GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Ben54, TheKillingJoke, Captbony1999, Big_Tuna93, DanteMoltisanti, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,069
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,369
Posts1,059,486
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Luca at the Wedding #18009
09/30/04 10:28 AM
09/30/04 10:28 AM
North London
Bella Mafia UK Offline OP
Capo
Bella Mafia UK  Offline OP
Capo
North London
Connie's wedding at the beginning of The Godfather was a huge event with hundreds of guests, even heads of rival families such as Don Barzini. Why then would Luca Brazi not expect to be invited?

(Tom tells Vito that Luca didn't expect to be invited and that he wants to see Vito to pay his respects).

...there's people who would pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father..instead of gaining a husband.
Re: Luca at the Wedding #18010
09/30/04 11:09 AM
09/30/04 11:09 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I think because Luca didn't think he was important enough to be invited to the wedding of the Don's daughter. The idea being that he's just the Don's enforcer and wouldn't rank high enough to be invited to a social event. By being invited it shows that Don Corleone respects Luca's "talent" and considers him "[his] most valued friend".

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Luca at the Wedding #18011
09/30/04 11:11 AM
09/30/04 11:11 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Perhaps Luca felt that as an employee of Don Vito, however closely they valued each other as friends...he'd have no place at the wedding of the Don's daughter.

After all, Luca was not Don Barzini. He may have felt uncomfortable among the hundreds of relatives and more prominent guests. For we know, it may have come as a surprise to Luca that Paulie was invited as well!

Perhaps the novel provides more insight as to Luca's feelings on being a guest at Connie's wedding.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Luca at the Wedding #18012
09/30/04 11:23 AM
09/30/04 11:23 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Another possibility is that, in addition to being an employee, Luca recognized that he was a big, scary thug and might make the Don's guests uncomfortable. By inviting him, the Don pulled off another of his patented loyalty-enhancing moves by earning even more gratitude from Luca.
Apple: I had the impression that Paulie was mainly pulling guard duty at the wedding (Clemenza to Paulie: "What are you--a dance judge? Take a walk around the neighborhood: do your job").

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Luca at the Wedding #18013
09/30/04 12:05 PM
09/30/04 12:05 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
...Apple: I had the impression that Paulie was mainly pulling guard duty at the wedding (Clemenza to Paulie: "What are you--a dance judge? Take a walk around the neighborhood: do your job").
Me too.

I'm thinking of it though in terms of how Luca may have interpreted Paulie's presence.

Still though, you're right. Luca might have realized (if he cared) that Paulie was there to work and he was simply an invited guest...after all, one is probably not called upon to whack someone during the wedding of the Don's kid, and that was Luca's primary role in the Corleone family!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Luca at the Wedding #18014
09/30/04 01:20 PM
09/30/04 01:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I also think that Luca accepted his position as part of the darker side of Vito's life. It was a part of Vito's life that he didn't necessarily want out in the open. I think that Luca was what we would term "a necessary evil" and was used to being more secretive about his role in Vito's family. I agree with TB (shocking, I know) that be inviting Luca to be a guest, by referring to him as a friend, Vito cemented Luca's loyalty even further.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Luca at the Wedding #18015
09/30/04 01:34 PM
09/30/04 01:34 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
...By inviting him, the Don pulled off another of his patented loyalty-enhancing moves by earning even more gratitude from Luca.
Originally posted by Sicillian Babe:
...I agree with TB (shocking, I know) that be inviting Luca to be a guest, by referring to him as a friend, Vito cemented Luca's loyalty even further...
However by doing this...Vito makes it even more unfeasible months later for Luca to convince Sollozzo/Barzini that he is 'unhappy' with the family. He should've known that it could never work.

If your theory (and agreement) of why Luca was invited to Connie's wedding is correct, then Vito pretty much signed a death warrant for his 'most loyal and trusted friend'.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Luca at the Wedding #18016
09/30/04 08:15 PM
09/30/04 08:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[QUOTE]If your theory (and agreement) of why Luca was invited to Connie's wedding is correct, then Vito pretty much signed a death warrant for his 'most loyal and trusted friend'.

Apple
Indeed he did. It was a shocking lapse of judgment on the Don's part to assume that Sollozzo and Tattaglia would believe that Luca would betray the Don--or even simply "leave" the Corleone Family to "work" in their operation. Another example of why the Don, "rest in peace, was slippin'."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull