GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mustachepete, Toodoped), 407 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,098
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Can't Kay back up? #15562
06/28/04 07:51 AM
06/28/04 07:51 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
While watching a few minutes of Spike TV's GF2...Kay tries to leave the Tahoe compound with the kids. She's driving a big Buick (?) but is stopped at the gate and Tom explains that she can't leave. Instead of backing up and driving back to the house, she takes the kids out of the car and walks. We're not shown where she is going our how far the house is, but couldn't she back up, turn around and drive back to the house? Just one of those silly things that don't make sense.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15563
06/28/04 08:01 AM
06/28/04 08:01 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Michael, after his experiences with teaching Appolonia how to drive, gave up teaching his wife how to drive. Sadly, Kay never learned how to back up.

grin

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15564
06/28/04 08:31 AM
06/28/04 08:31 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by MaryCas:
...couldn't she back up, turn around and drive back to the house? ...
Why should she? Already pissed off at being held prisoner in her own home, and knowing the car will be taken care of by 'da guys'...makes perfect sense that Kay would get the kids out of the car and walk back to the house in a huff.

Or, as SC says...maybe she just never learned how to back up.

Just one of those silly things that makes PERFECT sense, if you just think about it for five seconds.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15565
06/28/04 09:51 AM
06/28/04 09:51 AM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I argree with Apple that it makes sense. Even still that scene always annoyed me. It made me think Kay was a spoiled brat. First she starts argueing with Tom over her safety next she just leaves the car there for the other guys to take care of.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15566
06/28/04 10:09 AM
06/28/04 10:09 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Krlea:
...she just leaves the car there for the other guys to take care of.
That's what they're there for.

She's just been told (twice) that they'd go out & bring back anything she needs. Since they wre not to allow her & the children out of the safety of 'the compound', then they can certainly move the car as well.

Remember Tom admits he never had the chance to talk to her about this virtual 'house arrest'. The first she heard of it was when she actually tried to leave to simply go shopping.

You'd probably act like a 'spoiled brat', too.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15567
06/28/04 11:33 AM
06/28/04 11:33 AM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Sure they can move the car, just as easily as she could move it herself. She left the car in a hissy fit not a "Will you please move the car back for me so I can take care of the kids?" Just as a person would be nice to anyone doing a service (even if they are being paid) she could have shown a tiny bit of appreciation or understanding at the circumstances.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15568
06/28/04 12:17 PM
06/28/04 12:17 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...she could have shown a tiny bit of appreciation or understanding at the circumstances.
Why?

All agree she's pretty pissed off at this point, now allowed to leave her own home, and though these guys are only doing their job I can't envision any 'appreciation or understanding' from Kay's end...even toward Tom.

She knows the business she's married into...even asks the guy at the gate, 'Whose orders are these?'. She knows the car is going to be moved, more than that, she probably doesn't care by now whether it's moved or blown up.

She's angry & disgusted. She's the wife of Don Corleone. Why on earth should she be expected to either: 1) move the car, or 2) 'politely' ask the guards to do it.

Let's get real.

rolleyes

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15569
06/28/04 12:22 PM
06/28/04 12:22 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by MaryCas:
While watching a few minutes of Spike TV's GF2...Kay tries to leave the Tahoe compound with the kids. She's driving a big Buick (?) but is stopped at the gate and Tom explains that she can't leave. Instead of backing up and driving back to the house, she takes the kids out of the car and walks. We're not shown where she is going our how far the house is, but couldn't she back up, turn around and drive back to the house? Just one of those silly things that don't make sense.
Anyone that has ever had any experience with women, knows she is just acting like any woman when she don't get her own way. grin

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15570
06/28/04 12:39 PM
06/28/04 12:39 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

She's angry & disgusted. She's the wife of Don Corleone. Why on earth should she be expected to either: 1) move the car, or 2) 'politely' ask the guards to do it.

Let's get real.

rolleyes

Apple
That's exactly why I think she's a brat. She's disgusted at the system she married into. My pity for Kay ended when she took back a man who dissapeared and married another woman. Anyway it's just my opinion on a single scene, nothing to debate all day.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15571
06/28/04 12:50 PM
06/28/04 12:50 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...My pity for Kay ended when she took back a man who dissapeared and married another woman....
Now THERE's something worth debating all day!
Must admit I never considered this topic to be about 'pity'...but simply logic.

Listen, you share your opinion then be ready for responses, whether in agreement or disagreement.

Best,
AppleOnYa

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15572
06/28/04 01:21 PM
06/28/04 01:21 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
She always suspected Michael was at least implicated in the Solozzo/McCluskey slaying, wrongfully accused of course and that's why he had to leave. And as for Apollonia, I doubt he told her anything. Mike only tells people what he wants them to know and I doubt, at least in GF I, that he would have stood much of a chance if he told her he married a woman in Sicily and only came to her cus she died. Besides a guy who wanted his original woman back would have glazed over that part as it happened literally a world away and wasn't really ever going to be made known to her.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15573
06/28/04 02:02 PM
06/28/04 02:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I think FFC was trying to reinforce the point that Kay was, figuratively, under house arrest. By having "Joe" move the car, he was, in effect, "grounding" Kay--taking away the means for her to have the freedom represented by a car. The kids are prisoners, too--after all, as we learn later, they'e "Michael's" kids.
The car was a '57 Buick Special wagon. This is another masterful example of attention to detail on FFC's part. That Buick was plenty big enough to haul around Kay, the kids, or whatever else she was carrying. But it was also unostentatious: The Special was the low-priced Buick line (note the cheap plastic interior). It's precisely what a nice, New England WASP like Kay would drive: nothing too ostentatious, not like a Cad that those showy ethnic-types parade around with. Speaking of which: when Michael returns to the compound from Cuba, he's driven in a '58 Chrysler Imperial Crown Ghia, handmade in Turin Italy by Carozzera Ghia Sp.A, at $13,000, the second-most-expensive American car of that year.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15574
06/28/04 03:07 PM
06/28/04 03:07 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b] [QUOTE]...My pity for Kay ended when she took back a man who dissapeared and married another woman....
Now THERE's something worth debating all day!
Must admit I never considered this topic to be about 'pity'...but simply logic.

Listen, you share your opinion then be ready for responses, whether in agreement or disagreement.

Best,
AppleOnYa [/b]
Where did I say I wasn't ready for responses? I mentioned that it was my opinion and that it wasn't worth debating, sure, but that is not the same thing.

As far as not considering the topic to be about pity, but simply logic...I agreed with you in my first post. Leaving the car did make sense. I chose to elaborate on the simple logic.

Turnbull~ The info about the cars is very interesting. I swear I learn something new on here everytime I log on.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15575
06/28/04 03:18 PM
06/28/04 03:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Turnbull~ The info about the cars is very interesting. I swear I learn something new on here everytime I log on.
Krlea, FFC's selection of cars for GF and II are among the best examples of his brilliance--every single one of them is absolutely right, and reflects that fanatical attention to detail. This is especially true in GFII.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15576
06/28/04 03:20 PM
06/28/04 03:20 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]... Leaving the car did make sense. I chose to elaborate on the simple logic...
By surmizing that doing the logical thing (leaving the car for others to move)...made Kay a 'spoiled brat'.

By suggesting that she could've shown 'appreciation and understanding', by nicely asking the guards to move the car for her.

Well, 'elaborate' sure is the right word!!!

Glad we can agree though, on the predominant point...that leaving the car did make sense.

Yeesh.

AppleOnYa

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15577
06/28/04 03:50 PM
06/28/04 03:50 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline
Made Member
Rhode Island
But why go through all of the trouble of walking. If she is suh a spoiled brat, ehy not just use the car so she get to the house easier and faster.

The scene still makes no scence.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15578
06/28/04 04:28 PM
06/28/04 04:28 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
When I say it was the logical thing for her to leave the car, I meant it was the logical thing for FFC to have her do. Of course it would be easy for her to just get back in the car and take it back to the house, but she chooses to inconvienance (as small as it may be) someone else because she is ticked at her husband, which to me, is a sign of being a brat. Kay's a nice person. She thinks her husband is taking advantage of her and she can't take it out on him so she throws a fit and takes it out on others. Is stomping off and leaving her car there bratty? heck yea.

"Yeesh" right back at you tongue lol

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15579
06/28/04 04:42 PM
06/28/04 04:42 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...She thinks her husband is taking advantage of her and she can't take it out on him so she throws a fit and takes it out on others. Is stomping off and leaving her car there bratty? heck yea.

Actually she's not simply mad at her absent husband but infuriated with the whole situation. This had been brewing up since Anthony's First Communion party and the shooting that same night. Even before the shooting it was obvious she had not been happy for a while. This not being allowed to leave her own home, for her own protection business was the straw that broke the camel's back. It is shortly after this that she probably decides to abort the child she's carrying. She's had enough.

Incidentally, if you think about it for just a moment...it's probably WAY easier to grab the kids & walk it off than to get back in the car, turn the key, shift into reverse and back all the way up the winding driveway, which probably isn't a short one at that. She had alot of steam to let off.

It was not only the 'logical' thing for FFC to have her do...it was the logical (not 'bratty') thing for HER to do.

And I don't think it was an 'inconvenience' for the guards to have to move the car. It's part of their job, what they get paid - very well - for. Same as not letting Kay through the gate. They're following orders.

rolleyes

Apple

ps - Anybody who happens to agree that Kay in this scene is a 'brat'...please let me know how you think you might act if your bedroom had been shot into while you were lying in your bed, and then shortly after that you found out you and your children were unable to leave your own home at will. Would you nicely ask the fellow at the gate to please bring the car back to the garage, or would you storm off in frustration at the whole big mess you've gotten yourself into?

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15580
06/28/04 05:11 PM
06/28/04 05:11 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
I could've sworn you saw the house just about 10 feet away...

We're just lucky it wasnt that time of the month, or she would have ripped the flesh off her face to reveal oprah winfrey, I mean satan, gotten into her station wagon (beautiful woodwork may I add) and ravaged around the estate yelling "YO MUTHA FUCKAS I GETTIN OUT OF THIS BIZATCH!".

Then again if you really want to see that I highly suggest renting "Friday" starring Ice-T, or Liquid Ice, or Solid Water, or which ever ghetto actor is in that.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15581
06/28/04 05:24 PM
06/28/04 05:24 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
long_lost~ ha ha ha lol Friday and Next Friday were just on yesterday.

Apple~ If my husband was just shot at I certainly would be listening to his advice wholeheartedly and would never be taking our children out to go to the store. I woulden't even let them out of the house. Her getting ticked shows me that she does not understand the reality of the circumstance.

To sum it up we both have different definitions of bratty behavior. I stand by my opinion that Kay is an annoying brat in that specific scene.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15582
06/28/04 05:32 PM
06/28/04 05:32 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
long_lost~ ha ha ha lol Friday and Next Friday were just on yesterday.
Yeah I was watching it actually tongue . I particularlly enjoyed the dubbing on every 8/10 words coming from Chris Tucker (well it was some ennoyingly high pitched overly stereotyped african american voice, I just took a guess) to reach daylight.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Can't Kay back up? #15583
06/28/04 08:33 PM
06/28/04 08:33 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Similar to present day, in the late 50's and 60's, girls were not able to satisfactorily drive automobiles in the forward direction, let alone in reverse. lol tongue (j/k)

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15584
06/28/04 10:25 PM
06/28/04 10:25 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
AppleOnYa, if she's such a spoiled brat then why do you have her picture up on your display?

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15585
06/28/04 10:37 PM
06/28/04 10:37 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Very funny Double-J.

Underboss~ Apple doesn't think she's a spoiled brat, I do. Just in that scene I have to add before it gets to be an even bigger debate. In all I think Kay's a nice person, she just threw a tiny hissy fit right then.

Who would have thought "Can't Kay back up?" would get so many posts. grin

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15586
06/28/04 11:07 PM
06/28/04 11:07 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Sorry AppleOnYa.

But wouldn't you be pissed if you were trapped in your house by your absent husband who just took off in the middle of the night after almost getting you killed and putting your family in danger and has all his buddies with guns to exercise this power?

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15587
06/28/04 11:32 PM
06/28/04 11:32 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Well, yeah but I'd also be thankful those men were there to protect me in the first place. If they weren't they'd probably both be dead.

If your going to marry someone, then you need to support them, not question every decision they make. Sure it was just a tiny scene, but that one scene showed Kay's impatience and frustration with Michael. My spoiled assessment came from Kay never being supportive of Michael. Sure he had a terrible job but it's not what he wanted either.

I'm not saying Kay is a horrible person. I do however believe it made a huge difference in the happiness of Michael's life that Kay was always naggy instead of staying out of the business like Mama Corleone. They were in an unfortunate position and instead of helping Michael she did the opposite.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15588
06/29/04 01:00 AM
06/29/04 01:00 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Yes, but wouldn't those men not need to be there in the first place if Michael had become a successful businessman or what-not, he was definatly capable of something lke that and not Mafia Don?

And isn't Kay's ultimate concern for her family's safety ultimatly justified in GF III when Mary dies, due the involvements and dealings of Michael?

And your telling me that she should just support him killing people and robbing people and generally making people suffer. I mean would you be supportive of a husband who made his money on crime at other people's expense and was a killer and who put your life and lives of your children in harm's way and who ultimatly forced you to be a prisoner in your own house because he lacks the iniative or the will to make a change that will ultimatly result in a far greater level of happiness and safety for you and your family, the same change of character and of occupation he promised years and years ago?

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15589
06/29/04 07:58 AM
06/29/04 07:58 AM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I don't think Kay wasn't trying to keep her family safe, just the opposite, but the whole point of them staying on the compound was for their safety.

As far as "support him killing people," Was this news to Kay after they got married? No. None of it should have been a surprise. Michael gave her every avenue out of that relationship (more so in the book, but that is another topic) and she decided to stay anyway. Did she actually believe she could change the whole family?

As much as I hated the fact that Kay left Michael, it was the first time she quit blaming him and realized that it was also her fault.

Anyway this is very off topic. I'll be at work all day so I won't get to reply. It's been very interesting, but also this topics been running around in circles so I think it's run it's course anyway.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15590
06/29/04 08:04 AM
06/29/04 08:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by UnderBoss:
I mean would you be supportive of a husband who made his money on crime at other people's expense and was a killer and who put your life and lives of your children in harm's way ... ?
Mama Corleone was.

The last three posts in this thread (which has turned out to be one of the better discussions of the movie in a long time) have touched on the crux of Part II (the changing times and the "Americanization" of family values).

I don't expect that there is a right or wrong answer here. Is the old school way of quietly supporting your husband and accepting his destiny better than putting your own desires on top better? Is it better to accept your station in life and have confidence in your husband's position, or is it better to speak out against that whole "Sicilian thing that has been going on for 2,000 years"?

The answer is a personal choice.

Re: Can't Kay back up? #15591
06/29/04 10:29 AM
06/29/04 10:29 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by UnderBoss:
AppleOnYa, if she's such a spoiled brat then why do you have her picture up on your display?
Hi, UnderBoss...as Krlea has pointed out it is not I who ever thought of Kay as a spoiled brat! I'll let the rest of you handle this thread as it's clear she (at least I *think* 'she') is all over the place defending her points.

The reason for my Kay avatar is a poke & nod to plawrence...who commented in another thread that, "I liked you better when you were Kay", (which by the way, I never was).

Anyway, it's temporary and only for plaw!!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull