GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 253 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,598
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145056
01/30/06 12:19 PM
01/30/06 12:19 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I keep reading in all these posts about how many people around the world "hate America." As someone who has traveled on every populated continent on the planet (except Austrailia) including extensive travel in Europe, the Middle East, South America and China, I cna tell you unequivocally that most average people in the world whom I have encountered have great admiration, respect and affection for our country and for what it stands for.

Sure, there are jealousies, and there are disagreements and there is even hostility, but that is largely the kind of thing you see among friends or even family members. Lots of Eurpoeans think we made a bone headed move by going into Iraq, and they dont mind saying so. This doesnt mean they "hate" us, it just means they disagree with our policy.

The fact of it is, those small groups of people who really do hate us are the likes of Al Quaeda, the narco terrorists, and the other misfits of the world who make the news by their atrocities.

Go to any counrty, especially any third world country and visit the section of the US Embassy where people are looking for visas to enter the US. We remain a beacon of hope for the world, and we should not forget it.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145057
01/30/06 12:25 PM
01/30/06 12:25 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I believe in America...

When people say they hate a "country", it's usually an indication of their frustrations with the world in general, and how nobody can pinpoint the terrible events happening of late to anyone in particular. I mean, sure, you can even claim to hate Bin Laden, and I wouldn't doubt it, but I think that the hate stems from not really knowing where the Hell he is. It's natural to hate what we don't understand. I hate it when I get spontaneous erections on public transport, for example, and the driver kicks me off for unleashing a big long snake.

Perhaps not.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145058
01/30/06 12:54 PM
01/30/06 12:54 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't hate America.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145059
01/30/06 12:57 PM
01/30/06 12:57 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Quote:
dontomasso
Go to any counrty, especially any third world country and visit the section of the US Embassy where people are looking for visas to enter the US. We remain a beacon of hope for the world, and we should not forget it.
That's laying it on a bit thick, dt. People desparate to enter the US are hardly a representative sample of the world are they!?

Yes "hate" is probably mostly confined to the terrorists and extremists commited to bringing down Western civilization... but just because most of the world does not "hate" America, that does not mean it endorses its egregious excesses.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145060
01/30/06 12:58 PM
01/30/06 12:58 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
I think most people think that americans feel that they are superior to the rest of world. There is this big sense of arogance coming from the states, and its not always a bad thing...but can be irratating. I don't hate america at all, i just think that they need to stop interfering with things...for example telling canada whether or not it is aloud to build docks up in our nother territories.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145061
01/30/06 01:19 PM
01/30/06 01:19 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I don't hate them.

But I have enough things I don't agree with. But I don't think I would have that with other countries as well.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145062
01/30/06 02:45 PM
01/30/06 02:45 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Quote:
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:

... but just because most of the world does not "hate" America, that does not mean it endorses its egregious excesses.
Especially those excesses like - loans, charities, and employment.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145063
01/30/06 02:50 PM
01/30/06 02:50 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
This song reminds me of you guys here who argue sometimes.

Artist: Live
Album: Throwing Copper
Title: White, Discussion

I talk of freedom
you talk of the flag
I talk of revolution
you'd much rather brag
and as the decibels of this disenchanting
discourse continue to dampen the day
the coin flips again and again, and again,
and again as our sanity walks away
all this discussion
though politically correct
is dead beyond destruction
though it leaves me quite erect
and as the final sunset rolls behind the earth
and the clock is finally dead
I'll look at you, you'll look at me
and we'll cray a lot
but this will be what we said
this will be what we said
look where all this talking got us baby.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145064
01/30/06 03:36 PM
01/30/06 03:36 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
I don't hate America, I find it a fascinating country.

But I don't agree with it's foreign policy, and with the policy in general of the current legislation.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145065
01/30/06 03:58 PM
01/30/06 03:58 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Quote:
MaryCas
Especially those excesses like - loans, charities, and employment.
I think you forgot to add rose-scented schmaltz.

Also: gun crime, murder, poverty, political nepotism, corruption and inadequate healthcare.

America is not "evil", but it is also very far from perfect... don't pretend you live in the Garden of Eden.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145066
01/30/06 04:52 PM
01/30/06 04:52 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
I think people fling that word "hate" around to easily.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145067
01/30/06 05:00 PM
01/30/06 05:00 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
MaryCas, a good point, but couldn't the same be said about the FRENCH? I mean, ultra-proud nationalists who throw money across the globe.

Then again, that is why U.S. and France traditionally hate each other, I believe. Both countries have a nation-creating revolution as part of their national identity. Both believed, in their minds, to be the "beacon" of freedom and democracy for the world...and both think the other are the a*sholes of Western Capitalism/Democracy. Think about it.

Besides, we Americans get testy when someone criticizes us. Thing is, for criticism itself, we must ask this: is it a valid argument, it is from someone that is legitimacy(for example, I doubt China attacking us for censorship wouldn't have much ground to stand on), and finally....what can we do about it?

If I do angry at a country, its usually only at the government. Look at Iran, with a leader that one wonders if what he has said is simply to stroke the hardliners, or he truely believes what he says...which is a scary thought, especially with a nice ole nuclear weapon. However, I only hate the regime, and never the people living under it, or else I would have to hate our very pretty Asfaneh.

Ultimately, I think of America ideally as a dream, or a hope for the world, a promise of sorts. It's far from utopia, but perhaps someday....

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145068
01/30/06 05:10 PM
01/30/06 05:10 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
MaryCas, a good point, but couldn't the same be said about the FRENCH? I mean, ultra-proud nationalists who throw money across the globe.

Then again, that is why U.S. and France traditionally hate each other, I believe.
Actually it is more of a love-hate thing with the French. Both they and we think we are the center of the western world. I'll tell you, however, I was just there for two weeks over Christmas, and there are plenty of people there who still remember what we did to liberate them from the Nazis.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145069
01/30/06 05:13 PM
01/30/06 05:13 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Well, when people criticize America, it hurts a little, but's it's your homeland, so it's understandable. Do I think there are people out there that hate America? Sure. There are people out there who hates all kinds of countries, Americans do have an arrogance about them, and I can see why foreigners get annoyed. But do people really hate America? I don't really think the country itself, but the way it's government runs things (which is fully understandable), and the way some Americans carry themselves.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145070
01/30/06 05:20 PM
01/30/06 05:20 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
DonTom, indeed. Don't forget 1776 as well.

DonAndrew, well one good point I remember was the 2004 Summer olympics in Athens, Greece.

Basically since the Nixon administration totally supported a military coup-takeover of the Greek government in the early 1970s, which then encouraged the Turks to invade Cyprus and attack the Greeks there...understandably, they still are pissed at us for that shit. Would you blame them?

However at the Summer Olympics, the Greeks greatly applauded the American athletes, for despite the resentment at the American government, they still dig the people.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145071
01/30/06 05:23 PM
01/30/06 05:23 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
DonTom, indeed. Don't forget 1776 as well.

Yep they saved our bacon then.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145072
01/30/06 08:09 PM
01/30/06 08:09 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Saladbar:
I think people fling that word "hate" around to easily.
I agree. Hate is such a strong word. We are all guilty of using it in casual conversation and to express our dislike for someone or something. I think that from flinging that world around so much, we've all began to take that word lightly and have really forgotten the true meaning of a word like hate.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145073
01/30/06 08:17 PM
01/30/06 08:17 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:

Also: gun crime, murder, poverty, political nepotism, corruption and inadequate healthcare.

don't pretend you live in the Garden of Eden.
How about The Land Of Milk and Honey? :p

For a place that has all that you list above, there sure are a lot of people who want to get into this country.
Our boarder patrol arrests an average of 3000 illegal immigrants per day who try to get into the United States.

I don't believe the rest of the world, as a whole, hates The United States Of America.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145074
01/30/06 08:59 PM
01/30/06 08:59 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
I think most of the world likes America but it seems the norm for other countries to say in the media that they do not like us.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145075
01/30/06 09:52 PM
01/30/06 09:52 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
Quote:
[quote]MaryCas
[b]Especially those excesses like - loans, charities, and employment.

America is not "evil", but it is also very far from perfect... don't pretend you live in the Garden of Eden. [/b][/quote]And of course these problems are uniquely American. In Britain nobody is poor, crime is nonexistant, the government is a model of efficiency and fairness, and its healthcare system is near perfect.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145076
01/30/06 10:50 PM
01/30/06 10:50 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Allow me to expand on my previous post. As I have many, many American relatives, I am Canadian and I admire many aspects of American culture I cannot claim impartiality but I will give my view regardless.

For the last 200 years (moreso in the last 100 years) The United States of America has been the dominant political, cultural, economic, athletic and diplomatic power in the world by far. Although during the Cold War The Soviet Union provided a worthy foe for the Americans, today there is no single entity (as a nation-state mind you) that can directly challenge the authority of the U.S.A. in all aspects of life. In addition, The United States has attracted most of the best and brightest the world has to offer and has borne many Americans who have made contributions to so many different areas in society it would be near impossible to list them all. The automobile, computer, radio, television, internet, telephone, Baseball, Basketball, Football and the light bulb were all either invented by Americans or by foreigners in America. America and Americans have made so many contributions to literature, cinema, the theatre, music, science, democratic politics, charity, technological advancement and fashion that again, it would be impossible to list them all. As The U.S. has made all these contributions over history and has amassed so much wealth and power that in addition to generating love, respect, admiration and gratitude it has also bred hatred, disrespect, envy and ingratitude in the rest of the world. As Dennis Miller said: "The U.S. is the most loved, feared and hated country in the world. It's the Frank Sinatra of countries."

With this enormous amount of wealth and power comes an enormous amount of duty and responsibility. The U.S. has done such tremendous good for the world but at the same time when a powerful nation takes actions they have consequences that are gonna be felt across the world and these consequences are not going to be liked by everyone. Of course it is impossible to please the whole international community all the time and it would be unreasonable for the rest of the world to expect this of the Americans. However due to many different reasons this is what is expected of Americans and this is what causes serious problems.

Having said all this, The U.S. is by no means perfect. As all other countries are, The U.S. is made up of individuals and no individual is perfect. According to my beliefs no human being is perfect and perfection belongs solely to God Almighty. The U.S. has its problems like all other nations and America and Americans has done much evil in the world and will continue to do so as it is in the nature of some individuals to do evil. However, if one objectively looks at the facts one cannot but help come to the conclusion that the U.S. has done a world of good for the rest of the world and will continue to do so.

God Bless America!
God Bless Canada!
God Bless The World!

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145077
01/31/06 06:35 AM
01/31/06 06:35 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I totally agree with Ronnie, and thanks for not hating me despite the Jackass president that we have. If there is any criticism, it is toward governments, not the people, because even in the best democracies people don't have that many choices about what their government decides to do.

Despite the fact that any government tries to attach themselves and their deeds to the people and the media, that follows through to cover for them, there is still hope for friendship throughout the world. Independent art is a great venue to get to know the people for who they really are and for the country they represent, if we try to get around the pretentious media sometimes.

But I do have a criticism or a mere suggestion, anyway you would like to take it, for American friends and that's using the term "Americanizing".

Why can't we accept the differences and try to learn and celebrate it instead of trying to change the ways that people live to accustom our ways? Live like a Roman in Rome, like an American in America and pretty please, with sugar on top don't use this term "Americanizing the rest of the world" because frankly, it feels the same way when immigrants try to change your ways to accustom theirs.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145078
01/31/06 06:44 AM
01/31/06 06:44 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
radio
Sorry DJ, radio was invented by Russian. And football - the real football - is a British game, isn't it? If you mean American football - man, who cares about it outside the northern half of American continent?

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145079
01/31/06 06:56 AM
01/31/06 06:56 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
[QUOTE]Sorry DJ, radio was invented by Russian.
sorry JM, Guglielmo Marconi was the inventor of radio! :p

Oh, and Don Jasani, Meucci was the inventor of telephone! :p

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145080
01/31/06 07:05 AM
01/31/06 07:05 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
So what did Alexander Graham Bell invent?!

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145081
01/31/06 07:12 AM
01/31/06 07:12 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
So what did Alexander Graham Bell invent?!
apparently he claimed to be the telephone inventor and succeeded for a while. In September 2001, Antonio Meucci was recognized by US Congress as the inventor of the telephone, denying Bell's claim. But we in Italy have been knowing it for some 100 years..... :p

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145082
01/31/06 07:22 AM
01/31/06 07:22 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Oh, we didn't get the news, sorry. :p

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145083
01/31/06 08:03 AM
01/31/06 08:03 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
Oh, we didn't get the news, sorry. :p

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145084
01/31/06 08:07 AM
01/31/06 08:07 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Well, "Americanizing" doesn't appeal to me, because its similar to what the French and British imperialists tried with the rest of the "uncivilized" world in the 19th century.

Thing is, within a century my dear asfaneh, we may have to complain about the "Chinese-zing" or "Indian-izing" of everyone around them.

Re: Who "HATES AMERICA?" #145085
01/31/06 08:20 AM
01/31/06 08:20 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
See Ronnie, granted that human rights are being screwed on many levels around the world and maybe you define "Americanizing" as promoting freedom, but to say a certain country is uncivilized because they celebrate New Years some other time or dress differently is snobbish. As history has shown us, people fight to keep their customs and many of them have survived to this day, no matter what technology or other factors have dictate them changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull