GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BugsyM, 1 invisible), 285 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,564
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,033
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,350
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Oscars Night #150563
03/06/06 06:30 PM
03/06/06 06:30 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by don vencent:
WHY :rolleyes:
Because you're oversensitive.

Yeah, we're all racist swine! :rolleyes: Seriously, grow up. And for the record, Eminem wasn't Oscar worthy. This year the nominees weren't good either. If anyone it should've been "Death to Birth," which wasn't nominated.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150564
03/06/06 07:28 PM
03/06/06 07:28 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Quote:
you guys sound like a bunch of cry babes my God
THREE 6 MAFIA won because em I don,t know it was
the best song :rolleyes: but it's funnie nobody said noting
when that white rapper won a oscar for 8 mile I WONDER
Yea, you're right don vencent. Nobody complained about Eminem winning that Oscar because he's white. And we're ALL complaining because Three 6 Mafia are black. You hit the nail right on the head, son. :rolleyes:

ANYway, the Oscars were ok last night. I was shocked that Crash won best picture. I was pulling for Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor, but I'm not upset that Phillip Seymour Hoffman won. He definitely earned it.

Oh, and in case you're keeping track: Three 6 Mafia: one Oscar. Martin Scorsese: 0 Oscars. (sorry, had to jump on the bandwagon )

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Oscars Night #150565
03/06/06 07:38 PM
03/06/06 07:38 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
Happy Birthday DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
You are obviously calling us racists but I'd have more respect for you if you just came out and said the word. But besides that, since you are WONDERING WHY, can you show me where JG posted that Eminem won an oscar? I sure didn't see him post it, and I was watching a basketball game and switching to the oscars when I had the chance. So use all of your little smilies and mad faces but before you start accusing people of something such as racism why don't you stop and think first.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Oscars Night #150566
03/06/06 07:40 PM
03/06/06 07:40 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
[QUOTE]...I think if they're looking for a host who could bring the same comic relief as a host maybe they should consider Robin Williams.
I wouldn't want to see Robin hosting...he's just too all over the place and while it was neat some 30 years ago, now when he's on a roll it just looks silly.

Personally, I thought the best host in recent years next to Billy Crystal was Steve Martin. I can't imagine why they didn't ask him back..unless maybe he too has declined from doing it again.

And if David Letterman was asked to host all those years ago, I can't see why the don't invite Jay Leno at least on time as well.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150567
03/06/06 07:49 PM
03/06/06 07:49 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Does anybody else think that Ben Stiller's skit was stupid?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Oscars Night #150568
03/06/06 07:51 PM
03/06/06 07:51 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:

I think I'd rather see 5 minutes of the accounts then that weird skit.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Oscars Night #150569
03/06/06 08:08 PM
03/06/06 08:08 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Anybody know what happened with Lauren Bacall? I switched on in the middle of her presentation and she seemed a bit confused for a second, then looked ok. I thought maybe she was having trouble with the teleprompter. Then a friend of mine who saw the whole thing said at one point she seemed to put her arm out, as if to steady herself.

Senior moment? After all she's 81. I bet it was the teleprompter, though.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150570
03/06/06 08:27 PM
03/06/06 08:27 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

She was flubbing a few lines.

The best moment aside the Robert Altman award last night was the montage of classic westerns with "gay" moments.

John Wayne: I want you on that wagon spread eagle!

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150571
03/06/06 09:31 PM
03/06/06 09:31 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Though I was very happy that Crash won, I thought Jon Stewart sucked, and the rest of the show was a joke too. It seemed very "mainstream" this year. When Racheal Weiz(sp) won, the annoncer made a comment about being known for the Mummy films. :rolleyes: I missed the first half, but from what I did see, I didnt miss much.

Altman's award was nice, though.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Oscars Night #150572
03/06/06 09:56 PM
03/06/06 09:56 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I noticed Bacall messed up a little. She seemed somewhat confused. However, I want to say she talked a little funny, as though maybe she had a stroke???? I hadn't heard that she did, I just got that impression. Yet, it's true, it may just be a senior moment.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Oscars Night #150573
03/06/06 11:28 PM
03/06/06 11:28 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
First off, why am I attacking MOUNTAIN, a movie I haven't seen? Really, I was just restating what Capo said, who apparently didn't much like it.

But fuck, I wished MOUNTAIN had won, that way CRASH wouldn'
t have won...

No really, no one has said WHY "CRASH" deserved the Best Picture Oscar of 2005. Why? Was it touching? Was the acting superb? Was the script(*vomits*) great?

Why?

Re: Oscars Night #150574
03/07/06 12:43 AM
03/07/06 12:43 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
But fuck, I wished MOUNTAIN had won, that way CRASH wouldn't have won...

No really, no one has said WHY "CRASH" deserved the Best Picture Oscar of 2005. Why? Was it touching? Was the acting superb? Was the script(*vomits*) great?

Why?
ronnie you bring up a good point. I thought it was laughable that Crash was even nominated. Now that it won makes me sick. I'll chalk this up on the Oscar list that the Academy screwed up on, which currently has:

1) Denzel Washington winning Best Actor for Training Day over Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind

2) Martin Scorsese not winning ONE Oscar for Raging Bull

3) Martin Scorsese not winning ONE Oscar for Goodfellas

4) Now Crash winning Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain

Re: Oscars Night #150575
03/07/06 04:20 AM
03/07/06 04:20 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline OP
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Obviously his, since he stated it?
obviously not, because he hasn't watched the movie yet AFAIK. So I guess he's not in the position to state BBM is "overrated and mediocre" unless he's using someone else's opinion.

Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't blame homophobia on it not winning? The Academy is more then ready for a homosexual love film.
they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. They still have problems when it comes to a true homosexual love story, a romantic one. This threatens them. So, in their minds it's better to award a movie like Crash. It's politically correct and makes an excellent shield for their so called progressive consciences!

You know what? Today I'm even angrier than yesterday! So you better don't tease me on the BBM oscar snub.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150576
03/07/06 04:44 AM
03/07/06 04:44 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
Actually that was the only part of the show that I loved.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Oscars Night #150577
03/07/06 05:00 AM
03/07/06 05:00 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] Am I the only one who doesn't blame homophobia on it not winning? The Academy is more then ready for a homosexual love film.
they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. They still have problems when it comes to a true homosexual love story, a romantic one. This threatens them. So, in their minds it's better to award a movie like Crash. It's politically correct and makes an excellent shield for their so called progressive consciences! [/b][/quote]I don't think it was because of homosexual theme that BBM didn't win either. Editing for Crash won, so I think they must've somehow thought that it was a better film, not because of its theme but because of the overall film techniques.

As for how they came up with this idea, Three 6 Mafia won an Oscar, enough said.

BTW, I haven't watched either of the two, so I can't give my personal opinion.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Oscars Night #150578
03/07/06 05:13 AM
03/07/06 05:13 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
What we get is a repetitive, heavy-handed film in which neither character really interested me. Director Lee lacks subtlety for the most part--tellingly, it takes less time to read the novella than it does to watch the film.
Mick, I read the novella and it didn't really strike me as much as the movie did and yes, I guess it took me less than 135 minutes to read it. But what does it means? To me, it adds more merits to the movie. In my opinion it purposedly has a slow pace, since there cannot be much action where the characters are stuck in a very frustrating situation ("a goddam bitch of a a unsatisfactory situation") where "nothing ended, nothing began, nothing resolved". I think the movie, as intimist as it is, nonetheless shows us a rather clear pattern. Two people meet. They are not supposed to fall in love. Despite all, they do. Desperately. They cannot live together, they cannot live apart. All they have is Brokeback Mountain, a place where they lived a short season of happiness and could be true to their own selves. But it's all they got. When one of them dies, the other cannot but cherish the memories of the only love of his life. This, at least, will be not taken away. The rest is just emptiness and solitude.

Not much action, you see. A lot of emotions, though. The more I think of it, the more my heart breaks.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150579
03/07/06 07:13 AM
03/07/06 07:13 AM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
obviously not, because he hasn't watched the movie yet AFAIK. So I guess he's not in the position to state BBM is "overrated and mediocre" unless he's using someone else's opinion.
Ah, I misread his post the same way you did. :p

But still, the Academy is more then ready. The only reason Crash won is due to the fact it's about all races and not just one minority. Sort of a grand slam, politically correct-wise. Had Crash not been on, Brokeback Mountain would win.

Re: Oscars Night #150580
03/07/06 07:43 AM
03/07/06 07:43 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. They still have problems when it comes to a true homosexual love story, a romantic one. This threatens them. So, in their minds it's better to award a movie like Crash. It's politically correct and makes an excellent shield for their so called progressive consciences!
Prissy and ridiculous? Truman Capote?

Well Brokeback WAS nominated for everything and it DID win 3 Oscars, just not Best Picture. The Academy is more than ready to award a gay love film. It was the most nominated film out there, was it not?

You can't blame homophobia on Brokeback Mountain losing. Upsets happen.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Oscars Night #150581
03/07/06 10:17 AM
03/07/06 10:17 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
...they are ready for homosexual films if the characters are prissy and ridiculous, à la "Capote". Apparently they still have problems when the characters are as manly as themselves, as their own sons. ... Today I'm even angrier than yesterday! So you better don't tease me on the BBM oscar snub ...
I hate to break it to you...but Truman Capote was a genius not to mention a very interesting guy. Have you bothered to read any of his writings? As a kid, I used to thoroughly enjoy his appearances on the Merv Griffin show.

You seem to feel that Brokenback Mountain didn't win Best Picture precisely because of the gay cowboys. It is entirely possible that once they viewed both pictures, more Academy voters decided in the end that 'Crash' was simply the better film. There was talk all week prior to the awards, and right up to that evening that 'Crash' might just be the breakout winner. So it was really not a surprise to me.

Unless you truly feel that Brokenback should have won because it was a better film than Crash (of which the majority of Academy voters did not agree), then I can't understand why you are 'angry'.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150582
03/07/06 10:33 AM
03/07/06 10:33 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I hate to break it to you...but Truman Capote was a genius not to mention a very interesting guy. Have you bothered to read any of his writings?
Obviously I was talking about the character, not the actual Truman Capote whose geniality I'm not even dreaming of questioning and I'm sorry if I gave this impression. I was talking of the eccentric looks, the effeminate aspects, à la Cage aux folles, if you prefer. So totally different from the "two gay cowboys" whose masculinity nobody could ever question, which, in my opinion is, for some people, way more "dangerous" and "frightful" just because is so far from the rather harmless gay stereotype everyone is more or less familiar with.

Re: Oscars Night #150583
03/07/06 10:48 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Whats all the fuss. How about this....Crash was a better movie than Brokeback Mountain. Nothing more than that.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Oscars Night #150584
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Prissy and ridiculous? Truman Capote?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, DA. I was not talking of the writer. Just of the character. The looks of the character, to be more accurate.

Re: Oscars Night #150585
03/07/06 10:49 AM
03/07/06 10:49 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Quote:
Three 6 Mafia gave the most upbeat and sincerely happy acceptance speech of anyone.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Oscars Night #150586
03/07/06 10:50 AM
03/07/06 10:50 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Whats all the fuss. How about this....Crash was a better movie than Brokeback Mountain. Nothing more than that.
This is your opinion. Mine is different. That's all, DT.

Re: Oscars Night #150587
03/07/06 12:23 PM
03/07/06 12:23 PM
D
Don Giorgio Gambino Offline
Underboss
Don Giorgio Gambino  Offline
D
Underboss
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by don vencent:
[b] WHY :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're all racist swine! :rolleyes: Seriously, grow up. And for the record, Eminem wasn't Oscar worthy. This year the nominees weren't good either. If anyone it should've been "Death to Birth," which wasn't nominated. [/b][/quote]Eminem deserved the Oscar as did 3 6 Mafia, both upbeat songs from movies that knew what they were...movies about inner street characters and rough-edged situations. 3 6 Mafia deserved it. Of course, you are biased against Rap, so that's why you are complaining.

Death to Birth was a pretentious song from a vapidly pretentious movie.

Re: Oscars Night #150588
03/07/06 02:36 PM
03/07/06 02:36 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Quote:
Not much action, you see. A lot of emotions, though. The more I think of it, the more my heart breaks.
I agree with Lavinia on this. This whole scenario makes sense only in the context of a taboo/impossible relationship. At the same time their mutual love is as real and true as any other heterosexual one. So it is a tragedy and the movie brought it out very well. Crash was cliched, coincidence and stereotype filled story. It had a message, but I hate movies with an explicit preachy message.
On the other hand, I would put jarhead even ahead of BBM. That is the kind of movie that will become a celebrated one years later.

Re: Oscars Night #150589
03/07/06 02:52 PM
03/07/06 02:52 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
[QUOTE]...Sorry for the misunderstanding, DA. I was not talking of the writer. Just of the character. The looks of the character, to be more accurate.
The portrayal in the movie is based upon the real life Truman Capote. So are you saying that audiences are somehow more comfortable with the eccentric, more flamboyant type of homosexual as Capote was (or the comical one played by Nathan Lane in 'Birdcage)...rather than the fictional cowboys in love depicted in Brokeback Mtn?

But aside from that, do you truly feel that the cowboys in love theme is the reason for it not winning Best Picture over Crash?

Frankly, I hadn't even heard of the film 'Crash' until this past week as it got close to Oscar night. Contrary to all they hype around Brokeback Mtn precisely because of the subject matter. The fact that the move that received MUCH less publicity was still considered worthy of the Best Picture vote speaks volumes for the work itself.

Though I haven't seen either of them...it appears more and more that the right movie won.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150590
03/07/06 03:30 PM
03/07/06 03:30 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Giorgio Gambino:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by don vencent:
[b] WHY :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're all racist swine! :rolleyes: Seriously, grow up. And for the record, Eminem wasn't Oscar worthy. This year the nominees weren't good either. If anyone it should've been "Death to Birth," which wasn't nominated. [/b][/quote]Eminem deserved the Oscar as did 3 6 Mafia, both upbeat songs from movies that knew what they were...movies about inner street characters and rough-edged situations. 3 6 Mafia deserved it. Of course, you are biased against Rap, so that's why you are complaining.

Death to Birth was a pretentious song from a vapidly pretentious movie. [/b][/quote]How is Last Days pretentious? Once again I hear that horrible word still being used without any backing up. Last Days personally, I feel is the best of last year. A haunting character study that never felt like a movie. "Death to Birth" was also a great song, with wonderful lyrics. Of course we're called biased. You hate gays! You hate rap!

I'm really tired of this shit. People simply can't realize that Crash was politically better for the Academy's image, being a multi-character film about racism. As for Last Days, how is it pretentious? Gus Van Sant's Death Trilogy are all masterworks, IMO. Cinderella Man, was pretentious. Crash was somewhat pretentious. Domino was pretentious. How the hell is Van Sant pretentious?

As Capo said, the way most people use "pretentious" is pretentious in itself.

Re: Oscars Night #150591
03/07/06 04:33 PM
03/07/06 04:33 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
DGG, welcome back. Good to see an old face around. You may even want to venture over the new Film board , which we all migrated to after a year or two of your absence.

I fail to see how Last Days is pretentious. It's slow, experimental, decidedly arthouse stuff which you wouldn't see near a multiplex. Does that make it pretentious?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Oscars Night #150592
03/07/06 07:26 PM
03/07/06 07:26 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I gotta agree with DV here....how the hell is LAST DAYS pretentious?

CRASH...that's pretentious melodrama for the whiney soul.

P.S. - Anyone still willing to tell me why CRASH deserved the top prize? I mean stand up for it folks, I mean I'll give you credit for that at least...just why?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull