GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,819
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Native American Nicknames #136252
11/20/05 03:30 AM
11/20/05 03:30 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
As someone who is 1/16th Cherokee Indian and a graduate of UND, whose nickname just happens to be the Fighting Sioux, I would just like to get everyone's opinion on the recent ban of Native American mascots by the NCAA. Personally, I would consider myself a typical WASP, but since I am part Indian, I really don't feel too disrespected by going to a university that has a Native American tribe as its mascot. Actually, though, I'd like to correct my last statement. There never was truly a tribe named the Sioux. The Lakota and Chippewa Indians really didn't like their neighbors to the east, so they developed an early form of a racial slur, and called the members of this tribe Sioux. It was derived as a blasphemous term, but the name eventually stuck, and even today, there is a Sioux Indian Reservation in North Dakota. As someone who is also part Irish, why is it alright for there to be a sports team named after Irishmen, but not Sioux? I will admit that "Fighting Irish" is probably an appropriate nickname, given the stories I've heard from my ancestors, but I've also heard plenty of stories about how the "Sioux" tribe treated its neighbors in the state. The only reason I point this out is because the NCAA has declared it is OK for a cash-cow school like Florida St. to keep its nickname because the tribe has expressed its approval. Surprise, surpise, Florida St. brings in a lot more money for the NCAA than the University of North Dakota does! How do the Sioux express their approval, since there are technically no Sioux Indians alive in the world? I have a feeling that if UND was a division 1 football school/cash cow, like Florida St., that the NCAA wouldn't have any trouble looking the other way.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Native American Nicknames #136253
11/20/05 03:41 AM
11/20/05 03:41 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I think P.C. has gotten out of control, but, I'm not Native American so who am I to say. Alas, I did go to Toms River High School South: home of "The Indians"! One of my good friends was the school mascot, indeed with feathers and all. And it would REALLY piss me off if they decided to change it!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Native American Nicknames #136254
11/20/05 04:20 AM
11/20/05 04:20 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Your signature notwithstanding, I agree that PC has gotten out of control.

Re: Native American Nicknames #136255
11/20/05 10:24 AM
11/20/05 10:24 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
A local high school by us has an "Indians" mascot - the Nyack Indians. The name of the town is derived from a local Indian tribe. The town voted to keep the name.

I don't see a problem if the mascot name is not derived from a derogatory term. Seminoles is not derogatory. You could say it pays tribute to the Indians that were (are) native to Florida. But "Redskins"?? That should be changed. I've suggested to keep the name, but change the reference to Potatoes.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Native American Nicknames #136256
11/20/05 12:28 PM
11/20/05 12:28 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I don't think that using the name of a particular tribe should be offensive to anyone, but I could see where generic terms like "Indians" - given that the current politically correct term is "Native Americans" - "Braves", "Redskins", or the recent and infamous St. John's University "Redmen", might be offensive to some.

As far as the NCAA goes, and their looking the other way because of money.....That doesn't really surprise you JB, does it?

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Native American Nicknames #136257
11/20/05 01:10 PM
11/20/05 01:10 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
As far as the NCAA goes, and their looking the other way because of money.....That doesn't really surprise you JB, does it?
No, it doesn't surprise me, but it still pisses me off.

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
What does my signature say? I can't even read it all of it. If it's good enough for George Carlin, then it's good enough for anyone here.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull