GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BarrettM), 340 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,673
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paulie Calling in Sick #16816
07/25/04 10:28 AM
07/25/04 10:28 AM
NY
Mickey Offline OP
Button
Mickey  Offline OP
Button
NY
I watched The Godfather again, and it got me thinking, like it always does. This time it was about the scene right before Vito gets gunned down. Fredo tells the Don that he'll get the car himself because Paulie called in sick.

I was just wondering, how many sick days do you get when you're a gangster? Maybe Paulie betrayed Vito to the Tattaglias because they offered him better medical/dental coverage.

In all seriousness, though.. For guys like Paulie, being a gangster is essentially their job. How do they get paid? Are they on a set salary that they get every week? And who pays them? Does the Corleone family have a payroll secretary?

You straightened my brother out?
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16817
07/25/04 10:35 AM
07/25/04 10:35 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Mickey:
In all seriousness, though.. For guys like Paulie, being a gangster is essentially their job. How do they get paid? Are they on a set salary that they get every week? And who pays them? Does the Corleone family have a payroll secretary?
Paulie was probably on the payroll of The Genco Pura Olive Oil Co. That would "legitimize" his earnings, so he'd probably get paid every week by payroll check. The other buttons had "fronts" also, whether it was being an employee of some trucking company or some other legitimate business.

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16818
07/25/04 10:40 AM
07/25/04 10:40 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
The novel says this about Paulie's income:
And then, after he had "made his bones" he had recieved a good living from the Family, a percentage of an East Side "book" and an union payroll slot.
It doesn't say exactly what his payroll slot was FOR, but I'm inclined to agree with SC in that it was under some "legit" job for the Genco Pura Co.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16819
07/25/04 11:01 AM
07/25/04 11:01 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Traditionally, a Mob "associate" (an unmade guy) gets permission to do a job like a robbery, or operate a crap or card game, in return for paying a percentage to the Mob guy giving the permission (as when Jimmy, Henry and Tommy, all unmade, robbed Air France and kicked back $60k to Paulie Cicero in "Goodfellas"). A "made" guy will be given a "living" (like an established Mob bookie joint, whorehouse, loansharking racket) and have to kick back a weekly "nut" to his Capo. Usually that amount is fixed, so he has to pay it whether or not his "living" is earning enough. An example: in "Sopranos," Christopher finally gets "made" and gets a living from Paulie, but he has to give Paulie Walnuts $4k/week win or lose.
As SC said, Paulie Gatto probably had a "legitimate" job (driver? handyman?) at low salary from the Genco Pura Olive Oil Company, which would give him some cover and enable him to declare a small amount of income to keep the IRS off his back. His real money came from the East Side book and the union job that Wayne cited.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16820
07/25/04 01:26 PM
07/25/04 01:26 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by Mickey:
I watched The Godfather again, and it got me thinking, like it always does. This time it was about the scene right before Vito gets gunned down. Fredo tells the Don that he'll get the car himself because Paulie called in sick.

I was just wondering, how many sick days do you get when you're a gangster? Maybe Paulie betrayed Vito to the Tattaglias because they offered him better medical/dental coverage.

grin grin Funny post, but does bring up some interesting questions. I think Turnbull is right on target with his answer. They all had some sort of "real job" for a cover, even Al Capone had a used furniture business. Thier incomes from mob activities were sort of like "commissions" and "tax free" wink

The down side was there wasn't much of a pension plan, but then again not that many were around to collect a pension, or even social security rolleyes

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16821
07/25/04 01:31 PM
07/25/04 01:31 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
Also, Willi Cicci was confirmed to be a truck driver for the Genco Olive Oil Company.

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16822
07/25/04 02:24 PM
07/25/04 02:24 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by johnny ola:
The down side was there wasn't much of a pension plan, but then again not that many were around to collect a pension, or even social security rolleyes
Yeah, but think of the payouts for the Accidental Death and Dismemberment policies.

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16823
07/25/04 07:46 PM
07/25/04 07:46 PM
Don Matteo Offline
Button
Don Matteo  Offline
Button
Well yes, Mr. Corleone I am interested in the position, but could you tell me more about the benefits package, starting with the 401k plan?

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16824
07/25/04 08:34 PM
07/25/04 08:34 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by Boss_of_bosses:
Also, Willi Cicci was confirmed to be a truck driver for the Genco Olive Oil Company.
See the benefits of being a teamster. God Bless Jimmy Hoffa, wherever you are. cool

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16825
07/25/04 08:38 PM
07/25/04 08:38 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Did Paulie need a note from his doctor?
How many sick days did he get a year?

By the way what was Paulies "legit" job. Was it that hard that he couldnt come to work because of a cold. Seems to me that he had a great job, driving the don around. How much better does it get. Drive a nice new shiny Cadillac, go to the best restaurants, get a generous clothing allowance, good seats for the Yankees game, what a schmuck. tongue

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16826
07/26/04 12:39 AM
07/26/04 12:39 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
By the way what was Paulies "legit" job. Was it that hard that he couldnt come to work because of a cold.
Maybe he was suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from repeated pulling of triggers. confused

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16827
07/26/04 01:15 AM
07/26/04 01:15 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] By the way what was Paulies "legit" job. Was it that hard that he couldnt come to work because of a cold.
Maybe he was suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from repeated pulling of triggers. confused [/b]
Or repeated pulling of something else.... eek

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16828
07/26/04 03:31 PM
07/26/04 03:31 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
In terms of sick days, I think they are unlimited essentially, depending on your position and the actual amount you earn. If you freelance for instance and rob this joint or that joint or hi-jack trucks, you could probibly get away with a few days of hard work and taking the rest of the week off, considering you had enough to shoot on up to your Capo. On the otherhand if you had a more established position like, if you were a driver, a more fixed schedule would have to be implemented. There presumibly are certain rackets and operations that may be more squishy than other ones as well and ones that may be harder to get into, perfect or do and then you could always expand your money making activities so it's all dependent on if you could kick up some cash to your capo on a regular basis. Then no one would really care if you took 3 days off here or there.

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16829
07/27/04 09:49 AM
07/27/04 09:49 AM
North London
Bella Mafia UK Offline
Capo
Bella Mafia UK  Offline
Capo
North London
By the way what was Paulies "legit" job. Was it that hard that he couldnt come to work because of a cold
I always thought that Paulie was only pretending to be sick, that that was part of the plan for the hit on the Don. Isn't that one of the things that drew Sonny's attention to him having "sold out the old man"?

...there's people who would pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father..instead of gaining a husband.
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16830
07/30/04 01:42 AM
07/30/04 01:42 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by Bella Mafia UK:
[b]By the way what was Paulies "legit" job. Was it that hard that he couldnt come to work because of a cold
I always thought that Paulie was only pretending to be sick, that that was part of the plan for the hit on the Don. Isn't that one of the things that drew Sonny's attention to him having "sold out the old man"? [/b]
While it is true, that Paulie pretended to be sick, I believe his fake sickness was a cold, or maybe the flu. wink

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16831
07/30/04 02:51 PM
07/30/04 02:51 PM
Don Matteo Offline
Button
Don Matteo  Offline
Button
While it is true, that Paulie pretended to be sick, I believe his fake sickness was a cold, or maybe the flu. wink [/QB][/QUOTE]

He did a pretty bad job of faking too!

Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16832
07/30/04 02:56 PM
07/30/04 02:56 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Didn't Clemenza say he's been sick all winter? So it sounds like Paulie's been busy doing a little reconaisance work. Sonny seemed to catch on to this, why didn't Clemenza, which is why Clemenza was a suspect for awhile.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Paulie Calling in Sick #16833
07/30/04 03:38 PM
07/30/04 03:38 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
Yes, I beleive in the book that they actually had their connections in the phone company give Sonny a list of every phone call both Clemenza and Paulie made over the past few months so they figure out which was the traitor.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull