GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,819
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116235
06/22/05 01:11 AM
06/22/05 01:11 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline OP
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline OP
Underboss
Brazil
sorry if someone has already brought that up but I was reading threads about "The Departed" on imdb.com and I thought I'd better ask our respected film buffs here what are your thoughts on this flick. I think it can be a great Scorsese classic, since is his comeback to the gangster-genre, but I wonder why does Marty refuses to cast De Niro, Keitel and some of his old-school buddies. I'm sure he wants to rewash his work, and I aprecciate that, but he could cast one of these guys once again.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116236
06/22/05 01:39 AM
06/22/05 01:39 AM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Am I too quick to presume Leonardo gets the lead role?

You talkin' to me?
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116237
06/22/05 02:06 AM
06/22/05 02:06 AM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
I think Scorsese is working on a new breed of actors for this film. He was with De Niro and Keitel from the start of their careers, and I think now he's working with a younger generation of actors. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I feel he's gotten the most he (or anyone for that matter) can get out of De Niro.

Yes, DiCaprio has the lead role. But Scorsese really made a great actor out of him (never thought I would be saying that) with "The Aviator", and now they are a great collaboration. Plus, Mark Whalberg will be in this latest film, and he is underrated. Matt Damon is here too, and I have a lot of respect for him and feel he can become a great actor.
But the great casting is Jack Nicholson. To me, a Nicholson + Scorsese collaboration is gold, and can't go wrong.

A lot of peole don't expect much from it because it is a remake, but so what? Scorsese already gave us a great remake called "Cape Fear". And remember that pretty good sequel to a classic film he did called "The Color of Money"? I don't think anyone can accuse Scorsese for being a sell out. No matter how commercial his films get, his vision will always be there. I think people need to ligthen up and keep their faith in him.

How am I not myself?
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116238
06/22/05 09:33 AM
06/22/05 09:33 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Well this film is about Irish gangs. I think De Niro, Pesci, and Keitel might stick out a little bit. Besides, Leo seems to be coming into his own, plus they both can look the part better I think. And who can ever get enough of Nicholson!?

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116239
06/22/05 12:11 PM
06/22/05 12:11 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Well this film is about Irish gangs. I think De Niro, Pesci, and Keitel might stick out a little bit.
Actually, De Niro is three-quarters Irish.

How am I not myself?
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116240
06/22/05 12:15 PM
06/22/05 12:15 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Sure but like I said, I don't think he looks the part as well as Matt, Mark, or Leo do. I mean, De Niro could have had Nicholson's part, but you'd have to ask Marty why he didn't cast Bobby?

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116241
06/22/05 03:30 PM
06/22/05 03:30 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Why is he remaking it? With Cape Fear (1991), he remade a poor film (1961) which had obvious chances of improvement--Scorsese could, three decades after the original, pack up the tension and sexual terror more, thanks to moving standards in society and film.

But why remake Wujian Dao/Infernal Affairs (2002)? Scorsese, being the knowledgable guy he is in film, should know better than to remake an already well-made film. Society has changed little since 2002, so I see no social update on the cards.

I have faith in his direction, and always will; an artist never loses his ability to paint. But he often loses his ability to step back from his work and judge it with honesty. I suspect Scorsese is blinding himself with every film he makes: big money, big visions, big box office figures. Big stakes. Big mistakes.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116242
06/22/05 04:18 PM
06/22/05 04:18 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Here is an article I read a little while ago, that helped restore my faith in Marty.

Scorsese Plans Smaller Films
7 October 2004 (WENN)
Acclaimed movie director Martin Scorsese is ditching big-budget epic productions in favor of making cheaper, more personal films. The Gangs Of New York legend has just finished shooting Howard Hughes biopic The Aviator and he's starting to crave the freedom that a smaller budget allows. The 61-year-old says, "I'm looking forward to making pictures that have a little smaller budget and taking different stories and going that way. As Harvey Weinstein said to me this morning, 'If you want to do a film that is kind of dark or violent for $20 million or something, fine. Shoot it in 30 days.' But if you are going to do something for $100 million or $110 million, it alters your subject matter and how you present the subject matter. And you know, as I get older too, I don't know if there is any room for me, in a way, with what is happening."

How am I not myself?
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116243
06/22/05 04:19 PM
06/22/05 04:19 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Capo, I heavily respect you, but I have to disagree on one thing.

INFERNAL AFFAIRS was a good movie, well a pretty good one. But that doesn't mean that its excused from a remake. Sure some remakes of "great" movies seem pointless (like Michael Bay's recent intention to remake THE BIRDS for example) but its only fair to judge AFTER the remake has come and went.

Really, I agree that Scorsese's CAPE FEAR remake is superior to the original, and which we were able to judge this AFTER it came out.

Do I think THE DEPARTED will be a winner? Hell yeah. Yet I dug INFERNAL AFFAIRS.

Fact is, this remake is the American "take" on the same story and helmed by a legendary respected master of American cinema.

However, if THE DEPARTED sucks the big one, then I'll agree with you that Scorsese is losing it, but for now and until I'll see this movie, I'll disagree.

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116244
06/22/05 04:59 PM
06/22/05 04:59 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Well, it's like me painting Hopper's Nighthawks and not changing it.

Marty will proabably change it, but I've lost respect for him as an artist. And that's including the Cape Fear remake, which, although superior, needn't have been made.

Mick

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116245
06/22/05 05:19 PM
06/22/05 05:19 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Capo, I think you are being way to drastic. Just because an artist wants to remake something that is good shouldn't make you loose respect. He is mearly going to build upon something that was well-made and try to make it even greater.

In fact, I'm slighly madned by your statement. I still have great respect for this man especially after he's kept up all these years producing excellent films as of late like "The Aviator". This is the man who created a film that inspired you to shave your head and make a mohawk!

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116246
06/22/05 05:25 PM
06/22/05 05:25 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
He's inspired me to make films, he's inspired me to read books and teach myself on film, he's inspired me to buy a military jacket and shave my head.

But his films are simply getting bigger and not beter. Omar's quote gives us hope that he wil return to the good old days of raw filming on the mean streets of New York. But as it is, I only go to see his films because of the director's credit. The Aviator is patchy, Mike, very patchy. Robert Richardson's photography and Dante Ferretti's (as always) glorious production design keep it alive. But utlimately, the length and failed ambition of trying to fit too much into too little (and vice versa!) remains a grounded epic waiting to take off. A pity the director used all his fuel on taxis.

Thanks for reading,
Mick

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116247
06/22/05 06:02 PM
06/22/05 06:02 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Capo, one must remeber raw filmmaking insn't nessecarilly beter film making. "The Aviator" is a contriversial topic, however it is evident that I think you are wrong. I was rivited throughout the entire film.

I agree with you, his films are not getting beter because there is simply no way Marty can top his crowining achivement "Raging Bull" but however, I feel he still creates truly marevelous, entertaining films and he's still bringing his A Game.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116248
06/22/05 08:55 PM
06/22/05 08:55 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
To make me point Capo, you do have a point. I just happen to disagree with you.

Speaking of which, anyone read this over at IMDB.COM?

"Jack Nicholson helped re-write the script for his new movie with legendary director Martin Scorsese, because he felt the sex scenes needed spicing up. Nicholson stars alongside Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio in thriller The Departed, a remake of Hong Kong movie Infernal Affairs, due for release next year. According to reports, the actor wanted to make his character - an Irish-American gangster - a little more like himself, and more of an animal in the bedroom. A source tells the New York Daily News, "Jack didn't feel there was enough Jack in his character. Jack actually did some of the writing himself." The insider adds of the sex scenes, "Jack suggested using a (prosthetic appendage). He also wanted to dust the a** of one of the actresses with cocaine. Marty said, 'Go for it!'" A Warner Bros spokesman adds, "It's not at all uncommon for dialogue to be fine-tuned during production. Everyone is extremely pleased with the way this shoot is proceeding." "

Hilarious...does Jack's character also have ringside season tickets to the L.A. Lakers?

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116249
06/23/05 09:44 AM
06/23/05 09:44 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Hilarious...does Jack's character also have ringside season tickets to the L.A. Lakers?
Na, probably the Celtics or Red Cocks

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116250
06/23/05 04:46 PM
06/23/05 04:46 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
I am actually excited about this... It sounds like a real departure from his other work in the gangster genre (If Goodfellas is the daytime, then I see The Departed as the nighttime). The cast isn't all that shabby either. I'd love to see Jack Nicholson pull off the role of a mob boss; imagine Hoffa only on a larger scale.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116251
06/23/05 04:50 PM
06/23/05 04:50 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'm excited to see Jack in this role too. I wonder if Matt, Leo, Mark & Jack will all have Irish accents or not? Probably not (well Matt & Mark might but probably not Jack or Leo)

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116252
08/09/05 08:44 AM
08/09/05 08:44 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Here\'s pictures from the set of The Departed

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116253
08/09/05 12:00 PM
08/09/05 12:00 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
"Although the media has described the movie as another big-production Hollywood remake of a hit Hong Kong film, Scorsese corrected the reporters by saying: 'It's not a remake. 'It's inspired by Infernal Affairs. Inspired by because of the nature of the informers, but the world William Monahan created is so different from the Hong Kong Film."

I love it when artists try to sidestep their flaws.

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116254
08/09/05 04:09 PM
08/09/05 04:09 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:

I love it when artists try to sidestep their flaws.
What exactly are his flaws during this production?

How am I not myself?
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116255
08/09/05 04:25 PM
08/09/05 04:25 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Whatever, Scorsese's THE DEPARTED is still one of my most anticipated movies of 2006, along with Michael Mann's MIAMI VICE movie.

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116256
08/09/05 04:49 PM
08/09/05 04:49 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Omar, I can't quite shred myself of the notion that Scorsese's remaking a film on the basis of its sudden success over here. It's a common trend that many are turning to, most of all in the Horror recyclings of Ringu, Dark Water, The Grudge etc.

But I don't want to crush his intentions just yet, which I may have already done in my elitist's cynicism. Let's see what Scorsese can conjure up these days; his vision's still there, as he keeps proving with these big budget epics and biopics. But his creative spark is sadly waning in recent years.

Mick

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116257
08/09/05 04:52 PM
08/09/05 04:52 PM
Austin, TX
suspect_5 Offline
Underboss
suspect_5  Offline
Underboss
Austin, TX
On the whole “why remake it” point; I can kind of see a reason. It is a Chinese movie, had a limited release and being in Chinese had a limited audience. It is a great film and by remaking it he is getting it to a larger audience. As much as a few of us would disagree there is a large percentage of at least the American audience that “doesn’t go to the movies to read” and so have not seen it.

Have you seen this Irish? I can’t remember but I think that I made you watch it.

Plus there is all this press about it being a remake. With Marty’s, Jack’s, and Leo’s name all attached you know it will put people in seats. Maybe just maybe someone will see this movie and fall in love with it, and then knowing that it is a remake will seek out the original and overcome the stigma of watching a foreign language film. That is on some level what happened to me, Point of No Return made me seek out Nikita and hearing that all westerns were remakes of The Seven Samurai made me seek that one out now I’ve seen about 5 Kurosawa movies and plan on seeing more, so I don’t see this as a remake specifically being a bad thing. Of course if it sucks, then all statements are withdrawn.

--------------------------------------
This signature has been sanatized for your protection - The Staff
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116258
08/09/05 05:08 PM
08/09/05 05:08 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
But it's the nature of a remake in the first place that gets to me. If we need to see an English language version to see if we might want to catch the original, what is that saying about our outlook on life?

I read a film. By reading a film, I read myself and the lives of those around me and how we lead them. That's what I see by reading a film. If it's subtitled, I read it. If it's English, I read it.

The narrow-mindedness of today's movie-going culture is shameful.

Perhaps I'm wrong here. Perhaps seeing the English remake is like renting a movie before buying it. But attaching these big names to productions in order to get more people to see it is the anti-thesis to art; because it is all about economics and the revenue to be made.

Mick

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116259
08/09/05 06:01 PM
08/09/05 06:01 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by suspect_5:
Have you seen this Irish? I can’t remember but I think that I made you watch it.
Yeah we watched it together and I did like it. Not enough to buy it on DVD but I did enjoy it and I'm very much looking forward to Marty's Departed. It was better than So Close which I was disappointed with (I was hoping/expecting better given the cast)

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116260
08/09/05 07:23 PM
08/09/05 07:23 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Capo, like I've said before, you can't write of Marty for remaking a film. He has that right should he want to do that if he really feels that he can improve upon the original. Then agian, he's not trying to improve upon the original, is he? He's takeing a concept and replacing the parts and making a brand-new working film which will explore new topics and ideas that couldn't be discused in the original.

He's done it before with Cape Fear, although I did really enjoy the original film, and I'm sure he'll doe alright here. After all, I still think he's at the top of his game.

Of course, in the end it's all relative to opinons as is everything else in life.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton

- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116261
08/09/05 07:30 PM
08/09/05 07:30 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Not to mention, Capo my boy, that one bad film does not undo a master filmmaker's career.

I mean lets say that THE DEPARTED is dreck, and who knows, it is possible.

Scorsese would still be a recognized master for his long career of really good and great movies: TAXI DRIVER, RAGING BULL, GOODFELLAS, CASINO, MEAN STREETS, KING OF COMEDY, LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, CAPE FEAR, and so much more.

Most folks at BB.Net know that I haven't exactly cared for most of Steven Spielberg's recent output, but hes still gets my respect for when, to quote Vince Vaughn in a certain movie I reviewed quite recently, he was "money"...back when he made JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, the INDIANA JONES trilogy, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, etc....and especially maybe and arguably the best movie of the 1990s, SCHINDLER'S LIST.

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116262
08/10/05 11:27 AM
08/10/05 11:27 AM
Davis, CA
beatlewho01-02 Offline
Capo
beatlewho01-02  Offline
Capo
Davis, CA
Oh hell, even Scorsese is falling for that f***ing trend of remaking recently made Japanese films! He really must be desperate to win an Oscar, because most of the films winnning the main Oscars are too mediocre anyway.

I'm posting on my blog again-

http://www.blogomonster.com/thesane1
Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116263
08/10/05 12:08 PM
08/10/05 12:08 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Sorry to pinpoint your ignorance, but INFERNAL AFFAIRS was a Hong Kong movie, or in other words....CHINESE.

You know, those group of people in that big mainland that is on the other side of the Sea of Japan from Japan?

Re: new Scorsese film "The Departed" #116264
08/10/05 12:30 PM
08/10/05 12:30 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
Sorry to pinpoint your ignorance, but INFERNAL AFFAIRS was a Hong Kong movie, or in other words....CHINESE.

You know, those group of people in that big mainland that is on the other side of the Sea of Japan from Japan?
I'm pretty sure just saying "Movie A was actually Chinese not Japanese" would have been more appropriate.

Why the need for the personal attack?

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull