GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 261 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,425
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129814
02/24/06 03:08 PM
02/24/06 03:08 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Meaningless?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129815
02/24/06 10:19 PM
02/24/06 10:19 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I don't know how I missed such a post. Maybe I was too busy waiting for Apple, or I was off doing some school-related thing. Nevertheless, I felt the need to address some of the whiny, entitled, "my generation" crap that has been eminating from this thread. I prefer to call it the ME Generation.

Quote:
We're deemed atheists and 'god-haters' when we question any form of religion or faith. We know that our parents had these same questions running through their minds when they were our age, but we may not be as afraid to speak our minds. We are spit upon when we let our voices be heard or question authority and we're told to be quiet. We will no longer be quiet.
Please...please. Who ever spit on you? You want to talk about challenging authority and fighting for rights and such? Do some research about the civil rights movement. Cleveland Sellers.

Told to be quiet? Questioning authority? My goodness. You act as though you're trying to push some monumental movement when in reality, as you've already alluded to in your post, it is a rehash of the hippies of the Vietnam era, educated kids who feel that they are obligated to nothing and deserving and entitled to everything.

Quote:
We will follow our nation's guide, which isn't the Bible that some of you conservatives think it is. It is the US Constitution.
Funny, because, if you go to the Supreme Court in Washington, D.C., you'd see that the Constitution (among other major American documents) were based in part upon religious texts (hence, the 10 Commandments being displayed on public sites).

And let's not get all high-and-mighty about the Constitution here...after all, on one hand, you'll hold it up and praise it when it suits you, and then on the other, you'll spit on it and wipe your ass with it. That is how the ME generation is operating to this point.

Please note, the following comments are directed towards Oberst, not any members here.

Quote:
When the president talks to God
Are the conversations brief or long?
Does he ask to rape our women’s rights
And send poor farm kids off to die?
Does God suggest an oil hike
When the president talks to God?
No, you blasphemous bastard. God asks us to love one another.

Unfortunately, shit happens. And then we have to fight to preserve our nation.

Quote:
Does he fake that drawl or merely nod?
Agree which convicts should be killed?
Where prisons should be built and filled?
Which voter fraud must be concealed
Here's a good one.

When Ted Kennedy talks to God
Does he take a drink or chew a wad?
Have another beer at the bar?
Maybe learn to drive his car?
Staying away from certain lakes
Poor Mary Jo, he couldn't "will" back that mistake

Quote:
We should find some jobs. the ghetto's broke
No, they're lazy, George, I say we don't
Just give 'em more liquor stores and dirty coke
That's what God recommends
Because, Mr. Oberst, you know that the President is directly responsible for liquor stores and cocaine.

Oh, snap! You mean that the poor might be poor for a reason besides George W. Bush! Unthinkable! It's the governments fault!

Quote:
Do they drink near beer and go play golf
While they pick which countries to invade
Which Muslim souls still can be saved?
I guess god just calls a spade a spade
Gee...why don't you write a song about Osama Bin Laden? I hear he talked to God too...and then killed 3,000+ Americans one fine day in September of 2001.

Quote:
Does he ever think that maybe he's not?
That that voice is just inside his head
When he kneels next to the presidential bed
Does he ever smell his own bullshit

I doubt it

I doubt it
The only bullshit here is coming from this wanks yuppie arse.

I wish Bob Dylan was the voice of our generation...he knew how to write a song (beyond Oberst's "Mother Goose" rhyme time).

---

So, in the end, the ME Generation can continue to worship people like Oberst, cry that they can't get jobs despite their education, and claim that their rights are being infringed. Then again, you could always just listen to G-Unit and be a gansta', smoke some more pot, and then do the responsible thing and participate in underage drinking!

Certainly, a generation that respects the law like that should be treated with respect! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Double-J

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129816
02/24/06 10:47 PM
02/24/06 10:47 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Go easy on Patrick, Double-J. He's a very angry young man, seems enjoy being caught up in the 'liberal flow' and is luckily young enough to have time to get some sense knocked into him.

While showing sparks of true intelligence and warmth every now and then on the BB, he's still confused and rebellous enough to be attracted to the useless anger of the liberal Democrats. It's a source of adventure and he knows it gets attention, both here and elsewhere.

I have genuine hope for Patrick. Time will tell.

Just the same, I'm grateful he's not my son...

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129817
02/24/06 10:59 PM
02/24/06 10:59 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

But I do so enjoy the ritual bashing ineptitude, Apple! I can't contain myself! :p

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129818
02/25/06 01:17 AM
02/25/06 01:17 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

Just the same, I'm grateful he's not my son...
And I pity your child.

DJ - Hope you realize that the post you replied to was made almost 6 months ago. You replied to it then.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129819
02/25/06 10:35 AM
02/25/06 10:35 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I know. But my previous reply didn't address the topic at hand, I merely made a comment in response to Neil Young's name being mentioned.

Cheers,
Double-J

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129820
02/25/06 10:50 AM
02/25/06 10:50 AM
The north
Scarface.1 Offline
Underboss
Scarface.1  Offline
Underboss
The north
I hope it isn't Bright Eyes, a man that slated the late John Peel for basically no reason then blamed it all on alcohol.

Who's keyzer soze?

How are thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil. Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles you eunich jelly thou.
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129821
06/26/06 09:40 AM
06/26/06 09:40 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Bright Eyes Completing Politics-Free Album At Nebraska Compound

With President Bush's approval rating hovering around 35 percent, the violence in Iraq going from bad to worse and the nation seemingly divided by issues like immigration reform and gay marriage, you'd think Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst would have songwriting material to spare.

Over the past year, he's fashioned himself into a modern-day Woody Guthrie, belting out songs like "When the President Talks to God" on The Tonight Show and appearing at anti-war concerts like the Bring 'Em Home Now show in New York (see "Bright Eyes Slam 'Off-The-Leash Administration'; Give Details On New Albums").

But if nothing else, Oberst is unpredictable. So when he told MTV News that his new album wouldn't feature a single political song, it wasn't really that surprising.

"I don't think there's going to be any more overtly political stuff," Oberst said. "I mean, obviously, we need to have some kind of change in the mid-term elections and in the next presidential election, but when I sing the songs now, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. It's too easy.

"Everyone knows we have an incompetent administration," he continued. "Back in 2003, 2004, it was different. The idea of going out now and hitting people over the head with it doesn't appeal to me [because] I feel that people are coming around."

Oberst has been working on the new Bright Eyes album in New York; Portland, Oregon; and his new home studio in Omaha, Nebraska, with a band that consists of Saddle Creek producer/multi-instrumentalist Mike Mogis and musician/arranger Nate Walcott. He said that he hopes to have all the recording finished by November, and that the album should be in stores by March or April.

"So far, the songs reflect all the things we're into: The folky, storytelling aspect of the music, the psychedelic studio vibe and the rock we all grew up doing," he said. "We have a lot of ideas. I write songs and Mike is great at setting up microphones to get specific sounds, and Nate is a great piano player and a great trumpet player, and he writes and arranges string parts, too. I bought a new house and we're building the studio there, to finish the record. Mike and I have connecting houses, with the studio in between. It's like a compound."

Unlike last year's double-barreled releases I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, the new Bright Eyes LP is shaping up to be a single-disc affair, which will be preceded by an EP featuring "at least" one song from the new album. There's also an all-star group of guest musicians lined up for the album, including Sleater-Kinney drummer Janet Weiss, fellow folkie M. Ward and My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James.

"That's the great thing about traveling around and playing music: You meet these incredible people that you have a connection with," Oberst said. "I meet a lot of people I like and I'm happy to be friends with, but then there's other people who — not to get super-hippied out or anything — but you feel like you have to do something with them, that you have to work with them.

"And our band, not having set members, we're free to always change players and try new things."

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129822
06/26/06 09:48 AM
06/26/06 09:48 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Whatever happen to great anti-war artists, like James Taylor? My generation sucks. :p

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129823
06/26/06 05:06 PM
06/26/06 05:06 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
No goofy/tongue out face needed. Our generation really does suck.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 54: The voice of my generation #129824
06/27/06 01:15 AM
06/27/06 01:15 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
I've got bad news my young friends. We have no muse! There is no salvation through song here!

We have a slight glimmer of hope. And that glimmer's name is Neil Young. His new album and previous few albums have been about the sorry state of our environment and the government. He's releasing a new album Sept. 27th and I'm very much loooking forward to it. It's using only recycled materials for the case and a special ink for the inlet packaging. The man is a great role model.

Neil is no stranger to anti-war and anti-bad president music though. He's been a favorite of mine for years. He's been around since 1968 with Buffalo Springfield and then CSNY. He went solo to huge success with his anti-war songs. The guy was just a high-voiced, more political Bob Dylan of the 1970's.

The other's of the time: John Lennon, Bob Dylan, CSN, CCR, and many others are dead, broken up, or just stopped caring. Music is dead. You can make the argument that nobody has ever really cared about being anti-war or anti-vietnam, and that it was stunts to sell records and I'd believe it for the most part. But back then, it was more genuine. It was real. These people were extremely creative and talented and meant what they said. Nowadays, it's not from the heart and it's obvious.

Neil Young is the last of a dying breed. Johnny Cash was fighting for it, then he died. (One of the greatest musicians ever) There are others from the Vietnam-era that are still out there doing their thing, but with kids not caring about the quality of music, they lose record contracts quickly. I wish Dylan would get back into songs like Masters of War and Blowin' in the Wind, but he claims that was him at a different time and it won't happen again. Too bad Paul McCartney never got into that whole scene.

Oh well, If you're looking for inspiration in these times, DON'T listen to new music....unless it's Neil Young.

The Doc
I was right about this. I knew Neil would not let me down. His new Living With War album is the only thing that has gotten me through these depressing few months. I can't wait to see him sing the songs live on Aug. 31.

Listen to Neil Young.

Listen to Neil Young. Listen to Neil Young. Listen to Neil Young.

The Doc

P.S. As for Conor, he's just doing what Dylan did and is now distancing himself from being labeled as a "protest singer". Probably a smart move.

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull