GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, Ben54), 314 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,433
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18342
10/11/04 10:15 AM
10/11/04 10:15 AM
NYC
L
Lakeville Road Boy Offline OP
Wiseguy
Lakeville Road Boy  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
NYC
at the wedding? I realize that he's disenchanted with the family and wants to distance himself (both physically and emotionally). However, to spill family secrets like the story of Johnny's contract is something that a bright guy like Michael wouldn't do.

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18343
10/11/04 10:27 AM
10/11/04 10:27 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
You'll notice that Kay prods it out of him when he'd rather they listen to Johnny singing.

Anyway, one would assume that by this time in their relationship Michael has given Kay at least some information with regard to the kind of business his family is involved in, and which at this point he wants no part of. They may already be secretly engaged and he trusts her.

And with Johnny Fontaine showing up at his sister's wedding...why shouldn't Mike tell that story about the bandleader? It's a pretty interesting one!!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18344
10/11/04 10:40 AM
10/11/04 10:40 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I've always had the feeling that Mike was "bragging" in that scene (even if he supposedly wanted to distance himself from the Family). Watch the way Kay looks at him in disbelief (after she heard the story), and the way Michael announces that he wants nothing to do with that life. He didn't need much prompting from Kay.....he WANTED to tell that story!

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18345
10/11/04 10:49 AM
10/11/04 10:49 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
You think so SC ??

After all he DID try to get Kay to just watch Johnny sing and she playfully nagged him; of course it's true that if he REALLY didn't want to tell her the story then nobody could've made him do it.

Another thing to consider is just the logistical fact that Kay represents US the audience..the only outsider who needs to be let in on family background relevant to the story (such as how Tom Hagen became part of the family). Her introduction to the Corleones is ours as well.

If it hadn't been worked in that Michael told Kay the bandleader story...then where else would it have fit into the film in order for us to know about it?

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18346
10/11/04 10:57 AM
10/11/04 10:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
You bring up a valid point, Apple.... that story allowed us (the audience) to get some background information, but using that same argument, by Michael insisting that Kay listen to Fontaine sing it allowed the movie-makers to add some "entertainment" to the movie (the music).

Michael told that story with some sort of "pride" which belied his feelings about the Family. This wasn't unusual for him.....he'd later try to show that he was dealing with his feelings because it was business, not personal. But we know better.

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18347
10/11/04 11:00 AM
10/11/04 11:00 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
You'll notice that Kay prods it out of him when he'd rather they listen to Johnny singing.

Apple
Excellent point! In fact, when Kay first asked, Michael tried to divert her by saying, "Let's listen to the music," or some such.
Both the novel and the film show a pattern of Michael revealing things or doing things only when other people insist. It's as if he has an ethical quid pro quo: don't ask, I won't tell (or do). At the end of GF, he tells Kay not to ask him about his business, as if not asking makes it legit.

(SPOILER)

In the novel, Kay flees to New Hampshire with the kids after the Great Massacre of 1955. Michael sends Tom to persuade her to come back. She confronts Tom, tells him that she can't love Michael because he "made a fool" out of her by agreeing to stand godfather to Connie and Carlo's son, then arranging for Carlo's murder. Hagen's reply is worth repeating verbatim:
"You're mad because he lied to you. Well, he warned you never to ask him about business. You're mad because he was Godfather to Carlo's boy. But you made him do that."
Nice rationale, eh?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18348
10/11/04 03:53 PM
10/11/04 03:53 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
In fact, it was not a serious family secret. He didn't tell her about Don's killing someone, or ordering any actual murder. In the book he brought her there to introduce as his future wife, part of that family. And if he wished to make her understand that Cosa Nostra isn't a House of Peace, how could he say less than that?

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18349
10/11/04 08:55 PM
10/11/04 08:55 PM
Washington, D.C.
sicilianspider Offline
Made Member
sicilianspider  Offline
Made Member
Washington, D.C.
I simply think that he knew her personality well enough to have a good sense of trust with her. His instinct proved to be correct, especially in the second film while she watches him lie about his crimes in front of the board of chairmen. orange

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18350
10/11/04 11:12 PM
10/11/04 11:12 PM
The Lost Don Offline
Wiseguy
The Lost Don  Offline
Wiseguy
Well the intresting thing is that the story about Vito and Luca that mike tells Kay at the wedding is the only time mike talks to kay honestly about the buisness. After that he only really talks to her about the buisness once and that was when she asked him about carlo and even then he lied.

"My offer is this........Nothing."
Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18351
10/12/04 01:04 AM
10/12/04 01:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Two things of interest in this scene:

1. The original script had Kay eating spaghetti, but it was deemed too messy in the close-up pictures, so they substituted lasagna instead.

2. The original script called for Michael's dialogue to be a lot more graphic (taken from the novel), but it was changed (obviously) for the filmed sequence:

(original scripted dialogue)

Mike: "Once upon a time, about 15 years ago, some people wanted to take over my father's olive oil business. They had Al Capone send some men in from Chicago to kill my father, and they almost did".

Kay: "Al Capone"!?!

Mike: "My father sent Luca Brasi after them. He tied the two Capone men hand and foot and stuffed small bath towels into their mouths. Then he took an ax, and chopped one man's feet off....."

Kay: "Michael"

Mike: "Then the legs at the knees....."

Kay: "Michael, you're trying to scare me....."

Mike: "Then the thighs where they joined the torso".

Kay: "Michael, I don't want to hear anymore...."

Mike: "Then Luca turned to the other man...."

Kay: "Michael, I love you".

Mike: "...who out of sheer teror had swallowed the bath towel in his mouth and suffocated".

Kay: "I never know when you're telling me the truth".

Mike: "I told you you wouldn't like him." (meaning Luca Brasi)

Re: Why Would Michael Speak so Freely to Kay #18352
10/14/04 09:08 PM
10/14/04 09:08 PM
New jersey
P
Pepino Offline
Wiseguy
Pepino  Offline
P
Wiseguy
New jersey
I think some of you are taking the situation way out of bearing. If you watch, Kay was just asking and pestering him. So I think Micheal just got sick of it and decided that if he told her a horrible story that she would be in shock at the moment and would drop the whole situation, as well as never wanting to know about the family buisness again. I get that from the way she acts, and the way he quickly turns away and says " thats my family Kay its not me" then he says somethign along the lines of "come on lets enjoy the music" as she is still in shock. So it kinda tells her a story but also ends her questioning.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull