GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 268 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,026
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,310
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If Duvall was in Part III....... #16255
07/11/04 12:56 AM
07/11/04 12:56 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Do you think it would've lived up to the expectations of I and II? I honestly don't think it would've. All the previous characters were so old and it was kind've sad to see them like that. Why wasn't a Part III made by 1980? -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16256
07/11/04 10:17 AM
07/11/04 10:17 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
NO- Duvall would not have made the movie any better then it was. It is that plain and simple.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16257
07/11/04 10:20 AM
07/11/04 10:20 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Had Duvall signed on for GFIII, the plot probably would have been very different, no doubt better. A possibility: Continuation of the theme we saw at the end of GFII (Michael increasingly doubtful of Hagen's value; Neri ever-more ambitious, especially with Rocco out of the way; Hagen having a mistress and other job offers). Intriguing stuff.
The long lapse between II and III: FFC had other projects to pursue, and didn't want to be defined solely by the GF films. This was the era of "One From the Heart," "Apocalypse Now," etc. He went boom and bust, his son Gio died--lots of distractions. Paramount persisted in wanting a GFIII, and finally, with the promise of more money and more control over the film, FFC agreed.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16258
07/11/04 10:27 AM
07/11/04 10:27 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
It was Paramount that needed the movie.
and of course if they changed the movie then it wouldn't be the same. They you would have to wonder if it was the change in the movie or was it Duvall being included.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16259
07/11/04 03:40 PM
07/11/04 03:40 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
Duvall wouldnt have been in GF3 no matter where it was made, he was absent because of money disagreements, right?

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16260
07/12/04 01:36 AM
07/12/04 01:36 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
As I understand it, Duvall bailed out of GF III because Pacino, Shire and Keaton were all to be paid considerably more.

I've stated many times on many different threads - I think the original concept for GF III was supposed to focus on the conflict between Tom Hagen and Michael, and when Duvall bailed out, the entire script had to be rewritten on an emergency basis, making the convoluted Vatican/Immobilaire story line the main focus.

So I think GF would have been much, much better with Duvall (or, if necessary, someone else) playing Tom Hagen.

"You did good."
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16261
07/12/04 05:29 AM
07/12/04 05:29 AM
sthlm, Sweden
Alberto_Neri Offline
Capo
Alberto_Neri  Offline
Capo
sthlm, Sweden
I've read that Duvall admitted that he shouldnt be payed as much as Pacino, but he didnt agree with half of his salary...

I also read somewhere that the movie would still be about the Vatican in some ways, and that Duvall would be assasinated in the beginning...

"After all, we're not communists"
- Barzini
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16262
07/12/04 09:59 AM
07/12/04 09:59 AM
Don Matteo Offline
Button
Don Matteo  Offline
Button
Casting Duvall in GFIII would not have made it better than GFI & II but it certainly would have made it better.

I like to imagine a script where Michael reluctantly gets in the middle of a power struggle between Tom Hagan and Al Neri.

I've read many times about the script being altered due to Duvall being written out. It looks to me like his duties were split between BJ Harrison (doing the legal maneuvering) and Al Neri (the consgliere type duties, such as sending the message to Joey Zasa after the massacre).

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16263
07/12/04 01:10 PM
07/12/04 01:10 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I doubt the end result would have been any different with Duvall in the film. You would still have the large time gap, the modern age story, the convoluted plot, and Sofia Coppola as Mary.

Now with Duvall AND Ryder in the film, then we are getting somewhere.

And I would have hated to see Hagen assassinated. He should have been there on the steps with Mike at the end. I doubt there would have been a power struggle between Neri, etc... it was barely there in Part II and Mike in Part III was already a changed person, filled with regret and probably would have clinged to Tom as the last brother he had.

EDIT: I actually think having Hagen slowly die of cancer would have worked. Have him on his deathbed could have resulted in some awesome flashbacks between Mike and Tom. Couple the loss of Hangen with the death of Mary would have been a far more complex one two punch for Mike to deal with.

Duvall in Part III would have been great just to see him as Tom again.

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16264
07/12/04 01:50 PM
07/12/04 01:50 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Having Tom Hagen die of cancer in GF III would have been an interesting parallel to the death of Genco Abbandando in GF I (the scene of which of course, didn't make the final cut.)

Maybe early on in the movie, Michael and Tom would be talking over the olden days, and flashback to the Genco scene and set up Hagen's own deathbed scene later in the movie.

Well, who knows.

"You did good."
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16265
07/12/04 01:53 PM
07/12/04 01:53 PM
Oklahoma
M
Marcos Offline
Associate
Marcos  Offline
M
Associate
Oklahoma
From what I understand there really wasn't that much that would have been different had Tom been in the movie. the George Hamilton character just replaced the character. The Godfather companion talks about this.

Also in the commentary on the DVD, Coppola notes that had Hagen been in the role of the lawyer it would have been better because it would have shown how far that character had come that he was dealing with the vatican. he didn't say anything in the commentary about any changes that would have been made had he stayed on and probably would have mentioned this had the original script called for a Micheal vs. Tom storyline.

Keep in mind he was pretty much negotiating with Duvall up until close to the filming began so I don't think there was that much change made, probably just small rewrites here and there and obviously a lessening of the BJ Harrison role.

Duvall, on David Letterman pointed out that he wanted to make at least half of what Al was making for the film but instead they were offering 1/5th. I think it takes away from the film him not being there, but overall it's not that much worse than it would have been because the overall story would have been the same.

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16266
07/12/04 03:12 PM
07/12/04 03:12 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by Marcos:
From what I understand there really wasn't that much that would have been different had Tom been in the movie. the George Hamilton character just replaced the character. The Godfather companion talks about this.

Also in the commentary on the DVD, Coppola notes that had Hagen been in the role of the lawyer it would have been better because it would have shown how far that character had come that he was dealing with the vatican. he didn't say anything in the commentary about any changes that would have been made had he stayed on and probably would have mentioned this had the original script called for a Micheal vs. Tom storyline.

Keep in mind he was pretty much negotiating with Duvall up until close to the filming began so I don't think there was that much change made, probably just small rewrites here and there and obviously a lessening of the BJ Harrison role.

Duvall, on David Letterman pointed out that he wanted to make at least half of what Al was making for the film but instead they were offering 1/5th. I think it takes away from the film him not being there, but overall it's not that much worse than it would have been because the overall story would have been the same.
I certainly don't think, given the generally hostile critical reception for GF III, that FFC would have gone into any significant discussion of how he *might* have done the film differently, because that would be handing all his critics a loaded weapon.

I base my opinion that Michael vs. Tom (not necessarily a mortal battle, maybe just a battle of wills) was going to be a primary story line of GF III mainly upon analysis of GF II, making notes of little plot points, the way Tom's loyalty was being tested and questioned, the way Michael was alternately hostile and trusting toward him. To me, the role of Tom Hagen toward the end of GF II was definitely being set up as a possible conflict for a sequel.

And the Vatican/Immobilare story line just has always struck me as not adequately thought through, as if it were rewritten in a frantic rush.

The B.J. Harrison character had no substantive role, no substantive lines, whatsoever in GF III. He just sits there and smiles and says 'yah OK' when Michael says something.

If that's the way the Tom Hagen role was written for GF III, then it's just as well Duvall didn't do it.

"You did good."
Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16267
07/12/04 03:31 PM
07/12/04 03:31 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Unless they had Hagen die of cancer, get assassinated, or go against the family, Hagen's role would have been a lot like Harrison's.

Sure, there would have been more to it, but nort by much.

However, I believe they would have done something with the character. Mike and Tom's storylines were dangling out there at the end of Part II and it would have needed to be tied up in Part III.

And if Paramount needed a Part III so freaking bad, why didn't they just give Duvall what he was asking? I mean come on, he was in Part I for crying out loud!!!

Shame on you Paramount, shame on you!!!

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16268
07/13/04 03:47 PM
07/13/04 03:47 PM
Luca's boy Offline
Made Member
Luca's boy  Offline
Made Member
It would have not only changed the complexion of the film it have made it emensly better. For starters it wpuld have elimnated that garbage charecter "B.J Hamilton" (boy does he suck). We would also recieve answers for some of our questions from part II

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16269
07/14/04 08:32 AM
07/14/04 08:32 AM
Washington, D.C.
sicilianspider Offline
Made Member
sicilianspider  Offline
Made Member
Washington, D.C.
I think it would've been better.. just the presence of another star could've slightly improved the film.

If you think about it, in the third film, there were no James Caan, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Robert DeNiro and John Cazale.

Even Al Pacino wasn't at his best.. Robert Duvall could've probably played a decent supporting role there.. but that's just my opinion.

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16270
07/16/04 11:57 PM
07/16/04 11:57 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I don't agree that Duvall's part would have been the same as B.J.'s. B.J. was boring, uncomplex, with no personality. Hagen was exactly the opposite. It was a huge mistake not paying him what he wanted. I think FFC kicks himself for it even if he won't admit it.

Re: If Duvall was in Part III....... #16271
07/18/04 06:05 AM
07/18/04 06:05 AM
Remember Vito Andolini Offline
Capo
Remember Vito Andolini  Offline
Capo
How much did Duvall ask for salary and got rejected by FFC?

Ricky Roma: You are here to help us... does that seem clear to you? That's your job... To help us, not to fuck us up... to help those who are going out there to try to earn a living... You fairy! You company man!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull