GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 172 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,680
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tessio vs Clemenza #17267
08/20/04 10:52 AM
08/20/04 10:52 AM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline OP
Made Member
Sophia  Offline OP
Made Member
Los Angeles
How was Tessio smarter than Clemenza? Up until the funeral he was (for me) a character in the background. During the funeral when Michael says Tessio was always smarter, I was like- what did I miss ?- I've watched the movie a gazillion times, focusing, listening, but I still can't get the part where he was always smarter- did he suddenly change with the death of Don VIto? Did he decide to play Barzini before Barzini played him?

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17268
08/20/04 11:00 AM
08/20/04 11:00 AM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
The Strong move quiet the weak start riots. I believe during the movie when Michael said that Clemenza and Tessio couldn't break off from the family Clemenza seemed mad and Tessio was a little mad at first and then kinda just let it go. Tessio probably wouldn't have let it go and shaked Michael's hand after unless he had a trick up his sleeve. Tessio moved like a snake and because everyone thought he was in the background, that made his job a little easier.

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17269
08/20/04 12:35 PM
08/20/04 12:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Clemenza was always the louder and more flamboyant of the two caporegimes. You see this at the wedding (Tessio dancing quietly with the little girl, Clemenza loudly demanding wine) and at other meetings. Tessio is quieter, more thoughtful and introspective. Tessio's men were given the all-important job of guarding Vito at the hospital. His intelligence and trustworthiness are given in subtle ways throughout the film.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17270
08/20/04 03:02 PM
08/20/04 03:02 PM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline OP
Made Member
Sophia  Offline OP
Made Member
Los Angeles
Good points all around! Thanks

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17271
08/20/04 03:43 PM
08/20/04 03:43 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
Clemenza was always the louder and more flamboyant of the two caporegimes. You see this at the wedding (Tessio dancing quietly with the little girl, Clemenza loudly demanding wine) and at other meetings. Tessio is quieter, more thoughtful and introspective. Tessio's men were given the all-important job of guarding Vito at the hospital. His intelligence and trustworthiness are given in subtle ways throughout the film.
Yeah, and this continues into the next movie when "Clemenza" is written as "Pentangeli." Pentangeli gets up on stage and acts like a buffoon, then gets drunk and mouths off to Michael. Same character, just a different name.

"You did good."
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17272
08/20/04 04:08 PM
08/20/04 04:08 PM
London,UK
kasanova Offline
Made Member
kasanova  Offline
Made Member
London,UK
^^^^^

err no clamenza and pentengalli were two characters very different actually.

The book also looks upon how vito always valued tessio as the more able and smarter capo due to his subtleness much like the don which were in contrast to clamenza's loud and brash style.

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17273
08/20/04 09:30 PM
08/20/04 09:30 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by kasanova:
^^^^^

err no clamenza and pentengalli were two characters very different actually.

The book also looks upon how vito always valued tessio as the more able and smarter capo due to his subtleness much like the don which were in contrast to clamenza's loud and brash style.
I am sure you've probably noticed, that Pentangeli, who is supposed to be a close, trusted, old family friend, a friend of Vito's from way back, is not mentioned anywhere in the book. Just like he was nowhere to be seen in GF I.

Pentangeli was a character written in at the last minute when Paramount and FFC couldn't get Richard Castellano, Clemenza in the first movie, to sign on for GF II. Castellano had been, somewhat amazingly, the highest-paid actor in GF I (which reportedly did not sit well with the rest of the cast). In the meantime, of course largely because of the success of GF I, Pacino, Keaton and Duvall had become A-list stars.

Castellano, reportedly, also wanted to be paid the most for GF II. When he didn't get it, he walked (although not before appearing for one moment in GF II as one of the street spectators at the St. Rocco's Day parade, as Vito is tracking down Fanucci).

So FFC found himself with shooting deadlines for GF coming up fast, and no Castellano. Instead of just recasting the role of Clemenza, he created the replacement character of Pentangeli, who was supposed to have been a protege/pal of Clemenza.

The Pentangeli character was very similar to Clemenza, so most of the script lines already written for Clemenza were also used for Pentangeli. Like Clemenza, he was supposedly an old pal of Vito from way back. Like Clemenza he was hot to break off and form his own family and control his own territory, and thus be a threat to the Corleones.

All they had to do was put in a couple lines explaining that "old Clemenza" had died, and making sure everybody called Michael F. Gazza "Pentangeli," and everything was OK.

"You did good."
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17274
08/21/04 02:41 PM
08/21/04 02:41 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
Yea, I totally agree Enzo

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17275
08/27/04 05:26 PM
08/27/04 05:26 PM
North End, Boston
L
Lollygagers12 Offline
Wiseguy
Lollygagers12  Offline
L
Wiseguy
North End, Boston
I think the book describes Tessio being smarter than Clemenza. The book gave me the image that Tessio was more of a "thinker" and Clemenza was more of a "dirty work" man. I mean, you never see Tessio kill a guy in the movie, whereas Clemenza strangles Carlo in the back seat

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17276
08/27/04 05:38 PM
08/27/04 05:38 PM
new york
M
mcorleone2774 Offline
Wiseguy
mcorleone2774  Offline
M
Wiseguy
new york
Actually the book makes this reference from the movie much better...Vito Corleone before the Maranzalla war keeps Clemenza in Queens (under his thumb, because he needed to rein him in) and gives Tessio Brooklyn. He further instructs Tessio (and not Clemenza) that the two should never be seen together. MP elaborates that Tessio knew that Vito did not want the two of them to conspire against him, and also to show enemies that Tessio was a splinter group. He gave more lattitude to Tessio, and if you recall after the shooting of Vito at the estate, Tessio's men guard the compound. In the book, when Sonny makes the call to Tessio, Tessio's reply is "you know my men?" meaning that even up till that point, Tessio is given more power than Clemenza, even though they are both Capos

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17277
08/28/04 12:53 PM
08/28/04 12:53 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Actually Clemenza ruled BX. not Queens.

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17278
09/25/04 02:31 PM
09/25/04 02:31 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by EnzoBaker:
Castellano, reportedly, also wanted to be paid the most for GF II. When he didn't get it, he walked (although not before appearing for one moment in GF II as one of the street spectators at the St. Rocco's Day parade, as Vito is tracking down Fanucci).
Thats a look-a-like...it wasn't Richard Castellano (Clemenza).

[img]http://photopile.com/photos/Consigliere/Family/147456.bmp[/img]

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17279
09/25/04 10:56 PM
09/25/04 10:56 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
^^^^Holy shit! Good eye! How the hell did anyone notice that?!

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17280
09/26/04 03:13 AM
09/26/04 03:13 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

well spoted how did you see that

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17281
09/26/04 04:19 AM
09/26/04 04:19 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by SC:
[b] Castellano, reportedly, also wanted to be paid the most for GF II. When he didn't get it, he walked (although not before appearing for one moment in GF II as one of the street spectators at the St. Rocco's Day parade, as Vito is tracking down Fanucci).
Thats a look-a-like...it wasn't Richard Castellano (Clemenza).

[img]http://photopile.com/photos/Consigliere/Family/147456.bmp[/img] [/b]
You sure? I read at some point that the street parade sequences were shot early in the filming, before it was a sealed deal that Castellano was not coming back as Clemenza.

Looking at GF II in retrospect, you almost have to believe that it was the intention of FFC and Puzo to bring back Clemenza and work through the story line where he would eventually betray the family.

It turned out of course that Pentangeli was the character they wrote into that role, but IMO that kind of wasted the back story scenes of Young Clemenza (Bruno Kirby) becoming tight with Vito and actually leading him into the life of crime.

If their intention all along was that Pentangeli was going to be the guy who rolled over, they could have cast Kirby as a Young Frank Pentangeli and reduced Pete Clemenza to a more peripheral character.

To me, it is clear that after the actual start of filming of GF II, the focus of the story line changed due to Castellano's bailing out. Had they known all along that Clemenza was going to be out of the picture for most of the 1958-59 sequence, they wouldn't have devoted all that time to him in the back story.

"You did good."
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17282
09/26/04 04:41 AM
09/26/04 04:41 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
You sure? I read at some point that the street parade sequences were shot early in the filming, before it was a sealed deal that Castellano was not coming back as Clemenza.

To me, it is clear that after the actual start of filming of GF II, the focus of the story line changed due to Castellano's bailing out. Had they known all along that Clemenza was going to be out of the picture for most of the 1958-59 sequence, they wouldn't have devoted all that time to him in the back story.
Castellano's refusal to appear in Part II was known before the filming started in October '73.

The young Clemenza scenes (in the flashback sequences) had to be included because Clemenza was a big character in Part I. If the producers totally wrote him out and included young Frank Pentangeli scenes (in the flashbacks) people would ask, "Who the hell is this guy and why wasn't he in Part I"? It was easier to kill off Clemenza.

"The Godfather Legacy" by Harlan Lebo has some info on this.

Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17283
10/02/04 12:56 PM
10/02/04 12:56 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

i think pentangila was a better part than clemenza ne way.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Tessio vs Clemenza #17284
10/02/04 06:19 PM
10/02/04 06:19 PM
Washington, D.C.
sicilianspider Offline
Made Member
sicilianspider  Offline
Made Member
Washington, D.C.
I appreciate the interesting wildness of Pentangeli's character, but I would've loved to see good old Fat Clemenza back to continue with his role as Capo for Michael. I felt more attached to Clemenza's character than Pentangeli at any rate.

orange

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull