what I considered to be the top 5 musical acts of the 20th century, and not by how much I liked them, but just by how generally talented they were.

Example...

Hypothetical Situation: Aliens come to earth and ask us to sum up the planet's different types of music in 5 groups/performers, represented through the very best performers/musical artists in different genres of the past 100 years.

My picks... (each at their peak)

The Beatles

Madonna

Elvis Presley

Frank Sinatra

Michael Jackson

note: I'm probably leaning a little bit too much towards American music, although it seems as though American music is still the most widely popular on the planet.

Honorable Mentions: Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, 2pac, Marvin Gaye, The Rolling Stones

I dream in widescreen.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151965
03/15/06 09:41 PM
03/15/06 09:41 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Madonna, what the hell? Over Led Zeppelin and a million others? I severley disagree.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151966
03/15/06 09:43 PM
03/15/06 09:43 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

1.) The Beatles
2.) Frank Sinatra
3.) Beethoven
4.) Mozart
5.) Thelonious Monk

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151967
03/15/06 09:45 PM
03/15/06 09:45 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Madonna, what the hell? Over Led Zeppelin and a million others? I severley disagree.
In terms of pure influence, sales, popularity, and longevity, I stick by my choice. While I am not at all a Madonna fan personally, and I love Led Zeppelin, I just don't feel like Zeppelin and others have quite the same widespread fame and influence that Madonna did.

EDIT: I'd also have to add Nirvana to my original honorable mentions.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151968
03/15/06 09:46 PM
03/15/06 09:46 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
1.) The Beatles
2.) Frank Sinatra
3.) Beethoven
4.) Mozart
5.) Thelonious monk
I too was going to include Beethoven and other classical composers, but I decided to add the 20th century clause. Care to update with that in mind?

I dream in widescreen.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151969
03/15/06 09:47 PM
03/15/06 09:47 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b] 1.) The Beatles
2.) Frank Sinatra
3.) Beethoven
4.) Mozart
5.) Thelonious monk
I too was going to include Beethoven and other classical composers, but I decided to add the 20th century clause. Care to update with that in mind? [/b][/quote]1.) The Beatles
2.) Frank Sinatra
3.) Elvis Presley
4.) Thelonious Monk
5.) The Rolling Stones/Led Zeppelin

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151970
03/15/06 11:18 PM
03/15/06 11:18 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I will catagorize these. Note: I am only doing Rock and sticking in that Genre.

Folk Music/Rock and Roll: Bob Dylan
Advanced/Experimental Rock: The Beatles
Pop Rock Music: Paul McCartney
Early Rock and Roll: Elvis Presley/Johnny Cash/Carl Perkins/ Jerry Lee Lewis
Fun/Folk/Rock: Jimmy Buffett
Most Versatile Rocker: Neil Young

Best Overall Image of Rock and Roll: (TIE) Bob Dylan, The Beatles

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151971
03/16/06 03:05 AM
03/16/06 03:05 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
note: I'm probably leaning a little bit too much towards American music, although it seems as though American music is still the most widely popular on the planet.
So, have you been all around our planet? :p In our family of six, I'm the only one listening to some of American music.

I'm not that crazy about past hundred years. I think the more elegant and the more sophisticated performances of music that can keep an alien in awe and show off the human's intelligence are orchestral works. I'd tell them they've just missed Mozart and Beethoven by 250 years. What took them so long?!

It really doesn't get any better than that.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151972
03/16/06 03:14 AM
03/16/06 03:14 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Beatles

The Eagles

The Foo Fighters

Nirvana

The Rolling Stones

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151973
03/16/06 03:34 AM
03/16/06 03:34 AM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
Duke Ellington

Van Morrison

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Hank Williams Sr.

Benny Goodman

Count Basie

The Replacements

Pre-revolutionary Cuban music.

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151974
03/16/06 04:11 AM
03/16/06 04:11 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
1.) The Beatles
2.) Frank Sinatra
3.) Beethoven
4.) Mozart
5.) Thelonious Monk
someone should tell Ludwig and Wolfgang they come after the Beatles and Sinatra.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151975
03/16/06 04:23 AM
03/16/06 04:23 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
4.) Thelonious Monk
Yeah? I didn't know we had another big Monk fan here. Very cool. I met a drummer a couple of weeks ago who used to play with him and Coltrane back in the late 50's and 60's; he said that collaboration was the most raw powerhouse of emotion you could ever find in music. Can you imagine? He was like, "It was too much, girl. Too, too much. No one plays like that anymore."

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151976
03/16/06 09:50 AM
03/16/06 09:50 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Letizia B.:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b]4.) Thelonious Monk
Yeah? I didn't know we had another big Monk fan here. Very cool. I met a drummer a couple of weeks ago who used to play with him and Coltrane back in the late 50's and 60's; he said that collaboration was the most raw powerhouse of emotion you could ever find in music. Can you imagine? He was like, "It was too much, girl. Too, too much. No one plays like that anymore." [/b][/quote]I like the Temptations as well.

Want to get married?

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151977
03/16/06 11:56 AM
03/16/06 11:56 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Vocalists:

Frank
Ella & Louis
Ray Charles
Willie Nelson
Linda Ronstadt

Songwriters:

Cole Porter
Irving Berlin
Harold Arlen
Lennon & McCartney
Rogers & Hart/Hammerstein

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151978
03/16/06 01:32 PM
03/16/06 01:32 PM
Austin, TX
suspect_5 Offline
Underboss
suspect_5  Offline
Underboss
Austin, TX
Wow I’m really surprised that no one has included a Hip-Hop/Rap group in their lists. I mean even if you are not a fan of the genre you cannot deny it’s influence in not only the music scene but in the very culture of at least this country. I mean do you know what the term Bling means? I don’t think you learned that from listening to the Beatles. I mean to sum up all of music and leave that GIANT piece missing, hell I think it would take five entries just to sum up this category.

I’m no music expert to prove it here is my list…very biased to American music because well that is what I listen to so if Aliens posed the question to me this is what I could answer.

Five different types of music last century
Rock – The Beatles
Hip-Hop – N.W.A.
Country- Willie Nelson
Techno/Industrial – Nine Inch Nails (really I just threw the Industrial part on here so I could include NIN – probably should be someone like John Digweed or something)
Funk – George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelics *(was going to be a Jazz category but I don’t really know any acts, I mean I know names but I couldn’t choose one as best)

*edit, Note: This is not a list of my five favorite groups or music acts

--------------------------------------
This signature has been sanatized for your protection - The Staff
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151979
03/16/06 02:07 PM
03/16/06 02:07 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Mozart
Vivaldi
Beethoven
Chopin

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Queen
Jeff Buckley
Eminem
Neil Young

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151980
03/16/06 02:11 PM
03/16/06 02:11 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Afi, my applause to you.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151981
03/16/06 06:06 PM
03/16/06 06:06 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Five best representations of Earth, and you fail (or choose not) to go beyond US Pop?

Some of the best music ever has probably never been recorded.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151982
03/16/06 06:15 PM
03/16/06 06:15 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Yes it has. It's called Radiohead.

:p

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151983
03/16/06 06:55 PM
03/16/06 06:55 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
and you fail (or choose not)
Who is 'you'?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151984
03/16/06 07:04 PM
03/16/06 07:04 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
I don't mean to start a fight or flame-war, and hope no one takes it as such. But, I think the idea of representing music through fame, or popularity, or whatever, is pure bull-shit. It's kind of like saying, "Yeah, The Beatles; they'd be nothing without matching suits and cool accents!" And, I think this is why we can all agree, the 1980s were basically musical purgatory. It seemed like anyone who had star appeal or glamour was sure to succeed. And that brings upon the whole popularity aspect, and that's why I think the 90s called for an underground scene like grunge and alternatice... But then that was taken away too, and became a mainstream side-show. If you did happen to like to music of the 80s, I'm sorry to offend you. And I'm sorry you've got bad taste in music (only kidding).

I don't know. It's just something about this thread that bothers me. I wouldn't say a pop act like Madonna or Michael Jackson would be a good representation in music... Not because they aren't talented. They're very talented in what they do, but I just feel bubble-gum pop is the exact opposite of "music" in the traditional sense. The people with their names on the album covers don't write the songs, and the actual music itself just seems like it was pushed off, and those involved in the record's birth viewed it as secondary to the straight-forward lyrics. It just kind of sucks the art out of it, until it becomes a circus act. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule... or, this idea. But, I think this is why bubble-gum pop has never settled with my blood; no, I'm not just being a typical immature teen-aged rock-fan who enjoys saying "liek OMG!!! DAT IS GHET! PUNK RAWK! IM A REBBEL BCUZ I DYED MY HAIR WITH GREEN SPRAY-ON HAIR COLOR!!!! LOL!!21@!@!!!!"

I don't know. I feel like this is going to come off as if I'm a hostile beast of a man, and someone has been feeding me booze and LSD, before locking me into the confines of a small room, with the lights out--the darkness only broken by the gleaming light of a computer moniter. But I hope it doesn't. I just don't think music should be represented by fame, or iconic figures, or popularity. Sure, inspiration, yes. But what ever happened to the music?

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151985
03/16/06 08:03 PM
03/16/06 08:03 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
I don't mean to start a fight or flame-war, and hope no one takes it as such. But, I think the idea of representing music through fame, or popularity, or whatever, is pure bull-shit. It's kind of like saying, "Yeah, The Beatles; they'd be nothing without matching suits and cool accents!" And, I think this is why we can all agree, the 1980s were basically musical purgatory. It seemed like anyone who had star appeal or glamour was sure to succeed. And that brings upon the whole popularity aspect, and that's why I think the 90s called for an underground scene like grunge and alternatice... But then that was taken away too, and became a mainstream side-show. If you did happen to like to music of the 80s, I'm sorry to offend you. And I'm sorry you've got bad taste in music (only kidding).

I don't know. It's just something about this thread that bothers me. I wouldn't say a pop act like Madonna or Michael Jackson would be a good representation in music... Not because they aren't talented. They're very talented in what they do, but I just feel bubble-gum pop is the exact opposite of "music" in the traditional sense. The people with their names on the album covers don't write the songs, and the actual music itself just seems like it was pushed off, and those involved in the record's birth viewed it as secondary to the straight-forward lyrics. It just kind of sucks the art out of it, until it becomes a circus act. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule... or, this idea. But, I think this is why bubble-gum pop has never settled with my blood; no, I'm not just being a typical immature teen-aged rock-fan who enjoys saying "liek OMG!!! DAT IS GHET! PUNK RAWK! IM A REBBEL BCUZ I DYED MY HAIR WITH GREEN SPRAY-ON HAIR COLOR!!!! LOL!!21@!@!!!!"

I don't know. I feel like this is going to come off as if I'm a hostile beast of a man, and someone has been feeding me booze and LSD, before locking me into the confines of a small room, with the lights out--the darkness only broken by the gleaming light of a computer moniter. But I hope it doesn't. I just don't think music should be represented by fame, or iconic figures, or popularity. Sure, inspiration, yes. But what ever happened to the music?
I agree.

Just because Madonna has been massively succesful in films and such, doesn't make her a good representation of our music to martians.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151986
03/16/06 08:23 PM
03/16/06 08:23 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:

Come on, Capo.

That's like saying the best movies have never been filmed, or the greatest books never published. This is a best representations of music thread, not the "What If" thread. Let's just stick to music that has been recorded and not get all deep and philisophical saying stuff like that. This thread is pretty open and shut. It's a best music thread. Go out of the US pop range if you like, but don't start saying some of the best music has never been recorded. You don't need to delve that deep into every subject.

I'm not attacking you (though it may seem like it), I'm just sick of these kinds of statements. What is some of the best music out there. Period. Let's not over-analyze this. (I know you lvoe when I say that)

The Doc

P.S. Radiohead is the worst band ever. Sorry to break it to ya. :p

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151987
03/16/06 08:59 PM
03/16/06 08:59 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
...not by how much I liked them, but just by how generally talented they were...the very best performers/musical artists in different genres...it seems as though American music is still the most widely popular on the planet...
Quote:
...In terms of pure influence, sales, popularity, and longevity...
Quote:
...I just don't feel like Zeppelin and others have quite the same widespread fame and influence that Madonna did...
Quote:
...I decided to add the 20th century clause...
OK, so let me get this straight.

Aliens come to earth and want to hear about the planet's different types of music represented by very best performers not in terms of not how much we liked them but how talented they were...but really more based on influence, sales, popularity, and longevity.

But only limited to the past 100 years.

So that would of course leave out Mozart, Beethoven, who are not only pre-20th century, but apparently did not have the influence and longevity of a Madonna.

Also left out are 'Zeppolin and others' who apparently didn't sell enough records or weren't popular enough to rate sharing the list with a Madonna.

And of course except for The Beatles, mainly American artists should be mentioned because they seem to be the most popular on earth. According to who...I'll ask later.

If that's the case...where are The Beach Boys?
Barbra Streisand? George Gershwin?

You're all over the place. Why don't you just begin a thread about your favorite artists since that's what you really want to discuss anyway.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151988
03/16/06 09:01 PM
03/16/06 09:01 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

The Cure, The Clash, Motorhead, Nirvana, Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, The Smiths, Black Flag, Guns N Roses (first album)

Just some of the good music of the 80's, though I have to admit music in general was poor, which is why the Grunge revolution was needed.

Megadeth often gets overlooked by some people due to their name, even if it is politically motivated.

As for Radiohead, they're excellent. Period.

As for this thread, I really can't come up with a list without feeling guilty due to leaving someone out.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151989
03/16/06 09:05 PM
03/16/06 09:05 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
The Cure, The Clash, Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Tom Waits, Guns N Roses (first album)
Sonic Youth, Pixies, and The Smiths definitely belong on this list. In fact, all 3 of those bands are better than every artist you mentioned, except maybe Tom Waits.

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151990
03/16/06 09:07 PM
03/16/06 09:07 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I edited with them. I knew I forgot a few. Both deserve to be on it, especially Sonic Youth.

Just curious, what are your opinions on some of those bands, especially the metal ones. It seems several good/great bands get the shaft due to a ridiculous "Satanic" stereotype.

Just realized I also forgot Black Flag.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151991
03/16/06 09:10 PM
03/16/06 09:10 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Just curious, what are your opinions on some of those bands, especially the metal ones. It seems several good/great bands get the shaft due to a ridiculous "Satanic" stereotype.
The Clash and The Cure are great. Metallica is okay for me, and I've actually never heard anything from Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or GunsNRoses. Never really interested me.

The Smiths, Pixies, and Sonic Youth are the big 3 from the 80s IMO.

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151992
03/16/06 09:11 PM
03/16/06 09:11 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Just realized I also forgot Black Flag.
I actually forgot about them too. Great hardcore band.

Re: 5 Best Representations of Music on Our Planet #151993
03/16/06 09:13 PM
03/16/06 09:13 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Motorhead is great, as well as those other metal bands, particularly Metallica and Megadeth.

That is to say, Metallica up to the Black Album, after which they were shitty. Megadeth managed to survive with quality past the early 90's though.

*waits for Ferro on mescaline to urinate on this opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull