GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, Lou_Para), 245 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,106
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,691
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139281
12/14/05 11:29 AM
12/14/05 11:29 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
"Bob Dylan To Become Radio DJ

Rock legend Bob Dylan has signed up to present a weekly radio show in America. The hour-long show will broadcast on the Deep Tracks Channel, which is part of the XM subscription-only satellite radio service, from next March. It will be the first time 64-year-old Dylan has DJ'd on the radio. The singer says, "A lot of my own songs have been played on the radio, but this is the first time I've ever been on the other side of the mic." The show will feature "an eclectic mix of music hand-selected by Dylan" as well as interviews and commentary, according to XM. XM chief creative officer Lee Abrams says, "Bob Dylan epitomizes the American music experience and his unflagging integrity and vision defines everything we hope for XM to be." "

Interesting. Thoughts folks?

Re: Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139282
12/14/05 12:13 PM
12/14/05 12:13 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago

He can barely speak, no one will be able to understand him.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139283
12/14/05 12:17 PM
12/14/05 12:17 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Jesus, he's my favorite artist of all time but...wow. His voice is more worse now than ever. He's been smoking two packs a day since he was a kid. By all rights, he should be dead. God, I really love the man, but as a radio DJ? No, it wont work, his voice will kill him. Plus this means he will probably stop touring too. Bummers all around.

The Doc

P.S. Dylan has always been known for his "jerkiness" to the press and his highly guarded personal life. This seems like such a stretch for him. He must be being offered more than Stern. (well, not likely, but he's definetly been bought. So Sad. My hero.

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139284
12/14/05 06:41 PM
12/14/05 06:41 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
Plus this means he will probably stop touring too. Bummers all around.
I love him too, and I would kill to see him live any time, but his ego has basically killed his touring career as it is. As I'm sure you know, but he won't even play any songs released before 1996 live anymore... which, are not only the songs he will be remembered by, they are also the songs people most likely showed up to hear. What's worse is, he was also refusing to play shows that weren't sold out. I've heard it's gotten so bad, that if every seat isn't sold out by show-time (which is unlikey, as it is Dylan, but a possibility), that venue owners will just hand out free tickets to anyone who will attend. He was also considering to stop playing at out-door events, because he felt that anyone outside of the venue's limits, but with-in earshot (whether they enjoyed his music or not) were getting a "free show".

As I see it, Dylan's life on the road is coming to an end rather soon, with or without this radio gig. It's a sad truth.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139285
04/02/06 05:28 AM
04/02/06 05:28 AM
Cristina's Way Offline
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline
Underboss
Hi, all. I was doing a search for something else and, as luck would have it, I came upon this topic. So I'm resurrecting this "old" thread because it's now March/April, 2006, the very time that Dylan is scheduled to start his DJ stint.

Has anyone heard anything more about it? Has a session of his actually been on air yet? If any of you heard it (or read any reviews), what did you think?

As you guys have noted in your posts, it might be a struggle to understand what he's saying between songs, BUT the part that intrigued me was the fact that the songs will be hand-selected by Dylan himself. That's the reason right there that it would be worth the time and price to tune in. We don't know much about his personal life, but I think he's pretty forthright about the music and groups of which he's a fan. I recall in 1979 that he was so taken with Dire Straits he invited them to tour with him. I'd like to know what else he admires, past or present.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain that he will be able to express what exactly makes his fave bands/music special. I've seen him on award shows just a couple of times (so I don't have much to go by); but verbally articulate this man is not . Such an anomaly for someone who has written volumes of the most brilliant, imagistic song lyrics ever. Oh well, genius is an enigma.

Apparently, though, he has lots of genius left in him, as he's getting raves as an author for Chronicles: Volume One... but that deserves its own thread. See you there .

Re: Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139286
04/02/06 05:36 AM
04/02/06 05:36 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Oh boy,

Bad idea. Why is he doing this?? What a dickhead Dylan is. He spends 50 years avoiding the press only to become "the press". I dont get it. Jimmy Buffett and Neil Young look better and better every day.

the Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Bob Dylan...Rock Legend, and now...DJ? #139287
04/02/06 01:48 PM
04/02/06 01:48 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Love:

He can barely speak, no one will be able to understand him.
I nearly fell off my chair when I read that

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull