GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 85 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,869
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16920
08/02/04 12:30 PM
08/02/04 12:30 PM
Detroit
HollywoodFinocchio Offline OP
Wiseguy
HollywoodFinocchio  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Detroit
My apologies if this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum. But that wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened here, right? wink

Connie and Carlo's baby played by Sofia C. is baptized while elsewhere all hell is breaking loose: in his bloody yet efficient manner Mike is wrapping up family business and consolidating his nefarious empire, in stark contrast to the words he's uttered in reply to Fr. Carmello's questions during the sacrement of baptism.

Mike tells Carlo to forget about the Vegas trip and to await his instructions back at the compound. When he joins him there later, Mike interrupts Carlo on the phone.

Carlo looks a little stressed out.

Who was he calling? One of his whores? Or was he still so connected that he was calling one of Barzini's people?

Or is he even making a call, as opposed to taking one? Is it a case of someone trying to give him a heads up?

I mean, when he hangs up that phone, the look on his face . . . .

Grazi,

Hollywood

The main character, it's a guy just like me. I uh -- I wouldn't even have to act -- just be myself.
Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16921
08/02/04 12:52 PM
08/02/04 12:52 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
If the scene was shown as written in the novel, perhaps that's where it's revealed with whom Carlo may have been on the phone (or in the process of calling).

If not...then there's really no solid answer and perhaps it was simply staged that way so that Carlo would be seen actually doing something, as opposed to just sitting there waiting for Michael.

Also the phone call - and isn't there a game of solitaire on the table too? - suggests that Carlo has been kept waiting for quite a while and perhaps he was getting a little bored.

And by the way...to me Carlo never appeared to be 'stressed out' when he turns to see Michael enter the room. Anxious maybe, but not stressed out - until Michael corners him.

Could be though, I'll have to take a closer look at his face next viewing.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16922
08/02/04 12:55 PM
08/02/04 12:55 PM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline
Made Member
Sophia  Offline
Made Member
Los Angeles
Now, I have not read the book, maybe it goes into greater detail - but I always thought he was calling his "other" connection, Barzinni or other family member. I guess I ASSUMED he was telling them, something's up, Mike's not sending me to Vegas. That's what I thought. His face when Mike walks in is almost as if he's seen a ghost, like he was "caught in the act".
Anyway, that's a good scene, I just hate the part where Michael comes in and says, "AWHHHHH, you can't fool a Corleone" - like he has to be so dramatic- it seems out of character for him to show emotion. Sorry to get off the track!

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16923
08/02/04 01:02 PM
08/02/04 01:02 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
If Carlo thought something was 'up'...it might have shown in his face at the church when Michael first informed him of the change of plans. Instead, he took it calmly and (in my view) somewhat self-assuredly, even quieting Connie down when she began to protest.

By this time it looks like Carlo believes his position within the Family is well established.
It would be difficult to believe that even he would be dumb enough to contact Barzini or any of the other Family Heads from a phone at the Corleone Mall of all places!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16924
08/02/04 01:17 PM
08/02/04 01:17 PM
Detroit
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Detroit
I'll have to watch it tonight and look for the cards on the table, as well as to confirm my thought that he did indeed look like he'd seen a ghost. He even puts it down reluctantly, if I'm not mistaken. Of course, this could be an instant reaction to something he's read in Mike's offscreen expression.

All of which would make me think this call has something to do with his fate. As for Carlo's intelligence, this is the same guy who freely gave his home phone number, the one he shared with his wife, the daughter of Don Vito Corleone, to the whores he passed time with. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Thanks for your insight.

The main character, it's a guy just like me. I uh -- I wouldn't even have to act -- just be myself.
Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16925
08/02/04 01:37 PM
08/02/04 01:37 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by HollywoodFinocchio:
..All of which would make me think this call has something to do with his fate.
The call itself had NOTHING to do with his fate. Michael's intent was to have him killed from before he even walked into the room.

...same guy who freely gave his home phone number, the one he shared with his wife, the daughter of Don Vito Corleone, to the whores he passed time with. Not the sharpest tool...
Giving your home # to whores is a little different than contacting a rival Family from a phone in The Don's own compound
. I still don't think Carlo would've been that stupid...nor do I think he even had contact with Barzini or any other Family Head at this point.

As for his wife answering the phone, that was part of the plan for the setup for Sonny.
Personally I don't think Carlo cared whether Connie knew he had whores or not. In fact, she give the impression that she had put up with that sort of stuff (in addition to the beatings) for quite a while.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16926
08/02/04 02:19 PM
08/02/04 02:19 PM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline
Made Member
Sophia  Offline
Made Member
Los Angeles
I'm going with Apple on this one - good point.
I'm going with the idea he probably felt comfortable knowing he was "in " the family.
Why would he think they would hurt him,on the contrary, MIchael is Godfather to his son.
Michael said he'd call him later, so maybe Carlo was checking the phone to make sure it was working?, you know in case he missed the call? (okay, yeah dumb I know- hehe)

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16927
08/02/04 02:25 PM
08/02/04 02:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Sophia:
...maybe Carlo was checking the phone to make sure it was working?, you know in case he missed the call? ...
Or...maybe he was calling one of his Vegas 'whores' to let her know he had to meet with the boss & would be coming out on a later plane!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16928
08/02/04 02:59 PM
08/02/04 02:59 PM
Detroit
Wiseguy
Wiseguy
Detroit
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:The call itself had NOTHING to do with his fate. Michael's intent was to have him killed from before he even walked into the room.
Oh, I agree, Carlo's fate was sealed long before Mike saw him with the phone in his hand. I should have been clearer: I think the chances are pretty good the phone call was with someone on the other end who was telling Carlo that the poop was really hitting the fan. And that he recognized his fate was tied with theirs.

But then again, he's shocked when Mike says Barzini and the rest are dead. Like it's news to him.

Bears careful watching.

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16929
08/02/04 03:46 PM
08/02/04 03:46 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE].. then again, he's shocked when Mike says Barzini and the rest are dead. Like it's news to him...
Exactly.

I don't think Carlo had any idea what was about to happen, and I don't think the phone call ties in to any of it.

Besides...Michael's men had just gotten finished wiping out the Heads of all the rival Families. Who on earth would have the time or concern to be conversing with Carlo Rizzi?!?!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16930
08/02/04 04:08 PM
08/02/04 04:08 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
In the novel, he was talking to his "mistress", although he had hung up and decided to save time by getting dressed to go see her before Michael's arrival.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16931
08/02/04 04:27 PM
08/02/04 04:27 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I remember Turnbull saying he was calling his mistress now that he had lost the trip with his wife to Vegas wink

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16932
08/02/04 06:50 PM
08/02/04 06:50 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I don't think Carlo had any idea what was about to happen....
Did Carlo know? Yes when Michael told him that he couldnt got to Vegas, he knew. He quieted Connie so she wouldnt suspect anything, and went to the house becuase he knew death would be coming and he accepted it. He didnt want to run off screaming and make the other buttonmen think he was a sissy. tongue lol

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16933
08/03/04 12:32 AM
08/03/04 12:32 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I believe that Carlo's business with Barzini was finished when Sonny was killed. Each got what he wanted; and Carlo, apparently given a position of prominence in the family when Michael took over, didn't need Barzini anymore. So, I go with Carlo on the phone with his mistress, as it said in the novel. And, as Apple pointed out earlier, it gave the scene some life to have him on the phone, instead of reading, or cracking his knuckles while waiting for Michael.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Carlo's Last Phone Conversation #16934
08/04/04 01:18 PM
08/04/04 01:18 PM
Los Angeles
Sophia Offline
Made Member
Sophia  Offline
Made Member
Los Angeles
I watched that scene last night - he was actually making a call- probably to his girlfriend -

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull