GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 263 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,030
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,315
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101166
03/02/05 09:27 PM
03/02/05 09:27 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
The US Constitution calls for the separation of church and state. My question is this: How come I can go into a government building and see a Cross? A picture of Jesus? The 10 Commandments? The answer is simple. I can see all of these things in government buildings, especially courts, because our courts are violating the US Constitution.

Nobody has the right to put any sort of religion into a government run or owned building. It's outrageous that people can defend this. I have a question for those of you who are alright with the 10 Commandments in a court. Would you be alright if this same court put the Koran in view for everyone to see? The Hebrew Holy book?

Look, I am not offended when I see the 10 Commandments, as I am a Roman Catholic; however, it's against the US Constitution and it can offend people who aren't Christian or don't believe in God. When a government building has ANY religious symbol up, it's almost as if tax dollars are used to promote this religion. It isn't right and it should be stopped. I wish the ACLU good luck in getting every court and government building to take down all religious symbols. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101167
03/02/05 09:30 PM
03/02/05 09:30 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
Did u know that no where in the Constitution is there the words seperation of church and state! It was in a letter written by Jefferson and not in the Constitution.

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101168
03/02/05 09:45 PM
03/02/05 09:45 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Would you be alright if this same court put the Koran in view for everyone to see? The Hebrew Holy book?
Yes, the only part I disagree with is having to swear on the Bible, but just seeing something? Meh.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101169
03/02/05 09:56 PM
03/02/05 09:56 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
Did u know that no where in the Constitution is there the words seperation of church and state! It was in a letter written by Jefferson and not in the Constitution.
The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101170
03/02/05 09:58 PM
03/02/05 09:58 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
What took u so long to respond? U had to go look it up or something? Where in that does it say seperation of church and state? The founding fathers put that in so there would not be only 1 religion in the U.S. They made it a law not to have just 1. That is what that means. Respecting an establishment of religion, they would respect all religion!

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101171
03/02/05 10:03 PM
03/02/05 10:03 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Quote:
What took u so long to respond? U had to go look it up or something? Where in that does it say seperation of church and state? The founding fathers put that in so there would not be only 1 religion in the U.S. They made it a law not to have just 1. That is what that means.
So what if their aren't the words "separation of church and state". The First Amendment guarantees the principle of the separation of church and state by implication, because separating church and state is what allows religious liberty to exist.

Nowhere in the Constitution will you find words like "right to privacy" or even "right to a fair trial." Does this mean that no American citizen has a right to privacy or a fair trial?

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101172
03/02/05 10:10 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
The Fifth Amendment provides that no person shall be held for "a capital or otherwise infamous crime" without indictment, be twice put in "jeopardy of life or limb" for the same offense, be compelled to testify against himself, or "be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law." The privilege against self-incrimination has been the center of a great deal of controversy as a result of the growth of Congressional investigations. The phrase "due process of law," which appears in the Fifth Amendment, is also included in the Fourteenth Amendment. As a result there has been much debate as to whether both amendments guarantee the same rights. Those in favor of what is termed fixed due process claim that all the safeguards applied against the federal government should be also applied against the states through the Fourteenth Amendment. The supporters of the concept of flexible due process are only willing to impose those guarantees on the states that "are implicit in the concept of ordered liberty."

The Sixth Amendment guarantees the right of speedy and public trial by an impartial jury in all criminal proceedings, while the Seventh Amendment guarantees the right of trial by jury in almost all common-law suits. Excessive bail, fines and "cruel and unusual" punishment are prohibited by the Eighth Amendment. The Ninth Amendment states that "The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." READ UR CONSITuTION

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101173
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
The U.S is thankfully a secular state, Pat, no need to worry or get your panties up in a bunch. I don't know about crosses in public buildings, especially as they are a symbol of Roman Catholicism & this country was founded upon 'Protestant' Christianity; this should answer your question on why a Bible or Christian material & not a Qur'an in court.

The 'Churches' here have no direct or indirect say in political matters (e.g: the Pope has little to no influence in this country's political affairs), or do you think otherwise? Why a Qur'an instead of a Bible in court?

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101174
03/02/05 10:17 PM
03/02/05 10:17 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
What took u so long to respond? U had to go look it up or something? Where in that does it say seperation of church and state?
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."
Do I need to translate?
Congress will not support a government building that consists of any religious symbols.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101175
03/02/05 10:21 PM
03/02/05 10:21 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Guineapig:
The U.S is thankfully a secular state, Pat, no need to worry or get your panties up in a bunch. I don't know about crosses in public buildings, especially as they are a symbol of Roman Catholicism & this country was founded upon 'Protestant' Christianity; this should answer your question on why a Bible or Christian material & not a Qur'an in court.

The 'Churches' here have no direct or indirect say in political matters (e.g: the Pope has little to no influence in this country's political affairs), or do you think otherwise? Why a Qur'an instead of a Bible in court?
Not necessarily the churches, but mainly these courts with the 10 Commandments or any other religious symbols. The Qur'an shouldn't be allowed either, but I'm saying this: If these courts wish to have us swear over the Christian Bible or have the 10 Commandments, than why don't they put every single religious symbol of every religion up? With that said, it'd be impossible to do that, so just having these Christian symbols makes those non-Christian uneasy and sometimes offended. -Pat

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101176
03/02/05 10:26 PM
03/02/05 10:26 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
[/qb][/QUOTE]"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."
Do I need to translate?
Congress will not support a government building that consists of any religious symbols. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Read the Bill of Rights. The founding fathers put it in so there would be freedom of religion! They came to this country so there would be freedom of religion. The government will not dispute a persons freedom of worship! Ask one of ur teachers about it. And like u said, why in almost every federal building in the US is there some sort of religious tone to them, whether it is the cross hanging on the wall or the 10 commandments? These buildings were built after the consitituion was written, so I guess all the builders were commiting federal crimes? If it were against the law they would not have been built. Hence it is not in the Bill of Rights!

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101177
03/02/05 10:29 PM
03/02/05 10:29 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
He is checking to see what Hannity and Colmes say tonight. They are on till 10pm on cable here. So I bet you will see him back on after that show ends. Filled up with new ammo and snide comments. so put on your vests and take a pill for your nerves.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101178
03/02/05 10:37 PM
03/02/05 10:37 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
That is exactly what he is doing.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101179
03/02/05 10:39 PM
03/02/05 10:39 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Actually, I've missed the whole show tonight.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101180
03/02/05 10:41 PM
03/02/05 10:41 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
Thats right u were watching the Basketball game

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101181
03/02/05 11:14 PM
03/02/05 11:14 PM
Cincinnati
DannyMontana Offline
Underboss
DannyMontana  Offline
Underboss
Cincinnati
I'm gonna go with what DV said earlier about this and disagree with swearing on the Bible, but seriously, if your really going to protest a cross or the Ten Commandments being in a courthouse you have too much free time on your hand. I would not be offended by anything of another religion if it was somewhere. It's just so ridiculous.

George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man.

-Slater "Dazed and Confused"
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101182
03/02/05 11:24 PM
03/02/05 11:24 PM
Detroit, MI
Cancerkitty Offline
Underboss
Cancerkitty  Offline
Underboss
Detroit, MI
Quote:
The US Constitution calls for the separation of church and state. My question is this: How come I can go into a government building and see a Cross? A picture of Jesus? The 10 Commandments? The answer is simple. I can see all of these things in government buildings, especially courts, because our courts are violating the US Constitution.

Nobody has the right to put any sort of religion into a government run or owned building. It's outrageous that people can defend this. I have a question for those of you who are alright with the 10 Commandments in a court. Would you be alright if this same court put the Koran in view for everyone to see? The Hebrew Holy book?

Look, I am not offended when I see the 10 Commandments, as I am a Roman Catholic; however, it's against the US Constitution and it can offend people who aren't Christian or don't believe in God. When a government building has ANY religious symbol up, it's almost as if tax dollars are used to promote this religion. It isn't right and it should be stopped. I wish the ACLU good luck in getting every court and government building to take down all religious symbols. -Pat
Just a little nit-pickery here. THe Ten Commandments were given to Moses, and the whole episode takes place in the Old Testimate, therefore putting the Ten Commandments in a building is exactly like putting something from the Hebrew holy book.

And to extrapolate further, both Christianity and Moslem beliefs stemmed from the Old Testimate, therefore they all make use of the Ten Commandments either directly, as is the case with Christianity, or indirectly like in Moslem religions.

Besides, the statues of the Ten Commandments aren't the government's way of pushing religion. The Ten Commandments were an important step in the creation of modern law, much like Hamurabbi's Code of Laws, which are also in many court rooms.

Finally, the symbol of justice, you know, the blindfolded woman with the scales, comes from Greco-Roman mythology, thus it too is a religious symbol, so where's the protest about that? This is just a misguided attack on Christian religion that doesn't really have a lot of backing in logic.

DelSquacho.com - All the world loves a clown, but not an evil clown.
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101184
03/03/05 12:19 PM
03/03/05 12:19 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
What do you mean?

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101186
03/03/05 12:47 PM
03/03/05 12:47 PM
Detroit, MI
Cancerkitty Offline
Underboss
Cancerkitty  Offline
Underboss
Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally posted by Partagas:
Exactly what I said. Do you think the court can legally display historical documents such as the Declaration of Independence?
I think I know where this is going

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101187
03/03/05 01:01 PM
03/03/05 01:01 PM
Cleveland
Rocky Offline
Capo
Rocky  Offline
Capo
Cleveland
Quote:
Originally posted by Cancerkitty:
[quote]Originally posted by Partagas:
[b]Exactly what I said. Do you think the court can legally display historical documents such as the Declaration of Independence?
I think I know where this is going [/b][/quote]Yeah, me too.

— Rocky
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101188
03/03/05 03:52 PM
03/03/05 03:52 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Partagas:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b] What do you mean?
Exactly what I said. Do you think the court can legally display historical documents such as the Declaration of Independence? [/b][/quote]I think any parts of it that include God or anything with religion should be cut out. -Pat

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101189
03/03/05 03:54 PM
03/03/05 03:54 PM
Detroit, MI
Cancerkitty Offline
Underboss
Cancerkitty  Offline
Underboss
Detroit, MI
Quote:
I think any parts of it that include God or anything with religion should be cut out. -Pat
You're in favor of censorship then? I'm surprised.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101190
03/03/05 03:58 PM
03/03/05 03:58 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Censorship on government property when it comes to religion, yes.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101191
03/04/05 02:11 PM
03/04/05 02:11 PM
Detroit, MI
Cancerkitty Offline
Underboss
Cancerkitty  Offline
Underboss
Detroit, MI
What, exactly, is the harm in having something related to religion on government property?

I just can't comprehend how a plaque of the ten commandments or a cross is hurting/oppressing anyone.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101192
03/04/05 02:40 PM
03/04/05 02:40 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
What, exactly, is the harm in having something related to religion on government property?

I just can't comprehend how a plaque of the ten commandments or a cross is hurting/oppressing anyone.
It is not, so don't let some ass wipe run you around.
It only becomes a point if the government makes a statement for or against something. It can remain neutral and there is no harm or foul.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101193
03/04/05 03:24 PM
03/04/05 03:24 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:

We had basically the same discussion around Christmas, when we debated the appropriateness of religious displays in government buildings.

Some of us, myself included, are of the opinion that while they don't "hurt" or "oppress" anyone, they can or may give the appearance of the government sanctioning or favoring one religion over another.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 51: Separation of Church and State #101194
03/04/05 03:57 PM
03/04/05 03:57 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Well said, Plaw.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull