GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 353 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,459
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127177
09/06/05 09:56 PM
09/06/05 09:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I share your feelings SB, believe me.

But what we must try to do is to focus on the number of people that were rescued and saved. Otherwise we'll make ourselves nuts.

All in all whe you really look at this,the progress that was made in such a short time once the military came in was fantastic. Within 1 day of them being there they rescued something like 10,000 people and were able to move all 40,000 people out of that Horror Dome. That's quite impressive when you really think about it.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127178
09/06/05 10:05 PM
09/06/05 10:05 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Too little, too late, IMHO. This is not supposed to be a country where we pluck babies from the raging water, only to have them die a few days later because there was no water for them. Water!! Go into any 7-11 and there are gallons upon gallons of it!!

I know that we need to think about those that did survive. We have to think about what they will need to rebuild their lives. And we need to get them whatever it is that they need.

But we also need to learn from this so that it never, ever happens again.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127179
09/06/05 10:41 PM
09/06/05 10:41 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Every article I've read and every news report I've seen has been critical of the federal government to some extent.

Even President Bush himself has been critical.

The biggest defenders of the feds that I've heard have been right here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Fair enough Plaw. I just wanted to understand where you are coming from.

But to quote your sentiments from many discussions in the past, where do you draw the line in deciding when to bend the rules and when not to?
That's an impossible question to answer.

You have to take it one situation at a time and evaluate each on its own, based on the circumstances involved.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127180
09/07/05 07:08 AM
09/07/05 07:08 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
Every article I've read and every news report I've seen has been critical of the federal government to some extent....
'Nuff said.

Of course the mainstream media is going to have their day being critical of the Fed Gov't...why dare waste an opportunity for Bush-bashing.

What we have not seen is equal criticsm of the local govenment, the Mayor/Governor for not being better prepared for the flooding disaster, for sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the Feds to show up for not putting an organized plan into action. As was the case on 9/11 which was a completely UNEXPTECTED event.

Quote:
You have to take it one situation at a time and evaluate each on its own, based on the circumstances involved.....
That's all well & good in theory. But unfortunatly it's not how things work in the real world. The country has a Constitution, each state has its own individual Constitution and neither can be run effectively by evaluating each 'situation on its own, based on the circumstances involved'.

And even taking your well intended statement at its face value...if that is true, then the Gov. of Louisiana had been prepared enough to evaluate THIS situation on its own, based on the circumstances involved, then she would have made sure the city of NO was given particular attention with regard to the levees, and when they broke would've made sure she had sufficient communication with the city, and would've ordered in the National Guard days earlier.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127181
09/07/05 08:34 AM
09/07/05 08:34 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Listen, this stupid bitch that wants to call herself a governer has still not relinquished control over to the federal government. What in the world is this imbecile thinking???? End of story.

The buck stops there!!!!!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127182
09/07/05 08:37 AM
09/07/05 08:37 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Whoa Whoa Whoa....relinquished control?

C'mon, doesn't the Federal government remember that certain lesson from Civics class called "Supremacy Clause" of the Constitution?

You know, the Federal government always trumps a state government in matters of authority.

Then again, I'm just confused about the whole matter.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127183
09/07/05 08:42 AM
09/07/05 08:42 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:

You know, the Federal government always trumps a state government in matters of authority.

Wrong.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127184
09/07/05 09:09 AM
09/07/05 09:09 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Wrong?

You mean in a crisis-situation, like now?
Or always?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127185
09/07/05 09:12 AM
09/07/05 09:12 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
There are some American haters around the world who are now naming their newborn daughters KATRINA!
Aaaw, painful.
Where did you get this info from? And where in the world were the people with that kind of "humor" :rolleyes: ?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127186
09/07/05 10:00 AM
09/07/05 10:00 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I've explained the governmental procedure in many posts over the last week or so. You can scroll back to find it.

As for the KATRINA naming of children, well this has been reported on several talk radio shows. Mostly being done in the extremist muslim world.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127187
09/07/05 11:43 AM
09/07/05 11:43 AM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127188
09/07/05 11:51 AM
09/07/05 11:51 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That is so awful and sad. Just one more story to be added to the endless stories of heartache. And someone does have to be responsible at some point.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127189
09/07/05 11:52 AM
09/07/05 11:52 AM
Oslo, Norway
Al.Neri Offline
Made Member
Al.Neri  Offline
Made Member
Oslo, Norway
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/national/nationalspecial/07barbara.html

Quote:
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."

I posted this one in the New Orleans-thread. Didn't know it was a non-political thread. Sorry.

Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127190
09/07/05 12:20 PM
09/07/05 12:20 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
A stupid and insensative thing to say. Plain and simple. People need to think before they speak.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127191
09/07/05 12:41 PM
09/07/05 12:41 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
I agree politics aren't important right now. The people alive have to be helped first, and installed as best as possible.

But after that, someone will have to explain very good why things didn't run like they should have. You all know who 'someone' is. I really don't want to say it's on purpose, or what else BS, but he/goverment/others made big mistakes.

And to end a quote of an important Republican. It's in my own words, but it came down to this:
"If we weren't even prepared for something we saw on coming for days, what in earth will happen when there's a nuclear attack?"

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127192
09/07/05 01:01 PM
09/07/05 01:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
but he made big mistakes.
You mean SHE.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127193
09/07/05 01:10 PM
09/07/05 01:10 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Sorry, both.
I admit that I don't know how much the President was involved. But the fact that she did all kinds of things wrong, means he didn't do correct her, means he wasn't as present as he should have been about that. Which makes him 'guilty' too .

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127194
09/07/05 01:27 PM
09/07/05 01:27 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b]but he made big mistakes.
You mean SHE.[/b][/quote]"She" did, but so did "He".

Do you seek to absolve Bush of all responsibility? Even he himself says that he was "not satisfied" with the response of the federal government.

Absolutely, unquestionably, and without a doubt, New Orleans and Louisiana officials should bear the brunt of the initial responsibility and failure to act.

But I think it's fair to say that the federal government didn't exactly pick up the ball in a timely manner after the local officials dropped it.

The Bush presidency has been characterized by by what conservative NY Post columnist John Podhoretz today called

"A management style which is to vest extraordinary trust in the officials working for him - a system that only works when you have first-rate people in your emply, which Michael Brown, the astonishingly brainless moron running the Federal Emergency Management Agency, clearly is not.

For these failings, Bush has and will be held responsible. If he wishes to be given credit for his managerial presidency when it succeeds, he must take the blame when it fails."

You could also argue that FEMA never should have been folded into the Department of Homeland Security, whose main objective is counter-terrorism, not action in the event of a natural disaster.

As I understand it, FEMA's budget has been cut every year since.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127195
09/07/05 01:36 PM
09/07/05 01:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Plaw, I am not trying to say that the President is not reponsible for anything that's happened here, but I would like you to explain to me WHERE and HOW he dropped the ball?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127196
09/07/05 01:59 PM
09/07/05 01:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Because, regardless of WHO dropped the ball initially, citizens of the USA were stranded on the interstate, or lying in urine and feces-covered floors in the Superdome or Convention Center for DAYS without food or water. Lawlessness prevailed, teenagers rampaged with assault rifles, and people had to resort to crime to keep their families from dying in front of their eyes.

I don't care if LA was supposed to sign a piece of paper or not. When the director of FEMA says in a TV interview that they were UNAWARE of the dire situation, then there's something wrong with the system. What it will take to fix it, I don't know, but I heard and saw him say it with my own eyes and ears. And when the reporter incredulously said, "Unaware? Don't you or anyone else own a TV or radio?", his response was that the agency first learned of it FACTUALLY on Friday. Sorry, that's dropping the ball from a federal standpoint.

You want the top job in the country, you want to be the most powerful man in the world, then, as Harry Truman put it, "The buck stops here!"

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127197
09/07/05 02:15 PM
09/07/05 02:15 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Plaw, I am not trying to say that the President is not reponsible for anything that's happened here, but I would like you to explain to me WHERE and HOW he dropped the ball?

Don Cardi
He personally did not drop the ball, this FEMA guy apparently did.

And as Podhoretz wrote it today's Post,

For these failings, Bush has and will be held responsible. If he wishes to be given credit for his managerial presidency when it succeeds, he must take the blame when it fails."

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127198
09/07/05 03:55 PM
09/07/05 03:55 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
....the FEMA guy.

A few excerpts from the Boston Herald, Saturday, Sept.3

"The federal official in charge of the bungled New Orleans rescue was fired from his last private-sector job overseeing horse shows.

And before joining the Federal Emergency Management Agency as a deputy director in 2001, GOP activist Mike Brown had no significant experience that would have qualified him for the position.

The Oklahoman got the job through an old college friend who at the time was heading up FEMA."

"Before joining the Bush administration in 2001, Brown spent 11 years as the commissioner of judges and stewards for the International Arabian Horse Association, a breeders' and horse-show organization based in Colorado."

"Brown was forced out of the position after a spate of lawsuits over alleged supervision failures."

George W. will have lots of 'splainin' to do when this mess is over.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127199
09/07/05 04:45 PM
09/07/05 04:45 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
He personally did not drop the ball, this FEMA guy apparently did.

And as Podhoretz wrote it today's Post,

Fair enough. I agree with that assessment. In hindsight there is no question that it was a BIG mistake putting FEMA under The Department Of Homeland Security. And yes, Bush does share blame for his administration implementing that under his watch.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127200
09/07/05 04:47 PM
09/07/05 04:47 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
....the FEMA guy.

A few excerpts from the Boston Herald, Saturday, Sept.3

"The federal official in charge of the bungled New Orleans rescue was fired from his last private-sector job overseeing horse shows.

And before joining the Federal Emergency Management Agency as a deputy director in 2001, GOP activist Mike Brown had no significant experience that would have qualified him for the position.

The Oklahoman got the job through an old college friend who at the time was heading up FEMA."

"Before joining the Bush administration in 2001, Brown spent 11 years as the commissioner of judges and stewards for the International Arabian Horse Association, a breeders' and horse-show organization based in Colorado."

"Brown was forced out of the position after a spate of lawsuits over alleged supervision failures."

George W. will have lots of 'splainin' to do when this mess is over.
And they were worried about Bernard Kerik taking the job as head of Homeland Security because he had an illegal working for him as a nanny. :rolleyes:

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127201
09/07/05 08:44 PM
09/07/05 08:44 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Let's not forget that the New Orleans citizens who pay taxes could've had that tax money pay for better levees. Instead, that money was used to rebuild Baghdad, Iraq.
Then again, those same taxpayers probably should've been upset that billions goes to welfare and whatnot each year. After all, they could've used better levies!

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127202
09/07/05 08:45 PM
09/07/05 08:45 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
they were worried about Bernard Kerik taking the job as head of Homeland Security because he had an illegal working for him as a nanny.
I had no problem with Kerik, except that it looked kind of stupid to have a guy in charge if homeland securty and trying to keep the illegal aliens out, who had an illegal alien working for him personally.

But I thought he would have done a good job. So would Rudy, as much as I disliked the guy as Mayor.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127203
09/07/05 08:52 PM
09/07/05 08:52 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Mmm, yes, I agree with Rudy pretty much except for his pro-choice views. But he would've made a decent DHS secretary.

Kerik just got caught with his nanny ala Jude Law :p

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127204
09/07/05 08:55 PM
09/07/05 08:55 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] Let's not forget that the New Orleans citizens who pay taxes could've had that tax money pay for better levees. Instead, that money was used to rebuild Baghdad, Iraq.
Then again, those same taxpayers probably should've been upset that billions goes to welfare and whatnot each year. After all, they could've used better levies! [/b][/quote]I'd rather hand out free money to Americans rather then Iraqis. I don't know about you.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127205
09/07/05 08:58 PM
09/07/05 08:58 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] Let's not forget that the New Orleans citizens who pay taxes could've had that tax money pay for better levees. Instead, that money was used to rebuild Baghdad, Iraq.
Then again, those same taxpayers probably should've been upset that billions goes to welfare and whatnot each year. After all, they could've used better levies! [/b][/quote]I'd rather hand out free money to Americans rather then Iraqis. I don't know about you. [/b][/quote]Oh, silly. It's not free.

Honest taxpayers are the ones supplanting welfare and SSI.

Re: After Failures, Government Officials Play Blame Game #127206
09/07/05 11:59 PM
09/07/05 11:59 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
Honest taxpayers are the ones supplanting welfare and SSI.
How about someone who was an honest taxpayer for thirty or forty years and then gets sick, can no longer work, and depends on the money he or she gets from SSI?

And yeah, as you pointed out to Patrick the money is not "free".

So perhaps he should change his statement to read "I'd rather hand out tax money to Americans rather then Iraqis. I don't know about you."

Of course, it would be a fair argument to make that since we destroyed Baghdad, we have an obligation to rebuild it. I don't suppose I would disagree with that.

BTW, to "supplant" means to replace. I think you mean "supporting".

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull