GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, British), 379 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,096
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15516
06/27/04 05:33 PM
06/27/04 05:33 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline OP
XDCX  Offline OP
X

California
Do you think Vito knew that it would probably either be Clemenza or Tessio that would betray Michael? Mike had a pretty good idea it would be Tessio, and Tom said he always thought it would have been Clemenza, so I doubt this would get past the Don's eyes. And if so, then that should go to show that as good a man as Vito was, he was willing to have one or both of his best, most valuable friends killed. Vito mentioned it over and over again during the garden scene, "The man who comes to you with the Barzini meeting, that's the traitor, don't forget that." If the Don knew that it would probably be one of his caporegimes, he was basically giving Michael is blessing to kill whichever one of em it was, which goes to show that Vito was just as cold and calculating as the next guy. Thoughts??

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15517
06/27/04 06:23 PM
06/27/04 06:23 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I don't think Vito suspected anybody explicitly, he knew that only a handful of people would have been able to come up to him directly with the request; but any number of people lower in the organization, for that matter, could have requested the message delivered to him in person, so it could have been anybody, as the incident with Paulie Gatto proved earlier in the movie. By your logic this would place greater emphasis on Al Neri, Rocco Lampone as being the most likely person to betray Michael. Vito and Michael were very logical and I know that they all things being equal nobody would be able to be ruled out in Vito’s or Michael’s minds, but in terms of historic data, less emphasis would have been placed on Clemenza and Tessio due to their track records.

The logic behind Vito's statement is the person who comes to has had prior contact with Barzini, who is still scum. This prior contact is indicative of betrayal, Barzini, is power hungry and a conniver and the uses people to do his bidding. The person who comes to him will have his hand in the pot and have a hand in the betrayal, by doing Barzini’s bidding for a pay off. Nobody within the organization in other words would have enough interest in and of themselves to become peace makers, if they come as peace makers they are wolves in sheep skin.

As for Tom's comment, He thought it would have been Clemenza (out of the 2 capos, he means). To Tom Clemenza seemed more likely to betray the family than Tessio. This comment just allowed the viewer to get more of a sense of the distinction between the two Capos. Clemenza, although not as cunning, was still more loyal. As for Tessio, he was smarter, and this logic is what made him attempt to betray Michael was more of a "business" move (although the term business is a euphemism, used by mobsters to make hard decisions, like murder easier and even justifiable).

Second of all no matter how noble and honorable Vito was, he still played the Mafia game, he wasn’t a good person, although he does nothing we directly disapprove of in the movie, he is a criminal, maybe not a psychotic killer and drug dealer, but still a killer, a thief, and extortionist, etc. The code of the Cosa Nostra is clear, whoever betrays you in the organization he goes. From a personal standpoint if my old friend is going to betray my son, fuck ya, I’m gonna whack him before he whacks my son.

Re: Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15518
06/27/04 08:41 PM
06/27/04 08:41 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It seems to me that Michael, having experienced his wife's murder in an attack intended for him, was very secretive and held his plans close. Thus the number of people whom Vito could have suspected was very small because not that many were close enough to Michael to know of his plans. If Vito really, strongly suspected someone, he'd have told Michael. But he couldn't be sure, so he tipped Michael to circumstance: "Whoever comes to you with this Barzini deal, he's the traitor."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15519
06/28/04 03:57 PM
06/28/04 03:57 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline
Made Member
Rhode Island
I don't think Vito was all that cold harded. I mean, it was either Tessio dies or his son dies. Which one whould you want dead first? And especially with Vito-family always came first.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel
Re: Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15520
06/28/04 04:31 PM
06/28/04 04:31 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
Vito's value was that family came first before all the wealth and power, even before friendship. Also, when Tessio betrayed the fmaily, he was no longer considered a part of the family as a friend and as a man you can trust. Tessio betrayed Vito's trust and deserved his death as his loyalty changed.

Re: Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15521
06/28/04 05:26 PM
06/28/04 05:26 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
This goes back to the "mafia isn't that bad" thread.

Tessio made a decision that was best for him. He saw that the Corleone family was losing power with Vito dead and switched sides. Granted he was setting up Michael to be killed, but in the mafia death is like getting fired.

Tessio just made the best move for himself and either way death was imminent.

In the business world you find a new job when things go bad at your employer.

That's why the mafia is bad.

Re: Do you think Vito knew.....?? #15522
06/29/04 07:18 PM
06/29/04 07:18 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Vito knew it would be someone very close to Michael, but I dont think he had a specific person in mind, Thats why he kept advising Mike on which precautions to take.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull