GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 394 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,091
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 45 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #560964
11/22/09 04:20 PM
11/22/09 04:20 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I have been reading the Love Comes Softly series. I am on book 6 now. Loves Unfolding Dream.

Sometimes you can see the series on the Hallmark Channel.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Mignon] #561798
12/06/09 10:13 PM
12/06/09 10:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

FROM RUSSIA FROM LOVE

By far the best Bond book I've ever read. It was truly gratifying to see how faithful the film was to the novel. What I really enjoyed about this book is that Bond isn't introduced until around chapter 11 (almost half-way through the book). The first half of the book is from the Russian side trying to set their trap for James. An absolute AWESOME read!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #561816
12/07/09 11:13 AM
12/07/09 11:13 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

I also read "The Scarlet Letter" to help my daughter in English class. I try to read whatever she's required to read so that we can discuss it. Why oh why is this book still required?? I appreciate the theme of a repressive and sexist society and how wrong it is, but is there no other book that can give the kids that?? UGH!

I love this book, and relaize I'm in the minority. But if I had to make a "Mt. Rushmore" list of the four greatest American novels, I'd include it. I thought it artfully weaved multiple strong themes in a compelling manner. I actually find that most people consider it dull and drawn out. So I may be a little weird.

Gotta go with Klyd on this. And I agree, the majority is with babe. I know since I remember I was one of the few students in class who actually loved it. They threw rocks at me. (ok not really..) but what I love most is the way Hawthorne use the english language with such richness that every description is so vivid. I wouldnt include it in the mount rushmore tho.

My "Mount Rushmore" of American novels:

1) The Great Gatsby
2) Moby-Dick
3) Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
4) The Grapes of Wrath

Had to leave out quite a few excellent novels, but I think that's my Mount Rushmore.

Anyone else willing to share his/her Mt.Rushmore of American novels ?

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #561819
12/07/09 11:46 AM
12/07/09 11:46 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, she's reading Huck Finn now. Love that book. However, on my list would be:

The Great Gatsby
The Fountainhead
The Sound and The Fury
To Kill A Mockingbird

It was very difficult to narrow it down, since I would have preferred to add more Rand and more Fitzgerald, but those two are my favorites.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #561824
12/07/09 12:04 PM
12/07/09 12:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I'm surprised you're such an Ayn Rand fan, Babe. Don't get me wrong, she could really write. But she was such a batshit, insane, conservative that it surprises me a little bit.

As I've posted a hundred times before. Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #561826
12/07/09 12:12 PM
12/07/09 12:12 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Just read "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. Read it and you'll never look at a porterhouse or a ham the same way.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: dontomasso] #561827
12/07/09 12:18 PM
12/07/09 12:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Foer's a boob. As a novelist, he's unconventional and bombastic. He reminds me of Nick Tosches.

As for this non-fiction book about not eating meat? Aaah, fooey. lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #561831
12/07/09 01:01 PM
12/07/09 01:01 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Rand was a bit of a raving psychotic, but her books are amazing. Anyone who can write "We The Living" as a condemnation of a way of life combined with one of the most beautiful and tragic love stories ever, has to be a little crazy. Aren't all geniuses?

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #561833
12/07/09 01:04 PM
12/07/09 01:04 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Foer's a boob. As a novelist, he's unconventional and bombastic. He reminds me of Nick Tosches.

You're kidding, right? uhwhat

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: dontomasso] #561835
12/07/09 01:11 PM
12/07/09 01:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

You're kidding, right? uhwhat

About not giving up meat? They'll have to pry the corned beef out of my cold, dead hands. lol

"Fast Food Nation" did God's work. It got people out of McDonald's amd into cooking at home. Giving up meat all together is just sacrilege whistle.

As far as Foer as a novelist? I respect him. Vegetarians just rankle me lol.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #561840
12/07/09 01:21 PM
12/07/09 01:21 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

PB, read the book. He doesn't get all preachy about carnivores. His beef whistle is with factory farming of animals. He does to factory farms what Fast Food Nation did to McDonald's.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: dontomasso] #561842
12/07/09 01:28 PM
12/07/09 01:28 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
For you, Don T, I'll check it out and let you know.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #561935
12/08/09 11:54 AM
12/08/09 11:54 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read the autoboigraphy of one Sid Waddell,who commentates on the darts over here and also hails from Newcastle,my neck of the forest.

It is called BELLIES AND BULLSEYES and it was hilarious. Helps to be an English darts fan though i reckon smile

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #562799
12/21/09 01:16 PM
12/21/09 01:16 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Off and on I've been re-reading Tolkien's "The Silmarillion" which is his collection of myths and events that occurred thousands (millions) of years before his Lord of the Rings story.

In particular I've just finished the chapter "The Akallabeth" which is Tolkien's retelling of the myth of Atlantis. Faithful humans are given a great island in the West and abilities/knowledge far beyond that of the average human.

However over time they grow increasingly jealous of the gifts of the elves and fall into evil, becoming imperialists and men of war and brutality. Eventually they reject good completely. Seeking not only immortality but mastery over all creation, they turn to the worship of Sauron and launch an attack on Paradise.

So God changes the world so that not only is Paradise completely removed from men for evermore but Numenor itself is destroyed and falls into the sea. It's really a very lyrical and elegant story and is somewhat of an allegory or metaphor (though Tolkien famously hated both) of the inability of humans to be happy with what they have.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #562840
12/21/09 06:15 PM
12/21/09 06:15 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Just finished reading Bill Parcell's "Finding A Way To Win"

Excellent book which not only applies to coaching football, but to life in general.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Don Cardi] #562842
12/21/09 06:18 PM
12/21/09 06:18 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
DC - I have always been a big fan of Parcells. At one point I was hoping the Bears would get him as a coach. He can be a real SOB, for sure but he's got the titles and the rings to back it up. What is he up to these days?

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Mark] #562843
12/21/09 06:21 PM
12/21/09 06:21 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
He's currently with the Miami Dolphins. I believe that he is an Executive Vice President.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Don Cardi] #562845
12/21/09 06:24 PM
12/21/09 06:24 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Hard to see him stuck behind a desk. Seems odd not to see him on the sidelines barking at someone. But we all chill out some time in life, I guess. We could sure use him here in Chicago. We love Lovie Smith but we would like to win also!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Mark] #563212
12/26/09 11:54 AM
12/26/09 11:54 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

This is a mixed genre book set in England of the very near future. In this book not only is there widespread proof of life after death but all sorts of previously unbelievable creatures-vampires, ghosts, werewolves, demons etc are found to exist and taken in stride by humanity.

The book's protagonist is Felix Castor, a man who's had the ability to see and talk to the dead since childhood. It's only in the past decade that he's been making a living as an exorcist.

Of course working as an exorcist you tend to make a lot of enemies with unnaturally long memories so Castor decides to get out of the game but not before taking One Last Job.

This leads to all sorts of unpleasantness as might be expected. This is really an updated detective novel with supernatural events thrown in and is a lot of fun. It comes complete with mob bosses, damsels in distress, femme fatales and all sorts of other typical genre cliches. Despite all this, or perhaps because of it, it's a fun read with great characters and more than a few surprises along the way.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #563454
12/28/09 10:11 PM
12/28/09 10:11 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

DR. NO

This film was probably the closest to any novel yet. In part because it was the first Bond film and also because Ian Fleming was still alive then. Pretty much the exact same way it's shown on film except for a minor addition towards the end that I'm glad wasn't preserved on film.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #564328
01/08/10 02:35 PM
01/08/10 02:35 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
"Everybody Smokes in Hell" by John Ridley.

Ridley is a screenwriter by trade (he was the screenwriter for the movie "U-Turn" which was based on his book "Stray Dogs" and the screenwriter for the comedy "Undercover Brother") and his book has a very visual element to it. It reads VERY much like a movie script. This is not always a good thing.

The book takes place in Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Paris Scott is a thirty something loser who works the nightshift at an LA mini-mart and just got dumped by his girlfriend. He happens to be working one night when he runs across Ian Jermaine. (a barely disguised Kurt Cobain incarnation) Paris tries to take the depressed rock star back to his hotel room but once they arrive Jermaine commits suicide. Paris winds up with Jermaine's unreleased final recording. He returns home and hides this recording in his sofa.

Meanwhile Paris' roommate-a wannabe gangsta- has just completed a ripoff of the meanest heroin dealer on the West Coast, one Daymond Evans. The roommate hightails it back to the apartment where he also hides the heroin in the sofa.

Neither man tells the other what he was up to and both proceed to try to negotiate a reselling of the "stolen" material to the record company and the drug dealer. As both men are thorougly inept at this the record company and dealer decide that they would just as soon kill them and retrieve their "merchandise". However they get the men confused and send the wrong people after each man. Both men go on the run separately. Something approaching hilarity ensues as Ridley does a accurate satire of the common predatory tactics to be found in Hollywood and the underworld.

However ultimately the book is sort of thin. It's quite "Tarantinoesqe" for anyone who likes that sort of thing. The most vibrant character is not Paris, who spends most of the book whining, wishing he had money for strippers, getting beat up or shot at, but Brice, a hitwoman with the psychology of Luca Brasi, the looks of Scarlett Johannsen and a taste for Bachmann-Turner Overdrive.

Winter is Coming

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #565207
01/16/10 11:00 PM
01/16/10 11:00 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

GOLDFINGER

I was pretty disappointed with this book. GOLDFINGER and GOLDENEYE are probably my two favorite Bond films, so needless to say, I was very excited to read this book. The novel and book are for the most part similar however this is the first book that isn't followed as closely as DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE were. Minor differences but enough to turn me off from this novel compared to the film frown

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #565566
01/20/10 09:15 AM
01/20/10 09:15 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

A collection of 5 short stories thrown together into a novel. The first is FROM A VIEW TO A KILL, which the film version has absolutely NOTHING to do with the novel. Secondly, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY is mirrored on film. QUANTUM OF SOLACE was surprisingly my favorite story from this book. Although this film has next to nothing to do with the book, it was quite an interesting story. RISICO and THE HILDEBRAND RARITY are the only stories not adopted yet into a film but I've heard rumors that RISICO could be the name of the next Bond film. However, the story of RISICO was also used in the making of the film, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. I found THE HILDEBRAN RARITY to be the most boring and my least favorite out of this novel.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #565585
01/20/10 01:48 PM
01/20/10 01:48 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Recently read John Grisham's, "The Associate". I enjoy his style of writing and plotlines. I've probably read all of Grisham's books. For my style of reading they are a perfect fit; quick, not too much to think about.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: MaryCas] #565586
01/20/10 01:59 PM
01/20/10 01:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
MC, I like Grisham, and believe I've read nearly all his books, too. However, I don't think any of them lived up to his first.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb. Although I wasn't a huge fan of "She's Come Undone", I loved "I Know This Much is True".

This newest book is captivating. It's about a schoolteacher and his wife, a nurse, who run into some marital trouble. Determined to start over, they leave Connecticut for Littleton, Colorado in 1998. They are both hired to work at Columbine High School. Based on true events, this fictional work follows the after-effects of the massacre, from terror to grief to survivor's guilt to chronic PTSD. It's an amazing book, although I find his main character to be a bit TOO flawed for my tastes. There are times he's just plain annoying.

At 800 pages, it's a bit of a challenge, and Lamb sometimes goes off in too many directions, but I haven't been able to put this one down. I highly recommend it.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #565735
01/22/10 08:34 AM
01/22/10 08:34 AM
Melbourne
Liz_85 Offline
Capo
Liz_85  Offline
Capo
Melbourne
I work in a book store, and so tend to steer clear of the books the masses flock to. But I caved and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson and it was awesome! Insanely slow to start, but it's worth it's hype. Also, The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas was one of the best books I read last year.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Liz_85] #565739
01/22/10 09:16 AM
01/22/10 09:16 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Liz_85 (HIYA!)
But I caved and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson and it was awesome! Insanely slow to start, but it's worth it's hype.
My uncle loaned me this. He raves about the trilogy.

I'm reading Chris Harman's Marxism and History, a thin but cogent read. It's two essays, "Base and Superstructure" and "From Feudalism to Capitalism". Recommended.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #565812
01/22/10 08:47 PM
01/22/10 08:47 PM
Melbourne
Liz_85 Offline
Capo
Liz_85  Offline
Capo
Melbourne
rumour has it, capo, that his wife found a manuscript for the fourth book under their bed. your uncle will no doubt be happy to hear it.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Liz_85] #565852
01/23/10 10:24 PM
01/23/10 10:24 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Just finished reading Beat the Reaper, written by Josh Bazell. Incredible novel that I just happened to stumble upon by accident while shopping at Target. The story centers around a Dr. Peter Brown, an intern at Manhattan's worst hospital, who just so happens to have been a hitman for the mob in a "past life." After certain things went down, Pietro "Bearclaw" Brwna enters the Witness Protection Program, gets his M.D., and starts practicing medicine. Things take a turn for the worst, though, when an ex-associate of "Pietro's" ends up in the hospital, under "Dr. Brown's" care.

The story is an excellent mix of drama, action, and dark humor that is sure to tickle the fancy of anyone who has even a passing interest in crime fiction or medicine. There are scenes of humor, horror, and one particular scene near the very end that will have you cringing. An excellent, quick read that I highly recommend.

I found the paperback at Target for about 11 bucks, but I bought the hard cover on the Barnes & Noble website for a mere 3 bucks.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #565974
01/25/10 11:40 AM
01/25/10 11:40 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just re-read Joe Pantoliano's autobiography WHO'S SORRY NOW. an excellent tale of his youth in the 1950's in Hoboken with a wide cast of family members and anti heroes,none more so than his slightly deranged mother smile

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Page 24 of 45 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull