GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 238 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,000
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,361
Posts1,059,258
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Oscars Night #150353
03/02/06 05:33 AM
03/02/06 05:33 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline OP
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline OP
Underboss
Where will you be on Oscars Night? Planted in front of the TV all night? I'd love to and have even the chance to because I got cable Sky TV which is going to cover all the event live, but honestly not even my huge love for cinema can stuck me in front of the TV from some 2 in the night till 6 in the morning if I'm supposed to be at work at 9! So I guess I'll watch the recap on Monday night and enjoy it live here on the BBs. I'll be crossing my fingers for Brokeback Mountain in all categories it has been nominated (especially best picture, best direction and best actor and supporting actor, Go Heath, go Jake!!!!!) ) and of course for La bestia nel cuore by Cristina Comencini, running for best foreign film.

I hate this damn timezone stuff!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150354
03/02/06 06:11 AM
03/02/06 06:11 AM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I'll probably be watching it, even though it's a bullshit program.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150355
03/02/06 06:22 AM
03/02/06 06:22 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I'll probably be watching it, even though it's a bullshit program.
Well, bullshit programs are generally the most exciting ones! DV, I confess I'd do anything to be there (in the theatre) once in my life. C'mon, for a movie lover like me, it'd be like being catapulted in "Alice in wonderland" in the role of Alice!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150356
03/02/06 09:59 AM
03/02/06 09:59 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
Yeah I dont always feel as though the academy gets it quite right in their winners or even their nominations, but its still cinematic history in the making, and this is the first year where I've actually seen most of the major films in contention for the top prizes, so i'll be watching attentively.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Oscars Night #150357
03/02/06 01:51 PM
03/02/06 01:51 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'll be watching it. I gotta wake up and open as a result (I usually close)

Re: Oscars Night #150358
03/02/06 02:39 PM
03/02/06 02:39 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
It will be on at 4:30 in the morning here and I'll be at work at 9:00 as well. I might sleep earlier the night before and be an early bird.

It doesn't look good for me being a Clooney fan considering the way British Awards went. It will bore me to death since all awards will go to Brokeback Mountain, and I've not gotten to watch it yet. It better be worth all the awards it's going to win.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Oscars Night #150359
03/02/06 04:16 PM
03/02/06 04:16 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
I won't watch. The broadcast time is very inconvenient, and there's no Al this year. Besides, I didn't watch most of the films nominated. I hope Knightley and Co don't get anything tho.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Oscars Night #150360
03/02/06 04:37 PM
03/02/06 04:37 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

A quote I like a lot.

"Up to now -- since shortly after the Bolshevik Revolution -- most movie makers have been assuming that they know how to make movies. Just like a bad writer doesn't ask himself if he's really capable of writing a novel -- he thinks he knows. If movie makers were building airplanes, there would be an accident every time one took off. But in the movies, these accidents are called Oscars."

--Jean-Luc Godard

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150361
03/02/06 05:21 PM
03/02/06 05:21 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
A quote I like a lot.

"Up to now -- since shortly after the Bolshevik Revolution -- most movie makers have been assuming that they know how to make movies. Just like a bad writer doesn't ask himself if he's really capable of writing a novel -- he thinks he knows. If movie makers were building airplanes, there would be an accident every time one took off. But in the movies, these accidents are called Oscars."

--Jean-Luc Godard
Godard is my hero.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Oscars Night #150362
03/03/06 04:13 AM
03/03/06 04:13 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] A quote I like a lot.

--Jean-Luc Godard
Godard is my hero. [/b][/quote]yeah, I wonder if he ever got an Oscar. I bet he didn't. This attitude is very typical. It reminds me Aesop's tale of the fox and the grapes.

Re: Oscars Night #150363
03/03/06 04:35 AM
03/03/06 04:35 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
It will bore me to death since all awards will go to Brokeback Mountain, and I've not gotten to watch it yet. It better be worth all the awards it's going to win.
It IS worth. It's a work of art. Art, with a capital A. But I guess it's not going to win all the awards you think. For instance they say Heath Ledger (who is amazing, believe me, he was not just acting, he was living the role -- same goes for Jake Gyllenhall, as amazing as Heath-- two heartbreaking performances, unforgettable looks, very few words) is not winning best actor, they say Philip Seymour Hoffmann ("Capote") is winning. However I still hope Heath will win. He gave me chills. Jake gave me chills. The story gave me chills. The way the movie portrayed desperation, solitude and unhappiness due to the impossibility of being true to your own self and living accordingly gave me chills. I felt shocked and totally moved by the film. I've been living in a sort of permanent emotional turmoil since watching it. Which is rare for me. At least with such an intensity. It only happens when you come across a piece of Art.

Re: Oscars Night #150364
03/03/06 06:37 AM
03/03/06 06:37 AM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] A quote I like a lot.

--Jean-Luc Godard
Godard is my hero. [/b][/quote]yeah, I wonder if he ever got an Oscar. I bet he didn't. This attitude is very typical. It reminds me Aesop's tale of the fox and the grapes. [/b][/quote]Godard has been to Cannes, which I consider above the Academy. I think what you meant is wrong, but what you said is right. If Godard won an Oscar, maybe he'd have more respect for them for picking a film that's different from the average shit.

But I highly doubt he's talking out a jealousy. Hating the Academy for their bullshit isn't unique.

Re: Oscars Night #150365
03/03/06 07:05 AM
03/03/06 07:05 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
What, no thoughts on Jon Stewart? I'm sure they'll try to make him be as bland as possible, on par with tradition for such gigs, but hey....I'm sure he won't pull a Letterman.

Meanwhile, one reason I'll watch the Oscars is this, and even my fellow major filmbuff friends will agree: Seeing Altman actually winning an Oscar finally, and seeing that glorius clip reel of his movies.....which means a clip from POPEYE as well. Hey, I can take it!

Re: Oscars Night #150366
03/03/06 08:02 AM
03/03/06 08:02 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Godard has been to Cannes, which I consider above the Academy. I think what you meant is wrong, but what you said is right. If Godard won an Oscar, maybe he'd have more respect for them for picking a film that's different from the average shit.

But I highly doubt he's talking out a jealousy. Hating the Academy for their bullshit isn't unique.
DV, like it or not, getting an Oscar for ANYONE in the showbiz means a lot. A hell of a lot. It makes all the difference in the world. Cannes is important, Venice is important, Berlin is important. But the Oscars are the Oscars, no matter if they tend to deal more with politics and box office than movie quality. So, in my opinion people who never got an Oscar may as well snub it as much as they can. Truth is they would DIE to get one.

Re: Oscars Night #150367
03/03/06 09:32 AM
03/03/06 09:32 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
What, no thoughts on Jon Stewart? I'm sure they'll try to make him be as bland as possible, on par with tradition for such gigs, but hey....I'm sure he won't pull a Letterman.
I read he is going to host the show. But I haven't got a clue who he is....

Re: Oscars Night #150368
03/03/06 11:32 AM
03/03/06 11:32 AM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Lavinia, like it or not, some filmmakers don't give a god shit about the Academy. Some people make film for art, not for recognition.

Sure a lot of people would want one, but not everyone.

I would rather win the Palme d'or then an Oscar any day. Like it or not, The Academy is a symbol for everything wrong with the recognition of cinema.

Re: Oscars Night #150369
03/03/06 12:12 PM
03/03/06 12:12 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Lavinia, like it or not, some filmmakers don't give a god shit about the Academy. Some people make film for art, not for recognition.
well, artists (in genral, not specifically the ones in the movies) are among the most narcissistic
people one can think of. Believe me, recognition plays a huge role in their work, at least at a certain level of fame. Now, I agree some directors/actors are less prone to the showbiz, but I bet none would be sorry or just squeamish to get an Oscar. After all, there's only one Brando! Besides, he was already a star when he rejected his Oscar. An easier position for sure.... :p

DV, you are a smart guy. I'm honored to share my thoughts with you!

Re: Oscars Night #150370
03/03/06 12:23 PM
03/03/06 12:23 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Odd you mention that, because I consider the majority of people to be just or even much more narcissistic. In fact, this goes hand in hand with the script I'm writing about the disgusting aspect of American culture politically and pop-culture-wise.

Re: Oscars Night #150371
03/03/06 03:45 PM
03/03/06 03:45 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
the script I'm writing about the disgusting aspect of American culture politically and pop-culture-wise.
That sounds very interesting DV! You think that pop-culture is a key-word to all things American - in general? I've recently talked with someone who thinks so.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Oscars Night #150372
03/03/06 03:53 PM
03/03/06 03:53 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I've only watched one ceremony in full, stayed up through the night to see it; where Lord of the Rings took everything. I love watching them, but don't have Sky, and Murdoch's bastard corporation show it and BBC get the shitty highlights--save for that one year.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Oscars Night #150373
03/03/06 05:55 PM
03/03/06 05:55 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] the script I'm writing about the disgusting aspect of American culture politically and pop-culture-wise.
That sounds very interesting DV! You think that pop-culture is a key-word to all things American - in general? I've recently talked with someone who thinks so. [/b][/quote]My post didn't say it was just pop-culture. It's pretty much a film about the near future where American civilization is torn apart by riots, growing crime, and very violent competitions between political and special interest groups. It escalates to a French Revolutionesque story. The opening can be viewed below, several posts down.

http://filmcinemamovie.proboards76.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=personal&t hread=1139432399

Re: Oscars Night #150374
03/03/06 06:24 PM
03/03/06 06:24 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"The Academy" lost all my remaining respect after not awarding Donnie Brasco the award for best adapted screenplay or whatever it was, and sealed their stupidity by giving Braude the best actor nod for The Pianist when it should have gone to Daniel Day Lewis for Gangs Of New York. The Academy Awards used to mean something but I don't think they mean as much as they used to now. Brokeback Mountain will sweep all the important categories Clooney will be snubbed for best supporting actor (he should win, no one else in the category comes even close) because he had the balls to do a controversial film that doesn't toe the idiot, bullshit, Bush Conservative party line, and then everyone will go get drunk and go home.

Re: Oscars Night #150375
03/04/06 12:42 AM
03/04/06 12:42 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
The Academy has ALWAYS gotten it wrong folks.

I mean, you think its anything new? If you do, go dig up Orson Welles' grave, and tell him that HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY was more worthy of the 1941 Best Picture Oscar than say CITIZEN KANE, or better yet go dig up John Huston as well and say the same for THE MALTESE FALCON from the same year.

As for THE PIANIST, I think Brody deserved it absolutely, at least out of the group of nominees. Then again, I am sure that he only won because Lewis split the vote badly with Nicholson, as which happened as well in the Best Director, with the Scorsese/Marshall(CHICAGO) split in the tolls allowing a certain Roman Polanski to actually win it. I love Marty...but I actually think the Greatest Raping Filmmaker Ever did probably deserve it. I mean, better Roman than the helmer of CHICAGO and the Miramax Oscar Press Machine.

Re: Oscars Night #150376
03/04/06 11:11 AM
03/04/06 11:11 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I use to watch the Oscars every year. However, I haven't gone to the movies much this year (mainly because I don't find that many appealing), so there's not any one movie/person that I can root for. I too don't always agree with what movies are deserving or not.

I probably will tune in switching back & forth, because I do like Jon Stewart, and I believe George Clooney will be there, and he's easy on the eyes. :p It's also fun (at least for women) to see what the ladie's are wearing.

So, it really won't be a "must" for me. Like the music awards, it's lost it's prestige to a degree IMHO.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Oscars Night #150377
03/04/06 11:20 AM
03/04/06 11:20 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
It's also fun (at least for women) to see what the ladie's are wearing.
Whatever makes you think that it's not fun for the men also? :p

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Oscars Night #150378
03/04/06 11:24 AM
03/04/06 11:24 AM
California

California
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b]It's also fun (at least for women) to see what the ladie's are wearing.
Whatever makes you think that it's not fun for the men also? :p [/b][/quote]Ha ha!! That's true, but the ladies look more at beautiful gowns, jewelry, who's skinny or fat, hair styles, who's attending with whom, etc. I doubt the man's train of thought is on the same lines.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Oscars Night #150379
03/04/06 11:37 AM
03/04/06 11:37 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
The women's gowns can probably get a better view on the Joan/Melissa Rivers pre-show on TV-Guide channel. Somehow I can't help watching that every year just for sheer entertainment (and to see how far back Joan can have her face stretched).

Unfortunately, I'm not as interested in Oscar night anymore as much as I used to be. Up until about 5 years ago I would SO look forward to this night!! Could be due to the fact that I haven't gone to the movies in years! Also the fact that these days, there are no real STARS...meaning box office names that bring in the money. So while the movies themselves are certainly nomination and award worthy, there's nothing that attracts me to the Oscar telecast itself.

I'll probably tune in to the beginning for John Stewart's monologue, then they usually have a supporting actress/actor Oscar as the first award presented. Then I'll probably tune in and out until about the last half hour when the Director/Actor/Actress/Picture honors are finally bestowed.

There's usually a tribute to all movie names (famous and non-famous) who have died over the past year, I'll be lucky if I happen to catch that.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150380
03/04/06 11:44 AM
03/04/06 11:44 AM
California

California
Apple,

I have seen Joan/Melissa Rivers Oscar show, but to tell you the truth, I can't stand Joan Rivers. She is so annoying.

Years ago she was so funny but has lost it in recent years. I can't stand hearing her for more than 5 minutes.

For some reason, one joke of Joan's from when she was good that sticks in my mind, regarding Liz Taylor (she always always made jokes her about her weight). Something along the lines of:

Liz Taylor went to McDonalds, and you could see the numbers constantly changing (referring to the "millions sold" marquee) She was merciless.

TIS

Re: Oscars Night #150381
03/04/06 12:00 PM
03/04/06 12:00 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I'm furious that the Oscars are more about "What are you wearing?" then the films themselves.

Re: Oscars Night #150382
03/04/06 12:08 PM
03/04/06 12:08 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
You know, I hope Jon Stewart trashes the Oscars tomorrow night, with the self-applauding nonsense of the Oscars, the over-emphasize on the materialistic fashions of Hollywood, and all that other bullshit.

What, no thoughts on being glad to see Altman get his Oscar?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull