GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 60 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,820
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
clemenza vs. pantangelli #15254
06/21/04 07:25 PM
06/21/04 07:25 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
before i joined this site, i had no idea why clemenza didn't return for the sequel or that pentangelli was basically a replacement. after discovering this it kind of got me thinking about the spin it puts on gfII. i don't know how others feel about pantangelli's role in gfII, but i am kinda glad in a way that clemenza's character didn't return. don't get me wrong, clemenza's was one of my favorites from the original and most of the people on this site seem to feel this way. if clemenza would have performed the actions of pentangelli in gfII, there's no way he would be as well liked as he is. i would guess that most people liked the character of clemenza over tessio due to tessio's betrayal. and at that point, all we knew about tessio was that he and clemenza were vito's right-hand men so it really wasn't a huge shock when he betrayed michael. after seeing the backstory of vito and clemenza plus the interaction that clemenza has with mike (i.e. teaching him to cook) would have made one of the most memorable characters in the trilogy into a villian. not to mention the fact that gazzo was absolutely perfect for the role of pentangelli. gfII would still have been a great movie with clemenza instead of pentangelli, but i think it was actually kind of a blessing in disguise that clemenza held out. just wondering what you guys (and girls!) think about this. as someone who has seen the movies over and over before ever knowing about the behind the scenes story, it kind of puts a unique spin on the second godfather movie that i never even realized. that's what is so great about this site.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15255
06/21/04 07:33 PM
06/21/04 07:33 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline OP
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline OP
Underboss
i also wanted to say, that even though pentangelli does redeem himself in the end at michael's request, i'm not so sure we would have been so forgiving if it was clemenza. we knew nothing about pentangelli before the movie so when he turned on michael (albeit for a good reason considering he thought michael tried to kill him) we had no reason to wonder why. i think if it was clemenza, knowing what we did about his character, the betrayal would have been that much greater and, therefore, we as fans probably wouldn't be as quick to forgive.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15256
06/22/04 03:54 AM
06/22/04 03:54 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
There has been some discussion of this on this site and from what I observed most members echo your sentiment about Pentangeli. He was a larger than life personality in the movie and injected a sorta endearingness to the film, in spit of it's dark themes and lighting.

I think it's unfortunate he died, he was lead into beleiving that Michael wanted him dead, deader than a door knob. I don't think under any other reasonable circumstances he would have betrayed the family. He didn't go through with the task, but in the world of the Cosa Nostra and under the conditions he was living it is understandable that he was given an opportunity to commit Seppuku (Hari-kiri).

Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15257
06/22/04 10:14 AM
06/22/04 10:14 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
JB, very interesting points. But at the same time, if it were Clemenza, it would have just added to the steeliness that Michael embodied in Part II.

I am glad that Clemenza died loyal to the family, but at the same time, it would have added another dimension to Michael, who would stop at nothing to flush his enemies down the drain - no matter who they were.

Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15258
06/22/04 09:47 PM
06/22/04 09:47 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
If Clemenza was in GFII, would he have had the same part as Pentanglis? In other words would his character been the same. I just can't see Clemenza ever being disloyal to Mike and the family.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15259
06/22/04 10:52 PM
06/22/04 10:52 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Clemenza probibly would have done the same if his ball were in a vise like Pentangeli's were. Pentangeli only initially gave some info because he thought Mike wanted him dead for an unjust reason. Clemenza probibly would have probibly have done the same actions, him and Tessio were ready to leave the family after Vito retired. Clemenza's beleif in Michael's abilities are a point of conjection cus we know little of what happened after GF I to Clemenza.

Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15260
06/23/04 03:49 PM
06/23/04 03:49 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by UnderBoss:
Clemenza's beleif in Michael's abilities are a point of conjection cus we know little of what happened after GF I to Clemenza.
Orignally yes, but once Don Vito assured him to trust Michael, Clemenza, being the good soldier, trusted Mike. Don't forget the bonding scene in Clemenza's basement when he gave Mike shooting lessons. Unlike Tessio, I think Clemenza really liked Michael.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: clemenza vs. pantangelli #15261
06/24/04 05:07 AM
06/24/04 05:07 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Good point and by extension, in the scene where Clemenza and Tessio ask to abdicate from the family in the Don's study, after Michael takes power and Vito is still alive, Clemenza may be buying into Tessio's arguement of Michael's short comings.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull