GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BarrettM, Mafia101, 1 invisible), 318 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,989
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,138
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
george hamilton #15923
07/03/04 12:57 PM
07/03/04 12:57 PM
michigan
neo8601 Offline OP
Associate
neo8601  Offline OP
Associate
michigan
where exactly did george hamilton's character come from in godfather iii?? he seemed "similar" to a consiglieri, but he did have the presence of duvall. he was basically a lawyer, but i just wondered if anyone knew where he came from

"It's all mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter!" - John Gotti
Re: george hamilton #15924
07/03/04 12:58 PM
07/03/04 12:58 PM
michigan
neo8601 Offline OP
Associate
neo8601  Offline OP
Associate
michigan
sorry i meant that he did NOT have the presence of duvall

"It's all mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter!" - John Gotti
Re: george hamilton #15925
07/03/04 01:33 PM
07/03/04 01:33 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
IMO he came from Coppola's imagination at the last minute because he was too cheap to sign Duvall for Part III.

BTW - You can edit your own posts (ie. add a word or change something) by simply hitting the edit icon ( [Linked Image] ) found above the text box. That'll take you back to your original post, and you can then make the change.

Re: george hamilton #15926
07/03/04 02:47 PM
07/03/04 02:47 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
BJ Harrison, I don't think, was intended to be a consigliere as Tom Hagen had been. He is only a business lawyer. His lines are simply throwaway scene filler.

He is a wasted character. He says nothing, he does nothing, that sigificantly adds to the film. That's the great thing about GF I and II - there are no wasted characters.

The loss of Hagen IMO led, in a chain reaction, to most of the other problems of GF IV. The entire script had to be rewritten in a hurry, and the power-struggle/test of loyalty between Michael and Tom Hagen, which was, I am convinced, intended to be the main theme of the movie, completely written out and replaced by the hurriedly-slapped-together Vatican/Immobilaire story line.

I think if worse came to worse, FFC should have simply recast the role of Tom Hagen if he couldn't get Duvall to do it.

The loss of "Tom Hagen" the character completely disrupted the story line. To me it was more important to the movie that "Tom Hagen" be in it than it was for Robert Duvall to be in it. (Which is not for a minute to downplay Duvall's performances in GF I and II.)

I think Michael Moriarty (shown here from Law & Order) could have played Tom Hagen instead.

[Linked Image]

"You did good."
Re: george hamilton #15927
07/03/04 09:39 PM
07/03/04 09:39 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
He was way out of his league being in that movie. He was a waste of film space. I think he was a last minute Tom-filler, whay Hamilton was cast is beyond me. mad

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: george hamilton #15928
07/03/04 09:53 PM
07/03/04 09:53 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
I believe trilogies become successful by using references from the previous movies. The Godfather III had a good reference by relating the character Vincent Mancini (the Illegitimate son of Sonny Corleone, for all of you who dont know) to his father. But as for the part of George Hamilton they should have elaborated more on his part and explained where he came from. He had been a long time since the second one so I would understand why they didnt.

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: george hamilton #15929
07/03/04 10:03 PM
07/03/04 10:03 PM
Sicily, NYC
Santino Felice Offline
Made Member
Santino Felice  Offline
Made Member
Sicily, NYC
ALSO, the Godfather III should have talked more about the loss of the great and loyal Consiglieri Tom Hagen. Having his son become a priest was a good choice, but by doing that they should have had a back up role of Consiglieri. But then again by this time Michael lossed so many and wanted to get out he justed had George Hamilton play his lawyer. [I believe other than Vincent Mancini (who had a "temper like his father"), Al Neri is Michael's right hand and should have been Consiglieri]
"Ugh -- just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" Michael in the Godfather III

"Well you just do what I tell you to do! Goddamn it! If I had a wartime consiglieri -- a
Sicilian -- I wouldn't be in this shape! Pop had Genco -- look what I got." - Sonny Corleone
Re: george hamilton #15930
07/04/04 02:46 AM
07/04/04 02:46 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by Santino Felice:
ALSO, the Godfather III should have talked more about the loss of the great and loyal Consiglieri Tom Hagen. Having his son become a priest was a good choice, but by doing that they should have had a back up role of Consiglieri. But then again by this time Michael lossed so many and wanted to get out he justed had George Hamilton play his lawyer. [I believe other than Vincent Mancini (who had a "temper like his father"), Al Neri is Michael's right hand and should have been Consiglieri]
"Ugh -- just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" Michael in the Godfather III
It's pretty clear that by the time of GF III, the person who is in fact acting as consigliere is Connie Corleone. eek

"You did good."
Re: george hamilton #15931
07/04/04 04:04 AM
07/04/04 04:04 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Santino Felice:
...the Godfather III should have talked more about the loss of the great and loyal Consiglieri Tom Hagen. Having his son become a priest was a good choice, but by doing that they should have had a back up role of Consiglieri.
FFC and MP are great at leaving loose ends that will never be tied. The death of Clemenza, Tom Hagen, certain un answered aspects of the movie such as the drapes issue in GF II. These points are inconsequential for the plots of the movie, but they add spice to the trilogy and fire up our imagination. The bottomline is I hate movies that are spelt out for you and life is seldom like that, so I'm glad an intelligent director like FFC has decided to use his brain while making a movie.

Re: george hamilton #15932
07/04/04 06:53 AM
07/04/04 06:53 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I wonder if all of the ends were intentionally left loose, or if it was simply carelessness.

Surely MP and FFC never dreamed there would be a forum with people like us picking the films apart the way in which we do.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: george hamilton #15933
07/04/04 07:21 AM
07/04/04 07:21 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by UnderBoss:
FFC and MP are great at leaving loose ends that will never be tied. The death of Clemenza, Tom Hagen.....
Buffalo Bagels on FFC!!

The only thing FFC was great at (using these two examples) was showing his arrogance - (FFC): You don't agree to my terms (salary, etc.) to appear in a sequel, you get written off in a very vague manner to show you weren't important to the story. You dare to cross me, I'll show you!

I do, however, agree that tying up other loose ends in the movies is unnecessary.

Re: george hamilton #15934
07/04/04 08:17 AM
07/04/04 08:17 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
A loose end (not looking to start up the whole discussion about it again, though) which absolutely needed tying up IMO was who killed assassins in Part II.

It's way more than just a loose end. I consider it a major flaw in the plot.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: george hamilton #15935
07/04/04 08:24 AM
07/04/04 08:24 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by plawrence:
Its my belief that Part II was rushed too much (to make). Still, its one of the best movies ever made.

Re: george hamilton #15936
07/04/04 08:26 AM
07/04/04 08:26 AM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Originally posted by plawrence:
A loose end (not looking to start up the whole discussion about it again, though) which absolutely needed tying up IMO was who killed assassins in Part II.

The guard dog's ate them.

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: george hamilton #15937
07/04/04 08:40 AM
07/04/04 08:40 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
It was Fredo's men.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: george hamilton #15938
07/04/04 12:42 PM
07/04/04 12:42 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by neo8601:
where exactly did george hamilton's character come from in godfather iii?? he seemed "similar" to a consiglieri, but he did have the presence of duvall. he was basically a lawyer, but i just wondered if anyone knew where he came from
I always thought the Hamilton was used to give a modern look to the film. Hamilton has always been cast as slick dressing and acting type of character, thus his character lent an air of respectability to the Corleone family.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: george hamilton #15939
07/05/04 01:31 AM
07/05/04 01:31 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by SC:
The only thing FFC was great at (using these two examples) was showing his arrogance - (FFC): You don't agree to my terms (salary, etc.) to appear in a sequel, you get written off in a very vague manner to show you weren't important to the story. You dare to cross me, I'll show you!

I do, however, agree that tying up other loose ends in the movies is unnecessary.
I agree totally, well he learned, GF III suffered a big loss from what it could have been from the lose of Robert Duvall which was completly a budget thing. I mean I'm sure he could have gotten another 3 actors in on GF III for the salary Robert Duvall was demanding. Live and learn I guess. Hey it's ironic that Arrogance is a theme in the GF, FFC should have listen to his own advice. tongue

Also I agree with you SC, GF II was rushed in the making and it's lucky that FFC had the clout from GF to push for the longer time. GF III I feel suffered from a similar problem, but where GF II suffered from too much to say and too little studio time, GF III suffered from too much of a complex plot and too many themes to fully elaborate upon, which I feel are slight weaknesses of the film due to the 3 hour time limit that was alotted.

Re: george hamilton #15940
07/06/04 12:40 PM
07/06/04 12:40 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Man, I'd love to sit FFC down and talk to him about what part III was to be about before Duvall was out. This is really starting to intrigue me.

Maybe Geoff can make an open invitationt to FFC's people.... eek

And then I'd like to go back in time and make the movie with Duvall in the movie.

But of course I'd want to keep the version that was made too... grin

----------------------------------------------------

However, Harrison could have worked. Pentangeli's character flourished in Part II, the same could have happened in Part III. Who knows, Harrison could have been fleshed out and been against the family and then Michael could have been like "Tom would have never done this to me... and I pushed him away..." Another scene of regret when he talks to the cardinal.

Harrison was a lazy character bringing nothing with him. It could have worked, even without Duvall.

Re: george hamilton #15941
07/07/04 11:01 AM
07/07/04 11:01 AM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
And then I'd like to go back in time and make the movie with Duvall in the movie.
You never know, you could go back in time, and wehen you get back to the present, it might rain dounuts, or you might live in a pyramid. tongue

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: george hamilton #15942
07/07/04 04:56 PM
07/07/04 04:56 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
I think Hamilton was good for the part. But the name? I find it hard to believe Michael Corleone would hire a man named "BJ" to handle his hundreds of millions of dollars.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: george hamilton #15943
07/08/04 01:06 AM
07/08/04 01:06 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo

However, Harrison could have worked. Pentangeli's character flourished in Part II, the same could have happened in Part III. Who knows, Harrison could have been fleshed out and been against the family and then Michael could have been like "Tom would have never done this to me... and I pushed him away..." Another scene of regret when he talks to the cardinal.[/QB]
Well, maybe, but in order to make Harrison a character anybody cared about, there would have to have been some script time invested in some kind of back story explaining how he rose to a trusted position in the family.

Otherwise, the character is just what he ended up being: just kind of a smiling face standing there. Can Michael trust him? Who knows, who cares?

The GF III plot was convoluted enough, with the kitchen-sink approach to the Vatican-Immobliare story line, I can't see they could have spent a half-hour MORE screen time setting up why we should care about B.J.Harrison.

I still betcha the original concepts for GF III were mainly centered on Michael and Tom's clashing ideas of how to move the Corleone family into legit business - and ultimate pressures on Tom by both the feds and other families, to finally roll over on Mike.

"You did good."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull