GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (BugsyM, Ciment, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,315
Posts1,058,472
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 45 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #686695
12/31/12 11:33 PM
12/31/12 11:33 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Good to hear, Lilo. I tried the last few Grisham books and didn't get past the first few chapters. I used to really enjoy his books, and was disheartened by how bad they've gotten.

I recently finished Harlan Coben's "Deal Breaker", the first of the Myron Bolitar series. Bolitar is a former basketball star whose career was brought to a crashing halt when he is injured at the start of his NBA career. He becomes a sports agent who gets dragged into investigating the disappearance of his former flame's younger sister, who is also the girlfriend of his start football player client.

I liked it so much I just started "Drop Shot" the next in the series.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #686699
12/31/12 11:39 PM
12/31/12 11:39 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
I just finished, The Day the World Came to Town, by Jim DeFede. Great story about the 9-11 aftermath:
"For the better part of a week, nearly every man, woman, and child in Gander and the surrounding smaller towns stopped what they were doing so they could help. They placed their lives on hold for a group of strangers and asked for nothing in return. They affirmed the basic goodness of man at a time when it was easy to doubt such humanity still existed."

When thirty-eight jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2001, due to the closing of United States airspace, the citizens of this small community were called upon to come to the aid of more than six thousand displaced travelers"

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #687908
01/05/13 09:53 AM
01/05/13 09:53 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE HORSE AND HIS BOY

I must admit, I had some difficulty with this story. It just didn't peak my interest really at any point and found it hard sometimes to talk myself into it to continue. This is the first book without the White Witch and even though some of the Pevensie characters are in too, I didn't at all buy into Shasta or Aravis and their quest. So far this is my least favorite of the series. I saw the PRINCE CASPIAN movie so I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into next.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #688273
01/06/13 08:04 AM
01/06/13 08:04 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read Bill Bryson's book MADE IN AMERICA. A fascinating look at Americas language, culture and history. I really like Bryson, his work is informative and funny!!

I know Babe likes him as well!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #688392
01/06/13 05:38 PM
01/06/13 05:38 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I do! I am currently reading "Notes From a Small Island" about his travels through the UK. You might enjoy that one, Yogi. My two favorites, however, remain "Neither Here Nor There" about his travels through Europe and "In a Sunburned Country", which is about Australia. The Australian book was my introduction to Bryson and was loaned to me by none other than our dear Plaw.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #688607
01/07/13 09:53 AM
01/07/13 09:53 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I have read NEITHER HERE NOR THERE babe, but not the Australian one. I really enjoyed his A WALK IN THE WOODS. Very funny!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #688650
01/07/13 01:12 PM
01/07/13 01:12 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Just read "Life" by Keith Richards. He is bright, funny, insightful, and a terrific writer. One of the better autobiographies out there.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: dontomasso] #688667
01/07/13 01:48 PM
01/07/13 01:48 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, it was a terrific read, but it reinforces that Keith is one of the great reprobates.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Turnbull] #688670
01/07/13 01:54 PM
01/07/13 01:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I just finished "The Oppenheimer case; security on trial" by Philip M. Stern. A thoroughly detailed account of how a great physicist--whose leadership of the Manhattan Project ended WWII and saved millions of lives around the world--was hounded and disgraced by our government. A real blot on American fairness.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #688880
01/07/13 11:20 PM
01/07/13 11:20 PM
Go West Young Man.
B
Big Alex Offline
Made Member
Big Alex  Offline
B
Made Member
Go West Young Man.
I am finishing now 'To Big to Fail' about the Financial crisis of 2008; great book, a regular page turner. I would not have thought that anything written about high finance could be this interesting. I'm gonna be sorry when it ends.

For Grisham fans there is 'The Innocent Man' for those that have not read it. It is his one book that I really enjoyed. Read it twice. Intend to read it again.

You gonna finish that?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #690364
01/12/13 10:17 PM
01/12/13 10:17 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRICE CASPIAN

I really found it difficult to determine if I liked the movie or the book better. The book provides a little extra detail, especially about the ending of the film in terms of the Talmarines; however the film does a better job at setting the story up and providing more depth in other areas as to the book. Honestly I think the film could have been cut down in parts and if I was forced to make a decision, I'd have to go with the book. It was nice to see the Pevensie children again but this book fails to live up to THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE as a suitable sequel.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #690593
01/14/13 07:26 AM
01/14/13 07:26 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Lord Dunsany (1878-1957) was a true Renaissance Man (poet, author, playwright, chess champion, nobleman, pistol shooting champion, veteran of three wars, big game hunter, professor, animal rights activist) who had a profound influence on such writers as disparate as J.R.R. Tolkien, Neil Gaiman,(check out Stardust) Michael Moorcock, Evangeline Walton, David Eddings, H.P. Lovecraft, and even Robert E. Howard.

I had never read Lord Dunsany before. I decided to finally start reading his work and see if it held up to the wonderful things that other writers had said about the author. It did. Dunsany possessed a lyrical fluid verbosity with prose which reminds you of Shakespeare or King James.

In TKED Dunsany made a compelling tale of the problems that a mixed marriage between human and elf might bring. In Elfland Time does not exist or moves at such a slow state that it is virtually nullified. There is no rush to do anything. Moments of bliss can literally last for eternity. While Time stands still in Elfland it rushes in the mortal world. A human who spends a short time in Elfland may return to the mortal word and find that a decade or more has passed. Similarly an elf or other denizen of Elfland may come to our world and be frightened by the constant change of seasons, people aging, sunsets and moonrises and all of the other things which humans take for granted.

An elf has no religion and sees no reason why she shouldn't worship the stars. In TKED you get an idea of how far love would have to stretch when a human would have to find the words to explain to an elf that laughing and singing at funerals or asking advice from goats is not proper behavior.

This mixed marriage and several other events are set into motion when the Parliament of Erl decides that their home area needs to be better known. They tell their aged lord that nothing personal but they would prefer to be ruled by a magic lord. The noble thinks this a silly idea but must follow the rule of Parliament. He sends his son Alveric on a quest to bring back the King of Elfland's daughter, marry her and then produce an heir who will have magic. Alveric is a dutiful son and follows his father's instructions.

It's what happens after the wedding of human and elf-princess and birth of the new heir to the human kingdom, which is completed within the first few chapters, that makes this book unusual and worth reading. TKED is a great little novel about the perils of inviting magic in your life, the glory and madness of true love, and how sometimes you should be careful what you ask for.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #692772
01/25/13 08:11 AM
01/25/13 08:11 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER

Only recently have I discovered that I enjoy this story more than PRINCE CASPIAN. Although, the book doesn't unfortunately go into much detail as has been the case when comparing it to the film. It just skims over some things that the movie delved into greater detail on and I felt got more out of it. I did enjoy the film better however it did have a shorter runtime than THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE and PRINCE CASPIAN, which I'm glad. They didn't drag it out much or fluff it up to where things were unnecessarily added. THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE was a great movie but as I stated in my previous review of PRINCE CASPIAN, I felt the movie could have been trimmed down a little. 2 books left and no more Penvensie children so I wonder where the story will take us now?

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #694283
02/04/13 05:49 PM
02/04/13 05:49 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE SILVER CHAIR

Surprisingly a quite enjoyable book. I'm gonna be honest and state that I'm running a little tired of the NARNIA franchise for now but this definitely rekindled my interest in the series. The first part dealing with the Giants and such wasn't very interesting but the latter in regards to the witch and her black knight made up for it. I didn't know Eustace went back 3 times to Narnia as he was in THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER, THE SILVER CHAIR and finally THE LAST BATTLE. I wasn't a big fan of how they referred to him in SILVER CHAIR as Schrubb instead of Eustace as he was called in VOYAGE. Looking forward to the finale, THE LAST BATTLE and wrapping this thing up!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #694297
02/04/13 06:42 PM
02/04/13 06:42 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Story about WWII Olympian Runner Lou Zamperini

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: EastHarlemItal] #694392
02/05/13 08:21 AM
02/05/13 08:21 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
The latest Dennis Lehane. LIVE BY NIGHT.

Awesome as ever!!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #694400
02/05/13 08:53 AM
02/05/13 08:53 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The Book of Joby by Mark Ferrari.

The Book of Joby is as you might expect from the title, an epic, humorous and magical retelling of the The Book of Job from The Bible. It also nods to some other popular religious conspiracy books but that doesn't become apparent until later. As usual Lucifer is trying to find a way to destroy all creation.
Lucifer and God make another bet. Lucifer still insists that given time and resources he can make even the most righteous human despair and curse God. God says he can't. If Lucifer wins the bet, God agrees to wipe creation and start over using Lucifer's ideas.God will pick the human whom Lucifer will get to test for about 30 years. Neither God nor any of His angels will interfere. Lucifer and his hellish subordinates can't kill the human or threaten to kill him but can do anything else.

The chosen child is one Joby Peterson, an unabashedly happy and optimistic nine year old boy with fantasies of being King Arthur, fighting the devil and doing good. Thanks to Lucifer, Joby grows into a mediocre sad man beset with self-doubt and riddled with hidden rage. Time is running out on the bet and Lucifer is getting close to victory.

I appreciated the lack of cynicism and anti-heroes. The Book of Joby shows cynicism, despair and pessimism masquerading as honesty to be bad, even demonic things. This book was a much needed break from morally gray stories.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #695441
02/09/13 09:54 AM
02/09/13 09:54 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LAST BATTLE

So I finally finished THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA series. Overall it was good; a bit dry and tiresome in parts but overall somewhat satisfying. This book I really felt started out well with the ape and donkey fooling all of Narnia but the 2nd half I wasn't as much of a fan. I did however like the ending and it gave me one additional twist wondering how it was all going to play out. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the books turned into movies but I'm sure that's not going to happen or at least anywhere in the near future.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #695590
02/10/13 06:49 AM
02/10/13 06:49 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
A cracking good read called GOOD VIBRATIONS, about 2 Brits travelling America on their Harleys. Funny and informative!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #695602
02/10/13 08:55 AM
02/10/13 08:55 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
A cracking good read called GOOD VIBRATIONS, about 2 Brits travelling America on their Harleys. Funny and informative!

Based on the title, I would have thought it was about a different subject matter... whistle

Winter is Coming

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #695603
02/10/13 09:02 AM
02/10/13 09:02 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
By the title, the first thing that came to my mind was The Beach Boys. grin

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #695750
02/11/13 05:14 AM
02/11/13 05:14 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I think it was all about those big Harley engines throbbing away between their legs!!!!

Deary me sick

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #695940
02/11/13 09:47 PM
02/11/13 09:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
"Triumphs of Experience: The Men of the Harvard Grant Study," by George E. Vaillant.

This book summarizes 75 years of intensive tracking and study of over 200 men who were sophomores at Harvard, starting in 1938 through 1944. They were intensively examined physically and psychologically, and their lives and careers tracked into their eighties and nineties. The author is a pschyciatrist and professor, and is thrilled to have such a long-term body of research to apply scientific and statistical methods to. He shows that men can change and adapt throughout life, and aren't always trapped by environmental factors such as unfavorable childhoods, emotional shortcomings while young, etc.

His thumbnail bio's of these men were very interesting. Most were very successful in their fields compared with average folks. I wasn't as thrilled with his science as he was, although some of his findings were startling (e.g., men who had unloving, uncaring parents were much more likely to develop Alzheimer's than those who had warm, loving parents).

But I doubt his methodology would apply to people as a whole. This was an ultra-elite group of men. Far fewer Americans went to college before the end of WWII and the GI Bill, and only a tiny percentage got into Harvard--then and even now regarded as the top Ivy League School. A degree from Harvard then (and in some respects now) was (is) a door-opener to the upper middle class and the top of the grad's chosen field. Being a member of that tiny elite was no guarantee of a happy, successful life, but it sure helped.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Turnbull] #696092
02/12/13 04:36 PM
02/12/13 04:36 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
[quote=Turnbull I wasn't as thrilled with his science as he was, although some of his findings were startling (e.g., men who had unloving, uncaring parents were much more likely to develop Alzheimer's than those who had warm, loving parents).

[/quote]

It was always my understanding that Alzheimer's was based on heredity. Did he elaborate on this finding?

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #705372
03/23/13 04:44 PM
03/23/13 04:44 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
For those of you with a NOOK e-reader, Dan Brown's THE DA VINCI CODE is available for free (as of a few days ago). I have the hardcover, but downloaded it anyway, because it's free, so why not?!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #705455
03/23/13 10:46 PM
03/23/13 10:46 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I guess not for the Kindle?? I have so many books, and I don't remember the last time I opened one, thanks to the Kindle. I love my books, and really never thought I would take to an e-reader, but I absolutely love it, especially for travel.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #705484
03/24/13 04:45 AM
03/24/13 04:45 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I'm currently reading Battle Royale by Houshun Takami, good read so far..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #705523
03/24/13 12:01 PM
03/24/13 12:01 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Let me know how you like that DE NIRO. I've got it on my iPad mini and I've seen the movie. I'm interested in reading it but have yet to find the time unfortunately. I'm currently reading A HARD DAYS WRITE and am enjoying it very much!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #705571
03/24/13 02:24 PM
03/24/13 02:24 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Its a great read IRISH, Much better than the film.. Would advise you too read it..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #705737
03/25/13 05:42 AM
03/25/13 05:42 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Currently reading the autobiography of H Norman Schwarzhopf IT DOESN'T TAKE A HERO.

Great read about a top soldier. His early chapters about his service in Vietnam are particuarly interesting.

Page 33 of 45 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull