GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (joepuzzles234, 3 invisible), 271 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,331
Posts1,058,784
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15196
06/19/04 04:52 AM
06/19/04 04:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I always wondered as to how Michael would have turned out if Apollonia had lived and come back to America with him. As in another thread it was said that Kay had a definate influence on Michael's reign as Don, which I agree with. But if Apollonia had been by Michael's side, instead of Kay, would he have turned out a different kind of Don? Perhaps more compassionate to his immedeate family like his father was?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15197
06/19/04 05:48 AM
06/19/04 05:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Well that's speculation, it's hard to judge how a woman influences a man. Michael had been cold and calculating and feircly independant. I don't think Kay influenced any of that and anything else that happened due to this is IMO his doing. Kay to me was a wise choice, she counterbalances his tendancy to get seduced and sucked into the lifestyle. But regardless I think Mike would always have strived to be legit, Vito did as well and her influence wasn't as much of a determining factor but more of encouragement.

He even went legit after they divorced. As for Apollonia being a similar influence. Well I don't know if she would have instilled compassion within him. I doubt Michael wouldn't have changed much, but he definatly could. I think he would have changed less Apollonia would have been more submissive than Kay and Michael would have a greater perpensity to fall back into old hanits. I think perhaps Michael would parralell his father a bit more if he had a Sicilian wife though, psychologically.

It's overtly elluded to in GF II that Michael's main failing is he lost touch with the common man and has turned to grasping for power at whatever cost. Vito always kept his compassion about him and he always had this common touch and this is a major seperation of the two. However by GF III, you can say Michael has regained at least some of this touch. But you do raise a good question, the relationship of Apollonia and him may have resulted in a different Don indeed.

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15198
06/19/04 12:55 PM
06/19/04 12:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Good points my friend. However I always felt that Michael initially turned pretty cold because in reality he never really wanted the life, but was thrown into it because he was a Corleone and felt he had no choice but to save his father's family. I've always felt that Michael really turned that "cold" corner when Kay told him that she aborted his son! I really think that is the moment that his blood turned permantly cold. If Appolonia would have lived and been his wife, she would have bore him many son's, and never would have aborted his child. I think that her different background would have been an influence on Michael's feelings towards his own family unit.
Hey, what the heck are we doing, re-writing the story! LOL!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15199
06/19/04 02:31 PM
06/19/04 02:31 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I have a slightly different take. Michael could have rejected the life at anytime, his decision to get into the life his alone. A family memeber never really ever has to take command of a family in the case of succession, so Mike's decision was his own. My view is that Mike's way of approaching command has always been kill all my enemies cus I can' bank on mercy. This was first executed in GF I and elaborated upon in GF II.

But you do make a good point I think him in and of itself may have turned a cold streak when he learned about the abortion. I know he was on the path and before the abortion, when he learned about the whereabouts of Fredo Michael said to Neri "I dont want anything to happen to him while mama is still alive".

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15200
06/19/04 04:29 PM
06/19/04 04:29 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I always wondered as to how Michael would have turned out if Apollonia had lived and come back to America with him. As in another thread it was said that Kay had a definate influence on Michael's reign as Don, which I agree with. But if Apollonia had been by Michael's side, instead of Kay, would he have turned out a different kind of Don? Perhaps more compassionate to his immedeate family like his father was?

Don Cardi cool
Oh I don't believe Kay influenced Michael behaviors at all. She desired the family to become legit. As we know, Micheal did what he wanted. On the other hand Apollonia craves attention. He could provide her with that when he was in exile. In New York, running the family, he will have less time with her. I feel that things can become sticky with their marriage.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15201
06/19/04 05:52 PM
06/19/04 05:52 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Of course nobody will ever know, but Apollonia was very young, immature and submissive. (I believe 16 when they got married.) I cannot conceive she would have exerted much "influence" on Michael other than essentially support whatever he wanted to do.

Kay on the other hand was a college graduate and had a teaching career of her own, and as we later learn, is independent enough to stand up to Michael (sometimes). I cannot imagine Apollonia doing any of that.

She was, however, simply outstanding , in her one big scene... eek eek grin

"You did good."
Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15202
06/19/04 08:14 PM
06/19/04 08:14 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Originally posted by EnzoBaker:
Of course nobody will ever know, but Apollonia was very young, immature and submissive. (I believe 16 when they got married.) I cannot conceive she would have exerted much "influence" on Michael other than essentially support whatever he wanted to do.

Kay on the other hand was a college graduate and had a teaching career of her own, and as we later learn, is independent enough to stand up to Michael (sometimes). I cannot imagine Apollonia doing any of that.

I disagree... I think Apollonia would have been able to stand up to Michael, too, but in a more appropriate and loving way, not by murdering his child. She was young and submissive, yes, but she had a very strong personality, similar to Michael's mother. I think she would have been able to stand up to Michael and even influence him, in an "old-country" way, although not in business... She would know her place, also.

I don't know if Kay's independence had as much to do with her education as it did with her upbringing as an American. The American ideal of a strong woman is an independent woman, but in many other nationalities, including (especially) Italian, a strong woman is exactly what Apollonia would have grown into, in a submissive way. She had all the makings of a strong, stubborn woman (What? but she's Italian! lol ). Don't forget, it takes a VERY strong woman to even be able to have that type of submission towards someone she loves, despite her pride, and to support her husband and be a part of him even though he (rightly) shuts her out of such an important part of his life, his business. But what I'm trying to say is that it goes beyond the submission... these women know when to be submissive, and when to stand up to their husbands the way only they can. Some crap, men would only take from their wives; no one else could get away with that kind of thing.

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15203
06/19/04 10:10 PM
06/19/04 10:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Letizia,

You hit it right on the head! That was exactly what I was thinking and wanted to see how others felt. All made very good points, but I think that you really see it the way that I do.
Yes, like many say Michael was cold when it came to family business, and no one could influence him or persuay him when it came to the business. As for his immedeate family, I agree that Apollonia would have "lightned" him up a bit in the old world way, respectfully as his wife. Kay on the other hand being brought up an American with American ideas, was tough on Michael and did not have the old world respect for her husband, and I think this drove Michael deeper into coldness. If anyone remembers the book, and I believe the saga, Kay goes to mama Corleone to learn what she must do to be a good Italian wife to her Godfather husband.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15204
06/19/04 10:22 PM
06/19/04 10:22 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by UnderBoss:
I have a slightly different take. Michael could have rejected the life at anytime, his decision to get into the life his alone. A family memeber never really ever has to take command of a family in the case of succession, so Mike's decision was his own.
Yes, Michael could definately rejected the life, and he did while his father was still healthy and in charge. While it is true that no one has to take command as a successor, Michael, the son who was the most like Vito, realized himself that he had to step into the business in order to save the family, while it was his own choice, he basically saw within himself that he really did not have a choice at that point. He knew that he was the one who could save the family. We also see that Michael took the attempt on his father's life personally, took McClusky's assault that left him disfigured personally, and the coldness that was deep within him rose to the top and he now desired to cold bloodedly murder Sollozo and McClusky to: A) save Vito's life, and: B) get even with McClusky at the same time. There is no doubt in my mind that if Vito had not been shot and remained healthy, that Micahel would have taken the legitimate road in life. But then again if that happened we would not have the story!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: What if Apollonia Had Lived? #15205
06/20/04 12:07 AM
06/20/04 12:07 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
But as for Michael, in between the time of GF II and III, became legit and it can be argued this was in part due to the events of GF II, like some negative conditioning (abortion of his kid) by Kay and the fact that she was so adamimant. Vito regardless of his intentions never followed though or became legit, and it can be argue this is ebcause of the war and the events, but he didn't encorage Micahel to become legit either. So I think if he he remained with Apollonia, he may have lightened up a bit, he still wouldnt' have had the incentive to become legit.

You can then argue that Anthony would have been more attracted to the life and not become a musician.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull