GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 87 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
James Bond #136354
11/22/05 04:09 AM
11/22/05 04:09 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
How many Bond fans are out there? I'm thinking about watching all 20 of the Bond films during the Christmas holiday's since I only have 4 movies left on the AFI list (that I can get my hands on. I still need 3 that I can't seem to find a copy to watch). In any case, what's your favorite Bond flick? Who's your favorite Bond? Connery, Moore, Lazenby, Dalton, or Brosnan? I've only seen the 4 Pierce Brosnan films and my favorite is without a doubt Goldeneye.

Re: James Bond #136355
11/22/05 06:49 AM
11/22/05 06:49 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Favorite 007: Sean Connery

I liked Lazenby, who's Australian accent makes for a totally different and interesting interpretation of Bond, while Brosnan's Diet Connery and Dalton's aggressive modes were good. However, I always hated Roger Moore. To me, he was the William Shatner of the Bonds in terms of how he hams it up and well, is as convincing as Captain Kirk whenever he fights...

But Connery rules. Why? Maybe its because hes got Dalton's aggression, but its narrowed and always on mark for the story, and besides....hes a slick bastard with the girls as well while kicking ass, something of which Dalton could never get down right. Still that new FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE video game has been very enjoyable, with Connery back(of sorts). He was style and substance!

Well, I plan someday whenever I pull out my Franchise Review column to fully get down deep with the BOND pictures, though here is a few I've always dug:

GOLDFINGER (1964) - Many would call this either the best movie of the franchise, or at least the iconic flagship of it. What I always dug about it is how the villain doesn't care about taking over the world or whatever. No, he simply wants to nuke America's gold supply so that HIS gold becomes 100x more valuable. What a bastard.

GOLDENEYE (1995) - The last 007 picture that I can say I liked as a movie itself without grinding my molars. Not to mention that Bond is in personal conflict in fighting the villain (Sean Bean), his old friend-turned-baddie. For once, Bond is emotional and personal.

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969) - While I'm not the biggest Lazenby fan, there is something to this film where it not only willing to take a joke at Connery's BOND beforehand, but also its got the balls to have a downer of an ending for such a super-popcorn machine.

Re: James Bond #136356
11/22/05 06:52 AM
11/22/05 06:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
IMO Connery was the best Bond, with Moore a close second. The rest don't even come close. I love all of the Connery Bond movies, with Dr. No and Goldfinger being my favorites out of them. Moore's Live and Let Die is my favorite of his tenure as Bond.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: James Bond #136357
11/22/05 06:59 AM
11/22/05 06:59 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
First of all, I'm not a James Bond movies fan, definitely not the type of cinema I like. Anyway, there's only one James Bond and his name is Sean Connery. Call it class, charme, charisma, whatever. The others are nobodies, sorry.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: James Bond #136358
11/22/05 07:34 AM
11/22/05 07:34 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
The name's Connery. Sean Connery.

Yeah.. I'm a Bond geek

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: James Bond #136359
11/22/05 07:58 AM
11/22/05 07:58 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Connery is the ONLY bond. The others were James Bond wannabes.

The best Bond movie? Without a doubt - "From Russia With Love". The second of the series had the most realistic feel of the cold-war spy period. Grant (Robert Shaw) was Bond's best adversary and their fight on the train was pure adrenalin raising entertainmnent.

With the exception of the third installment ("Goldfinger") the following movies all became parodies of the others and they soon became somewhat silly.

Re: James Bond #136360
11/22/05 08:50 AM
11/22/05 08:50 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
The best Bond movie? Without a doubt - "From Russia With Love".
I second that.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: James Bond #136361
11/22/05 04:21 PM
11/22/05 04:21 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Dalton was also not bad. I sensed the real British dry (sonuvabitch-) humor in him...

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: James Bond #136362
11/22/05 05:29 PM
11/22/05 05:29 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
I think Dalton was the worst. Horrible accent. And the two films he did are now very out-dated, and unpleasently 1980s-esque.

My favorite has to be Moore (may have something to do with my first Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me, with Connery in an extremely close second. I haven't really enjoyed any of the films since Goldeneye.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: James Bond #136363
11/22/05 05:57 PM
11/22/05 05:57 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
well I'm a real fan. in fact, I've been watching a lot of Bond Movies lately because TNT just do not stop running them on TV. Roger Moore is my favorite, but I only watched 1 movie with Sean Connery. Pierce Brosnan was fine until the last one, and the others just sucked, to me. as I said, Die Another Day was ridiculous in my opinion. one of the worst action films I have ever seen. aside that piece of shit, I loved every Bond film I watched, but I do have 2 favorites: Octopussy and The man with the golden arm.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: James Bond #136364
11/22/05 07:32 PM
11/22/05 07:32 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
The BOnd franchise's golden era came upon it's inception in 1962, when the Ian Fleming novels were adapted for film as a result of Hitchcock's "North by Northwest". Notice similarities between "From Russia with Love"'s helecopter chase scene and the scene in the deserted field with a crop duster in "North by Northwest"?

My personal favorite is "Goldfinger". The franchise has honed itself. Conery is extremly comfortable in the role and he is given great material to work with along with his supporting cast. Mind you, the Bond franchise's intent was never to win an Oscar for Best Picture but I can't stress enough how important the scripts are to the films, almost as important as the actor potraying Bond.

"From Russia with Love" is a close second and it has a great handle on the suspense, as SC noted, the train chase. In fact, I can't wait to play the new PLaystation 2 interpretation of the film.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: James Bond #136365
11/23/05 10:32 AM
11/23/05 10:32 AM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I love the Bond series, own almost all of them. Of course Connery is the best Bond. He is the original and I doubt anyone could come close to him. After him I would say Moore, Brosnan, Dalton, then Lazenby in order of best to worst. I personally cannot stand Lazenby. I'm really anxious to see how Daniel Craig does.

My favorite Bond film is also From Russia with Love, followed by Gold Finger and The Man with the Golden Gun.

Re: James Bond #136366
11/23/05 10:56 AM
11/23/05 10:56 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Kris, how are the twins? Any recent pics to share?
Love from me, mamma!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: James Bond #136367
11/23/05 07:58 PM
11/23/05 07:58 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
Connery is the ONLY Bond.
That about sums it up for me as well.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: James Bond #136368
11/23/05 10:56 PM
11/23/05 10:56 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
You'll find a Bond fan here! I have two favorites: Goldeneye and Die Another Day. My favorite Bonds is Brosnan, but Moore's good too.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: James Bond #136369
11/24/05 05:33 PM
11/24/05 05:33 PM
London, UK
kevon45uk Offline
Wiseguy
kevon45uk  Offline
Wiseguy
London, UK
Connery was the best Bond but I think he was helped by doing the best Bond pictures. I didn't think Moore was that bad (sorry RonnieRocket... by the way if you think Moore was bad imagine if it had *actually been Shatner instead*). The problem with Moore was that some kind of Carry On virus got into the scripts. Dalton was just boring and so were the films. Brosnan brought back some class. He will be hard to follow. I feel worried for Daniel Craig: an ageing formula, I think. Bond should probably die. Preferably in some ultra-CGI aliens versus humans armageddon.

By the way, anyone remember that film on a train with Mr Brosnan and at the end he shoots the bad guy in the head and it's all caught on a video camera that Brosnan is wearing? Now, what was the film?

Re: James Bond #136370
11/24/05 06:27 PM
11/24/05 06:27 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Wasn't that Goldeneye? It was definitely not in Brosnan's second and fourth movie, but I didn't see the third, so that could also be a possibility.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: James Bond #136371
11/24/05 07:32 PM
11/24/05 07:32 PM
London, UK
kevon45uk Offline
Wiseguy
kevon45uk  Offline
Wiseguy
London, UK
Sorry Enzo... I should have been more plain. It's not a Bond movie. It was just a movie starring Pierce Brosnan. I'm gonna look on IMBD in a sec but I just wondered if anyone could come up with it without resorting to internet resources.

Re: James Bond #136372
11/24/05 07:41 PM
11/24/05 07:41 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I believe that was GOLDENEYE (***/5), again the last actual "good" 007 picture.

One can argue that the times and audience have grown past James Bond. If anything, Bond was a post-WW2/Cold War creation in a world where dictators sought to conquer in military madman plans their rivals or everyone else as well.

However, soon it'll be 20 years since the Berlin Wall fell. The only such old-school scary dictators are either deposed (Hussein), still in power and trying to gather weapons in their corners of the world(Kim Jong Ill), or allies with the United States in the War on Terror.

In a way, why I can relate more to the recent THE BOURNE IDENTITY and THE BOURNE SUPREMACY is because of how those millenium film adaptations of Robert Ludlum's Cold War spy exploits reflect different attitudes. For one, Bond always makes a wise-crack after dispatching some goon or baddie, while the gadget-popping/girl-chasing hero works as a professional "hero" of the system (The West, NATO, UK, etc.) against those that threaten it.

Matt Damon's Jason Bourne is instead a man having to fight the corrupt system that created him...and of which also desire to destroy him as well. One could argue that his amnesia gave him a moral "pardon" that turned him from a super-irresponsive-assasin to one that is disgusted with who he is, or was. Bourne's villains aren't billionaires who want to take the world or whatever. Instead, his adversaries are mostly his former co-workers/bosses at the CIA who want him whacked simply to cover their bureaucratical asses of which who are stuck in some serious stuff that isn't exactly "legal".

James Bond is the quintessential masculine comic book superhero, with mostly no real change inbetween each picture of any serious consequence, while dispatching hundreds with style that a badass like he is should do. Bond works to save the day. Bourne works to save his ass from extinction.

Bourne himself, despite apparently having the capacity to beat someone to death with a rolled-up magazine, actually......*SPOILER WARNING*.....only kills one person in THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, and its out of self-defense. However in the aftermath, we can see in his body language of how he absolutely hates that he had to kill someone, and by the end by refusing to follow himself to the level of the wounded villain that assasinated his lover, Bourne is in a poignant shot able to walk away from the dark tunnel-way and into the "light" above the structure.......*SPOILER WARNING*.....

Maybe my main problems with BOND at its worst is having lazy villains that want to take the world hostage because he just wants to. That is why I dug GOLDFINGER, for the baddie only wants to make himself richer. Why bother with the world if you are a monetary monarch anyway? I could even say the same for TOMORROW NEVER DIES, which despite having a very nice premise and works fine for the first 2/3rds of the movie, finally runs out of gas by the finale. However, a plot about a mass-media mogul(Rupert Murdoch?) starting WW3 just so he can both score in the TV ratings/Newspaper circulation game and some juicy TV rights in China after a war....whats not to dig about that?

Re: James Bond #136373
11/24/05 08:00 PM
11/24/05 08:00 PM
London, UK
kevon45uk Offline
Wiseguy
kevon45uk  Offline
Wiseguy
London, UK
Okay. Wasn't expecting that. The film I am asking about is called Death Train made in 1993. Sometimes called Detonator.

The whole concept of James Bond is an anachronism anyway. It's noticeable that the biggest superhero films of recent years hark back to comics like X-Men, Spiderman etc. Why do you think that is?

We all understand the Cold War issues that hang around Bond and those issues are either extinct or have been transferred to a new enemy. Therefore, unless Bond becomes some kind of banner hero for the 'free world' with a new enemy to fight he is surplus to requirements. Bond was always a bit of a fantasy figure and was fun when you could imagine the enemy as a fantasy enemy. In the current climate for Bond to carry on he's going to have to be a very serious character. Who wants that?

Re: James Bond #136374
11/24/05 08:03 PM
11/24/05 08:03 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I guess I would. Fact is, I can't stand ANOTHER damn 007 movie that involves a villain and his Space Laser. DIE ANOTHER DAY may have officially killed it.

Re: James Bond #136375
11/24/05 08:16 PM
11/24/05 08:16 PM
London, UK
kevon45uk Offline
Wiseguy
kevon45uk  Offline
Wiseguy
London, UK
Well I have to admit I'd love to see 007 dropped by jetpack into Fallujah, modded AK47 in hand. He seeks out (using local spies and a few wads of the US dollar) the head of the insurgency, whereupon he fills em full of lead before a finale with Osama himself (a la Scaramanga). Bond wins, Osama crumples and Bond tidies up with a quickie with a beautiful Afghani sex slave, now liberated. But would it get past the censors?

Re: James Bond #136376
11/25/05 03:08 AM
11/25/05 03:08 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I was wondering what is the Bond flick that Leo's character is watching in Catch Me If You Can? Connery's playing Bond

Re: James Bond #136377
11/25/05 12:23 PM
11/25/05 12:23 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Goldfinger has Pussy Galore in it, I think which I remember from the movie.

Anyway I've seen several of Brosnan's films and Live and Let Die. I gotta start watching the marathons on Spike TV if they're ever on. Goldeneye is my favorite, naturally.

Die Another Day was such an enormous piece of shit, it should've been burned. I'm ashamed to own it. The World is Not Enough was decent with a good cast, although it failed to be heavily memorable.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: James Bond #136378
11/26/05 02:13 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The actors:
Connery
Brosnan
Lazenby
Dalton
Moore

The films (again, I shall have to multipost, for image limits):
1962: Doctor No (Young)
1963: From Russia with Love (Young)
1964: Goldfinger (Hamilton)
1965: Thunderball (Young)
1967: You Only Live Twice (Gilbert)
1969: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Hunt)
1971: Diamonds are Forever (Hamilton)
1973: Live and Let Die (Hamilton)

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: James Bond #136379
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
1974: The Man with the Golden Gun (Hamilton)
1977: The Spy who Loved Me (Gilbert)
1979: Moonraker (Gilbert)
1981: For Your Eyes Only (Gilbert)
1983: Octopussy (Glen)
1985: A View to a Kill (Glen)
1987: The Living Daylights (Glen)
1989: A Licence to Kill (Glen)

Re: James Bond #136380
11/26/05 02:15 PM
11/26/05 02:15 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
1995: GoldenEye (Campbell)
1997: Tomorrow Never Dies (Spottiswoode)
1999: The World is Not Enough (Apted)
2002: Die Another Day (Tamahori)

Re: James Bond #136381
11/27/05 10:30 AM
11/27/05 10:30 AM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Sean Connery is the best bond...

hey have you guys heard about the new BOND...

its going to be Daniel Craig

The coming bond movie isn't going to be a new movie...
I heard they're remaking Casino Royale...
I hope they don't remake all the OLD Bond movies...

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: James Bond #136382
11/27/05 11:19 AM
11/27/05 11:19 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I've never been a big Bond fan. I have seen several Bond movies, mostly the earlier ones (Goldfinger, Dr. No, and a little more recently, Never Say Never.

I know Connery is the one who is most popular and will be remembered as the "real" Bond, I don't dislike him, but never really saw the attraction.

Also, although I never saw a Bond movie with him, I thought Pierce Brosnon was a great choice for Bond. I remember way back during his tv show, Remington Steele, thinking he'd be a great Bond. I guess not being a diehard fan, I may not see things as all the real fans do.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: James Bond #136383
11/27/05 12:17 PM
11/27/05 12:17 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Zadjali, "Casino Royale" wasn't made into a normal Bond movie if I remember. It was a comedy version of it with Peter Sellers, no?

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull