GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 280 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,202
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,973
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exerpt From Roger Ebert's GF III Reviews and General Comments about the Corleones #9200
06/05/04 10:12 PM
06/05/04 10:12 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Roger Ebert Remarked in his Review of GF III:

"Some of the dialogue scenes, especially in the beginning, sound vaguely awkward; the answers do not fit the questions, and conversations seem to have been rewritten in the editing room. Other shots - long shots, into the light, so we cannot see the characters' lips - look suspiciously like scenes that were filmed first and dubbed later. The whole ambitious final movement of the film - in which two separate intrigues are intercut with the progress of an opera being sung by Anthony - is intended to be suspenseful but is so confusing, we are not even sure which place (Sicily, Rome, London?) one of the intrigues is occurring. The final scene of the movie, which is intended to echo Marlon Brando's famous death scene, is perfunctory and awkward.

"And yet it's strange how the earlier movies fill in the gaps left by this one, and answer the questions. It is, I suspect, not even possible to understand this film without knowing the first two, and yet, knowing them, "Part III" works better than it should, evokes the same sense of wasted greatness, of misdirected genius. Both Don Vito Corleone and Don Michael Corleone could have been great men. But they lacked that final shred of character that would have allowed them to break free from their own pasts. Or perhaps their tragedies were dictated by circumstances. Perhaps they were simply born into the wrong family. "

I think he hit the nail on the head with this one.

Re: Exerpt From Roger Ebert's GF III Reviews and General Comments about the Corleones #9202
06/05/04 10:43 PM
06/05/04 10:43 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
True, his character I think is given more depth in the book, his true ideology is only touched upon in the movie, but never really explored.

Vito, basically didn't want to be subject to another man's will and was a man of his own making. The Mafia is romanticized in this mannor in the book, noble gangsters, people who don't bow to anybody else. Vito is a noble character but both him and Michael had the ability to be legitamite business men and it was stated in the book.

I think what Ebert is saying is Vito's choice (with Fanucci) and Michael's (McCluskey and Sollozzo) and ultimatly Michael's choice of allowing Vincent to take over in GF III, is their character's flaw. They had the intellect and ability to be leaders and very successful. Michael between GF II and III grew his fortune enormously and legitamized himself.

This choice would ultimatly rip apart their family and cause their children to suffer. This is a central theme of the movie. Fredo, Sonny, Sofia, all died due to their involvement within the life and although there is alot of glamour and romanticism in the life of organized crime it is ultimatly a dead end with more costs then benefits.

Re: Exerpt From Roger Ebert's GF III Reviews and General Comments about the Corleones #9203
06/05/04 10:47 PM
06/05/04 10:47 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline OP
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline OP
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Incidentally if you want to read the whole review by Roger Ebert here is the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1990/12/583903.html

Re: Exerpt From Roger Ebert's GF III Reviews and General Comments about the Corleones #9204
06/07/04 09:22 AM
06/07/04 09:22 AM
Chilltown Offline
Made Member
Chilltown  Offline
Made Member
i have always been (pleasantly) surprised that Ebert gave GF III a better review than Part II- they got ***1/2 and *** respectively. and he never spoke ill of Sofia-which i find admirable considering nearly every other critic did.

Re: Exerpt From Roger Ebert's GF III Reviews and General Comments about the Corleones #9205
06/07/04 10:00 PM
06/07/04 10:00 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
Originally posted by Chilltown:
i have always been (pleasantly) surprised that Ebert gave GF III a better review than Part II- they got ***1/2 and *** respectively. and he never spoke ill of Sofia-which i find admirable considering nearly every other critic did.
Can you post a link to his review of Part II.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull