GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, TheKillingJoke, karenyoung, CleanBandit), 243 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,698
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,225
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,393
Posts1,060,081
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question in Godfather 2 #17944
09/24/04 09:23 AM
09/24/04 09:23 AM
North End, Boston
L
Lollygagers12 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Lollygagers12  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
North End, Boston
One thing that I don't get in Godfather 2 is at the very end of the movie (where after the seen of the Family uniting for Vito's surpise birthday), the flim then quickly shows the seen of the Young Vito with the young Michael,(a small child) on a train waving good-bye. I don't get this small clip. Why does Coppola feel that he needs to include this small clip?? What is its signifance? Also, where are Vito and Michael leaving and where are they going?? I know somebody's got an answer to this...

Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17945
09/24/04 09:59 AM
09/24/04 09:59 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
The clip is from an earlier flashback scene when young Vito and his family are heading home from their trip to Italy. Vito is holding Michael at the window and helping him to wave goodbye.

If I recall it's shown either over or just before we see that closing shot of Michael sitting by himself.

The purpose is probably similar to that of showing the birthday party scene with all his brothers. It's a nostalgic but tragic moment, meant to further instill in the audience the sense of isolation and loss between Michael Corleone then and now.

I think.

wink

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17946
09/24/04 03:34 PM
09/24/04 03:34 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I agree. I believe that it was inserted to show the way that Michael's life turned out, which was so different from the one he had envisioned. He is longing for the way his family used to be when his father was still alive and in charge. Realize the amount of loss he has experienced: his parents, his two brothers and his wife. Granted, some of them were very much his own doing, but that last shot of him is so very sad; he is so alone.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17947
09/24/04 03:38 PM
09/24/04 03:38 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

i agree with the above 2 posts thats ffc shows how much micheal regreats his actions and what could have been.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17948
09/24/04 03:49 PM
09/24/04 03:49 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Well....let me pull back a bit & say that at that point when he's sittin there alone I don't get a sense of 'longing' or 'regret' from Michael.

I think what he is is just plain numb. If anything, he may have been thinking..."What the hell happened...??"

The longing and regret is more visible in the much older Michael in GFIII.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17949
09/24/04 05:52 PM
09/24/04 05:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
What we're seeing is the last vestiges of Michael's "innocense" fading away following his ordering of his brother's murder.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17950
09/24/04 09:09 PM
09/24/04 09:09 PM
Washington, D.C.
sicilianspider Offline
Made Member
sicilianspider  Offline
Made Member
Washington, D.C.
I feel that Michael is at his boiling point. His mind has been hardened, but he's beared all he can. It's seems that he's at the height of his cruelty, but just inches away from throwing in the towel at the same time.

This last part was probably my favorite grouping of scenes in the trilogy.

Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17951
09/25/04 12:00 AM
09/25/04 12:00 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
The innocence and naivete of his youth. A longing for the day when his future was still ahead of him. The path he chose contrary to the wishes of his family by enlisting in the marines. The path he chose at the hospital when he says to his dad, "I'm with you now" followed by his decision to personally cap Sollazzo. The emerging realization that his father carried the same burdens because "I never wanted this for you."

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Question in Godfather 2 #17952
09/25/04 03:34 AM
09/25/04 03:34 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Well....let me pull back a bit & say that at that point when he's sittin there alone I don't get a sense of 'longing' or 'regret' from Michael.

I think what he is is just plain numb. If anything, he may have been thinking..."What the hell happened...??"

The longing and regret is more visible in the much older Michael in GFIII.

Apple
Actually Apple, FFC WAS looking to convey to the audience Michael's feeling of lonliness, his regrets for some of the things that he had done, and his realization that in his attempt to save his father's family he actually lost it. FFC has said himself in many interviews that GFII was supposed to be it, the finish, the end of The Corleone Saga. There never was any inkling that a GFIII was going to be made. So that is why if you actually look closely at Michael in that ending scene of GFII he is made to look old, regretful and desolate. When GFIII was made years later, FFC labored within himself over having to write another ending, feeling that he had already written the proper ending in GFII. He then realized that he had to again, show a desolate, regretful and lonely Michael all over again as he did at the end of GFII.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull