GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, Mafia101, 1 invisible), 56 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,761
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 46: Joseph Stalin #96383
02/03/05 02:32 AM
02/03/05 02:32 AM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline
Capo
Quote:
I respect what he tried to do and how he experimented with communism, not the fact that he killed 20 million people.
Who were the 20 million he killed? Rich people? No, considering Stalin's people were about the only rich people in the Russia at the time. Give me a break, they were almost totally por civilians... and if you know anything about Stalin you'd know he was a very paranoid person and he could see some poor guy on the street and feel threatened.

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think that the US and UK could've beaten Germany without Russia. It was pretty much the US and UK alone, since France fell to Germany and Vichy France backed the Nazi's. I believe Canada helped us and some other European nations as well, but the US and UK were the 2 main forces on the Allies. Japan probably would've made the war last much longer too, but we decided to drop the 2 a-bombs to prevent further Allie casualties. I honestly can't see the Allies winning without Russia. Russia's military and technology was just so dominant at the time and every time that the US felt they gained a step in the arms race, we found Russia right there with us. -Pat
No, you're wrong about this. If I know anything it's WWII; the US and UK would have defeated Germany and Japan without Russia. The US was off the scale in industrial power compared to everyone else. There would have been a larger battle in the west obiously with the Germans all there instead of the east. How would the Germans beat the US mostly and the UK in the West? The US alone would have ended up man-handling them, the supreme air power of the US and the RAF helping, and the foot soldiers better armed, and eventually better tanks. It would be mass killing for a while but Germany could never have beaten the Allies as long as the US was fightint. Not to even mention the US could have used the atomic bomb in Europe, too, if they wanted a quicker end. Now, if it was the UK and Russia, then yes, the Axis powers could and probably would have won. Germany would eventually have beaten down Britain and won the west, the Brits just couldn't keep fighting forever with the Luftwaffe bombing the hell out of lower England... a ground invasion would have been successful. Russia was already getting their asses handed to them like I said, like a 1 to 12 kill ratio in favor of the Germans, and the US technology gave the Russians the ability to move and launch rockets. Only their size let Russia beat the Germans, and with the western front caving in, and the Germans applying full attention to Moscow, the Reich would have sliced throgh the Soviets military, especially if they waited for a major offensive until Spring. So, bottom line, US + UK = victory. That's a fact. If you disagree, please don't blow me away with specifics again :rolleyes: and explain how the Axis could possibly have defeated the US and UK?

Also, what do you mean about Japan? The US pulverized Japan in the Pacific, and by the time the atom bombs were dropped, all Japan had left was Japan. We just didn't want to invade the Japanese mainland and loose a lot of guys on the beach; but as for the war going on longer.... it was over for all technical purposes.. Japan had nothing left, it was just a matter of getting them to officially cave in.

And Russia's technology and military was not dominant at all! The only reason they beat the Germans in the East (even with the US and UK hammering on the West and South) was because of their huge numbers.

The Russian soldier was probably the worst-armed and armored of the entire war, between the five or six major nations. The thing was, there were 20 of them for the better armed better trained German soldier. Also, Russia's technology wasn't great, and only got better after the war... after getting some huge injection's from Germany's technology. Russia during the war had poor tanks, poor guns, a poor air force that could not hold a dime next to the Luftwaffe, and relied on American-made trucks to transport their weaponry and rockets.. in fact, without the American trucks, who knows how long it would have taken them to seal of the Germans in the east. Russia had C- technology and A+ numbers. And they still would have lost if not for the American drive on the western front.

Quote:
wouldn't say that I 'admire' him, but lives of dictators just fascinate me. When one man or one small group of people can force an entire revolution or take control of a single country all by themselves, I tip my hats to them.
Then let's talk about Hitler. There was one man who took control of an entire nation and changed the face of the world. Tip you hat to him?

Quote:
And Ho Chi Minh? Come on now. The guy spoke 7 or 8 languages fluently! He is the only man who was ever able to defeat the US military!
Defeat the US military? Let's take a look.
US casualties in Vietnam war: 53,000
North Vietnamese (not on our side) casualties: 1.1 million

Yeah, they really let us have it. :rolleyes: Militarily, the US did bad for the US, but in reality the US kicked the hell out of Ho Chi Minh. The reason people like you look back and say we lost was because we pulled out before there was a conclusion, and after we left the North beat the South. The US military did not lose, has never lost, and will never loose. But, of course, Vietnam was a wrong war and there was no reason to be there. LBJ messed up.

Quote:
He is the only man who was ever able to defeat the US military!
It looks like you're proud of that, even though it's not true....

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 46: Joseph Stalin #96384
02/03/05 04:16 PM
02/03/05 04:16 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
I've been waiting to reply to this since I saw it at 7 this morning.

Obviously, we both have 2 different views on Russia's impact on the war, so I feel no need to further continue on about that because my opinion simply won't change.

Quote:
Then let's talk about Hitler. There was one man who took control of an entire nation and changed the face of the world. Tip you hat to him?
I tip my hat, not because I believe he was good man or did good things, but because he had the power to do the bad things he did.

But, wow, you may know your WW II, but when it comes to Vietnam, that is my territory, and you're way off of it now.

Quote:
Defeat the US military? Let's take a look.
US casualties in Vietnam war: 53,000
North Vietnamese (not on our side) casualties: 1.1 million
The US lost 56,000 soldiers. BTW, you fail to mention the rest of the Vietnamese we massacred. You're off by about 2 or 3 million. I'm curious, but what do casualties have to do with this? Russia lost more people in WW II than any other country and it was on the winning team.

Quote:
The reason people like you look back and say we lost was because we pulled out before there was a conclusion, and after we left the North beat the South.
In 1954, we entered what was known as Indochina to help the French keep their colony. It was divided at the 16th parallel, the north being communist and the south being run by democratically-elected President Ngo Dien Mi, who was no angel himself. I don't look back and say we lost because we pulled out. We lost because we didn't succeed. Our goal was to prevent Vietnam from becoming communist. To this day, Vietnam is still communist. We lost the Vietnam War.

Quote:
LBJ messed up.
Dwight Eisenhower took office in 1954, who just happens to be a Republican! And Nixon did so much better when he took office too. :rolleyes:

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 46: Joseph Stalin #96385
02/03/05 10:55 PM
02/03/05 10:55 PM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline
Capo
Quote:
Obviously, we both have 2 different views on Russia's impact on the war, so I feel no need to further continue on about that because my opinion simply won't change.
Obviously so. But, with this, there is fact and fiction, and I'm telling you the fact. Nevertheless I'd like to hear how the Axis would have won if Russia didn't help the US and UK. If you decide not to elaborate, I'll just take that as a sign that you accept defeat.

Quote:
I tip my hat, not because I believe he was good man or did good things, but because he had the power to do the bad things he did.
Yeah, he was smart, in fact probably a genius. He got his power and his empire. I still don't know why you tip your hat.

Quote:
The US lost 56,000 soldiers. BTW, you fail to mention the rest of the Vietnamese we massacred. You're off by about 2 or 3 million. I'm curious, but what do casualties have to do with this? Russia lost more people in WW II than any other country and it was on the winning team.
Source? My sources generally say 53,000... but whatever. We'll just say 56,00 for now.

I listed the Vietnamese fighting the US killed in battle, which was about 1.1 million... not civilian casualties. Russia was on the winning team because the US and UK won the war; one on one against Germany they lost, but in WWII's situation they still won so it doesn't matter. Poor analogy.

Quote:
In 1954, we entered what was known as Indochina to help the French keep their colony. It was divided at the 16th parallel, the north being communist and the south being run by democratically-elected President Ngo Dien Mi, who was no angel himself. I don't look back and say we lost because we pulled out. We lost because we didn't succeed. Our goal was to prevent Vietnam from becoming communist. To this day, Vietnam is still communist. We lost the Vietnam War.
Yeah yeah blah blah blah. You originally said that Ho Chi Minn and them beat the US military. I said, no they didn't. The US military totally kicked their ass inflicting over a million casualties, and politically we pulled out and missed the goal. The goal wasn't accomplished, but militarily the US won, and you said they didn't.

Quote:
Dwight Eisenhower took office in 1954, who just happens to be a Republican! And Nixon did so much better when he took office too.
Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected in 1952 and took office in 1953. Lyndon B. Johnson turned 16,000 soldiers in Vietnam into 500,000 soldiers in Vietnam, and in so doing transformed it from an assistance operation into a big war. After Nixon took office in 1969, throughout his time as President he pulled out more and more troops, eventually pulling them all out.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 46: Joseph Stalin #96386
02/03/05 11:56 PM
02/03/05 11:56 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Obviously so. But, with this, there is fact and fiction, and I'm telling you the fact.
Ah, so it's a fact that we would've beaten the Axis Powers WITHOUT Russia? :rolleyes: Why didn't you say so in the first place? :rolleyes: It's your OPINION, Signore.

Quote:
If you decide not to elaborate, I'll just take that as a sign that you accept defeat.
I guess that means you accepted debeat in the Cobain/Tupac thread.

Quote:
You originally said that Ho Chi Minn and them beat the US military. I said, no they didn't. The US military totally kicked their ass inflicting over a million casualties...
Ho Chi Minh's NVA and the VC beat the US military. Is that better?

Quote:
...we pulled out and missed the goal.
Quote:
The goal wasn't accomplished..
But we won the war, right? :rolleyes: :p

Quote:
Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected in 1952 and took office in 1953. Lyndon B. Johnson turned 16,000 soldiers in Vietnam into 500,000 soldiers in Vietnam, and in so doing transformed it from an assistance operation into a big war. After Nixon took office in 1969, throughout his time as President he pulled out more and more troops, eventually pulling them all out.
I think it's pretty safe to say that Eisenhower started the Vietnam War. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 46: Joseph Stalin #96387
02/03/05 11:59 PM
02/03/05 11:59 PM
Detroit, MI
Cancerkitty Offline
Underboss
Cancerkitty  Offline
Underboss
Detroit, MI
I'm not sure if I agree with you when you say "One on one against Germany [Russia] lost." By the end of the war in the eastern front the Soviet Union had just dealt Germany two very major defeats at the Battle of Stalingrad (despite the fact that the entire city was leveled) and at the Battle of Kursk. Hell, Russia completely demoralized Hitler's tank army at the latter. It wasn't just about overwelming the Germans with soldiers either; while Russia didn't really have a pot to piss in for the most part, they had some pretty damn good tanks.

However, would the Germans have defeated the Russians had the US not gotten involved on the Western Front... probably.

DelSquacho.com - All the world loves a clown, but not an evil clown.
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 46: Joseph Stalin #96388
02/04/05 05:30 PM
02/04/05 05:30 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The Soviet Union would never have become the industrialised superpower it did during and after World War II without Stalin.

A fascinating man made of pure evil; definitely more psychotic than Hitler ever was. It's interesting to study his rise from total (or thereabouts) darkness regarding fame; the man at the bottom secretly willing to do anything to get to the top. He did.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull