GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BarrettM, Irishman12), 297 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,798
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9481
06/16/04 10:46 AM
06/16/04 10:46 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
I was watching Part 1 last night and I can't remember if this is shown in a deleted scene or not, but what is up with that demolished car sitting in the background when Kay comes to the house to try to find out aout Michael and talked with Hagen, who mentions the line above.

Anyone know what that is about? It's a funny scene in the movie becomes it comes out of nowhere, but I sense there was something about it that was deleted.

Anyone know?

Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9482
06/16/04 11:11 AM
06/16/04 11:11 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Well, we have to remember that there's been a war going on ever since Michael killed Sollozzo and fled to Sicily. This car...and whomever was in it...could've been one of the casualties.

Tom is not about to go into detail with Kay everything that's been going on, so the simplest, most logical reply would be just the one he gave her and then quickly get her off the subject.

Also, it could very well have been an accident where nobody got hurt. Maybe Sandra was again demonstrating her husband's size to a friend and took her hands off the wheel for a second too many. Could be anything we want to imagine. Personally, I always found it a nice side touch but not really relevant to the overall story.

Maybe someone who's read the book can add whether there's an actual incident involved with the car.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9483
06/16/04 06:27 PM
06/16/04 06:27 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I always thought the car was a kind of barrier, put there deliberately to prevent an enemy from ramming through the gate (or chain) and proceeding further. If you look closely at that wrecked car, I believe you'll see that the doors appear to have been removed cleanly and deliberately, not as a result of a real accident.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9484
06/16/04 06:47 PM
06/16/04 06:47 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I remember reading in the book that one night, while this whole war was going on between the Corleones and the other families, a car pulled up to the mall and threw a bomb or a grenade over the wall. Maybe that car had something to do with that incident.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9485
06/16/04 10:29 PM
06/16/04 10:29 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
I remember reading in the book that one night, while this whole war was going on between the Corleones and the other families, a car pulled up to the mall and threw a bomb or a grenade over the wall. Maybe that car had something to do with that incident.
I would go with this one, since the car appeared to have fire damage.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9486
06/18/04 08:44 PM
06/18/04 08:44 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:
If I'm not mistaken, that part took place right after Mike left America. I was under the impression Kay visited after Mike had been gone several months. I figured the car was a result of mob business.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9487
06/19/04 10:54 AM
06/19/04 10:54 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline
Button
sonof70s  Offline
Button
washington dc
Those of you who read the book know the backround, but what did Coppola intend for the movie audience to get from that line/scene? To me it was just a way of letting us/Kay know that serious a serious mob war was ongoing, and that Tom didn't want Kay to know about it.

"...for old times' sake?"
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9488
06/19/04 05:39 PM
06/19/04 05:39 PM
sthlm, Sweden
Alberto_Neri Offline
Capo
Alberto_Neri  Offline
Capo
sthlm, Sweden
Theres alot of small stuff adapted from the book that we can't understand completely without reading the book...

For example a very nice touch was when Appolonia tripped and fell in Michaels arms while walking in Sicily. This was the only way they could touch each other before marriage, and the old ladies knew this. Hence the laugh of the old ladies following Michael and Appolonia.

"After all, we're not communists"
- Barzini
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9489
06/19/04 06:57 PM
06/19/04 06:57 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Maybe someone who's read the book can add whether there's an actual incident involved with the car.

Apple
You're kidding me Apple...

That's surprising. You ever going to read it?

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9490
06/19/04 08:21 PM
06/19/04 08:21 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:

Anyone know what that is about? It's a funny scene in the movie becomes it comes out of nowhere, but I sense there was something about it that was deleted.

Anyone know?
Actually the wreaked car did not come from nowhere. That scene was also in the book as well. For me, the closed up mall, the outside guards and the wreaked car gives Kay a more realistic evidence that a real war is actually going on.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9491
06/20/04 10:40 PM
06/20/04 10:40 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline
Underboss
New York
A bomb was tossed into the Corleone compound, according to the book - as others have stated here. I could understand the confusion if you haven't read the book.

However, I do think these few seconds when Kay asks Tom about the car should have been edited out of the movie. Maybe this was an oversight during the editing? After all, FFC was forced by Paramount to cut the movie length a few times. Otherwise, I don't see what it adds to the film.

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9492
06/21/04 09:48 AM
06/21/04 09:48 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'm glad they left it in... it just shows Kay's innocence to the whole family. This is what happens in mob wars... plus Tom's response is priceless. He's almost laughing when he says "That was an accident. No one was hurt."

Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9493
06/21/04 10:54 AM
06/21/04 10:54 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by joltinjoe05:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b] Maybe someone who's read the book ...

You're kidding me Apple...
That's surprising. You ever going to read it? [/b]
To be quite honest...I don't really know. Since being a member of this list it's always been on the back of my mind but just not yet a priority.

So many here have touched upon things the film (thankfully) doesn't cover in detail...the Lucy/Johnny/Dr. Whatshisname stories, as well as the obsession w/ Santino's 'size'...that frankly I dread reading those parts out of sheer boredom.
Right now I still prefer enjoying the film(s) without benefit of insights from the novel.

But, I'll never say never....could happen!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9494
06/23/04 04:04 PM
06/23/04 04:04 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline
Button
sonof70s  Offline
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
I could understand the confusion if you haven't read the book.

There should be no confusion if you watched the movie without reading the book, especially most here who have viewed it several times. The screenplay is written as a complete story for audiences who have not read the book.

"...for old times' sake?"
Re: "That was an accident, no one was hurt." #9495
06/23/04 04:25 PM
06/23/04 04:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I agree w/ sonof70s.

Little tidbits like this only add to the depth of the movie, and no one who knows how to enjoy a film should need a detailed, background explanation to every single piece of dialogue that is spoken or gesture that is made.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull