GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Friend_of_Henry, Lou_Para), 86 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,764
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18282
10/08/04 09:37 AM
10/08/04 09:37 AM
New Jersey
don vencent Offline OP
Underboss
don vencent  Offline OP
Underboss
New Jersey
can someone help me out with this what was he
I think he was underboss when vito got shot
sonny was acting boss but then when he was
kicking calo's ass he had some guys with him

can some one help me out. what was his role in
the family besides being the older son.

Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18283
10/08/04 10:16 AM
10/08/04 10:16 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
Well he DID have men under him, but I think he was Underboss and not just a caporegime like Clemenza and Tessio. I recall the novel mentioning when Sonny got into the "olive oil business" that the Don was considering making him Underboss. Plus, he would have had to be Underboss in order to become acting Don when Vito was shot.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18284
10/08/04 12:28 PM
10/08/04 12:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by waynethegame:
Well he DID have men under him, but I think he was Underboss and not just a caporegime like Clemenza and Tessio. I recall the novel mentioning when Sonny got into the "olive oil business" that the Don was considering making him Underboss. Plus, he would have had to be Underboss in order to become acting Don when Vito was shot.
Yes, the novel said the Don was considering making him underboss at an earlier time (soon after the family had moved to the Mall, probably in the late Thirties). It didn't say if the Don actually had made Sonny underboss. But, in the scene when they're preparing for the Sollozzo meeting, only Tom and Sonny sit with the Don--not Tessio or Clemenza. This leads me to believe that Sonny outranked them in the Don's hierarchy.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18285
10/08/04 04:11 PM
10/08/04 04:11 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Yes, exactly. And to add to Turnbull's response, if you look at the Corleone Family Tree used in the hearings, it lists Santino as an underboss. The scary thing too, it also lists Fredo as the other underboss! eek rolleyes eek confused

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18286
10/08/04 10:39 PM
10/08/04 10:39 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
I dont think he really fall into any one particular catagory. I think he was just "Don in Training" because I dont think and of the capos ever went through him or any of the like.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18287
10/08/04 11:00 PM
10/08/04 11:00 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
I dont think he really fall into any one particular catagory. I think he was just "Don in Training" because I dont think and of the capos ever went through him or any of the like.
DonSonny,

Santino was The Underboss. Look at the chart.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18288
10/09/04 01:14 AM
10/09/04 01:14 AM
Washington, D.C.
sicilianspider Offline
Made Member
sicilianspider  Offline
Made Member
Washington, D.C.
The chart is a bit inaccurate in my opinion. It assumes quite a few things.

For example, it has Fredo listed as an Underboss. grin

Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18289
10/09/04 01:18 AM
10/09/04 01:18 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

I think the chart assumed the Family worked like a King ruling a country. The king's sons where the heirs so an underboss would be the closest thing to an heir in the Family so they just assumed Sonny and Fredo to be underbosses.

I think "all the new faces" around the compound had more power than Fredo lol

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18290
10/09/04 02:11 AM
10/09/04 02:11 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The chart doesn't have a designation for Sonny. He (Sonny) is listed separately under his father. There's no doubt that Sonny was running the Family while Vito was hospitalized, but prior to that Sonny had his own regime, which probably meant he was a capo, albeit a "higher" one than Tessio or Clemenza.

The chart is flawed. There's never been any indication that Fredo was an underboss (and I seriously doubt Michael would have granted that title to him), and Luca Brasi was listed as a button when he in reality he was a Special Retainer (to the Don).

The information for the chart made by the Senate Committee probably came from Frank Pentangeli and Willie Cicci (remember, this was 1959 and the surveillance into mob activities was nowhere what it is today). Cicci probably would not have known the true hierarchy, and Pentangeli SHOULD HAVE known who his immediate superior was (and that should have been an underboss), but he obviously didn't have much contact with Fredo (when Fredo saw Frankie 5 Angels at the Family party in Nevada it was apparent they hadn't seen each other in a while).

In essence, I'm saying that the chart was wrong, and we really can't point to that chart to answer this question.

Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18291
10/09/04 08:27 AM
10/09/04 08:27 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by SC:
The chart doesn't have a designation for Sonny. He (Sonny) is listed separately under his father.
Yes SC, you are correct. I went and looked at the chart again and Santino is listed a deceased. My error, I apologize. I agree that the chart is defiantely flawed, but I do find it funny that the government had listed Fredo as an underboss! lol What did the government think? That after Sonny was killed Fredo was calling the shots? eek lol

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18292
10/09/04 12:08 PM
10/09/04 12:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
That's a good description, DSC. smile And I think you're right: the caporegimes didn't report through him. I think Vito was diffident about Sonny: he had to favor Sonny his successor over Tessio and Clemenza, but he always had doubts about Sonny--not his forcefulness, but his judgment. The novel indicates that the Don really worried about Sonny's readiness--"after all, he [the Don] wasn't immortal."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18293
10/09/04 12:32 PM
10/09/04 12:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The Corleone Family is portrayed both in the novel and in the movie much as the Bonanno Family actually was. Joe Bonanno placed alot of responsibility on his son's shoulders and, in fact, did name him as underboss at one time. Although Sonny was his father's right hand and had his own regime, he was not underboss. There was no underboss in the Corleone Family. That may be unusual - a family without an underboss. But, keep in mind that Puzo's construct of the Corleone Family had it with only two caporegimes although the Family boasted of 1,000 soldiers. Madonne!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: was Sonny an Underboss or capo for vito #18294
10/09/04 06:09 PM
10/09/04 06:09 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
There are many things about the Novel that differentiate from the Movie. And sonny's rank is one of them. In the Novel he was definitely a Captain. In the Movie it is safe to assume that he was an underboss since he didn't have any men and he used mainly Clemenza's regime to protect him while he was the acting head of the Family.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull