GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, Lou_Para, 1 invisible), 315 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,356
Posts1,059,114
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Immobiliare control #17614
09/04/04 06:56 AM
09/04/04 06:56 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
The wife & I were watching GFIII on AMC last night when she asked the question of how Michael controlled Immobiliare. In his discussion with the Archbishop, is Michael asking for only 25% control of Immobiliare? In other words, did he already own the other 75% and the Catholic Church was the final piece of the puzzle who held the remainder?

My confusion comes from the statement made by Harrison: "The Corleone’s are prepared to deposit 500 million dollars in the Vatican bank at such time as Mr. Corleone receives majority control of Immobiliare."

Please share your thoughts.

Re: Immobiliare control #17615
09/04/04 10:35 AM
09/04/04 10:35 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I always thought that he didn't necessarily own the most shares, but controlled it nevertheless. He bought "100 million newly issued Class A voting shares" at the meeting, and he didn't have to own all the shares of Immobiliare because the other major shareholder (the Church) was in his pocket or else face a scandal. That's why he agreed to bail out Gilday; to get his cooperation so Michael would be able to basically run Immobiliare (shown in the scene where Keinzig asks Gilday, and Gilday says that "International Immobiliare will be safe in Mr. Corleone's hands")

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Immobiliare control #17616
09/04/04 12:11 PM
09/04/04 12:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Generally, a 25% share might be enough to control any business--if there are a lot of other shareholders and none of them has more than 25% share. I also inferred that Michael would get the support of the Church in his running of Immobiliare, which I also inferred would count most.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Immobiliare control #17617
09/04/04 01:57 PM
09/04/04 01:57 PM
Francesca28 Offline
Wiseguy
Francesca28  Offline
Wiseguy
I've always been a little confused about this, please forgive me-what, exactly IS imobiliarre? What is it's purpose? Grazie. smile

Re: Immobiliare control #17618
09/04/04 03:18 PM
09/04/04 03:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Francesca28:
I've always been a little confused about this, please forgive me-what, exactly IS imobiliarre? What is it's purpose? Grazie. smile
You, me, and a lot of people here are confused about Immobiliare. Apparently it's a giant real estate holding company. Why it's so important to Michael, the Vatican and Don Lucchese is one of the mysteries (and weaknesses, IMO) of GFIII.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Immobiliare control #17619
09/04/04 06:50 PM
09/04/04 06:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Originally posted by Francesca28:
[b] I've always been a little confused about this, please forgive me-what, exactly IS imobiliarre? What is it's purpose? Grazie. smile
You, me, and a lot of people here are confused about Immobiliare. Apparently it's a giant real estate holding company. Why it's so important to Michael, the Vatican and Don Lucchese is one of the mysteries (and weaknesses, IMO) of GFIII. [/b]
I haven't watched GFIII in quite some time, but I believe that Immobiliare was a Vatican Bank with huge real estate holdings. We all know how much money the Vatican has, and it probably owns quite a bit of real estate. I also believe that Immobiliare was based on a real life Bank/Real estate holding company in Rome. This was written into the GFIII script based on this real company, and the Pope situation ( for those of you who are old enough to remember ) was also based on fact. Back in the late seventies or early eighties the Pope died. A Cardinal was named the new Pope and about a week or two later the new Pope died. While it was reported that he died of peunominia, there was quite a bit of speculation that there was foul play involved. Of course this theory was immedeatly put to rest by the powers of the Vatican. GFIII took this real life event and wove it into it's storyline along with the Vatican Bank scandal that took place back then and just added the Corleone's into the mix.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Immobiliare control #17620
09/05/04 04:22 AM
09/05/04 04:22 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Originally posted by Turnbull:
You, me, and a lot of people here are confused about Immobiliare. Apparently it's a giant real estate holding company. Why it's so important to Michael, the Vatican and Don Lucchese is one of the mysteries (and weaknesses, IMO) of GFIII.
I understand why Immobiliare is so important to Michael, the Vatican and Don Lucchese. The reason is a religious related business in countries with strong religious beliefs has always been a good cover for corruption. Vito and Michael as is shown are trying to legitimize their business by getting into politicians. Sollozzo is not vulnerable because he has a NY head police officer protecting him. The fact is maybe a corrupted politician or a police officer in NY who is connected to drug deals can be disarmed by newspapers and public opinion and face a law suit but in other countries that have strong religious atmosphere since these people are being protected by i.e. Pope etc. who are anointed from God, they are not vulnerable. Newspapers who dare to say a thing will be closed and people are being silenced because that's God's order. The goal of Mafia in any cover is to find a place in government yet better in religion. I like this third part specially because it speaks for so many people who are suffering from this situation.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Immobiliare control #17621
09/05/04 11:02 AM
09/05/04 11:02 AM
Ireland
goddaughter Offline
Capo
goddaughter  Offline
Capo
Ireland
I also believe that Immobiliare was based on a real life Bank/Real estate holding company in Rome.
During my Easter holidays I went on a school trip to Italy and I noticed several signs saying Immobiliare at different places around the country, including Rome and Sorrento.

I recently "googled" it and it is indeed an Italian real estate company, founded in 1969. It even has a website in English : www.immobiliaremb.com

Our Real Esate agency is operating in Italy, mostly in Tuscany, Umbria, Lazio, Marches and Liguria.Our listing is composed by villas, farmhouses, country houses, farms, presigious properties and apartments in historic centres for sale and for rent. We can help you in find and purchase or rent your villa, farmhouse, country house, farm, presigious property or apartment in a historic centre giving also the possibility to put it on vacation rentals market.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

"We're all gonna be three little Fonzies - and what was Fonzie?!", "Cool?", "Correct-a-mundo!"

- Jules and Yolanda, Pulp Fiction

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull