GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 227 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,603
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Favorite Funny Bit #3629
06/01/03 05:42 PM
06/01/03 05:42 PM
Berlin, Germany
consiGliera Offline OP
Made Member
consiGliera  Offline OP
Made Member
Berlin, Germany
Hello, I´m one of those annoying newbies who start new threads RIGHT the minute they joined...but I´ve been a reader for some time and I couldn´t resist. Forgive me, will you?

So, my topic.

I know that most of us love the Godfather for brilliant character development, memorable scenes of love, hate, betrayal and backroom meetings, and the portrayal of a fascinating family, but not in first place for the straight FUN of it.
But I hope you agree with me that there IS al lot of humour in both the book and the movie, that makes them even more enjoyable.
My question would be, which is your favourite funny bit, quote or event throughout the Godfather decades? Or maybe even things that are not meant to be funny, but somehow crack you up?

I´ll start: one of my favourite funny scenes from the movies is in GFII when Frankie tries to make the band on Mike´s posh party play a tarantella and they wind up with "Pop Goes The Weasel". On one hand it´s just fun to watch, for the actor is very enganging in that scene, on the other hand it´s very witty, for it serves the whole old school versus new ways thing.

Your would be...?

"i understand you have to deal with a lot of people who try to seem more important than they are. In my case the reverse is true." -Tom Hagen
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3630
06/01/03 05:44 PM
06/01/03 05:44 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Welcome to the board. Good topic, and great choice. Frankie is a funny character all around. I like when Clemenza tells Michael, "tell that girl you love her with all a your heart." Just seemed out of character for him.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3631
06/01/03 06:16 PM
06/01/03 06:16 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

My fav- "Leave the gun...take the cannolis." grin

Also the Frankie/Pop Goes the Weasel is good too. wink

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3632
06/01/03 06:35 PM
06/01/03 06:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, and thanks for reminding everyone that humor is part of the GF Trilogy.
In addition to the scenes already cited, I liked how Sr. Roberto practically s*** himself in Vito's office while returning the money Vito gave him on behalf of Sra. Columbo. Probably the wittiest line: Sonny telling Tessio and Clemenza: "I don't want my brother comin' outta that toilet with just his dick in his hand."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3633
06/01/03 08:57 PM
06/01/03 08:57 PM
Tunis/Alcamo/NYC
RosarioAlaia Offline
Wiseguy
RosarioAlaia  Offline
Wiseguy
Tunis/Alcamo/NYC
Benvenutu Consigliera,

That scene that you are describing really is supposed to show you how far removed sicilian culture was at that time and how WASP-y Nevada was. I think Frankie states "a room full of musicians and not one italian amongst ya".

I love the scene where Santino makes a jest out of Michele's offer to kill Sollozzo and the police chief. "You come outta there and bam! shoot his brains out over your nice Ivy League Suit!" or something like this.

Like the heart of a lion (Corleone) the warrior dies alone.
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3634
06/01/03 09:47 PM
06/01/03 09:47 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I believe instead of "bam," its the popular "badabing!" grin

Also funny is on the bonus DVD where they rearrange the words and add foreign ones (i.e. the Sonny/"bada-beep, bada-booop"). You can get to it via the options/languages/subtitles menu I believe. Click towards the right on your controller, and a globe should appear. Hit enter/play, and this video should appear.

(I'm sure its in the "DVD easter eggs" thread wink )

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3635
06/02/03 07:51 AM
06/02/03 07:51 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
In a recent thread regarding GF3 shortcomings, I cited the lack of humor and humorous characters. GF had Clemenza (GF2, young Clemenza) and GF2 had Pentagelli. These characters had a sense of humor and a zest for life. Some of their moments:
1. Clemenza laughing when Mike says he'll "kill them both."
2. Clemenza joking with Mike about telling Kay he loves her.
3. Young Clemenza persuading Vito to take the rug as a gift.
4. Pentangelli - "pop goes the weasel."
5. Pentangelli at the senate committee.

PS. Welcome aboard Consig - enjoy the repartee

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3636
06/02/03 08:02 AM
06/02/03 08:02 AM
Berlin, Germany
consiGliera Offline OP
Made Member
consiGliera  Offline OP
Made Member
Berlin, Germany
hello people, thanx for the warm welcome and your replies! you picked fine scenes!

...oh yeah, I forgot to mention that of course every Sonny part is sort of a fun part (except maybe the one where he´s shot... frown ...that´s not THAT funny maybe...), simply due to his character and the way Jimmy Caan acts it!

oh, and the scene where Luca Brasi dribbles while trying to congratulate the Don to Connie´s wedding is also a classic, especially if you keep in mind that Lenny Montana REALLY blew it over and over and they kept it like that.

"i understand you have to deal with a lot of people who try to seem more important than they are. In my case the reverse is true." -Tom Hagen
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3637
06/02/03 08:03 AM
06/02/03 08:03 AM
Berlin, Germany
consiGliera Offline OP
Made Member
consiGliera  Offline OP
Made Member
Berlin, Germany
hello people, thanx for the warm welcome and your replies! you picked fine scenes!

...oh yeah, I forgot to mention that of course every Sonny part is sort of a fun part (except maybe the one where he´s shot... frown ...that´s not THAT funny maybe...), simply due to his character and the way Jimmy Caan acts it!

oh, and the scene where Luca Brasi dribbles while trying to congratulate the Don to Connie´s wedding is also a classic, especially if you keep in mind that Lenny Montana REALLY blew it over and over and they kept it like that.

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3638
06/02/03 09:04 AM
06/02/03 09:04 AM
Nederland
Michael Corleone 14 Offline
Underboss
Michael Corleone 14  Offline
Underboss
Nederland
Vito to Johnny Fontaine: "You can act like a man...!"

Frankie Pentangeli: "They kept saying Michael Corleone did this, Michael Corleone did that, soI said Sure, shy not?"

Fredo and Mike: >"How do you say banana daquri?" <"Banana daquiri." >"That's right?" <"That's right."

"I won't be a man like you." - Michael to Vito, orginal Part II ending
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3639
06/02/03 09:28 AM
06/02/03 09:28 AM
cannoli Offline
Made Member
cannoli  Offline
Made Member
"He was bangin' cocktail waitresses two at a time." That line cracks me up.

Also, when Willie goes, "yeah, buffas" in the Senate hearings. Great stuff.

There is all sorts of subtle humor, such as in I, when Michael explains to Kay how "Luca Brasi held a gun to his head and my father calmly explained that either his brains or his signature would appear on that piece of paper." The look Kay gives him back is priceless.

I love Clemenza dancing at the wedding like some kind of drunken Michael Flatley, and then guzzling down the entire bowl of wine.

Sandra Corleone impressing her friends by describing the size of Sonny's prodigious organ.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3640
06/02/03 10:36 AM
06/02/03 10:36 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
... Probably the wittiest line: Sonny telling Tessio and Clemenza: "I don't want my brother comin' outta that toilet with just his dick in his hand."
Even funnier than that is the 'edited' for tv version of this line, when Sonny is heard dubbing '...just a stick in his hand', instead of the original line.

Anyway...I'm in agreement with Turnbull on the Sengor Roberto scene in Vito's office. Even the intro music, cheerily played on clarinet...sets the tone for this be very comical highlight.

In The Godfather, I just love the way Tom laughs after beckoning Sonny to Vito's office...knowing full well he's banging somebody on the other side of that door. The reactions of Sonny & Lucy are pretty entertaining, too!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3641
06/02/03 11:00 AM
06/02/03 11:00 AM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Welcome to the Family Consigliera!
my choice is the same with MC14. . .
"You can act like a man!"- Don Vito to Johnny and
"sunday, monday, tuesday, thursday. . . "- Appolonia

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3642
06/02/03 11:08 AM
06/02/03 11:08 AM
Surrey. England. In a house.
Researcher Offline
Capo
Researcher  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by cannoli:
Also, when Willie goes, "yeah, buffas" in the Senate hearings. Great stuff.
I never understood what was so funny about that. Buffas? Am I missing some slang meaning of the word?

These are my favourites:

1)When Frankie, at the beginning of GF2 says "A kid comes up to me in a white jacket, gives me a Ritz cracker, and uh, chopped liver, he says Canapés. I say uh, uh, can o' peas my ass, that's a Ritz cracker and chopped liver! " That always makes me laugh. Can of peas. lol

2)When Geary says to Willy Cicci "Uh -- Mr. Cicci could you, uh -- amplify your answer a bit?" The way Cicci just says in his 'gangster' accent "Do what?".

3)In GF3 when Vincent says "Well you tell him from me that he can live or he can die!", and Mike just loses his temper and roars "Vincent will you SHUDDUP!"
Also the way Michael jumps when Vincent snaps "RIGHT??!" in the first Zasa scene. lol

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3643
06/02/03 11:21 AM
06/02/03 11:21 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Researcher:
[QUOTE]...I never understood what was so funny about that. Buffas? Am I missing some slang meaning of the word?...
Willi is somewhat amused at the Senator's use of the word 'buffer', to clarify his statement of never having been given orders by the Don himself.

I guess if you hear it from Cicci's point of view, it is pretty funny and his response (and the resulting laughter in the chambers) is completely justified and in character.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3644
06/02/03 11:33 AM
06/02/03 11:33 AM
Researcher Offline
Capo
Researcher  Offline
Capo
Oh I see. That is pretty funny now you mention it...
In GF1 I also love the part where Paulie at the wedding, after his envious murmours just cries "Sfortunato!" The way he rolls his eyes makes me laughlol Also the way he calls that guy a "stupid jerk!"
It's also well funny the way Sonny just bites down on his knuckles upon seeing the beaten up Connie.

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3645
06/02/03 02:28 PM
06/02/03 02:28 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
I have always seen humor in hypocrisy. The speech give by Senator Geary concerning Italian Americans, cracks me up everytime. You needed a snow shovel for the way he was putting out the BullS*** lol lol lol I swear by the time he was done, if the pope was there, he would have made Mike a saint. grin

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3646
06/02/03 04:14 PM
06/02/03 04:14 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Everyone mentioned all my favorites here and just to add, I thought Fannucci was somewhat of a comical character! When he passes the puppet show and says to himself "This is too violent for me"! Or when VIto goes to talk to him he says something like, "You gotta lot of balls". Not a knee slapper, but humorous just the same. smile The whole way he carried himself as he was at the street feast, as though, he thought himself the "king" of the neighborhood. rolleyes I suppose he was in a sense.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3647
06/02/03 05:06 PM
06/02/03 05:06 PM
Researcher Offline
Capo
Researcher  Offline
Capo
HAHa you're right TIS!
That scene on the rooftops, there's this bit I really enjoy: As Vito is following Fanucci, there is a shot of Fanucci shoving through the crowd, and a cigar is protruding stiffly from between his teeth. I just laughed, he looked so pretentious, and seemed such an invulnerable bully boy, and he had no clue that this thin Sicilian peasant on the rooftop was going to blow his brains out. Just a funny shot. Look out for it!

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3648
06/02/03 07:29 PM
06/02/03 07:29 PM
California

California
That rooftop scene is one of my favorites as well! I suppose even in the beginning Vito thought things out carefully and planned to do this on the evening of the festival don't you? confused

I thought it very smart the way he disposed of the gun as well. Seems it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to ever find it. And the background musical score added just the right touch.

As a matter of fact I have said before that the Young Vito scenes are among my favorite. I guess because they seem so authentic and I think capture the "feel" of that era. (Not that I was around then mind you!!!) blush

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3649
06/02/03 09:20 PM
06/02/03 09:20 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
That rooftop scene is one of my favorites as well! I suppose even in the beginning Vito thought things out carefully and planned to do this on the evening of the festival don't you? confused

I thought it very smart the way he disposed of the gun as well. Seems it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to ever find it. And the background musical score added just the right touch.

As a matter of fact I have said before that the Young Vito scenes are among my favorite. I guess because they seem so authentic and I think capture the "feel" of that era. (Not that I was around then mind you!!!) blush

TIS
I have always thought the rooftop stalking scene was the best and most artistic in all the films. Listen to the music as Vito stalks him, then does him in, then finally returns to his family...... cool

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3650
06/02/03 09:45 PM
06/02/03 09:45 PM
California

California
Yes Johnny Ola,

Vito returning to his family and sitting on the steps telling Michael he loves him!!! Wow!!! What a contrast hu? eek

The thing is the guy is a murderer and yet, I think the film effectively showed that there's no doubt that he was a man who loved his family as well, showing two opposite sides of Vito. smile

TIS

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3651
06/02/03 11:22 PM
06/02/03 11:22 PM
Don Sauno Offline
Capo
Don Sauno  Offline
Capo
I like a lot of the stuff. The stuff mentioned is great. One thing I really like is in GFIII at the opera when Vincent see one of the performers bite another performer on the ear and a smile comes to him as he remembers.

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster"
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3652
06/03/03 08:15 AM
06/03/03 08:15 AM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
All good ones already mentioned smile I have to add, Connies wedding again, Clemenza dancing and he comes off the floor laughing and Paulie tells him he's a terrific dance. Clemenza gets mad and aks who he thinks is, the dancing judge? Go walk round the block and do your job.
Seems he never liked Paulie anyway wink

When the old man gets up to the Mike and sings at the wedding, it's just funny grin

FH

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3653
06/03/03 11:58 AM
06/03/03 11:58 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I always get a laugh when Connie tells Michael she wants to "book passage on the 'Queen'", and Michael replies: "Why come to me? Go see a travel agent."

Also, Fredo's little "two-step" when he opens the door to Michael's Vegas suite prior to the meeting with Moe Green.

Same scene, Moe's little bit of "Rodney Dangerfield" business with his collar and tie when Michael is talking about buying him out.

The scene on Hyman Roth's hotel room balcony in Havana, when Buschetta removes his hat, looks at the bird droppings on it, and then looks up at the sky. (I never realized exactly what had happened until it was pointed out by Turnbull in another thread).

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3654
06/03/03 12:24 PM
06/03/03 12:24 PM
Saddle Brook, NJ
Justin Offline
Made Member
Justin  Offline
Made Member
Saddle Brook, NJ
The scene where a drunken Fredo is introduced to Kay by Michael is one of my favorites. Also, where a nervous Enzo is trying to light his cigarette outside the hospital is also amusing.

Justin
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3655
06/03/03 09:27 PM
06/03/03 09:27 PM
ontario
C
chikachy Offline
Associate
chikachy  Offline
C
Associate
ontario
hi~! this is another newbie to the board ^_^.
my fav. scene is at the end of gfII when they prepared a surprise party for vito. the expression on sonny's face is priceless when mike goes "i did. i enlisted in the marines this morning". that was gold! also the part where his daughter just went giggling and called out, mommy, daddy's fighting again!
i couldn't stop laughing grin all through this scene...

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3656
06/04/03 05:18 PM
06/04/03 05:18 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Probably not meant to be funny, but I always love the way Clemenza says: "Pauli, you won't be seeing him no more." I just laugh at the way he says it.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3657
06/05/03 12:50 PM
06/05/03 12:50 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I love Fredo!! He is so funny! Great thread idea, btw. Some Fredo funnies:

"How do you say banana daquiri?"
"Mama used to say I was left on the doorstep by gypsies. Sometimes I think it's true."

there are more Fredo funnies but I can't think of them right now....

Also in Part I when Sonny gets that fish and asks what is this - makes me laugh.

Kay makes me laugh in Part I at the beginning because she seems so dingy and ditzy.

Actually a lot of it could be seen as humorous, and I think that's why there have been so many parodies of the Godfather in TV shows, etc....

Re: Favorite Funny Bit #3658
06/05/03 01:59 PM
06/05/03 01:59 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
Originally posted by Family Honour:
When the old man gets up to the Mike and sings at the wedding, it's just funny grin

FH
hi FH paisan!
you're right about the Old Man. when i first saw that scene i smile then laugh. i thought the Old man will be out of air and won't finished the song. grin

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull