GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (joepuzzles234, RushStreet, BarrettM), 396 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,102
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9404
06/11/04 05:17 AM
06/11/04 05:17 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline OP
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline OP
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
This question has been on my mind for a while and I have not found a hundred percent convincing answer for that yet. I thought I share it here so everyone could say what he/she think of this logo. I've added some lines from this trilogy in the end. In the first line Vito is saying he has not been the puppet on the strings but I don't think he held the strings either because he's saying that he wanted Mike to become a Senator or Governor to hold the strings. Why Godfather is shown like a puppet on the strings and whose hand is up there. I'd like to hear your ideas about this logo.

-------------------------------------------------
1-I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family. And I refused -- to be a fool -- dancing on the string, held by all those -- bigshots. I don't apologize -- that's my life -- but I thought that -- that when it was your time -- that -- that you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator - Corleone. Governor - Corleone, or something... (Vito, 1st part)
2-Michael why -- why didn't you come to us? I mean Pop had to pull a lot of strings to get you a deferment. (Tom, 2nd part)
3-You still have your fingers on the strings, even now. Let's see more of each other. (Michael to Don Altobello, 3rd part)
4-Tony says that I’m a front for the foundation. That you’re using me just to pull the strings. To get the money where you want it...(Mary, 3rd part)
-------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9405
06/11/04 11:38 AM
06/11/04 11:38 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
I have always been under the impression that the hands belonged to Vito, since he was the one that was had the power to "pull strings" to get things done. If I am not mistaken the logo was also used on the dustjacket on the book.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9406
06/11/04 04:53 PM
06/11/04 04:53 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
I agree with Ola. The bottomline is this, unlike other movies of the same genre, the GF trilogy shows men of power with the ability to pull strings to get what they want, they have the money and the power to do so. I think the original logo is directly related to Vito, since he had an enormous amount of connections, even more if you consider what's said in the book.

Your first quote is very compelling, but I think Vito did hold the strings. Same with Barzini, Roth, Senators, Governers, etc. There are many powerful men holding different sets of strings. Some putting on puppet shows for each other, some having others dance on strings their strings. I think this is the nature of power. GF almost exclucivly centers around the corleone family so I think the logo refers to Vito. Now if was to be held accuratly as you said, well then there would be about 50 sets of strings and people dancing on them, some entangeled, it would be a big mess.

Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9407
06/11/04 04:57 PM
06/11/04 04:57 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
And on an extension of what I said I will say it is the set of strings held by the Corleones that are being manipulated in this because Michael comes out on top in the last one. The first quote that you said also is an indication that despite how powerful you are, there is going to be someone else who is just as powerful, a president, a senator.

Remember the GF takes place in a closed world so I think the set of strings totally has to do with the ones held by the Corleones

Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9408
06/11/04 06:41 PM
06/11/04 06:41 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
A lot of people say that it was Vito's hand, but towards the end, the power (and the strings) were passed on to Michael. I think it was both Mike and Vito's hand. It was the Don's hand.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9409
06/11/04 10:13 PM
06/11/04 10:13 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline
Made Member
Rhode Island
Has anyone really noticed, though, how the strings on the logo go into The Godfather. This shows that whoever's hand that is, he/she is controlling the Godfather. I always tought that it was what Vito wanted for Micheal. You know, "I always thought you would be the one holding the strings". I thought that it showed irony that the guy that Vito never wanted to become don, the guy that was suppose to be controlling people legitimetely ended up besomeing one of the most ruthless dons around. I don't know, just something to think about.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel
Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9410
06/12/04 03:04 AM
06/12/04 03:04 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline OP
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline OP
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Yes, Godfather is shown as a puppet in this logo. That's what makes me think whose hand could be up there. Here is some thought. Take the 18th amendment to the constitution of the US back in 1920s. Would people stop drinking with that new law? Of course not, it would just limit a business to a small group supported by some of those who passed the law to make them rich. So there would be still demand for liquor and there would be people who take interest to do the dirty job but they would need the support from high up to do the business with no trouble. The majority of cash would flow up there to keep the business going. There would be cops on payrolls and higher and higher they would get their bigger share to keep their silence. Look at narcotic business. It is illegal. However if we want to get it, it would be as easy as reaching out our hands. And who we would know responsible for these stuff? Godfather. That's what I think about the hand up there. But still what I don't understand is that why Vito said he refused to be a puppet on the strings? Or he just thought he is not one of those puppets and he was?

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9411
06/13/04 01:35 PM
06/13/04 01:35 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
A lot of people say that it was Vito's hand, but towards the end, the power (and the strings) were passed on to Michael. I think it was both Mike and Vito's hand. It was the Don's hand.
"Just when I thought every thing was covered on the board, they drag me back in with the logo!" lol

Lets look at the time line of the logo. It started being on the dustcover of the novel. The novel was essentially about Don Corleone and his role as "Godfather", following this line of thought I would assume that the hands are that of Don Corleones. To be fair, it could be argued that he wasn't the only godfather, but I would say, "thats true, but he was the Godfather the Novel was written about, ergo they are his hands, "pulling the strings" tongue

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9412
06/16/04 03:15 AM
06/16/04 03:15 AM
T
TheKillerGFan Offline
Wiseguy
TheKillerGFan  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Hello everyone

First time poster here, im a big fan of the GF series, but i gotta disagree with some of you on the logo

I have always felt that THE major goal and major themes of the godfather was to become legitimate in America. Though the Dons and Mafia chief's held considerable power and control they could only exert their influence on fellow Sicilians because of the code of silence omerta, and people mixed up in the underworld who could not turn to the police. In order to keep control they still had to pay their "tribute" to those on top, the ones they could not touch, senators, judges, policemen. These are the people who controlled the country, pulling the strings; Vito said it himself in his last days with Michael he wished he'd had more time so that Michael could have been the one pulling the strings as a senator or a judge.

The logo is the embodiment of the Godfather's goal, HIS american dream. To have his children become leaders in the legitimate world. And truly control. It is a symbol of the political leaders of America because they are gangsters in their own right.

Re: Godfather logo- Whose hand is up there? #9413
06/16/04 03:24 AM
06/16/04 03:24 AM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Hey killerGFfan, what's up, welcome.

Astute observation. Personally I feel it's always been the goal of Vincent and Michael to become legit. The temptation in the GF series is the familiarity of the characters to running a criminal family. Their genius is entirely misdirected as they attempt not to take the road less traveled and slip into what they know.

For instance Vincent with his knowledge of the Omerta and Cosa Nostra way has a tactical advantage of Fannucci who, as the book indicates, doesnt' have true mafioso power. He establishes his empire by his action. Michael accordingly does do a noble thing for his father, but instead of then turning away he gets sucked into the life and can't escape.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull