GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 267 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,030
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,315
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135283
11/09/05 11:38 PM
11/09/05 11:38 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Oil Company Executives Defend Profits
Senators Question Rise in Gasoline Prices
By H. JOSEF HEBERT, AP

WASHINGTON (Nov. 9) - The Senate hearing had yet to begin when a dispute erupted over whether the top executives of five major oil companies should testify under oath about their record profits.

Democrats wanted it that way, but Republicans balked, calling such a move a needless photo op that smacked of grandstanding. So no oath was taken.

In the three hours that followed, the executives, whose companies and parent corporations earned $32.8 billion during the last quarter, provided little beyond what the industry has been saying for weeks: Their profits are huge because the industry is huge; the companies are ready to invest billions of dollars to get more oil ; and if Congress tries to punish them by imposing a windfall profits tax, it will only lead to fewer such investments.

The oil executives found little sympathy from senators, who said their constituents are suffering from high energy prices while Big Oil makes big profits.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., cited multimillion-dollar bonuses - atop multimillion-dollar salaries and stock options - the executives are getting while "working people struggle" to pay for gasoline and face the specter of soaring home heating bills.

"People are concerned about fairness and justice at a time of sacrifice," Boxer told the executives. "Your sacrifice appears to be nothing."

None of the executives responded.

There is a "growing suspicion that oil companies are taking unfair advantage," said Pete Domenici, R-N.M. "The oil companies owe the American people an explanation."

Talking to reporters after the executives were dismissed, Domenici praised them for answering all the questions but added, "The question of gouging still remains" a mystery.

Lee Raymond, chairman of ExxonMobil Corp., the world's largest publicly traded oil company, acknowledged the high gasoline and home heating prices "have put a strain on Americans' household budgets," but he defended his company's profits. Petroleum earnings "go up and down" from year to year and are in line with other industries when compared with the industry's enormous revenues.

It would be a mistake, said Raymond, for the government to impose "punitive measures hastily crafted in response to short-term market fluctuations." They would probably result in less investment by the industry in refineries and other oil projects, he said.

ExxonMobil, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, earned nearly $10 billion in the third quarter. Raymond was joined at the witness table by the chief executives of Chevron Corp., ConocoPhillips, BPAmerica Inc., which is a division of BP PLC, and Shell Oil Co., a division of Royal Dutch Shell PLC.

But senators pressed the executives to explain why gasoline prices jumped so sharply in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when prices at the pump in some areas soared by $1 a gallon or more overnight.

Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., asked why the industry didn't freeze prices, as it did after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"We had to respond to the market," replied Chevron chairman David O'Reilly.

Raymond said that after Sept. 11 "the industry wasn't concerned about whether there was adequate supply," as it was after this year's Gulf storms. By keeping prices higher, adequate supplies were assured, he maintained.

Democrats said that during the storm some ExxonMobil gas station operators complained the company had raised the wholesale price of its gas by 24 cents a gallon in 24 hours.

Raymond said his company had issued guidelines "to minimize the increase in price" but added, "If we kept the price too low we would quickly run out (of fuel) at the service stations."

"It was a tough balancing act," said Raymond, who said ExxonMobil was not price gouging.

A number of Democrats have called for windfall profits taxes on the industry. Other senators, including Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., have said it may be time to enact a federal law on price gouging.

Some Republican and Democratic lawmakers have suggested that the oil companies should funnel some of their earnings to supplement a federal program that helps low-income households pay heating bills.

That brought a cool reception from the executives.

"As an industry we feel it is not a good precedent to fund a government program," said James Mulva, chairman of ConocoPhillips.

The head of the Federal Trade Commission said a federal price-gouging law "likely will do more harm than good."

"While no consumers like price increases, in fact, price increases lower demand and help make the shortage shorter-lived than it otherwise would have been," FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras told the hearing.

"That's an astounding theory of consumer protection," replied Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

Mulva of ConocoPhillips said, "We are ready open our records" to dispute allegations of price gouging. ConocoPhillips earned $3.8 billion in the third quarter, an 89 percent increase over a year earlier. But Mulva said that represents only a 7.7 percent profit margin.

"We do not consider that a windfall," he said Mulva.

Chevron's O'Reilly attributed the high energy prices to tight supplies even before the hurricanes struck. He said his company is "investing aggressively in the development of new energy supplies."

Shell earned $9 billion in the third quarter, said John Hofmeister, president of Shell Oil Co., but he said the company's investment in U.S. operations over the last five years was equal to its income from U.S. sales.

"We respectfully request that Congress do no harm by distorting markets or seeking punitive taxes on an industry working hard to respond to high prices and supply shortfalls," said Hofmeister.
The price of gas has been dropping a penny a day here for the last few weeks now. This all started when anyone questioned any price gauging by the oil companies. Coincidence? Either the oil companies gauged and are putting the prices down now or the war for oil is finally proving to be true.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135284
11/09/05 11:42 PM
11/09/05 11:42 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
James Mulva...or James Dolores??

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135285
11/10/05 02:19 AM
11/10/05 02:19 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:

The Senate hearing had yet to begin when a dispute erupted over whether the top executives of five major oil companies should testify under oath about their record profits.

Democrats wanted it that way, but Republicans balked, calling such a move a needless photo op that smacked of grandstanding. So no oath was taken.
These fuckers are all the devil incarnate. You think that by swearing to God (to tell the truth) it would make a difference???

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135286
11/10/05 02:58 AM
11/10/05 02:58 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
What concessions do these oil giants get from Govt? Also does govt regulate the number of players in this field?

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135287
11/10/05 04:08 PM
11/10/05 04:08 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b]
The Senate hearing had yet to begin when a dispute erupted over whether the top executives of five major oil companies should testify under oath about their record profits.

These fuckers are all the devil incarnate. You think that by swearing to God (to tell the truth) it would make a difference??? [/b][/quote]They are the same religious nuts that are heading our country. Let's take them up on their faith and see how close to 'god' they are. Nut cases. And I think it's funny how this topic was ignored. Goes to show that neither conservatives or liberals in this country want to solve a major problem. Atleast the Dems in Congress are trying though.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135288
11/10/05 04:14 PM
11/10/05 04:14 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Hey, I was just waiting for a conservative to show up here that I could argue with.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135289
11/10/05 04:32 PM
11/10/05 04:32 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Pat, the title of this thread instead of "Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens", should be "Sky is Up, Earth is Round, and Dogs Bark".

:p

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135290
11/10/05 10:15 PM
11/10/05 10:15 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
[Goes to show that neither conservatives or liberals in this country want to solve a major problem.
Conservative :
Quote:
"There is a growing suspicion that oil companies are taking unfair advantage," said Pete Domenici, R-N.M. "The oil companies owe the American people an explanation."
Liberal :
Quote:
Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., cited multimillion-dollar bonuses - atop multimillion-dollar salaries and stock options - the executives are getting while "working people struggle" to pay for gasoline and face the specter of soaring home heating bills.
Conservative:
Quote:
Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., has said it may be time to enact a federal law on price gouging.
Pat, if you are going to be a journalist then I advise you to choose your words more carefully and do your homework before making a statement.

As for these oil companies, well there is no doubt in my mind that they took HUGE advantage of the public. Of course there was a rise in prices due to the hurricanes making refining almost come to a complete standstill. But these greedy bastards took full advantage of what took place. We watched gasoline prices jump 20 cents on one day, 10 cents the next, and 25 cents more the day after. We saw huge surges in gasoline prices at the pump on a daily basis. Now that the driving season has ended, air travel has slowed down and gasoline prices on the open outcry market have dropped a substantial amount in the last month or so, the only reprieve we see at the gas pumps are a drop of 2 cents one day, 1 cent the next, and if we are lucky :rolleyes: 3 cents the day after.

If that is not taking advantage of the public by these big oil companies, then I don't know what is. Disgusting.

What really makes me sick is the advertisements that I am seeing in the newspapers saying " LOCK IN HEATING OIL PRICES FOR YOUR HOME FOR UP TO 5 YEARS BECAUSE PRICES ARE GOING TO SOAR THIS WINTER!" Yes, the price of heating oil did go up along with the gasoline when the refineries were incapacitated by the hurricanes, but the price of heating oil has fallen a substantial amount on the open market in the past few weeks. These bastards are trying to take advantage of the older people living on fixed incomes and trying to scare them into locking into a 5 year contract with them. So when they give the people a price of $2.50 per gallon of Heating Oil and next year heating oil drops and the going price is $1.50 per gallon, they've locked these poor people into a five year deal!

I have nothing against someone on a fixed income, especially the elderly, locking themselves into a fixed price with an oil company. But I don't think that more than a year contract is a smart idea.

The greedy oil companies will take advantage of these people and that is where our government needs to step in. Our government MUST protect those with low income and more importantly protect the elderly living on fixed pensions. Otherwise these poor old people will be deciding if they should raise their heat and starve, or freeze to death but eat.

Greedy bastards!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135291
11/10/05 10:33 PM
11/10/05 10:33 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
DC--I never said that the Republicans in Congress didn't question the oil companies or ask them questions. I said they didn't make sure they'd get the truth. And they didn't. Republicans in Congress voted AGAINST making the oil execs testify under oath. Come on, DC, I can say so much right now about how I feel about rich Republicans who are conservative and too religious. I guarantee all those oil execs would've flinched the whole time testifying under oath if they think they're as close to 'god' as they think they are.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135292
11/10/05 10:43 PM
11/10/05 10:43 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
They are the same religious nuts that are heading our country. Let's take them up on their faith and see how close to 'god' they are. Nut cases.
Please cite where it says that all Republican Conservatives have to be religious? Because I didn't know that was the case. After all, Raggingbull2003 is a conservative and, last time I checked, he is not a religious man.

Your superficial indictment of peoples faith is not only misinformed, but downright libelous.

As Don Cardi has pointed out, you've neglected the Republicans who were just as hard on the oil executives as the Democrats were (despite your comment that "at least the Democrats are trying to do something"). And SC furthered the truth, when he pointed out that it wouldn't matter anyways whether they swore on the Bible or not.

Actually, I'm surprised you aren't more incensed over the fact that there was a Bible to swear to - I thought that would certainly irk your anti-religious stance. Yet, in this case, you think they should've had to utilize this outright religious emblem in the (gasp) public arena?

Quote:
Come on, DC, I can say so much right now about how I feel about rich Republicans who are conservative and too religious.
Come on, Pat, I can say so much right now about how I feel about rich Democrats who are liberal and pretend to be relgious and promote moral values when in reality they are just as corrupt as their counterparts in the conservative section.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135293
11/10/05 10:57 PM
11/10/05 10:57 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] They are the same religious nuts that are heading our country. Let's take them up on their faith and see how close to 'god' they are. Nut cases.
Please cite where it says that all Republican Conservatives have to be religious? Because I didn't know that was the case. After all, Raggingbull2003 is a conservative and, last time I checked, he is not a religious man.

Your superficial indictment of peoples faith is not only misinformed, but downright libelous. [/b][/quote]I didn't say anything about all Republican Conservatives being religious. I said the ones in Congress, ie the ones 'heading our country.'

Quote:
As Don Cardi has pointed out, you've neglected the Republicans who were just as hard on the oil executives as the Democrats were (despite your comment that "at least the Democrats are trying to do something"). And SC furthered the truth, when he pointed out that it wouldn't matter anyways whether they swore on the Bible or not.
I'm not neglecting them at all, but it's simple: the Republicans weren't as hard on the oil execs as the Democrats because the Republicans didn't want them swearing under oath.

Quote:
Actually, I'm surprised you aren't more incensed over the fact that there was a Bible to swear to - I thought that would certainly irk your anti-religious stance. Yet, in this case, you think they should've had to utilize this outright religious emblem in the (gasp) public arena?
Please show me where I have ever said I was anti-religious. People are given the freedom of religion; however, that freedom isn't part of government buildings, such as public schools.

Quote:
Come on, Pat, I can say so much right now about how I feel about rich Democrats who are liberal and pretend to be relgious and promote moral values when in reality they are just as corrupt as their counterparts in the conservative section.
So say it. Nothing's ever stopped you from saying something unintelligent before.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135294
11/10/05 11:05 PM
11/10/05 11:05 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
I didn't say anything about all Republican Conservatives being religious. I said the ones in Congress, ie the ones 'heading our country.'
Well, let's see.

The Republicans have the majority in Congress, so by default they are "heading our country."

And then you say they are "the same religious nuts heading our country."

Of course, I'm not exactly sure how you're going to prove that those heading our country are "religious nuts," but you can try.

Quote:
I'm not neglecting them at all, but it's simple: the Republicans weren't as hard on the oil execs as the Democrats because the Republicans didn't want them swearing under oath.
How so? Republicans like Frist said it might be time for legislation. Just because they didn't make them go under oath? As SC has pointed out, these people are already corrupt, I sincerely doubt making them swear on the Bible would make them change their minds.

Quote:
Please show me where I have ever said I was anti-religious.
Well, in about every other political thread, you call people who believe in God "religious nuts," for a start.

Quote:
Nothing's ever stopped you from saying something unintelligent before.
An underhanded insult? Interesting. I'm assuming you aren't going to try and keep the debates clean, as I pledged to do?

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135295
11/10/05 11:19 PM
11/10/05 11:19 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
:rolleyes:

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135296
11/10/05 11:43 PM
11/10/05 11:43 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Well, let's see.

The Republicans have the majority in Congress, so by default they are "heading our country."
I'm gonna answer you with your own quote on this one.
Quote:
Quote:
So which of those oil execs isn't a religious nut? Are you telling me you don't believe they're all right winters who get a high on religion?

Quote:
How so? Republicans like Frist said it might be time for legislation. Just because they didn't make them go under oath? As SC has pointed out, these people are already corrupt, I sincerely doubt making them swear on the Bible would make them change their minds.
Tell me what harm it would do.

Quote:
Well, in about every other political thread, you call people who believe in God "religious nuts," for a start.
People who believe in 'god' (i.e. Don Andrew), but keep it private or don't bring it up to try and prove a political point aren't 'religious nuts.'

And here, I'll let you edit your quote since I know you aren't partying or having fun at college tonight.

People who believe in 'god' (i.e. You) and base your political agenda strictly on whether a particular belief is a sin or isn't a sin are 'religious nuts.'

Quote:
An underhanded insult? Interesting. I'm assuming you aren't going to try and keep the debates clean, as I pledged to do?
Edit: I deleted my original posting here because I was told on. :p

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135297
11/11/05 01:07 AM
11/11/05 01:07 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Quote:
Well, let's see.The Republicans have the majority in Congress, so by default they are "heading our country."

Of course, I'm not exactly sure how you're going to prove that those heading our country are "religious nuts," but you can try.

Wow! Listen closely next time Bush is giving a speech (he's the head of this country). However, I guess you won't have to listen too closely. The writing's on the wall.

Good point! This at least leads to perjury, however. If we tried hard enough, we could make it a case.

I'm assuming you aren't going to try and keep the debates clean, as I pledged to do?
Nice pledge, I think I'll do the same.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135298
11/11/05 06:20 AM
11/11/05 06:20 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Republicans weren't as hard on the oil execs as the Democrats because the Republicans didn't want them swearing under oath.
Quote:

I sincerely doubt making them swear on the Bible would make them change their minds.
Quote:
Tell me what harm it would do.
Where is your consistancty Patrick? For someone who's strongly advocated the seperation of church and state in the past, you seem to be very caught up in the fact that the oil people were not required to "SWEAR TO GOD ON THE HOLY BIBLE."

Or is it one of those classic cases of "it's ok as long as it fits my agenda?"

Truth be told though, even if they were made to swear to GOD on the Holy Bible, that wouldn't have stopped those lying SOB's anyway. They'll lie about price gouging until the cows come home. So as SC said, it really doesn't matter.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135299
11/11/05 08:55 AM
11/11/05 08:55 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Although most here would label me a "liberal", which on most issues I suppose I am, I have stated on many occasions that I do not subscribe to any one political point of view in its entirety, so I don't want to hear anyone tell me that I am being "inconsistent" here in my opinions.

That said, here's my take on this:

I believe, for the most part, in a free market system controlled primarily by the laws of supply and demand, with a laissez-faire government economic policy.

I believe that the oil companies should basically be free to earn wahtever profits they can.

But.....

There are remedies.

One of the things that has happened recently with respect to gasoline prices falling is that I believe that demand decreased.

People were simply driving less because of high gas prices.
I personally am actually a good example.

I had been going to Atlantic City almost once a week for the past few months. Now, I don't go to "have a good time". I go, and play, strictly to win, so I take into account the expenses associated with each trip very carefully.

When the cost of gasoline for the round trip reached about $25, I decided that the amount of money I had to expend for each trip were becoming a bit higher than I cared for, so I cut back back on the number of times I was going.

Yeah, I know, maybe the gas only cost me $6-7 more - no big deal, certainly - but you have to be a gambler to understand my POV.

So with people driving less, the oil companies, in their great wisdom, decided that the profits were greater in selling more gallons of gasoline at a lower price than they were in selling fewer gallons at a higher price, hence the price drop.

That, at least, was a contributory factor in the recent price drop, I believe.

That, to me, is our remedy.

Decrease demand. Stop buying big SUVs with lousy MPG. Learn to drive a stick shift, and buy a little foreign car that gets 40 MPG.

Insist that our elected officials make the development of alternative energy sources a priority, or don't re-elect them. Switch to electric heating or natural gas.

Yeah, I know these solutions aren't practical for everyone. But if enough people exert their economic pressure on the oil companies, you'll see prices drop fast enough.

Governemnt intervention and regulation, IMO, is not the answer.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135300
11/11/05 11:12 AM
11/11/05 11:12 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Plaw, I happen to agree with you here about the free enterprise in this country and the right for any compnay to legally make profits without government intervention. To quote you, allowing government intervention to put a limit on a private company's profits would be entering "the slippery slope," no question about it.

If I put my money up and am willing to take a risk and wind up being sucessful and make a lot of money in my business, the legal way, then no government should ever be allowed to step in and cap my profits.

But, and you knew that there was going to be a but, where I think the first place that the government should step in is at the pumps themselves.

Let me give you an example. On Sept 1st Gas station Z takes delivery of 10,000 gallons of gasoline at a price of $1.25 per gallon. The open market price. After figuring in state taxes, delivery costs and general operating costs, the retail price for them to sell the gasoline at is $1.85 per gallon. ( The average mark up for gasoline is usually .60 over the open market wholesale price). Then on Sept 3rd, a hurricane rips apart the refineries and there is specualtion that there will be a gas shortage and the open market wholesale price of gas shoots up to $2.00 per gallon.

It's only 2 days since Gas Station Z has taken delivery of 10,000 gallons of gasoline. Enough gas under normal supply and demand to last them 3 weeks to a month. Now of course there is going to be a public run on the stations because people begin to panic, so that 10,000 gallon delivery may only last the gas station 2 weeks instead of a month.

But on Sept. 4th, only two days after taking delivery at a much lower price, gas station Z decideds to jack up their retail prices to $2.35 per gallon. This is price gouging. That station bought their wholesale gas before there was a spike in the wholesale price due to a hurricane. And that station should not be allowed to take advantage of a disaster and gouge the public because that station did not have to pay a higher price for the gas that they bought to sell only two days before.

This is where I believe our government must enforce the rules and laws that are in place to protect the public against price gouging. In these kinds of scenerios.

The oil companies are greedy, no question about it. But I know that the main problem really begins with the independant gas station owner price gouging the average consumer.

In defense of the oil companies, they are really not the ones raising prices at the pump. The guilt with them lies in the open outcry markets where they get together and manipulate those markets by coming out with press releases and statements that cause those open outcry markets to move in the direction that favors the compnay's trading positions in that open outcry market. That is where I think is the second place that government should step in. To see if the Oil compnaies caused any outrageous moves in the open outcry markets by releasing false information or making flase claims out in public. Those are violations of Futures Trading Commission Laws.

But the bottom line, as you said is that Private Enterprise who is running it's businesses on the up and up, should never be told by government that they have to cap their profits or that they are making too many profits.

The consumer has the right to shop somewhere else if they think Company B's prices are more than company C's prices.

What I think that the government is trying to look at here is the act of collusion. Did the oil companies get together and decide to raise there prices in unison? That's illegal and something deep down tells me that collusion in this case is not out of the realm.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135301
11/11/05 11:20 AM
11/11/05 11:20 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Plaw, I happen to agree with you here about the free enterprise in this country and the right for any compnay to legally make profits without government intervention.
Awww....I was looking for an argument.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135302
11/11/05 11:38 AM
11/11/05 11:38 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Why is it that "all" left wingers are labeled "anti-religious?" Simply not true.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135303
11/11/05 11:50 AM
11/11/05 11:50 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Even atheists or agnostic folks use religious imagery and icons all the time. Just watch the very good THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW (1964) from the great Italian filmmaker Pasolini...who just happened to just not be an athetist, but he also was a communist-party supporting homosexual.

Really, try to think outside of reality and the assumptions and the ole "ownership" nonsense of it.

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135304
11/11/05 05:03 PM
11/11/05 05:03 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
I'm Republican, religious, but nowhere near rich. . .Where's MY millions??

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135305
11/11/05 06:22 PM
11/11/05 06:22 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
It's called WALL STREET!

Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135306
11/12/05 10:01 AM
11/12/05 10:01 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

Let me give you an example. On Sept 1st Gas station Z takes delivery of 10,000 gallons of gasoline at a price of $1.25 per gallon. The open market price. After figuring in state taxes, delivery costs and general operating costs, the retail price for them to sell the gasoline at is $1.85 per gallon. ( The average mark up for gasoline is usually .60 over the open market wholesale price). Then on Sept 3rd, a hurricane rips apart the refineries and there is specualtion that there will be a gas shortage and the open market wholesale price of gas shoots up to $2.00 per gallon.

It's only 2 days since Gas Station Z has taken delivery of 10,000 gallons of gasoline. Enough gas under normal supply and demand to last them 3 weeks to a month. Now of course there is going to be a public run on the stations because people begin to panic, so that 10,000 gallon delivery may only last the gas station 2 weeks instead of a month.

But on Sept. 4th, only two days after taking delivery at a much lower price, gas station Z decideds to jack up their retail prices to $2.35 per gallon. This is price gouging. That station bought their wholesale gas before there was a spike in the wholesale price due to a hurricane. And that station should not be allowed to take advantage of a disaster and gouge the public because that station did not have to pay a higher price for the gas that they bought to sell only two days before.

Don Cardi
Just a quick stop in. I thought I would set the record straight. I know that Don Cardi is using these figures just to make a point, but I wanted to add something that I found out.
Talking to the man who was delivering fuel to one of our local service stations. It takes them 30 to 40 mins to deliver a small load of fuel

Fuel trucks hold from 10 to 12 thousand gals. The trucks have up to six compartments so they may hold different grades of gas and also diesel fuel. They also can then stop at a second station in one trip.

Small volume stations take about 6 thousand gallons in their tanks that normally hold about seven to maybe eight thousand gallons, Since they are usually never completely empty, and they never pump all the way to the bottom of the tank because of water or sentiments (they have a 7-10 inch gap from the bottom of the tank) they usually take the six thousand gallons. There is some truth to not buying gas when they are delivering new gas. It does mix all that crap up in the main tank, but with today's filters it never really reaches your cars like they did years ago. Every so many years a station has to have their tanks checked, emptied and at times removed and replaced.

Larger volume stations will take the whole twelve thousand gallons because of their multi or larger tanks.

Now the kicker is that most stations who do sell gas gets a tanker in almost EVERY DAY and the larger volume stations get gas TWICE a day. Surprise!
Years ago when there was so many stations and the gas stations was the place who repaired cars, their volumes was a lot less. But there were many more stations back then. and many less cars. Today almost every adult family members have their own cars.

Avg. service station operator make between 6-8 cents a gallon profit. Some smaller stations in rural places or jerks who really don't depend on gas to get people to stop in will jump that to 10-15 cents. Most stations don't make money on the gas but rather things that people buy at the stations. That is why most are now small markets. That is why many hate the pay at the pump cards and easypass. They don't get you in the store.

Remember each car tank will hold variable amounts. Small cars take 12 gallons reg. cars full size take 15-17 gallons and large SUV and trucks can take 20-25 gallons a shot. Motor homes or trucks with side tanks can take 40-60 gallons at a whack. (When near E) So it doesn't take long to punch out a shipment of gas. After all just watch and see the cars pulling in three and four at a time. A large station can have 4 rows of pumps, 16 to 20 pumping all under one large canopy.
When gas was at record levels last month the people that really got rich were the states. Their taxes are based on percentages so when the price goes up, so does their share. That only made the gas prices soar! So they really are the ones with the windfall. In fact many smaller stations took less of a price mark up so people would still come into their places. True the oil companies made some great money also as refining is also a percentage. As can be shipping and trucking.
It is the poor station owners that had to take the shit from public.
Now we are talking New York State here folks. I just thought people would like to know what I learned from a great source.

Everyone have a happy holiday season!

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Republicans choose rich friends over truth for American citizens #135307
11/12/05 11:00 AM
11/12/05 11:00 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Yes FS, what you posted is pretty much on the money. Stations do work on a small mark up of 6 cents to 15 cents per gallon. And as you also pointed out they sell other things at the station to make their bigger profits. That is why we are seeing many stations like Hess and Exxon start to build Food Marts and Hess Expresses. It is actually more profitable than selling the gas iteslf.

Another factor for them is buying at what's called a "rack rate."

Many times those trucks are not able to sell all of the gas on their trucks to a particular station, so they go to these independent staions like "Raceway" and "Gasateria" and offer them gas at a "rack rate." If you remember during the recent crunch many of these "no name" stations like Raceway were actually charging MORE money than the Exxons and The Mobile stations! Usually it is the other way around because the trucks would look to dump whatever they had left that was not bought by the "Name" brand stations and would sell what was left at a discount price to the "no name" stations.

But when the crunch took place recently, the drivers raised the price of the "rack rate" to the independant stations because they took advantage of the shortage and knew that their leftover gas was at a premium and that they could sell it to the next no name guy anyway.

There were even a couple of instances where the NAME brand stations did NOT recieve any deliveries for several days because they pay a pre negotiated price because they commit to buying such large volume. So some of the drivers skipped over those name brand stations and went to the no names to sell all of their gas fully knowing that they could get more money from the no names.

There was a lot of price gouging going on at many different levels of this business. Many in the business took full advantage to the situation to make whatever $$$ they could. And it all trickles down, as always, to the average consumer.

Again, my contention is that our government needs to look into the price gouging that took place at the lower level of this business, but more importantly they need to see if a pattern of collusion took place by the oil bigs themselves. The government need only take action if they find that laws were broken and illegally made profits were taken.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull