GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,779
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question for All You Old GF fans #9538
06/17/04 04:38 AM
06/17/04 04:38 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I know at the time of the Godfather Brando was very established at the time as an great actor. I know Pacino and Keaton only did 2 movies before staring in the Godfather, Caan had done about a dozen before and Duvall was in To Kill a Mockingird and the MASH movie along with more than a dozen others.

My question: What was these legends' status before the Godfather as actors (Caan, Duvall, Keaton and Pacino)?

Re: Question for All You Old GF fans #9539
06/17/04 06:28 AM
06/17/04 06:28 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by UnderBoss:
My question: What was these legends' status before the Godfather as actors (Caan, Duvall, Keaton and Pacino)?
Speaking from personal knowledge at the time (that "The Godfather" was released):

I knew of James Caan from his role in the TV movie "Brian's Song" and I thought he was an OK actor, but only "OK".

Duvall was the most familiar to me (of those listed above). I had seen him in a few movies, and absolutely loved his portrayal in "M*A*S*H".

I hadn't seen Keaton or Pacino in anything before I saw them in "The Godfather".

Re: Question for All You Old GF fans #9540
06/17/04 10:08 AM
06/17/04 10:08 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You'll find useful info on this subject in Harlan Lebo's "The Godfather Legacy" (a must for any serious player on these boards). Briefly: only Duvall had been around long enough to establish a tangible reputation. FFC chose him and Caan because he'd worked with them previously on "The Rain People." Keaton had done theater, TV commercials and was a member of Johnny Carson's "stock company." Pacino was up-and-coming, but still relatively unknown.
One thing that's not said explicitly, but which I suspect: FFC may have chosen them in part because they were relatively unknown, and he could therefore get them cheap. One of the reasons Paramount chose FFC to direct GF was that he was young and relatively unknown, and they thought he might be able to bring GF in cheap(!!!) He wanted Brando and knew he'd have to pay big bucks for him, so perhaps he chose the others in part because they didn't command high salaries. As you probably know, Pacino got all of $50k for his work in GF.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Question for All You Old GF fans #9541
06/17/04 10:58 AM
06/17/04 10:58 AM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
This is what comes to mine:

Caan did to a lot a bit parts in films. I think his notable ones in The Rain People (FFC film), and Brain's song. I think he worked a lot with Duval in Roger Corman flicks.

Keaton had a bit part in 1970 movie Friends and Other Strangers and NBC's Night Gallery in which she played a nurse, she also did HAIR on broadway.

Pacino was more noted in off-broadway theather and he won an Obie for Does the tiger wears a Neck tie. He had a guess starring role in ABC's cop show NYPD and he met his old girlfriend Jill Clayburg during filming.

Duvall did some teleplays in the 50's, Roger Corman films, and of course MASH and Mockingbird.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: Question for All You Old GF fans #9542
06/17/04 12:37 PM
06/17/04 12:37 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by Turnbull:

He wanted Brando and knew he'd have to pay big bucks for him, so perhaps he chose the others in part because they didn't command high salaries.
I feel like Bonasera in Don Corleones study ohwell questioning Turnbulls post, but I will give it a shot grin

From what I understand at that time, wasn't Brando's career more or less on the downside? Didn't he have to somewhat audition for the part, with the famous shoe polish and kleenex story? Im not saying he came cheap, but cheaper then other names that were bandied about, such as Anthony Quinn. Of course after the success of Godfather, Brando started acting like Brando, demanding the high salaries again, such as a high one for about 12 minutes in Superman. smile

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Question for All You Old GF fans #9543
06/17/04 03:02 PM
06/17/04 03:02 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the info, that's what the states generally indicates and what my impressions were. I have another question. Is it true that the studio wanted Martin Sheen to be Michael? What would that have been like?

Re: Question for All You Old GF fans #9544
06/17/04 03:44 PM
06/17/04 03:44 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
They screen tested Martin Sheen, it's on the Extras DVD, but he didn't have "it." He was damn good in Apocalypse Now, but he wasn't playing a Sicilian in that film, lol. They also really wanted Robert Redford, but FFC kept squeezing Al in every chance he got. The studio wasn't gonna use Al until Brando stood up for Francis. Brando had such a presence, both on screen and off, that no one really questioned him.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull