GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 57 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,683
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150271
03/01/06 10:26 PM
03/01/06 10:26 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
This was the best movie ever.

That's about it.

Well, ok, I'll go into it.

Neil has never performed this well. Ever. He has that "essence" around him now. Not that he always didn't, but its different now. He has the wise mentality of an Old Man, but the joy and livelyhood of a youth. The performaces themselves were unbeatlable. He has the best band, and the greatest group of freinds anyone could ask for. The film really centers around his more "mortality" related songs, considering his brain anyrism and all. He performs the entire Praire Wind album (Amazing) and many old hits. I'm not going overboard when I say that these songs have never sounded better. Not on CD, Vinyl, Cassette, 8-track, bagel or whatever else have you. The sheer intensity the man throws into these songs scared me and nearly brought me to tears. Friendship being a key element of the film, it made me, more than anything, want to be Neil's friend and play a few songs with him.

This film is not just for Neil fans, but for anyone who has a soul.

Best Songs:

-It's a Dream
-Old Man
-Comes A Time (best in movie)
-Heart of Gold
-No Wonder
-When God Made Me
-Four Strong Winds
-One of These Days
-The Old Laughing Lady (amazing)

A MUST SEE. Unfortunetly, it's only playing in VERY select theaters. I had to drive 2 hours to a theater playing it. In retrospect, I would have drove 50 hours, burned my car, ate my pants, and shaved my head to see this film.

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150272
03/01/06 10:27 PM
03/01/06 10:27 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

I really wanna see it, but of course it's nowhere near me. Meanwhile, Prairie Wind can keep me pacified.

A better band than Crazy Horse, Ferro?

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150273
03/01/06 10:32 PM
03/01/06 10:32 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:

A better band than Crazy Horse, Ferro?
I'm going to say yes. It's basically the Stray Gators minus Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CRAZY HORSE, but this band was comprised of his Intimate friends, and it showed. Neil glowed.

Prarie Wind will tide you over, but the live performances are even better. I bet when the performance was over he had another three or four anyrisms due to the effort he put in.

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150274
03/01/06 11:11 PM
03/01/06 11:11 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

What interests me the most is, this concert was supposedly performed before Young's operation, which he expected a good chance of death.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150275
03/01/06 11:16 PM
03/01/06 11:16 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I'm pretty sure it was after the surgery. He wrote the songs a week before the surgery. To have written, recorded and organized a 2-night concert in one week sounds impossible. Plus, in the film they interview Neil and his band before the show and he talked about the surgery.

The Doc

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150276
03/02/06 10:11 AM
03/02/06 10:11 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Am I the only one who saw this?

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150277
03/02/06 12:30 PM
03/02/06 12:30 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Omar saw it, Ferro. In fact, his proview can be seen here.

http://filmcinemamovie.proboards76.com/index.cgi?board=discussion&action=display &thread=1132961032&page=25

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150278
03/02/06 01:55 PM
03/02/06 01:55 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
DonFerro55 sez...
Quote:
I had to drive 2 hours to a theater playing it.
Where did you go to see this? And how soon before you can qualify for your own personal screener's copy on DVD?

Also...Illinois at Michigan State this Saturday.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150279
03/02/06 06:12 PM
03/02/06 06:12 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by YoTonyB:
DonFerro55 sez...
[quote]I had to drive 2 hours to a theater playing it.
Where did you go to see this? And how soon before you can qualify for your own personal screener's copy on DVD?

Also...Illinois at Michigan State this Saturday.

tony b.
[/quote]I went to Birmingham, MI. It's by Detroit.

As for Illinois as MSU? What?

The Doc

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150280
03/02/06 06:25 PM
03/02/06 06:25 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

This comes to my city April 14th.

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150281
03/03/06 03:34 AM
03/03/06 03:34 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
This comes to my city April 14th.
I'm going again tomorrow. Make sure not to miss it Vercetti!

The Doc

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150282
04/18/06 03:37 PM
04/18/06 03:37 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Neil Young: Heart of Gold - (Jonathan Demme;2006;USA)
Neil Young performs with family and friends over two nights at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium.
Neil Young is excellent here, and it's put through the great direction of Demme. I think this redeems him of The Manchurian Canidate remake. Young's choice in music is great, especially the ones that inspired him. It comes across as beautifully nostalgic and sentimental in a positive way. My favorite performances are "This Old Guitar" and "Falling Off the Face of the Earth," but the peak of the show is definitely "Old Man." The atmosphere, music, and overall emotion put into the songs all come together wonderfully. A great rockumentary. I also loved listening to Young in between songs. The ending was also perfect.

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150283
04/18/06 04:07 PM
04/18/06 04:07 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline OP
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline OP
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
[b] Neil Young: Heart of Gold - (Jonathan Demme;2006;USA)
Neil Young performs with family and friends over two nights at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium.
Neil Young is excellent here, and it's put through the great direction of Demme. I think this redeems him of The Manchurian Canidate remake. Young's choice in music is great, especially the ones that inspired him. It comes across as beautifully nostalgic and sentimental in a positive way. My favorite performances are "This Old Guitar" and "Falling Off the Face of the Earth," but the peak of the show is definitely "Old Man." The atmosphere, music, and overall emotion put into the songs all come together wonderfully. A great rockumentary. I also loved listening to Young in between songs. The ending was also perfect. [/b]
Just three stars? I don't agree with that at all.

The Doc

Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150284
04/18/06 04:35 PM
04/18/06 04:35 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
I liked it a lot Ferro, but after recently watching "Rust Never Sleeps", I feel it blows it away.

Still, anything Young is anything worth listening to (or watching for that matter).

How am I not myself?
Re: Neil Young: Heart of Gold #150285
04/18/06 06:28 PM
04/18/06 06:28 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] [b] Neil Young: Heart of Gold
- (Jonathan Demme;2006;USA)
Neil Young is excellent here, and it's put through the great direction of Demme. I think this redeems him of The Manchurian Canidate remake. Young's choice in music is great, especially the ones that inspired him. It comes across as beautifully nostalgic and sentimental in a positive way. My favorite performances are "This Old Guitar" and "Falling Off the Face of the Earth," but the peak of the show is definitely "Old Man." The atmosphere, music, and overall emotion put into the songs all come together wonderfully. A great rockumentary. I also loved listening to Young in between songs. The ending was also perfect. [/b]
Just three stars? I don't agree with that at all.

The Doc [/b][/quote]Three stars = A Great film, but not a masterpiece or mind-blowingly excellent piece of work.

If you were to translate my ratings into a system with half stars, my three stars would be ***1/2 out of ****.

I rate Jarmusch's Year of the Horse three stars also, and while his direction is at times more haunting, it's inferior to Heart of Gold by a little bit.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull