GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 279 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,564
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,036
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,363
Posts1,059,355
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Oscars Night #150533
03/06/06 04:43 AM
03/06/06 04:43 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline OP
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I haven't seen it yet, Lav... I wish I had before this joke-parade of Hollywood! But yeah, I've heard only good things about it (from those who've actually SEEN in), so I was kinda rooting for it. Ah, well...
Geoff, I'm absolutely in love with this movie. I don't give a damn if it's about two gay men. I found it to be a wonderful, heartbreaking love story tout court. So please, go watch it ASAP, I'd love to hear what is your opinion.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150534
03/06/06 04:44 AM
03/06/06 04:44 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Lav - DMC was just joking, "tongue-in-cheek" like...

(I think, anyway!)

As I said, I've only heard great things about it -- from those who've actually SEEN IT. As for the rest, well, I don't know....

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Oscars Night #150535
03/06/06 04:47 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I actually don't get to the theater that often - to me, it has to be worthy of a 60-foot screen (and that usually means Sci-Fi)... But, I will be first (or maybe second) in line to get the DVD when it's released!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Oscars Night #150536
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
Agreed
thanks Mista. I'm totally disgusted by the Academy, but am glad you agree. We are the minority here. We few, we happy few.....

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150537
03/06/06 04:51 AM
03/06/06 04:51 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
But, I will be first (or maybe second) in line to get the DVD when it's released!
I heard in the USA it should be released early in April. I'll buy it too (unfortunately I got to wait longer).

Re: Oscars Night #150538
03/06/06 05:33 AM
03/06/06 05:33 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by J Geoff:
[b] I haven't seen it yet, Lav... I wish I had before this joke-parade of Hollywood! But yeah, I've heard only good things about it (from those who've actually SEEN in), so I was kinda rooting for it. Ah, well...
Geoff, I'm absolutely in love with this movie. I don't give a damn if it's about two gay men. I found it to be a wonderful, heartbreaking love story tout court. So please, go watch it ASAP, I'd love to hear what is your opinion. [/b][/quote]I'm glad I'm not the only person on the boards who loved Brokeback Mountain and was pulling for it in all cateogires that it was nominated for. I was also pulling for Phoenix for his portrayal of Johnny Cash but I knew he wouldn't win. Reese, Rachael and George really weren't a surprise either.

Re: Oscars Night #150539
03/06/06 06:05 AM
03/06/06 06:05 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
What is Three 6 Mafia?

Edit: Never mind.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Oscars Night #150540
03/06/06 07:18 AM
03/06/06 07:18 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
[b] Besides, here is a (not) bold prediction: CRASH, MOUNTAIN will be forgotten within 5 years.
Don't know anything about Crash, but Brokeback Mountain will be not forgotten, Ronnie. At least by those who love movies which got something to tell. [/b][/quote]Oh please. Same thing's been said about last year's Best Picture, the year before that's last picture, etc.

Anyway folks, Three 6 Mafia 1 Oscar, Martin Scorsese 0. :rolleyes:

While Crash was a decent film, it's no where near Oscar worthy. And yes, RRA, it will be forgotten.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Oscars Night #150541
03/06/06 07:25 AM
03/06/06 07:25 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I still don't see how 3-6 Mafia and Martin Scorsese are comparable. I hated their song so much I even didn't pay attention that Three 6 Mafia was their band name.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Oscars Night #150542
03/06/06 09:38 AM
03/06/06 09:38 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
Happy Birthday DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] Crash won Best Picture!?
It was supposed to be Brokeback Mountain but what happened was they were told they were going to receive Oscar but they insisted on giving it to Oscar [/b][/quote]:rolleyes: this is very typical and explains too well why this movie was not given a well deserved Oscar. [/b][/quote]Lavinia- it was a joke.
But in my opinion, I don't think this movie would get half the publicity that it did if it was about 2 straight cowboys. The Gay Community rallied behind it and every tv or talk show had at least 1 gay person come on and talk about how great it is for the gay community and for the world.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Oscars Night #150543
03/06/06 09:41 AM
03/06/06 09:41 AM

I think there is an echo in this place...... anyway I don't know if anyone heard this part last night but

For those keeping score at home,Martin Scorsese 0 Oscars,three 6 Mafia one Oscar
:rolleyes: :p

Re: Oscars Night #150544
03/06/06 10:06 AM
03/06/06 10:06 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'm hearing a couple "reviews" this morning thrashing Stewart's performance hosting the Oscars.

Granted, there have been better, but I didn't think he was bad at all.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Oscars Night #150545
03/06/06 10:39 AM
03/06/06 10:39 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
I was a little disappointed that they didn't include Don Knotts in memorial part of the show....(
Although he did do a few movies, Don Knotts was basically a television star. We'll see him mentioned on the Emmy Awards this coming September. And I'm sure there will be a special tribute to him on the TV Land Awards later this month.

Anyway, even it they had intended to include him...Knotts died just a week before the Oscar telecast. They usually have those montages ready by then and there may have been no time to include people who happen to die within a week of the awards telecast.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150546
03/06/06 10:44 AM
03/06/06 10:44 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I'm hearing a couple "reviews" this morning thrashing Stewart's performance hosting the Oscars.

Granted, there have been better, but I didn't think he was bad at all. ...
I too thought at the beginning that he was going to be aweful. Then I realized he was understandably nervous and began rooting for him to find his pace. Hosting an awards show, especially the Oscars is a VERY difficult task and I think overall he did end up doing a good job for his first outing...I hope they ask him back next year.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150547
03/06/06 10:52 AM
03/06/06 10:52 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Apple,

And weren't you just "getting down" during the performance of "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp?" Definitely the highlight for me.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Oscars Night #150548
03/06/06 11:04 AM
03/06/06 11:04 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Lavinia- it was a joke.
I'm glad to hear that, DMC. A kidding smiley would have helped me to not get you wrong. Sorry

Quote:
But in my opinion, I don't think this movie would get half the publicity that it did if it was about 2 straight cowboys. The Gay Community rallied behind it and every tv or talk show had at least 1 gay person come on and talk about how great it is for the gay community and for the world.
Well, publicity has its own ways and behind any movie there is publicity to support it. The gay community has any right to support the movie because it got a tremendous potential for them. They see the movie as theirs. And rightly so. However I have no particular interest in the political/social impact of the gay-related issues, so I personally don't see at the movie as a "gay thing" uniquely. I love to interpret it more as the story of a denied love (and the devastation, the unhappiness, the solitude this causes, which I can relate very well to) rather than a "gay cowboy story". It could have been about a man and a woman of different religion, or any other forbidden love because of any social stigma (a married man in love with another woman and vice versa, a woman in love with a priest, a woman in love with a much younger man and so on). And even so, if it was portrayed as artistically as BBM was, I would have considered it a masterpiece as well. I personally consider "The remainings of the day" by James Ivory a masterpiece. An extremely underrated splendid movie, starring a gigantic Anthony Hopkins. Here is again the story a denied love. No gays, no pruderies. Just a man incapable of getting out of his own golden cage and the realization of the happiness he had at hand and lost when it's too late.
You asked what if BBM was about two straights? I think it would have been perceived as less "dangerous" and who knows? It would have been easily given the Oscar it deserved. But then again, since this story is the story of two men in love, well, gays are rightely proud of it. And it's ok with me. Art is art. I don't care what community is the sponsor.

Honestly I was hopeful in the Academy there was less bigotry by now, even if somewhere in my mind I had this fear. I'm glad in Europe the "gay love story" did not prevent this movie to get all the recognitions it deserved. I'm especially proud that this movie was first awarded in my country (Venice, september 2005, golden lion for best picture).

BTW, have you watched the movie?

Re: Oscars Night #150549
03/06/06 11:13 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Brokeback Mountain

An argentinian composer won an oscar for the soundtrack, Gustavo Santaolalla.

http://www.bmi.com/news/200601/20060118a.asp

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Oscars Night #150550
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
... weren't you just "getting down" during the performance of "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp?" ...
Didn't watch it. As promised, after the opening monologue and Clooney's Supporting Actor win...we pretty much switched back & forth to it the rest of the evening. At one point we did happen to turn it on and they were in the middle of that number.

My daughter said it all when she asked , 'WHAT are they DOING???'. I replied that they were trying to sing a nominated song and then we switched back to Disney Channel where she was happily viewing 'Mulan'.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150551
03/06/06 11:18 AM
03/06/06 11:18 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
Brokeback Mountain

An argentinian composer won an oscar for the soundtrack, Gustavo Santaolalla.

http://www.bmi.com/news/200601/20060118a.asp
yeah, wonderful soundtrack. Heartbreaking. Perfect. Congrats to your countryman, DPN!

Re: Oscars Night #150552
03/06/06 11:37 AM
03/06/06 11:37 AM

Quote:

BTW, have you watched the movie?
No, I haven't, and I'm not one of those people who can say if something is oscar worthy or not oscar worthy (I liked Batman Begins so I'll say thats Oscar Worthy ) I just haven't heard anything about the actual storyline of the movie or the movie itself being that great until they bring in the fact that it was about 2 gay men. It seems to me from what I've heard that if the movie was about 2 straight people that it would have been just another love story and no big deal about it.

I'll give an example to see if I can clear up my point. The movie 50 first dates (I haven't seen it) but I heard nothing good about it and most people have forgotten it. If it is the exact same story but you put Adam Sandler with another man rather than a woman should that make it oscar worthy, in my opinion it doesn't.

As far as my joke was concerned, maybe I'm hanging out with plaw too much

Re: Oscars Night #150553
03/06/06 11:51 AM
03/06/06 11:51 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Memoirs of a Geisha winning Best Cinematography (and two others) was my biggest disappointment. I didn't care for any of the big awards anyway.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Oscars Night #150554
03/06/06 12:01 PM
03/06/06 12:01 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
It seems to me from what I've heard that if the movie was about 2 straight people that it would have been just another love story and no big deal about it.
ok, it's a beautiful, heartbreaking gay love story. What's the difference? The film is great not because it's about two gay men. It is great because it amazingly shows two people in love (which happen to be gay) that cannot be happy because of social pressures. And it does so with two amazing actors (both deserving an Oscar IMO), few words and no special effects. Thought provoking not (just) because of the gay issues, but because it shows the total devastation of two people which are denied to be what they really are.

Quote:
If it is the exact same story but you put Adam Sandler with another man rather than a woman should that make it oscar worthy, in my opinion it doesn't.
You mean, making a comedy out of a tragedy?
sorry I think I didn't see what you mean.

Re: Oscars Night #150555
03/06/06 12:07 PM
03/06/06 12:07 PM

Lavinia I didn't mean making a comedy out of a tragedy. I don't know how to describe what I mean. It's like if you take any regular love story ever made, and without making a comedy of it or anything just make it 2 gay men I personally don't think that should make it any more oscar worthy than the original.

I'm very bad at putting my thoughts into words, maybe someone can help

I understand what you are saying, that you feel it is a great STORY no matter if it was 2 gay men, 2 gay women, or 2 straight people (right?). My argument is that I have heard that it isn't even a great story.

Re: Oscars Night #150556
03/06/06 12:12 PM
03/06/06 12:12 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I didn't watch all of the Oscars, after they get into special effects and costume that pretty much puts me to sleep. But in regards to Jon Stewart's hosting skills I don't think he was in any way fabulous, but he did have his good moments. His joke about Dick Cheney shooting Bjork and the whole skit of him saying what people are saying about L.A., but that he didn't have a joke, he just wanted them to know that's what people are saying, they were funny. I think we're trying to compare everyone to Billy Crystal, or maybe even Steve Martin. That's not fair to anyone I think. As long as David Letterman or Whoopi don't host it again I think it will be fine.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Oscars Night #150557
03/06/06 01:02 PM
03/06/06 01:02 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
For the first time in a long time I thought all the oscars were awarded to the right people in the right categories. I never saw Brokeback Mountain, but if it does have any merit, it would be in the writinig, and thats what won.
"Crash" was definitely the best picture of the year, the guy who played Capote was the best actor, Clooney was the best supporting actor, no question. As for supporting actress, she did a solid job in an otherwise great movie, and I hope it causes people to go out and see it or at least rent the DVD. As for Reese Witherspoon, she was terrific, and probably cause she did her own singing merited her getting the award. In her case, however I also think she has been a a huge box office draw for many years now, so in part she was being rewarded for bringing in lots of money in lots of movies.

As for Jon Stewart....well, I remain a Daily SHow fan, but he was way in over his head. They should use Billy Crystal every year.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Oscars Night #150558
03/06/06 02:35 PM
03/06/06 02:35 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
My problem with Brokeback Mountain is the schematic way in which it treats its characters. The opening sequence is really beautiful; after the first summer, the narrative jumps ahead as frequently as it does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (although in that film, they were going back in time). What we get is a repetitive, heavy-handed film in which neither character really interested me. Director Lee lacks subtlety for the most part--tellingly, it takes less time to read the novella than it does to watch the film.

If it had been about a heterosexual couple, I'd've felt the same; but then, if it had been, it wouldn't have been made. Nor would it have even got an Oscar nod. Crash wouldn't have won either, had it not tackled racism and delivered a message that we should all know anyway: racism is bad.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Oscars Night #150559
03/06/06 02:50 PM
03/06/06 02:50 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by dontomasso:
As for Jon Stewart....well, I remain a Daily SHow fan, but he was way in over his head. They should use Billy Crystal every year.
Billy Crystal has made a Crysal clea, (pun intended) that he doesn't want to host it anymore.

I think if they're looking for a host who could bring the same comic relief as a host maybe they should consider Robin Williams.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Oscars Night #150560
03/06/06 03:14 PM
03/06/06 03:14 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
[b] You know, as overrated and mediocre as BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN can be,
whose opinion is this? [/b][/quote]Obviously his, since he stated it?

Am I the only one who doesn't blame homophobia on it not winning? The Academy is more then ready for a homosexual love film. What they aren't ready for are Independent films that get recognition at smaller awards. Why do you think Crash won? Because it's about loving each other and blah blah blah. A good movie but ridiculously overrated.

Quote:
Memoirs of a Geisha winning Best Cinematography (and two others) was my biggest disappointment. I didn't care for any of the big awards anyway.
It also beat The New World in that category, which I hear has excellent cinematography. To be fair though I have yet to see either.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150561
03/06/06 03:22 PM
03/06/06 03:22 PM
D
Don Giorgio Gambino Offline
Underboss
Don Giorgio Gambino  Offline
D
Underboss
Well, it's been quite awhile since I been here and nothing has changed!...which is a horrible, horrible thing.

Astounded that Crash didn't win, since I'm a huge Brokeback fan, but it's still a good choice (needless to say, all five nominees were fantastic)

"It's Out Here For A Pimp" won! WHohooo! A very cool song, really great acceptance speech. It would have been great if Placido Domingo had sung the song like he wanted, but 3 6 Mafia was still good (after all, they wrote the song) I couldn't wait to hear the responses of the uptight, uppity-clappity turruntuntuns who haven't seen the movie, but bashed the song anyways

Mighty glad Hoffman, Whiterspoon and THE MAN (George Clooney) won.

Re: Oscars Night #150562
03/06/06 05:04 PM
03/06/06 05:04 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Lavi, Brokeback Mountain received tons of recognition over here. Most everyone was shocked that it didn't get the Best Picture Oscar. So, it did receive recognition. Alot of it.

Hey, how's it going?
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull