GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 190 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,729
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,301
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,527
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,406
Posts1,060,326
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Translations in Italian... #4011
07/24/03 05:00 PM
07/24/03 05:00 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
In Part I, Michael has Fabrizzio translate for him to Apollonia's father. I realise FFC had him do this because Al Pacino could not talk Sicilian. But earlier in the film he talks Italian with Sollozzo. Are the two languages spoken in this scene different (ie. are Sicilian and Italian two different languages?) It just seems odd that Pacino would trouble himself to learn so much Italian for the Sollozzo scene nd then speak English for the Thunderbolt scene.

And then in Part II, when Fanucci comes into Abbandando's Grocery, why does Genco sart to explain to Vito what is happening? Can't Vito hear or understand what Fanucci is saying? Are there different dialects within the Sicilian language? confused Any insight would be much appreciated. THanks in advance.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Translations in Italian... #4012
07/24/03 05:11 PM
07/24/03 05:11 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Pacino really didn't speak much Italian in the restaurant scene. It was Sollozzo doing all the talking, except for a few clumsy words here & there from Michael.

His asking Fabrizio to translate to Appolonia's father was out of courtesy, because he knew he could state his intentions better in English and Fabrizio being fluent in both languages was the perfect one to assist.

However, in that later scene in GFII, where he's talking with his mother, Michael seems to be doing pretty well with Italian, though he still appears to be reaching for words. Of mama spoke English...but I think FFC did this purposely to give the moment more of a 'family' feel to it. More like this was a lost man not really knowing what to do next.

As for the grocery scene, Genco is not really translating Fanucci's words, but filling Vito in on what's been going on (cracking down on the neighborhood, people aren't paying, etc.). Obviously Vito can understand Fanucci, because they later have at least two conversations. When Fanucci stops the car, and then when Vito meets him with the $$$ during the Feast.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Translations in Italian... #4013
07/24/03 05:37 PM
07/24/03 05:37 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I always had the impression that Michael didn't speak Italian as fluently as his parents, yet I assume Vito did. When he had Fabrizzio translate, I assumed that he just wanted to make sure the translation was perfect, and didn't feel totally comfortable speaking it.

Then when talking to mama, as Apple pointed out, he seemed to do okay. I attribute that to the fact that he was speaking to family and felt more comfortable. Perhaps too, since Michael seemed to want to move away from some of the old traditions, he didn't try that hard to perfect his Italian. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Translations in Italian... #4014
07/24/03 06:08 PM
07/24/03 06:08 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
But why wouldn't Vito know about Fanucci? He had lived in the neighbourhood for sixtenn years--and he hadn't come across the man? confused

And Michael talking with Fabrizzio translating is I think purely down to Pacino's lack of fluent Italian; why would Michael want to speak English and risk letting word get out that there was an English speaking paisan in town (and thus expose himself to possible attacks from those looking for him)?

Mick

Re: Translations in Italian... #4015
07/24/03 06:59 PM
07/24/03 06:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I believe Michael had Fabrizio translate to make an impression on Sr. Vitelli, Apollonia's father. First, he wanted to show him that he wasn't just a simple peasant--he was enough of a padrone to have someone in his employ to translate for him. Take a gander at the look that settles on Michael's face--he looks imperious, boss-like, not unlike the look he had in his office in GFII after Senator Geary made the "oily hair" speech. Second, he wanted to reinforce the impression that he was an American, not a Sicilian, which would help smooth over the gaffe he had committed by talking about Sr. Vitelli's daughter.
As for Fanucci: Young Vito surely knew who Fanucci was, and what his reputation was. But young Vito made a habit of keeping quiet, so even his pal Genco couldn't be sure of what he did and didn't know. In a deleted scene, Vito, making a delivery, witnessed two young punks cutting Fanucci's throat.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Translations in Italian... #4016
07/24/03 09:17 PM
07/24/03 09:17 PM
Sicily/Switzerland
Don Lanzarone Offline
Associate
Don Lanzarone  Offline
Associate
Sicily/Switzerland
As a half sicilian myself (on my father's side), I can at least answer the questions about the sicilian language, which actually is an italian dialect. BTW, I speak italian fluently and I understand and speak a little sicilian (seeing my relatives in Siciliy almost every year).

The sicilian dialect is significantly different from, let's say "clean" italian. It contains a lot of words deriving from spanish and french, even some arabic. An italian from the northern part would hardly understand a word.

However, not all italian actors in the movie speak sicilian. It's basically some kinda southern coloured italian with a few sicilian expressions. The beginning of Part 2 is a good example for real sicilian, though (even if it sounds a little "learned" at parts). For example they tell young vito "Nun ti scandare" for "Don't be afraid", instead of (italian) "Non avere paura". Or "picciliddru" instead of "bambino" (kid). This should show you how different the two languages are! wink

There are even sub-dialects in the different sicilian provinces (towns). They, however, differ from each other mostly in the pronounciation (melody).

I hope I could help!

Greets

Don Lanzarone

Re: Translations in Italian... #4017
07/24/03 10:58 PM
07/24/03 10:58 PM
Cook county jail
lil_mafioso Offline
Capo
lil_mafioso  Offline
Capo
Cook county jail
Welcome DL! grin Man, that is really cool! I'm half Italian and I only know the swear words! lol

..Only dont tell me your innocent because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry...
-Michael Corleone
"..it was a murder but not a crime"
Re: Translations in Italian... #4018
07/25/03 12:34 AM
07/25/03 12:34 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Don Lanzarone. That was very helpful!
Another graphic example of Sicilian dialect is found in the opera scene in GFIII. At the very beginning, Anthony sings the famous "Siciliana" aria, which contains many unique words in dialect. A sure giveaway is the Sicilian use of the final vowel "u" instead of the "a" or "e" in non-dialect Italian.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Translations in Italian... #4019
07/25/03 12:37 AM
07/25/03 12:37 AM
Sicily/Switzerland
Don Lanzarone Offline
Associate
Don Lanzarone  Offline
Associate
Sicily/Switzerland
Thanks for the welcome, lil mafioso!

I'll try to visit this forum more often in the future, so I could teach you the one other italian or sicilian expression! wink

Si ci na cosa, unni ti puezzu aiutari, nun scandarti di chiedermillu! wink
(If there's something, where I can help you, don't be afraid to ask me!)

Re: Translations in Italian... #4020
07/25/03 12:45 AM
07/25/03 12:45 AM
California

California
Welcome Don Lanzorone!! smile I too am from a Sicilian family but regretfully don't speak the language (just words here and there).

I don't know if it's dialect or not, but my entire family and relatives pronounce Pasta with a "B" sound instead of a "P". They spell it with the "P", but it's always "Basta" instead of "Posta". I do know they will also say "BaSTA, meaning something totally different, like maybe "shut up"? Do you know what I am talking about? ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Translations in Italian... #4021
07/25/03 01:44 AM
07/25/03 01:44 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
it's always "Basta" instead of "Posta". I do know they will also say "BaSTA, meaning something totally different, like maybe "shut up"?
TIS, "basta" means "enough" in Italian -- Maybe they were saying, "hey! that's enough! save some for us!!" lol

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Translations in Italian... #4022
07/25/03 08:34 AM
07/25/03 08:34 AM
Sicily/Switzerland
Don Lanzarone Offline
Associate
Don Lanzarone  Offline
Associate
Sicily/Switzerland
Yeah, "basta" means "enough".

The sicilian dialect doesn't use very hard consonants, so a single "p" in the beginning of a word sounds more like a "b". In addition to that, the letters "st", like in "Pasta" or "basta", become a "sht", so it's pronounced either way as "bashta".

BTW: Does anyone know how and where to apply for a part in "Godfather IV"? grin

Re: Translations in Italian... #4023
07/25/03 04:12 PM
07/25/03 04:12 PM
California

California
Originally posted by Don Lanzarone:
Yeah, "basta" means "enough".

The sicilian dialect doesn't use very hard consonants, so a single "p" in the beginning of a word sounds more like a "b". In addition to that, the letters "st", like in "Pasta" or "basta", become a "sht", so it's pronounced either way as "bashta".

BTW: Does anyone know how and where to apply for a part in "Godfather IV"? grin
lol lol I'm sorry I don't know, but if you find out, let us know. I think all of us on the board haved "earned" at least a spot as an "extra". Wouldn't that be a kick?? wink

TIS

Re: Translations in Italian... #4024
07/25/03 04:45 PM
07/25/03 04:45 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Welcome, Don Lanzarone, your initial post in this thread was very helpful. Thank you! grin

Mick

Re: Translations in Italian... #4025
07/26/03 10:08 PM
07/26/03 10:08 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
Very cool we have a Sicilian here to tell us these things! Welcome!

"Basta" - I will have to remember that! grin

Re: Translations in Italian... #4026
07/29/03 12:36 PM
07/29/03 12:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, it's a little beyond just being a dialect. Since Sicily was invaded by so many cultures, the language there took a life of its own and some linguists feel it's different enough to actually be a language of its own.

As far as your original question, Michael doesn't speak Sicilian very well, as you can see when he becomes frustrated at the meeting with Sollozzo when he can't find the right words and starts to speak English. I also agree with Turnbull that having the translator gave him a sense of authority with Appollonia's father. However, he spent a long time in Sicily and I would imagine his skill of the language would've improved, as evidenced in the scene with Mama in GF2.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Translations in Italian... #4027
07/29/03 12:51 PM
07/29/03 12:51 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
your initial post in this thread was very helpful.
...And the rest were complete crap? grin

j/k, welcome Don Lanzarone! smile lol

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull