GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 314 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4138
07/30/03 11:51 PM
07/30/03 11:51 PM
USA
Don_Rozzini Offline OP
Wiseguy
Don_Rozzini  Offline OP
Wiseguy
USA
Is it when he kills Don Fannucci or Ciccio. Your thoughts

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4139
07/31/03 12:04 AM
07/31/03 12:04 AM
antPhoenix Offline
Made Member
antPhoenix  Offline
Made Member
Fannucci. He clearly earns the respect of Clemenza and Tessio, and takes his place as The Don.

Michael: My father's no different than any other powerful man, any man who's responsible for other people. Like a senator or a president.
Kay: You know how naive you sound?
Michael: Why?
Kay: Senators and presidents don't have men killed...
Michael: Oh... who's being naive, Kay?
Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4140
07/31/03 12:07 AM
07/31/03 12:07 AM
USA
Don_Rozzini Offline OP
Wiseguy
Don_Rozzini  Offline OP
Wiseguy
USA
Thats just two people and they wouldnt do anything to Fannucci. Plus, he got more respect from other Dons in Sicily for killing Ciccio.

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4141
07/31/03 12:24 AM
07/31/03 12:24 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The title, "Don," is one of respect and could be conferred on him by anyone at any time. The first time in Vito's life that we see him called "Don" is in the scene where Sr. Roberto comes calling, humbly, at the Genco Olive Oil Co. to tell him that Sra. Columbo can stay in her apartment. That's after he kills Fanucci but before he goes to Sicily to kill Ciccio.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4142
07/31/03 03:57 AM
07/31/03 03:57 AM
Alexander Supalov Offline
Underboss
Alexander Supalov  Offline
Underboss
Hi!

Originally posted by Turnbull:
The first time in Vito's life that we see him called "Don" is in the scene where Sr. Roberto comes calling, humbly, at the Genco Olive Oil Co...
Right, and there's a short extra scene on the DVD bonus disk where Sr. Roberto asks Vito's men where he could find "Don Corleone". This scene would come immediately before the one with the door that wouldn't open. The introduction text to this scene asserts that chronologically this would be the earliest occasion of this expression being used.

However, it's not clear whether Sr. Roberto decided to address Don Vito so respectfully by himself or was advised to do so by his neighbors and relations whom he asked, following Vito's own suggestion, about reputation of this young persuasive fellow.

Now, when he became the "Don" in the sense of a head of an evolved criminal organization is open to question, too. I'd suggest that it was a process that started with the killing of Fanucci, continued by burning trucks and spilling supplies of the competitors, and was about to be complete when the Genco Olive Oil trucks started to run molasses from Canada - notably, on other people's proposition.

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.
Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4143
07/31/03 12:08 PM
07/31/03 12:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Alexander Supalov:
However, it's not clear whether Sr. Roberto decided to address Don Vito so respectfully by himself or was advised to do so by his neighbors and relations whom he asked, following Vito's own suggestion, about reputation of this young persuasive fellow.

Fear was certainly a factor in Sr. Roberto's demeanor. You wonder how he maintained sphincter control during that scene.
But young Vito provides a marvelous little irony for this thread: Sr. Roberto comes humbly before him and says, "Don Vito..." Smirking Vito replies, "Don Roberto..." It's as if to say, "Oh, you finally figured out that I'm a Man of Respect, eh? Well, here's a little sarcasm for you, you cheap slumlord."
There was a parallel of sorts in real life. Charlie Luciano, after he formed the Commission, invited his boyhood chum and valued adviser, Meyer Lansky, to counsel the Commission. Vito Genovese, who was then subordinate to Luciano, objected that Lansky wasn't even Italian. Luciano replied to the effect, "Don't think you're such a bigshot, Don Vitone" [emphasis in original].

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4144
08/01/03 05:00 AM
08/01/03 05:00 AM
Alexander Supalov Offline
Underboss
Alexander Supalov  Offline
Underboss
Hi!

Originally posted by Turnbull:
Sr. Roberto comes humbly before him and says, "Don Vito..." Smirking Vito replies, "Don Roberto..." It's as if to say, "Oh, you finally figured out that I'm a Man of Respect, eh? Well, here's a little sarcasm for you, you cheap slumlord."
True enough. At the same time, note how Vito, while he visibly enjoys the effect, does not really insult his guest - instead, by exquisitely polite words and dignified manner, he makes this scared man yet another admirer of his strength.

Magnanimity is a true sign of greatness.

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.
Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4145
08/01/03 08:37 AM
08/01/03 08:37 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
He becomes 'Don' after killing Fanucci. You can see it even before Senor Roberto's groveling scene.

When Vito attempts to pay for oranges at the fruit stand, the vendor refuses to accept & he says..if there's something I can do for you, come see me.

When the widow comes to see him in the first place, asking him to talk w/ Senor Roberto about her eviction. He would have been in no position to help her prior to Fanucci's death.

When Vito suggests to the skeptical Roberto to ask around the neighborhood about him.

It's all there plain to see. Though Roberto may be the first to actually refer to Vito as 'Don', he is elevated to that position and earns the appropriate respect the moment he has killed Fanucci.

I don't think he would have had the ability to sail to Italy to take care of Ciccio before any of this happened.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4146
08/01/03 09:03 PM
08/01/03 09:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Alexander Supalov:
note how Vito, while he visibly enjoys the effect, does not really insult his guest - instead, by exquisitely polite words and dignified manner, he makes this scared man yet another admirer of his strength.

Magnanimity is a true sign of greatness.

Yes, and it's brilliant touches like that one--thousands of them in the Trilogy--that make the Trilogy worth watching thousands of times.

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4147
08/01/03 09:05 PM
08/01/03 09:05 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

I don't think he would have had the ability to sail to Italy to take care of Ciccio before any of this happened.

Apple
That's a good point, Apple! He not only had to consolidate his physical/political situation before settling with Ciccio, he really also had to develop enough character (restraint, realism, ruthlessness) before putting that chapter of his life finally and completely behind him.

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4148
08/03/03 04:21 PM
08/03/03 04:21 PM
Eternity
Enzo da baker Offline
Made Member
Enzo da baker  Offline
Made Member
Eternity
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
He becomes 'Don' after killing Fanucci. You can see it even before Senor Roberto's groveling scene.

When Vito attempts to pay for oranges at the fruit stand, the vendor refuses to accept & he says..if there's something I can do for you, come see me.

When the widow comes to see him in the first place, asking him to talk w/ Senor Roberto about her eviction. He would have been in no position to help her prior to Fanucci's death.

When Vito suggests to the skeptical Roberto to ask around the neighborhood about him.

It's all there plain to see. Though Roberto may be the first to actually refer to Vito as 'Don', he is elevated to that position and earns the appropriate respect the moment he has killed Fanucci.

Apple
this is the one i would agree with.all good points.Turnbulls is good points too.

Naz
Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4149
08/03/03 08:28 PM
08/03/03 08:28 PM
USA
Don_Rozzini Offline OP
Wiseguy
Don_Rozzini  Offline OP
Wiseguy
USA
Loving the inpute on this. Keep it coming. Personally I believe he becomes the "Don" after Ciccio for a three reasons. He has already helped the widow(like a senator or president watching out for other people), earning respect from his peers killing Fannucci), and avenging, not 1, not 2, but 3 personal insults to him(the killing of his family and then killing Ciccio).

mafioso: to make oneself respected; to be strong enough to avenge yourself for any insult to your person, or any extension of it, and to offer any such insult to your enemies
--Pino Arlacchi

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4150
08/04/03 09:47 AM
08/04/03 09:47 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don_Rozzini:
...I believe he becomes the "Don" after Ciccio for a three reasons. He has already helped the widow...
Had Vito not already taken care of Fanucci, something no one before him had the guts/brains to do...the widow would have had no reason to come to him for help with her situation. Before Fanucci's death, Vito was just another guy selling stolen dresses on the streets.

Also...note Vito's dress and demeanor when the woman comes to see him - AND when he approaches Signor Roberto. Vast difference from earlier scenes.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4151
08/04/03 10:02 AM
08/04/03 10:02 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I go along with Apple here. Funnucci's murder was the beginning of Vito's reign as Don. Good point too with his demeanor change! wink At the time of Signor Roberto's visit, Vito had a new sense of confidence it seemed.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: When does Don Corleone really become the Don #4152
08/04/03 12:32 PM
08/04/03 12:32 PM
USA
Don_Rozzini Offline OP
Wiseguy
Don_Rozzini  Offline OP
Wiseguy
USA
Just switch the first thing with the second.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull