GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, Malavita, joepuzzles234), 242 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,106
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,382
Posts1,059,697
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17562
09/03/04 01:19 PM
09/03/04 01:19 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline OP
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline OP

First let me start by saying I know there were tons of threads about this and at this point I can't find them and I am about to leave for school so dont shoot me for this:

I read in other ones that people said Fredo didn't know he was going to be shot on the boat, but my questions is wasnt that Al on the boat with him? Whoever it was that shot him why would they even need to be on the boat in the first place (if it wasnt to kill him of course)

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17563
09/03/04 01:25 PM
09/03/04 01:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
...Whoever it was that shot him why would they even need to be on the boat in the first place (if it wasnt to kill him of course)
To bring the boat out on the lake for him and if necessary, help him reel in a fish. rolleyes

As a member of the Corleone family, and brother of the Don...Fredo would probably expect to have the boat operated for him. Even without Anthony, once he was called away by Connie.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17564
09/03/04 02:23 PM
09/03/04 02:23 PM
new york
M
mcorleone2774 Offline
Wiseguy
mcorleone2774  Offline
M
Wiseguy
new york
Fredo would expect not to operate the boat by himself. He felt comforted by not being killed earlier, and really did not expect to die.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17565
09/03/04 06:18 PM
09/03/04 06:18 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
I believe even he wasn't stupid enough to know he wasn't gonna die by the time Anthony got out of the boat. He was praying to catch a fish and to save his life.

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17566
09/03/04 07:43 PM
09/03/04 07:43 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Nope he didn't know. Once he hugged Mike at the main house during their Moms funeral he thought all was forgiven and forgotten.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17567
09/03/04 10:37 PM
09/03/04 10:37 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Plleeeaaase dont ask tongue
No I think Fredo knew,when Anthony was pulled out of the boat, but chose to accept his fate.Notice the way he says "Ok Al, lets go" doesnt sound like a man who knew he was coming back.One of my main points for this is that he was all alone in the boat w/Al. Apple does have a good point, but Al is way to important to be Fredo's boat opperator,even Fredo knows that.
I also say the prayer had nothing to do with weither or not he knew,because he always said that to catch a fish.
Whadya say,Round 2? tongue

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17568
09/04/04 12:20 PM
09/04/04 12:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
As you noted, DMC, this topic has been done many times. Some people can make a case that Fredo should have known that he'd be killed, or even that he might have known that it was his last ride, and went along with it out of resignation and/or repentence. But I think that, while Fredo should have recognized that his brother never, ever gave an enemy a pass, he probably didn't think of himself as an enemy, especially after that embrace at Mama's wake. So I don't think he knew.
As for Neri: Michael obviously designated Neri as Fredo's killer after the famous boathouse scene. I'm guessing that Neri (with or without Michael's advice) figured that, sooner or later, he'd not only have to kill Fredo, but find a way to dispose of his body--and create an alibi. I'm guessing that he figured that the lake would be a good place to dispose of the body. So he appointed himself custodian of boats--the chief boat-operator--to establish that he'd always be in a boat when the day of Fredo's death came around. Of course Fredo could have operated a little motorboat by himself, but he probably got used to having Al do it.
Others have pointed out that dumping Fredo's body in the lake was problematic: wouldn't the authorities drag the lake looking for him, and find him shot to death? I don't know the answer. Perhaps, with no witnesses, Al may have claimed that he brought Fredo back to the dock, and that Fredo then took off for parts unknown. We have to give FFC some license here.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17569
09/04/04 01:55 PM
09/04/04 01:55 PM
Francesca28 Offline
Wiseguy
Francesca28  Offline
Wiseguy
I believe he had no idea he was going to be shot. When Micheal hugged him after the funeral, I think he truly believed he was forgiven and not dead to Micheal anymore.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17570
09/05/04 12:19 PM
09/05/04 12:19 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
I would say that Fredo did not expect to be shot and killed on his fishing trip. He had just seen Anothany leave him, and did not detect any danger as he was left alone with Neri. He thought all was forgiven and he was a trusted member. He ran away from Michael the night in Cuba when he received the kiss of death. He didn't expect to be shot. He thought that finally Michael had forgiven him and he was safe at last from any harm coming to him.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17571
09/05/04 03:47 PM
09/05/04 03:47 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline OP
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline OP

Thanks turnbull, that is what threw me off a little is that why is Al running the boat. If it was some no name guy it would be easier to see the thinking but when you have Michaels bodyguard running boats for you thats what made me think.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17572
09/07/04 02:03 PM
09/07/04 02:03 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Tunbull,
I'm not so sure that the authorities would be looking all that hard for Fredo. After all, who would report him missing? He had no family, except for The Family, and how would they track his last known whereabouts? Al, Connie and Michael were the only ones who knew that he was last seen on the boat, and I doubt that they would be so anxious to tell. Anthony knew, but he would be willing to accept whatever explanation his father gave him for Fredo disappearing from their lives.

I was recently in Toronto and there was an article in the newspaper about a man who had been found dead in his bed. The last time he was seen was TWO YEARS AGO!! He lived alone and was on disability, so he didn't have a job. Therefore, there was nobody to notice when he didn't show up for work. I would think that there had to be some way, such as his phone or electric bills were unpaid, but I guess they would just shut them off. He certainly didn't notice if the lights didn't go on!! I did wonder about whoever delivered his mail. I know if I go away for a week, I have a mountain of mail to go through, so can you imagine a few years?

My point is, if nobody reports him missing, would Al really need to worry about Fredo's body surfacing in the lake?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17573
09/07/04 02:27 PM
09/07/04 02:27 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Santino Felice:
I believe even he wasn't stupid enough to know he wasn't gonna die by the time Anthony got out of the boat.
Yes, he was. And it wasn't all that stupid an assumption. Once embraced by his brother I think it was understandable for him to believe he was forgiven.

Originally posted by Santino Felice:
...He was praying to catch a fish and to
save his life.
That's it, that's what he was doing.

"Dear God...please find a way to spare my life and oh, while you're at it help me to reel one in. I'd DIE of shame if after bragging about this prayer thing I had to face my nephew without having caught one lousy fish!..."

[Linked Image]

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17574
09/07/04 02:39 PM
09/07/04 02:39 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
This topic + Appleonya = never ending debate wink

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17575
09/07/04 08:48 PM
09/07/04 08:48 PM
Desolation Row
Underboss
Underboss
Desolation Row
Wow,this is a first,I'm the only one who thinks he did,if not know,that have a strong suspicion. Despite him being incredably dull,he had to have picked up some things from Vito. Like I said before Al is an important guy,much too important to be a boat chauffer,and if Fredo can tie his shoes,he would have noticed this.If Michael all the sudden appointed him "in charge of the boats" Fredo would have had to notice something wasnt right.Even if he wasnt 100% sure,"Al's going to kill me right now" he wasnt totally ignorant to the fact either.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17576
09/09/04 04:34 PM
09/09/04 04:34 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
...Fredo would have had to notice something wasnt right.Even if he wasnt 100% sure,"Al's going to kill me right now" he wasnt totally ignorant to the fact either.
You either know or you don't.

And he didn't.

If Fredo wasn't 'totall ignorant to the fact'...then he might've been just a tad more nervous about going out on the lake with Al. Dull as he was, if he had even a suspicion of what might be about to happen he might have made some excuse that he wouldn't go fishing if Anthony couldn't be with him. Al couldn't blow him away right then & there with Anthony & Connie looking on. It might've bought him more time to go & plead with Michael or at least TRY and get away, even if he knew they might eventually catch up with him.

But no, he didn't know a single thing. Fredo just wasn't the type to go and accept his end so peacefully.

Nope.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17577
09/09/04 06:51 PM
09/09/04 06:51 PM
Desolation Row
Underboss
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
You either know or you don't.
Not necessarily.Not everything is black and white. Even a guy like Fredo would have had to evaluate the situtation and know there was not a good possibility the he was not coming back from that particular fishing trip.
...It might've bought him more time to go & plead with Michael or at least TRY and get away...
What is he supposed to do run to Michael and say "Please,please dont kill me.I swear I'll change,Ive learned that I have the strengh to change. tongue "But in all seriousness,what would that help?Nothing.Michael was set in his ways,pleading would have done nothing. Fredo already tried running,that got him far.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17578
09/14/04 03:31 PM
09/14/04 03:31 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

i think that he knew he was going to be shot when connie shouted antoney in.as he said to al "ok lets go al" where else would they be going just the two of them not fishing thats for sure.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17579
09/14/04 04:19 PM
09/14/04 04:19 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by DE NIRO:
..where else would they be going just the two of them not fishing thats for sure.
Why not?

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17580
09/14/04 04:42 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

they wasnt the best of friends cant see them going fishing together

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17581
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

they wasnt the best of friends cant see them going fishing together

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17582
09/14/04 04:48 PM
09/14/04 04:48 PM
New Jersey
don vencent Offline
Underboss
don vencent  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Fredo had it comeing. What was he thinking

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17583
09/14/04 04:50 PM
09/14/04 04:50 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Actually, Fredo said hello to Al at mama's wake and Al somewhat awkwardly returned the gesture.

They may not have been the best of friends, but certainly were not enemies. Al was a trusted member of the 'Family'. If he was asked to accompany a Corleone on a fishing trip, then that's what he did.

Anyway...the idea was not that minus Anthony the two of them would be 'fishing together'. Far as Fredo was concerned, Al was there to bring out the boat. May have happened that way dozens of previous fishing trips.

Look, what's with you people? Even the stoic Tessio suffered a mili-second of panic when he realized the end was near. There is no way on earth the cowardly, naieve Fredo would have just realized he was about to be murdered and calmly said...let's go Al, then even more calmly thrown out a line and recited the Hail Mary. It's just not what Fredo was made of.

He just didn't know.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17584
09/15/04 07:52 PM
09/15/04 07:52 PM
NY
Mickey Offline
Button
Mickey  Offline
Button
NY
After Connie calls Anthony off the boat to go to Reno with his father, listen to Fredo mutter, "Ah shit." Listen to the resignation in his voice when he says "Let's go Al."

He knew.

He didn't know until that moment, but he knew.

You straightened my brother out?
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17585
09/15/04 09:39 PM
09/15/04 09:39 PM
Desolation Row
Underboss
Underboss
Desolation Row
Actually, Fredo said hello to Al at mama's wake and Al somewhat awkwardly returned the gesture.Did you happen to see Fredo at the funeral, he was a basket case.Fredo [probably talked to the fish in the tank off to the side of the room.
Even the stoic Tessio suffered a mili-second of panic when he realized the end was near.
Sure, and Fredo paniced too.What's he going to do,run screaming off the boat?Or,as you've suggested before,he could just say he didnt want to go, they'd go some other time,etc but there is now way Mike would have let him get anywhere near the edge of the compound.The end was near and Fredo knew it.

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17586
09/16/04 07:57 AM
09/16/04 07:57 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I don't think he knew.

He ran from Michael in Havana, and he would have run from Al, too, if he thought he was about to go on his last cruise.

When Connie called Anthony back, Fredo could have easily said "You know what, Al? I really wanted to take Anthony fishing, but since he can't go, let's make it some other time."

If he was smart enough to know, he would have said something like that.

But he was stupid, and had no clue.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17587
09/16/04 08:56 AM
09/16/04 08:56 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Mickey:
After Connie calls Anthony off the boat to go to Reno with his father, listen to Fredo mutter, "Ah shit." Listen to the resignation in his voice when he says "Let's go Al." ...
The "Ah shit." ... was more disappointment at Anthony not being able to join him fishing. The resignation in his voice is because he's going fishing anyway...but without his nephew (to whom he promises he'll catch a fish using that secret prayer).

He didn't know.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17588
09/16/04 09:15 AM
09/16/04 09:15 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...Did you happen to see Fredo at the funeral, he was a basket case.
He was a basket case because his beloved mother was dead and he wanted desperately to talk to his brother the Don who had made him (deservedly so) an outcast. Still...he managed a friendly hello to Al which Al somehow managed to return. (though Connie's gleaming look to Al may have had some influence on his courteous response to Fredo).

[QUOTE]...Sure, and Fredo paniced too.What's he going to do,run screaming off the boat? Or,as you've suggested before,he could just say he didnt want to go, they'd go some other time,etc but there is now way Mike would have let him get anywhere near the edge of the compound.
No, he didn't panic because he didn't know, and yes if he had known that's probably EXACTLY what he would've done; rushed off the boat. He wouldn't have been worring about whether or not Mike would let him near the edge of the compound, because he'd be busy trying to save his own skin. And ... to avoid having his son witness any chaos and subsequent harm to Fredo, Michael WOULD have allowed Fredo to go, confident he'd eventually be hunted down anyway. Fredo would not have thought this way and just decide to 'get it overwith'.

Look, people...if this helps ANY of you look at this from Michael's POV. The whole point of this being carried out under the guise of a quite fishing trip was that so Fredo would be relaxed, unaware and completely unprepared for the end. He made a show of forgiving Fredo in front of the entire family. He didn't want Fredo to know of his inevitable fate.

If none of this works for you, then keep watching the film and PAY ATTENTION to the characters and the dialogue for another 10 years or so...you'll eventually come around.

Till then (as Krlea kindly reminds us)...I'm happy to do continue to do my part to set y'all straight.

[QUOTE]...The end was near and Fredo knew it.
Yes, the end was near and no, Fredo didn't know it.

rolleyes

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17589
09/16/04 11:05 AM
09/16/04 11:05 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
You know the more I see this subject the more I laugh.

What do you think, just because they didn't show the three of them going fishing a hundred times in the movie that they didn't do this often? I think Fredo like to be with Anthony. I think he found less pressure being with the kid. Times were relaxed by the time they went fishing.

Just because one scene follows another one in the movie doesn't mean that it happens right away, it may be months later?

Believe what you want. It is a movie.

Keep them in line Apple, we can't let things slide around here. wink

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17590
09/16/04 11:51 AM
09/16/04 11:51 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by fathersson:
...What do you think, just because they didn't show the three of them going fishing a hundred times in the movie that they didn't do this often? I think Fredo like to be with Anthony. I think he found less pressure being with the kid. Times were relaxed by the time they went fishing....
In addition...we (and Fredo) are set up for the shooting on the lake by the earlier scene in which Fredo and Anthony are together and fishing, and Fredo talks about the secret Hail Mary.

All are lulled into believing that everything's ok between Fredo and the Family, and he can relax and spend idle time with his nephew. He's content...and we are content for him.

No, Neri isn't with them until the last one...but like fathhersson states, doesn't mean the 3 of them didn't take the same boat out onto the lake several times before.

Oh...and Fredo didn't know.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Fredo Know He was going to be shot #17591
09/16/04 06:56 PM
09/16/04 06:56 PM
NY
Mickey Offline
Button
Mickey  Offline
Button
NY
He knew. Up until that point he was under the impression that all was forgiven. But when Connie calls Anthony away, he realizes that he's in an inescapable situation. Alone in a boat with Al Neri, and the rest of the family gone from the compound. Twice before, Mike had used last-minute changes of travel plans to get his victim alone for the killing (Tessio and Carlo). When Mike once again makes a last-minute change of plans leaving Fredo alone with the Corleones' top enforcer, he must have known that was it. I believe Fredo was smaht enough to figure that out. Not like everybody says, like dumb. He was smaht, and he knew.

You straightened my brother out?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull