GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,003
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,361
Posts1,059,279
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #133994
10/27/05 12:51 PM
10/27/05 12:51 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Off MTVNews.com, by Gil Kaufman

Quote:
Students can be suspended for a lot of odd reasons these days — wearing "objectionable" T-shirts, cross-dressing for prom, planning elaborate senior pranks — but a principal at a Catholic high school in Sparta, New Jersey, has added another offense to the list: having a blog.

The Reverend Kieran McHugh stunned the 900 students of the private Pope John XXIII Regional High School at a recent assembly when he told them that, effective immediately, they would have to dismantle their personal pages on sites such as MySpace.com and Xanga.com and any other blogs, or face suspension.

McHugh said he was taking the unusual measure to protect students from online sexual predators who may be lurking in cyberspace looking for personal information on children, including their pictures, diaries and gossip, according to a report in New Jersey's The Daily Record newspaper.

Many of the students were reportedly outraged at the school's attempt to regulate their home lives. According to the Record, a majority of them protested the new rule, arguing that it violated their free-speech rights and that the school should have no say on what they do at home.

"I don't see this as censorship," McHugh told the Record. "I believe we are teaching common civility, courtesy and respect." Popular community sites such as Xanga and MySpace got the school administration's attention when it learned that a student had communicated online with someone who lied about their identity, age and where they lived, though McHugh would not elaborate on the specifics of the case.

"If this protects one child from being near-abducted or harassed or preyed upon, I make no apologies for this stance," McHugh said. A diocese spokesperson did not return calls for further comment at press time. MySpace, which would not comment, is the fourth most viewed site on the Internet in the U.S.

Both public and private schools have made efforts in recent years to keep campus computers from accessing certain online content, but McHugh's attempt to regulate home access to social networking sites is reaching across boundaries, according to Kevin Bankston, staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San-Francisco-based online civil liberties defender. Bankston said he believed the school's real motivation was to suppress negative comments about Pope John posted by students.

"If you look at the policy itself," said Bankston, "it's not preventing children from releasing personal information in a way that might be harmful to them. It's trying to restrict information related to the school and its staff on the Internet, including private communication, like e-mail. So it's a blanket ban on discussing school at all using the most common modern medium for discussion of things."

According to a copy of the school's Internet policy, included in the student handbook, while there is no prohibition on students having personal Web sites, there are rules when it comes to the school. The policy, which a source at the diocese said was five years old, says that because the Web is a "public forum with unrestricted access," the school "restricts permission for the posting of information related to the school, our staff and our students on the Internet."

It states that the posting of any information "in any format" related to the school "on any Web site, bulletin board, chat room, e-mail or other messaging system" that is deemed threatening or impugning to the character of another person is subject to disciplinary action.

According to the Record, some students had posted derogatory comments about the school in their online profiles. The paper quoted one parent, who had never heard of MySpace, praising the policy, saying that it fit with the reason she sent her kids to the private school. "They take the safety of the child into consideration first," said Mary Kaye Nardone, mother of two Pope John students.

A constitutional law expert told the Record that a case could be made that the school added the new restriction after families had already signed a contract with the school for the year. "I think it's a bad idea and I think it's probably illegal — I think the students have some rights," said Rutgers University Professor Frank Askin, director of the Constitutional Litigation Clinic. Askin said he was not aware of any similar case, but added that there is no clear First Amendment violation because the school is a private, not government, entity.

So far, no student has been suspended as a result of the ban, and McHugh said he believes the majority of them have complied with the order.
Thoughts? I think that's unjust and unfair. He cannot force that. He can block the site at school and such, but as far as out of school goes, that is not something he can do.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #133995
10/27/05 01:07 PM
10/27/05 01:07 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Interesting......

I'm sure the Reverend's heart is in the right place, but I smell a winning lawsuit by any student who is suspended for this, unless there is something covering this in the school's contract with the parents.

One thing I'm not sure of, though, is whether or not our libel laws extend to internet postings.

If they do, then in that case the students had better be careful about what they write, or the lawsuits will be against them.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #133996
10/27/05 01:15 PM
10/27/05 01:15 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

When will people start being real Christians? I remember that if a person wanted to sin, that was their decision, not that having a blog is anywhere near a sin.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #133997
10/27/05 02:23 PM
10/27/05 02:23 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Thou Shalt Not Give a Shit What This Asst Thinkeths

Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #133998
10/27/05 08:41 PM
10/27/05 08:41 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

It is a private school, however. That makes a difference with regards to the standards (however arbitrary) that they can have over their students, though I suspect that this measure wouldn't have much standing in a court.

Besides, how the hell are they going to find out if you had a blog anyways unless you told them? :rolleyes:

Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #133999
10/27/05 08:53 PM
10/27/05 08:53 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Double J, blog sites have search engines, and schools are listed. I can find someone by searching their city or their school. It isn't all that hard.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134000
10/27/05 08:56 PM
10/27/05 08:56 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
I really dislike blogs, but if someone wants to keep one that's their business. Any punishment for keeping one is completely out of line; what their students do in their spare-time is none of the administrations business, granted it isn't (obviously) causing any defecation to the school.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134001
10/27/05 09:03 PM
10/27/05 09:03 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Double J, blog sites have search engines, and schools are listed. I can find someone by searching their city or their school. It isn't all that hard.
Mmm, I suppose. But hell, I mean, I have my political blog and it is no way connected to who I really am, just my internet identity. I guess those livejournals and whatnot could be traced, you're right. But hey, you could always say someone stole your identity. :p

Again, I think this whole idea is foolish (although again, as Plaw said, the heart is in the right place). It would probably be more prudent to educate the parents as to watch what their children are doing on the PC rather than arbitrarily restrict them for a pretty frivolous thing like a blog.

Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134002
10/27/05 10:33 PM
10/27/05 10:33 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
it isn't (obviously) causing any defecation to the school.
No defamation, either.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134003
10/27/05 10:46 PM
10/27/05 10:46 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Somebody I know defecated on the school once, but then he got detention.

Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134004
10/27/05 11:00 PM
10/27/05 11:00 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Christianity has taken a turn for the worst. Instead of living by the basic morals of "love thy neighbor" "thou shall not kill" and "thou shall not steal," fucking idiots are misinterpreting everything and forbidding people to do what's comfortable to them.

A lot of it is a racket, to trick people into coming to church, donating money, all because of fear of going to "Hell."

:rolleyes:

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134005
10/27/05 11:07 PM
10/27/05 11:07 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
There's a Southpark episode that addresses this issue. It's effin hilarious, but it's also very informative and has a great message. Like all their episodes do.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134006
10/28/05 03:09 AM
10/28/05 03:09 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
Christianity has taken a turn for the worst. Instead of living by the basic morals of "love thy neighbor" "thou shall not kill" and "thou shall not steal," fucking idiots are misinterpreting everything and forbidding people to do what's comfortable to them.
Sorry, I'm afraid the one who is misinterpreting everything is you, DVC. According to Christian principles, people should not "do what's comfortable to them". Too easy, that way. Christian religion is a very demanding one. People are called to do what pleases God, which, in the long run, will coincide with people's salvation and real happiness. I'm not backing this blog ban, of course, as I find it to be very unnnecessary, but you should not stigmatize Christiany for having "taken a turn for the worst". It's the moral relativism which is affecting our time, not letting us tell right from wrong, good from evil, where everything seems to be morally neuter, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
A lot of it is a racket, to trick people into coming to church, donating money, all because of fear of going to "Hell."
Luckily most people are not so stupid, DVC. Most people know that Christian/ Catholic principles deal with spirituality much more than any other aspect of people's life. Oh, and please, avoid generalizations. There may as well be malicious people in the Church (as well as in any other human institution), but no doubt there are many more others who passionately care and help people a lot.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134007
10/28/05 06:08 AM
10/28/05 06:08 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
Sorry, I'm afraid the one who is misinterpreting everything is you, DVC. According to Christian principles, people should not "do what's comfortable to them". Too easy, that way. Christian religion is a very demanding one. People are called to do what pleases God, which, in the long run, will coincide with people's salvation and real happiness. I'm not backing this blog ban, of course, as I find it to be very unnnecessary, but you should not stigmatize Christiany for having "taken a turn for the worst". It's the moral relativism which is affecting our time, not letting us tell right from wrong, good from evil, where everything seems to be morally neuter, if you know what I mean.
Bravo Lavi!

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Catholic School Principal To Students: Thou Shalt Not Blog #134008
10/28/05 04:01 PM
10/28/05 04:01 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
[b]it isn't (obviously) causing any defecation to the school.
No defamation, either. [/b][/quote] I didn't catch that. Bah... I hate typing.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull