GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mafia101), 329 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,829
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
'Irish' usernames #95161
01/22/05 09:35 PM
01/22/05 09:35 PM
Ireland
Martin Sbalzi Offline OP
Button
Martin Sbalzi  Offline OP
Button
Ireland
I've noticed that some of Gangster BB's members usernames say 'Irish', even though their Location reads they are from elsewhere. Where do your roots descend from?

È la paura che tiene ci fedele.
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95162
01/22/05 09:37 PM
01/22/05 09:37 PM
The north
Scarface.1 Offline
Underboss
Scarface.1  Offline
Underboss
The north
care to explian which irish usernames you have seen?

Who's keyzer soze?

How are thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil. Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles you eunich jelly thou.
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95163
01/22/05 09:50 PM
01/22/05 09:50 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Sbalzi:
Whats with all of the Irish usernames? Most of the people occupying them's Location reads somewhere in the United States.
You mean the only Irish people in the world are in Ireland :rolleyes:

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95164
01/23/05 08:00 AM
01/23/05 08:00 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

I'm going to defend Sbalzi because I know where he's coming from and what he means. There's a tendency for people who are part Irish, or Italian or whatever in America for them to believe they're still that nationality. Sometimes it goes back generations. In America their background is part of their identity. Outside of America you are just 'American'. Not Irish-American or Italian-American. Not a lot of people in Ireland would class second and third generation Irish people in America as Irish.

Same goes for me. I have a full blooded Irish grandad and Scottish mother, but I'm English and no one from either Ireland and Scotland would see me any differently.

For Sopranos fans this is seen in the series 2 episode 'Commandatori'. These Wiseguys still think they're really Italian but no one in Italy cares. It's not because they're stupid characters, for example - Paulie, it's because they're American.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95165
01/23/05 08:15 AM
01/23/05 08:15 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I only know of two irishman's on the boards

Irishman12
The Irish mafia 28

If thats what your thinking of.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95166
01/23/05 08:28 AM
01/23/05 08:28 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Turi -

The U.S. is a relatively young country, and the bulk of our European immigration occurred in (only) the last 150 years. Its more natural for us to think of our ancestors' homelands as our "background".

Political correctness aside, nobody really refers to themselves as Irish-American or Italian-American, etc. They're simply Irish or Italian.

You Europeans have had a much longer history and look at your backgrounds differently.

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95167
01/23/05 08:42 AM
01/23/05 08:42 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Oh yeah I understand and appreciate that SC and I hope I cause no offense. I just wanted to eloborate on what I though Sbalzi meant with this thread. Maybe the way he went about creating this thread could have been done differently. I just think it's an interesting culture difference and offered my point of view.

Personally I think it's weird when I see something in America mentioned because of their background. For example, (first person in my head) Bill O Reilly mentioning he's Irish making a point of something. Over here, something like that would hardly be mentioned or even noticed unless there was an accent. And I think this comes down to Americans wanting to maintain their own identity.

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95168
01/23/05 10:39 AM
01/23/05 10:39 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I never realized Turi, that other countries felt that way. Don't get around much. :p

Like SC mentioned many of our ancestors immigrated to America, and in my case, my father and both sets of grandparents. Although I am American and my loyalty of course is with America, my Italian roots are deeply imbeded and a great part of who I am. I was raised to take great pride in my heritage. Many customs/beliefs that I was raised with come from the "old country".

However, as time goes on, I'm sure, as with my children, and their children after, sadly they will slowly diminish. Eventually I think, everyone is going to have roots from more than just one or two countries and not have one "specific" homeland, so to speak.

To many Americans, I think, having that "connection" is a sense of pride, no matter where there roots are. I never say I am Italian American either, but for me, to not have a connection to my roots, would seem so empty.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95169
01/23/05 11:23 AM
01/23/05 11:23 AM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Turi- I agree with you. I always wonder why people my age insist on saying they are Italian or whatever. Usually they can't speak a word of Italian and don't have a clue about the heritage or history of the country.

TIS seems to have a deep understanding of her family's heritage and it seems that her family really celebrates their background. That I completely respect. It's when people don't have a clue that annoys me. It seems like saying your Italian was the cool thing to do where I grew up.

I've always considered myself an American. My great-grandparents are from Italy and Germany, but I've never stepped a foot in either country, I don't know any of the languages, and I couldent tell you a thing about their history either than what I've learned about WWII in school. So I consider myself an American more than anything else.

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95170
01/23/05 11:34 AM
01/23/05 11:34 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Mind you, you'd think the Irish would be a lot more sympathetic about those that are related to the ones that left their country during the potato famine.

But you will pay the price for being a picky eater.

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95171
01/23/05 11:40 AM
01/23/05 11:40 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
I am 1/4 Irish.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95172
01/23/05 03:43 PM
01/23/05 03:43 PM
Ireland
Pax Soprana Offline
Button
Pax Soprana  Offline
Button
Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Mind you, you'd think the Irish would be a lot more sympathetic about those that are related to the ones that left their country during the potato famine.

Why? The ones that stayed behind had it harder. Over a million people left Ireland then and sure they had a hard life in America but an even larger number died at home.

Mind you, you'd think the British wouldnt have started the fucking famine in the first place.

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand, alright?"
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95173
01/23/05 09:21 PM
01/23/05 09:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I chose this name because I'm about 80-85% Irish and I'm damned proud of it. Yes I am born an American, but does that mean that you can't be proud of your roots? Of course not. I understand and see your point about people outside the US seeing us as Americans, but I guess we in the States know we are Americans and see ourselves as our roots. It's more of a pride thing more than anything I think

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95174
01/23/05 09:39 PM
01/23/05 09:39 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'm wondering if this "nationality" thing isn't really just a matter of how one was brought up and/or how much they know about their roots and background. I know many people who don't know what nationality they are, or they "think" their this or that. It seems so strange that they wouldn't and like Krlea mentioned, many of them do just consider themselves American.

There have been a few times (very few here in CA), I'll find out that someone is of Italian decent, and I'll say (in my best California accent :p ) "Oh my God, so am I." ...and the other person doesn't really think it's a big deal.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95175
01/23/05 11:58 PM
01/23/05 11:58 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
I'm half irish.

You talkin' to me?
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95176
01/24/05 04:21 AM
01/24/05 04:21 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Honestly, as an European, I consider the American people American! But when it comes to a deeper meaning of people own identity, I'm so happy to see that a lot of Americans here on the board are proud of their own roots -- as far as I'm concerned, being Italian, I was happily surprised to realize how much the Italian Americans here on the board love Italy and are proud of their Italian roots. But whatever your roots are --Italian, Irish, German, English etc..--I think that your past history must be remembered and cherished as something important, something enriching you as human beings. Of course you are Americans in your heart and passport, but whatever nationality your ancestors were, please keep on remembering them. It's remembering who they were that helps you know better who you are now. As for me, when I read TIS (for example) talking about her Italian family and the way her relatives grown up her in the proud respect of Italian traditions and culture, I'm not ashamed to tell you that I feel a little bit moved. It's something touching for me to see this spiritual bridge between our two countries being still strong. When I think of our immigrants who left Italy two centuries ago for a better future, I don't know....it's so beautiful to see that this link is not broken. On the contrary, Italy has a special place in Italian Americans hearts and so Italian Americans have in mine. Of course there is a risk that this link will be diminished as time goes by, but it's up to you not to let this happen.

PS. I wish I could speak English better to wholly explain my inner feelings. It's not easy to do this in a language that is not your own language.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95177
01/24/05 09:57 AM
01/24/05 09:57 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I chose this name because I'm about 80-85% Irish
You've mentioned that before and I'm always intrigued how you got to that percentage, it doesn't make sense. Full, Half or Quarter Irish would make sense based on parentage.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pax Soprana:
[quote]Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
[b] Mind you, you'd think the Irish would be a lot more sympathetic about those that are related to the ones that left their country during the potato famine.

Why? The ones that stayed behind had it harder. Over a million people left Ireland then and sure they had a hard life in America but an even larger number died at home.
[/b][/quote]I'm not debating who had it harder, it was a tough period for all your countrymen at the time. It's just things like that usually bring people together or totally tear them apart.

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95178
01/24/05 01:00 PM
01/24/05 01:00 PM
Ireland
Pax Soprana Offline
Button
Pax Soprana  Offline
Button
Ireland
I'm not debating who had it harder, it was a tough period for all your countrymen at the time. It's just things like that usually bring people together or totally tear them apart.

Sorry, I took your meaning wrong

Has any of you gone back to your original countries to search out ancestors? We get Americans here all the time, looking for leprechauns

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand, alright?"
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95179
01/24/05 01:13 PM
01/24/05 01:13 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Turi- 85% is reasonable.

his father is 100% and his mother is 75% (just an example)

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95180
01/24/05 03:02 PM
01/24/05 03:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] I chose this name because I'm about 80-85% Irish
You've mentioned that before and I'm always intrigued how you got to that percentage, it doesn't make sense. Full, Half or Quarter Irish would make sense based on parentage. [/b][/quote]Well it's not an exact science, but my ma is 100% Irish and I believe that my father is 50% Irish. That's what they've always told me, that I'm 80-85% Irish, so I don't know. I'm prodominatly Irish I'll tell you that.

Re: 'Irish' usernames #95181
01/24/05 08:21 PM
01/24/05 08:21 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
<---<---<---<---< My username is Irish, what's your point :p

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: 'Irish' usernames #95182
01/25/05 05:14 PM
01/25/05 05:14 PM
Ireland
Martin Sbalzi Offline OP
Button
Martin Sbalzi  Offline OP
Button
Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I chose this name because I'm about 80-85% Irish and I'm damned proud of it. Yes I am born an American, but does that mean that you can't be proud of your roots? Of course not. I understand and see your point about people outside the US seeing us as Americans, but I guess we in the States know we are Americans and see ourselves as our roots. It's more of a pride thing more than anything I think
It's nice that you're proud of your heritage. I read somewhere that the amount of Irish-Americans in America called themselves Irish has decreased.

È la paura che tiene ci fedele.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull