GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (hoodlum), 51 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,817
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
how many of you... #116424
06/23/05 09:17 AM
06/23/05 09:17 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
hardcore democrats would really secretly be happy if another terrorist attack hit the us while bush was still in office? reading some of the posts, it would almost seem like a victory to you if the us were to lose the war on terror and everybody died just so you could be proven right. on the other side of the coin, how many hardcore republicans would secretly be happy if another terrorist attack hit the us after bush was out of office and a democrat was in charge? sure your uncle might get killed and your grandma horribly disfigured, but at least you proved the other guys wrong. come on now, i expect some honest answers. you guys are anonymous. i know there's some of you who would gain at least a little satisfaction.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: how many of you... #116425
06/23/05 09:27 AM
06/23/05 09:27 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Jimmy,

I can't believe you would even suggest that. I may not support the war or this administration, but would NEVER wish for another attack, either secretly or publicly. And I would hope everyone, on both sides would never resort to that way of thinking.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: how many of you... #116426
06/23/05 09:29 AM
06/23/05 09:29 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
I think you got digestive troubles. Eat lighter at the evening meals! :p

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: how many of you... #116427
06/23/05 09:30 AM
06/23/05 09:30 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffer:
hardcore democrats would really secretly be happy if another terrorist attack hit the us while bush was still in office? reading some of the posts, it would almost seem like a victory to you if the us were to lose the war on terror and everybody died just so you could be proven right. on the other side of the coin, how many hardcore republicans would secretly be happy if another terrorist attack hit the us after bush was out of office and a democrat was in charge? sure your uncle might get killed and your grandma horribly disfigured, but at least you proved the other guys wrong. come on now, i expect some honest answers. you guys are anonymous. i know there's some of you who would gain at least a little satisfaction.
That has to be one of the sickest, most asinine things I have ever read, and you really oughta be ashamed of yourself to even suggest that. :rolleyes:

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: how many of you... #116428
06/23/05 09:53 AM
06/23/05 09:53 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Jimmy Buffer

That has got to be the most insulting and most ignorant statement I have read on these boards. Just because Democrats disagree about the policies of the Bush administration doesn't mean we want to see our country attacked. I love how we're painted as un-American for voicing our disapproval on anything that criticizes Bush. Do you think that because of the disputed 2000 election that the everyone who voted for Al Gore was doing cartwheels on September 11th?

As much as I truly hate George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld & Rice, I want them to do their jobs by protecting America. And I want the next president in 2008 to do the same - and the president after that. The people killed on 9/11 were not wearing signs stating their political affiliation - they were Americans. Contrary to your idiotic statement, Democrats were not sitting by their television sets rooting for more Republicans to be killed than Democrats on 9/11.

Re: how many of you... #116429
06/23/05 09:58 AM
06/23/05 09:58 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Re: how many of you... #116430
06/23/05 09:59 AM
06/23/05 09:59 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
... would NEVER wish for another attack, either secretly or publicly. And I would hope everyone, on both sides would never resort to that way of thinking...
Except that wasn't the question.

What Jimmy asked was not if anyone 'wished for' or 'would like to see' another attack...but if some would "...secretly be happy if another terrorist attack hit the us while bush was still in office?..."

While I don't think 'happy' is quite the right word, I do suspect there are more than a few libs out there (maybe not on this Board, but somewhere OUT THERE) who, if GOD FORBID that ever happened...would readily jump on the opportunity to rant that it happened on Bush's watch (as they love to do re 9/11) and so much for the war on terror.

Jimmy Buffer...While your choice of wording leaves a bit to be desired, you do seem to have a pretty good grasp of the core of things.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: how many of you... #116431
06/23/05 10:00 AM
06/23/05 10:00 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
did i make a statement? i merely asked a question. notice how you immediately began defending democrats right away. did i not pose the same question to republicans? i had to pick one party to type first and since d comes before r, i asked the question to democrats first. the only reason i brought it up is because after finding this thread yesterday i kind of got interested in just exactly how split our country is, so i went to a couple of other forums on the net, with discussions very similiar to this one, minus the godfather of course, and that very sentiment was expressed. i don't feel that way. like i said in the greatest presidents thread, i know absolutely nothing about politics. i'm just a college kid who is damn happy i'm an american and that's what i consider myself: an american. not a democrat or republican. i guess its too bad most people don't feel that same way.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: how many of you... #116432
06/23/05 10:07 AM
06/23/05 10:07 AM
California

California
Apple,

Ok, I wouldn't be "happy" if we had another attack no matter who was in office. I'm guessing there are some "loons" out there who may wish it, but they have to be hopefully, very very few.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: how many of you... #116433
06/23/05 10:11 AM
06/23/05 10:11 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Terrific, TIS.

But now that you've hopefully got a better understanding of his point...try to address Jimmy's post. Not mine.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: how many of you... #116434
06/23/05 10:14 AM
06/23/05 10:14 AM
California

California
Well, see above post. I thought I did. I don't know how many other ways to say it.

TIS

Re: how many of you... #116435
06/23/05 10:22 AM
06/23/05 10:22 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
Unbelievable :rolleyes:
i agree lou. it is unbelievable that some people think this way. i said this in another thread, but i'll repeat it to give you a perspective of why i ask. i'm just a college kid from little, old north dakota. you see, we don't have people getting shot, i don't have to worry about a drug deal going down in front of my house, etc. so i really don't understand the problems most people face. most people i know are happy and content with what they have in life. from what i understand north dakota is a republican state, but our 3 senators are all democrats, so there obviously isn't much political tension running rampant across the prairie. my youth and inexperience lead me to believe that since we are such a worthless state due our lack of a people and money, that people who lived in the important states that have more people and money would be ten times happier and more content than a north dakota farmkid. which is why i was surprised to find such an outcry about how horrible our country is right now or how horrible it was under clinton. i guess i just assumed since people are always bashing small states like north dakota, that things must be so much better in places like new york and california, but from the way some people talk, we live in the worst country in the world.

Re: how many of you... #116436
06/23/05 10:28 AM
06/23/05 10:28 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
goombah i'm still waiting to hear what statement i made. i'm really quite excited to find out exactly what i'm thinking from other people. it's so much better than actually thinking for yourself. i find it quite entertaining how you immediately went into "defend my political party" mode, even though i didn't attack your specific political party. i guess, from your response, my question wasn't that disgusting and ignorant after all.

Re: how many of you... #116437
06/23/05 10:33 AM
06/23/05 10:33 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I thought I did. I don't know how many other ways to say it.
Say it to Jimmy. According to his post, he's just a college kid who is damn happy to be an american, considers himself and American not a democrat or republican, and appears to have had not interest in politics until reading a few GD posts on this an other boards. I do belive he's intrigued by all this passionate discussion.

So (not just for TIS but everyone who seems to have misread the thread opener)...instead of a one-sentence answer that of course you wouldn't be happy if...try to give Jimmy what he seems to be digging for. A real discussion about how Democrats and Republicans feel, a real discussion about the fundamental differences between the parties, a real discussion on what each believes in, while all claim to be proud (and in some rare cases, ashamed) to be 'an American'.

Say it to Jimmy. Not me.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: how many of you... #116438
06/23/05 11:35 AM
06/23/05 11:35 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Sure, Apple. Jimmy, No, I would not be the least bit secretly happy. Not even in the darkest recesses of my mind. Not an ounce of secret or not-so-secret happiness would occur to me if our country were attacked again, no matter who was in the Oval Office. Jimmy, the answer is NO.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: how many of you... #116439
06/23/05 11:53 AM
06/23/05 11:53 AM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
thanks for your honest answers babe and apple. they are appreciated. double thanks to apple for acting as my consigliere and clarifying any misinterpretations people might have had about my original post. don't interpret that as thinking i'm above you in the pecking order. i know from the godfather forum, you're a much greater person in these matters than i am.

Re: how many of you... #116440
06/23/05 12:35 PM
06/23/05 12:35 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
We need more people who consider themselves as simple "Americans", such as Jimmy, free of political extremity.

When it comes to your original statement. It's true, elections are run by things which happen during terms. During Bush's first term, we were attacked. He used that as a political gain. During the debates or a few of his ads, he would bring it up. So attacks are definitely used for political gain.

I wouldn't consider democrats or republicans secretly "happy", or "glad" by an attack on this country, but they will definitely find a way to gain from it politically: in elections.

The rule of silence is we can't actually address this fact. We get slapped in the face for being "unamerican", even if it is the truth. So for now on, it would be wise to keep your observations (such as this one) to yourself, and not announce them to others unless you're sure you can get away with it (without them getting pissed). When it comes to current issues or politics in general, it's good to find a close personal friend who agrees with you on most issues (it's fun to have a debate every now and then), and doesn't get offended easily. I have my family for that.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: how many of you... #116441
06/23/05 01:01 PM
06/23/05 01:01 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
goombah i'm still waiting to hear what statement i made. i'm really quite excited to find out exactly what i'm thinking from other people. it's so much better than actually thinking for yourself. i find it quite entertaining how you immediately went into "defend my political party" mode, even though i didn't attack your specific political party. i guess, from your response, my question wasn't that disgusting and ignorant after all.
This is what you said, verbatim: i know there's some of you who would gain at least a little satisfaction

That is the statement I had the most problem with. If you actually read my statements, I made it quite clear - twice - that no matter what party one is affiliated with, it is ridiculous for anyone to wish an attack on the scale of 9/11 (or otherwise) for political benefit. As a Democrat, I find it insulting. And any Republican should find it insulting as well.

Your belief that you know what some of us are thinking is quite arrogant.

I don't know how much clearer it needs to be for you.

Re: how many of you... #116442
06/23/05 01:04 PM
06/23/05 01:04 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
"Happy"? What kind of twisted logic is that? I disagree with many -- okay, most-- of the Dems here on just about every political issue. But I'll be damned if I'd put the party I prefer over humane values just to gain some kind of sick political satisfaction. What have you been snorting, man?

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: how many of you... #116443
06/23/05 01:58 PM
06/23/05 01:58 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
or lose a father, son, daughter, mother 9/11 wasn't limited to uncles and grandmothers :rolleyes:

The answer is quite simple: The way Bush is handling it right now THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER TERRORIST ATTACK (sorry dems I NEEDED to say that :p )

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: how many of you... #116444
06/23/05 02:32 PM
06/23/05 02:32 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
But I'll be damned if I'd put the party I prefer over humane values just to gain some kind of sick political satisfaction.
I'll second that...

Hey, how's it going?
Re: how many of you... #116445
06/23/05 02:53 PM
06/23/05 02:53 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
as apple stated for me, i know absolutely nothing about politics and don't claim to. the only reason i even visited the general discussion was to see why dontom was leaving, but when i did, i saw all this talk that i didn't expect and had no idea even existed on this website. after reading some of the threads i was curious to see how other people felt on different boards since most people came here as a result of the godfather and not politics (at least i assume so) and i came across the post where someone actually wrote they would be happy if we got attacked gain during bush's term. i didn't come up with the idea, someone else did. this is the only board i belong to, so this is the only place i knew to post the question and see if this is a common feeling and our country is really that divided. i didn't say i felt that way and i didn't accuse any member of feeling that way. if i offended anyone i'm sorry. i guess from now on i'll stick to asking people what their favorite lollipop flavor is or who is their favorite muppet. i just found it interesting how you never even bothered to answer your question, you immediately began defending democrats like i was attacking them or something. it's nice of you to mention the republicans now because i understand what you meant better. had you made note of both parties in your original post like i did, then it wouldn't have looked so one-sided.

Re: how many of you... #116446
06/23/05 02:56 PM
06/23/05 02:56 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
"Happy"? What kind of twisted logic is that? I disagree with many -- okay, most-- of the Dems here on just about every political issue. But I'll be damned if I'd put the party I prefer over humane values just to gain some kind of sick political satisfaction. What have you been snorting, man?
i think some of you should read the original post slowly, then re-read it again. i never claimed those are my thoughts or ideas. as i've stated 4 times now, those sentiments were posted by someone else on another message board.

Re: how many of you... #116447
06/23/05 03:06 PM
06/23/05 03:06 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Then you should stay original, brother. Whoever posted it has a screw loose, man.

Re: how many of you... #116448
06/23/05 03:54 PM
06/23/05 03:54 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
[quote]
[b] i think some of you should read the original post slowly, then re-read it again. i never claimed those are my thoughts or ideas. as i've stated 4 times now, those sentiments were posted by someone else on another message board.
[/b][/quote]Gee, that's funny. Not once in your original post did you state that the ideas/thoughts were anyone's other than your own. Unless there's something written in invisible ink, I think you're the one who needs to re-read the original post.

If you're going to hide behind someone else's message board for ideas, you should have made that perfectly clear in your initial posting. You clearly did not. When you write something that inflammatory, expect an impassioned response.

Re: how many of you... #116449
06/23/05 04:02 PM
06/23/05 04:02 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
i also didn't write that those were my thoughts either. i asked a question. i didn't know that anything you ask automatically becomes your deeds. does that mean the next time i ask someone who shit their pants, i'm implying i shit my pants?

Re: how many of you... #116450
06/23/05 04:05 PM
06/23/05 04:05 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Uh-oh...poo-poo?!?

Re: how many of you... #116451
06/23/05 04:08 PM
06/23/05 04:08 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
When you write something that inflammatory, expect an impassioned response. [/QB]
when people freely trash and write imflammatory things about the country i've grown up in my whole life and the country i love, then you can also expect an impassioned response.

Re: how many of you... #116452
06/23/05 04:17 PM
06/23/05 04:17 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
[QUOTE].. Not once in your original post did you state that the ideas/thoughts were anyone's other than your own. Unless there's something written in invisible ink...
Here's what he said:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffer :
[QUOTE].. "...reading some of the posts, it would almost seem like a victory to you if the us were to lose the war on terror and everybody died just so you could be proven right.
Then he flipped the coin as asked how Republicans would feel if another attack came once Bush was no longer in office (althogh that doesn't necessarily mean a Democrat would be).

What he's saying is, that by taking a peek into the General Discussion thread, and seeing how intense the political discussions get...he got curious as to how each side feels about the other. How much is pure emotion and how much is based in logic and reality. I already mentioned that his choice of words might need a bit of work. But if you really, REALLY read the posts and quit the defensive crap...you'll get a little bit of an idea as to what Jimmy Buffer is getting at.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: how many of you... #116453
06/23/05 04:24 PM
06/23/05 04:24 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Buffer-
You really need to learn how to read. :rolleyes: Not once did I say anything inflammatory about this country in this thread. I went out of my way to state that any normal person would put the safety & well-being of Americans above any loyalty an individual would have toward a political party. Look at what Snake said - he strongly favors Repubs over Dems. Having said that, political preference doesn't trump feelings toward humanity or over how we want our citizens treated.

God I wish I could the past 10 minutes back that I've wasted responding to your warped logic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull