GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,572
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,043
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,380
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18325
10/10/04 10:08 AM
10/10/04 10:08 AM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
Another telling scene in the first movie is when Sonny admonishes Tom, saying "That's easy for you to say, he's not your father." Tom comes back with "I'm as much a son to him as you or Mike."

A very telling reference to the fact that Fredo was not regarded with respect by anyone in the family. Why would Tom omit Fredo unless he did not respect him??

This is nothing new, as we all know that Fredo was definitely the weak link in the family chain, but it just shows that Fredo would never have been considered to take over the family and also hints at his later anger and resentment in the second film, when he goes in with Johnny Ola and sells out Michael. "I'm smart! I got passed over! It aint what I wanted!"

And of course, Michael's cold dismissal: "You're nothing to me now, Fredo. You're not a brother, not a friend." And also that look that Michael gives Al Neri when he's embracing Fredo at Mama's funeral...now that's cold!!

"Ahh, rock stars...is there anything they don't know?" - Homer J. Simpson
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18326
10/10/04 11:20 AM
10/10/04 11:20 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Could be, Ack. Another possible explanation: Fredo wasn't in the room at the time, so Tom was being very focused in his statement.
The most telling example, IMO, occurs right at the beginning of the film: Fredo isn't present in the Don's office during any of the conferences on Connie's wedding day. He's busy getting drunk--a sure sign of weakness that the Don would disapprove of.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18327
10/10/04 12:40 PM
10/10/04 12:40 PM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Could be, Ack. Another possible explanation: Fredo wasn't in the room at the time, so Tom was being very focused in his statement.
No, I think what he said was deliberate. It was said in a very matter-of-fact manner, so that's the way I took it. Like you said, Fredo was never present when the Don or the others discussed business. He obviously was not considered to be of any value as to contributing ideas, etc, so I think Tom's omission is deliberate.
cool

Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18328
10/10/04 09:47 PM
10/10/04 09:47 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I sort of agree with both of you. Tom left Fredo out because he was not in the room, but then again he almost never was. He was nonexistant as a figure in the Family.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18329
10/10/04 10:03 PM
10/10/04 10:03 PM
Washington, D.C.
sicilianspider Offline
Made Member
sicilianspider  Offline
Made Member
Washington, D.C.
Nice find.. it does work both ways as a spur of the moment saying and a deep remark about Fredo.

Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18330
10/11/04 09:16 AM
10/11/04 09:16 AM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline
Made Member
Sophia  Offline
Made Member
Los Angeles
I always thought Fredo was not in the room during that meeting because he was at the hospital with the mom looking after Vito - he was probably feeling guilty that his weakness got the dad shot..?

Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18331
10/11/04 10:22 AM
10/11/04 10:22 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by ACK_NO. 1:
[QUOTE]... Fredo was never present when the Don or the others discussed business.
Fredo had been present during the initial meeting with Sollozzo, at which Don Vito refused to do business.

[QUOTE]... He obviously was not considered to be of any value as to contributing ideas, etc, so I think Tom's omission is deliberate.
I disagree, and agree with those who post that his mention only Sonny & Mike is only because they were the two brothers present in the room. In fact at this point Mike is still considered of little use with regard to business; there is even the moment when Tom suggests they not get him too involved.

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18332
10/13/04 11:57 AM
10/13/04 11:57 AM
Detroit
HollywoodFinocchio Offline
Wiseguy
HollywoodFinocchio  Offline
Wiseguy
Detroit
Also worth noting: when we first meet Fredo he's acting like maybe he's had a few too many. He's a little drunk and acting like a dope. I believe this was deliberately crafted in order to foreshadow.

The circle is completed in GF II when Mike says something to Tom along the lines of "Fredo's weak, and he's stupid."

The main character, it's a guy just like me. I uh -- I wouldn't even have to act -- just be myself.
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18333
10/17/04 02:42 AM
10/17/04 02:42 AM
california
Tom Offline
Capo
Tom  Offline
Capo
california
i still wonder why mike killed fredo
-he knows hes weak and stupid & wouldnt hurt a fly
-he had several people tell him he didnt know anything about a hit
-hes his brother for cryin out loud,if he knew about the hit,send him to china er sumthin

"Well at first like everybody else I, I was a soldier."
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18334
10/17/04 02:58 AM
10/17/04 02:58 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by Tom:
-hes his brother for cryin out loud,if he knew about the hit,send him to china er sumthin
I think he did it to add another demension to Mike, he was cold hearted and killing his own brother showed that he wouldn't let ANYONE get away with ANYTHING. Just my opinion though

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18335
10/17/04 11:44 AM
10/17/04 11:44 AM
ACK_NO. 1 Offline OP
Button
ACK_NO. 1  Offline OP
Button
Just go back to the first movie, when Fredo lashes out at Michael for going against Moe Greene. Remember how coldly he told him "Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family. Ever." Maybe those weren't the exact words, but...

I still think if Fredo had left with Michael the night in Cuba when the rebels led by Castro forced out the presidente and come clean about what happened, maybe he wouldn't have killed him.

Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18336
10/17/04 10:07 PM
10/17/04 10:07 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

[b] i still wonder why mike killed fredo
Just go back to the first movie, when Fredo lashes out at Michael for going against Moe Greene. Remember how coldly he told him "Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family. Ever." Maybe those weren't the exact words, but...

I still think if Fredo had left with Michael the night in Cuba when the rebels led by Castro forced out the presidente and come clean about what happened, maybe he wouldn't have killed him. [/b]
I don't think that would have made a difference. Mike knew the minute he found out Fredo went against him he knew he was going to kill him. The only reason he survived as long as he did was because of his mother. If his mother had been dead already I think Mike would have killed him the second he found out.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Another example of how Fredo was looked over #18337
10/17/04 10:10 PM
10/17/04 10:10 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
This is getting off topic, but at that point in Michaels life, he was so distrsting of everyone, if Fredo would have confessed,not run,etc, I believe Michael still would have killed him.Fredo was weak, and stupid and his boathouse rant"I was stepped over....it aint he way I wanted it" means he will never accept his place under his younger brother. Yeah,sure, he genuinely felt bad at the time, but Fredo guilt would dissapear the minute someone else offered "something in it for me, on myu own." And they would have too.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull