GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 61 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,759
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
China vs America #94837
01/20/05 08:42 AM
01/20/05 08:42 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline OP
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline OP
S
Underboss
I was on my way back to the office from a meeting when I heard part of a very interesting debate on the radio. The question up for debate was "How long will it take for China to overtake the USA as the most powerful nation on earth?" Any thoughts??

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: China vs America #94838
01/20/05 09:04 AM
01/20/05 09:04 AM
Ireland
Pax Soprana Offline
Button
Pax Soprana  Offline
Button
Ireland
Its hard to tell with the way they're so secretive but unless something big happens I'd say 50 years. But by then maybe the EU might be more powerful as well. That could be good for Ireland

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand, alright?"
Re: China vs America #94839
01/20/05 09:50 AM
01/20/05 09:50 AM
Thailand/Brazil
Vito The Godfather Offline
Underboss
Vito The Godfather  Offline
Underboss
Thailand/Brazil
Nah, I don't think the communist would catch up with USA.

"It is the mind that makes someone wise or ignorant, slave or free."
Re: China vs America #94840
01/20/05 09:53 AM
01/20/05 09:53 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Vito The Godfather:
Nah, I don't think the communist would catch up with USA.
I beg to differ. China is expected to prosper as the internet and world wide web expand. They will benefit the most off of e-commerce and will eventually pass the US. Give Japan a little time too. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: China vs America #94841
01/20/05 11:15 AM
01/20/05 11:15 AM
Thailand/Brazil
Vito The Godfather Offline
Underboss
Vito The Godfather  Offline
Underboss
Thailand/Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
China is expected to prosper as the internet and world wide web expand. They will benefit the most off of e-commerce and will eventually pass the US. Give Japan a little time too. -Pat
Althoguh their economy may have been growing rapidly since the 1980's, China is still a poor country. More than half of their population is living on the rural areas, farmers and that.

"It is the mind that makes someone wise or ignorant, slave or free."
Re: China vs America #94842
01/20/05 11:37 AM
01/20/05 11:37 AM
S
Senza Mama Offline OP
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline OP
S
Underboss
The Chinese economy is growing very quickly, almost 10% per year, and maybe that's too quick. My view is that by say 2050 China will be a financial super power with an economy greater than that of USA. But you have to remember that China has nearly 5 times the population of the USA so individual wealth will probably lag behind the US. However in political terms it will not have the influence that the USA has. It is still fairly inward looking, it does not have any imperialistic plans other than holding Tibet and maybe Taiwan. No-one wants to import the Chinese political system and I rather think the status quo will continue until the system peters out naturally in one or two generations time. It is also worth bearing in mind that as previous posters have pointed out about 800mill of the 1.3bill population live in the rural areas and are very poor by even Chinese urban standards.

Re: China vs America #94843
01/20/05 12:19 PM
01/20/05 12:19 PM
Denmark
Henne Montana Offline
Wiseguy
Henne Montana  Offline
Wiseguy
Denmark
The United states wouldent stand a chance against China.. The Chinesse People have a much more honorebel way of figthing. An american soldier would never make a kamakazi attack, or if an american have the chance of running, i think he will run. As far as i know the Chineese people are Communist. Thoese people are brainwashed an will do anything to win.. i dont mean to disrespect the U.s but this is just an opinion on the subject.... An by the way, the E.U would never help you guys.. We dont own you anything, its the other way around.

Once i got out...They Pull me back in!!!
Re: China vs America #94844
01/20/05 02:28 PM
01/20/05 02:28 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by Henne Montana:
The United states wouldent stand a chance against China.. The Chinesse People have a much more honorebel way of figthing. An american soldier would never make a kamakazi attack, or if an american have the chance of running, i think he will run.
You think suicide bombing/fighting is honorable? You think American soldiers are cowards for wanting to stay alive?

Quote:
As far as i know the Chineese people are Communist. Thoese people are brainwashed an will do anything to win..
China is loosely communist, there has never really been a true communist megapower. China has been around for 5000 years, they are doing something right (or wrong depending on your point of view and position) despite the CCP. They WILL be a force to be reckoned with, particularly in fields of science and technology (only a decade behind and gaining ground).

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: China vs America #94845
01/20/05 02:53 PM
01/20/05 02:53 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Henne Montana:
An by the way, the E.U would never help you guys.. We dont own you anything, its the other way around.
Can you explain that?

Re: China vs America #94846
01/20/05 04:14 PM
01/20/05 04:14 PM
Ireland
Pax Soprana Offline
Button
Pax Soprana  Offline
Button
Ireland
France helped America out in your war of independence and then all you hear is a load of abuse over Iraq. Germans too. They're the 2 biggest powers in the EU and can pretty much hold sway over the rest of us.

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand, alright?"
Re: China vs America #94847
01/20/05 05:03 PM
01/20/05 05:03 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Define Power. Then perhaps we'll start getting better answers.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: China vs America #94848
01/20/05 06:58 PM
01/20/05 06:58 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I'm not really sure what the question is. Are you talking about takin gover our country or just prospering over us economically? As far as taking us over, no way. I'd like to see them even try to get close to our shore.

Economically, sure maybe but considering their Communist State, what does it really matter? They don't reach out to the international community like we do. They don't have the political influence we do. What is power without respect? What exactly are they going to do with more power and how will it influence us?

Re: China vs America #94849
01/20/05 07:21 PM
01/20/05 07:21 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
Originally posted by Krlea:
I'd like to see them even try to get close to our shore.
Didn't China recently ask Cuba to allow them to have a base there? :p

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: China vs America #94850
01/20/05 07:52 PM
01/20/05 07:52 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[QUOTE]Didn't China recently ask Cuba to allow them to have a base there? :p
Yes and besides the fact that we also have a base there, we have our largest Submarine base a few hours away. Thier only hope is to launch at us from 90 miles away, which if I was Castro, I would never allow b/c the retaliation is too great, but then again I'm definetly not Castro. Who knows whats going on in his mind.

On a side note, I hate that smilely sticking its tounge out. I can never tell if the poster is trying to be cute or trying to be an asshole. It gets me all sorts of annoyed.

Re: China vs America #94851
01/20/05 10:12 PM
01/20/05 10:12 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Senza Mama:
I was on my way back to the office from a meeting when I heard part of a very interesting debate on the radio. The question up for debate was "How long will it take for China to overtake the USA as the most powerful nation on earth?" Any thoughts??
Most powerful in what way?
I don't think you mean military strength.
manufacturing?
Consumer purchacing?
What did you mean?

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: China vs America #94852
01/20/05 10:37 PM
01/20/05 10:37 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
manufacturing?
Consumer purchacing?
What did you mean?
China's economic growth is full speed ahead right now. And as this grows, its military and political prestige grows along with it. At the very least, China WILL challenge the US's position as the dominant power in Asia-Pacific. It will likely become another world super power and thus US will not be the only one.

There are lots of indicators that China is expanding its military power, influence (EU supports them), and doing everything to expand its economic power. To dismiss them is silly (as just because they are "communist").

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: China vs America #94853
01/20/05 10:47 PM
01/20/05 10:47 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
China is hardly communist anymore, not in an economic sense. They're moving quickly towards a very open market, although you can't say the same about their government.

At any rate, China will certainly become a major power in world affairs, although in my opinion not as quickly as many seem to think. The economic growth they're achieving now can't be upheld in the long term, since much of this growth is only occuring in isolated areas, mostly the cities, while the rural areas remain relatively backwards. Their enormous population will be another problem to confront, and I suspect that eventually the ruling party will lose its grip on power as calls for democracy grow stronger.

Re: China vs America #94854
01/20/05 10:59 PM
01/20/05 10:59 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
and what about all the problems that come with this change and growth? I am sure it will not all be roses.

"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Re: China vs America #94855
01/20/05 11:06 PM
01/20/05 11:06 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Quote:
and what about all the problems that come with this change and growth? I am sure it will not all be roses.
Where have you been, FS?

China currently is home to over 1 billion people, or 1/6 of the world's population. While people may not individually prosper as much as those in the US, China will eventually have a better economy. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: China vs America #94856
01/21/05 12:11 AM
01/21/05 12:11 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:

While people may not individually prosper as much as those in the US, China will eventually have a better economy. -Pat
Are you saying that China will have a better economy then the US will have or are you saying that China will have a better economy then it (China) has NOW?

Re: China vs America #94857
01/21/05 02:19 AM
01/21/05 02:19 AM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline
Capo
China will never match the US. They have too huge a population to even begin to clean up the extreme poverty, they don't have anywhere near as varied and plentiful natural resources, they're decades behind on scientific and militaristic technological development, and guess what, the US isn't slowing down at all. Japan will never be anything like they were before WWII. They have a limited economy, although very successful; still, limited. They have no military as the US provides their defense. I don't see any Asian nations rising above the rest to actually compete with the US. China might overtake some western European nations, perhaps.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: China vs America #94858
01/21/05 05:43 AM
01/21/05 05:43 AM
S
Senza Mama Offline OP
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline OP
S
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
China will never match the US. They have too huge a population to even begin to clean up the extreme poverty, they don't have anywhere near as varied and plentiful natural resources, they're decades behind on scientific and militaristic technological development, and guess what, the US isn't slowing down at all. I don't see any Asian nations rising above the rest to actually compete with the US.
Great food though

Re: China vs America #94859
01/21/05 05:53 AM
01/21/05 05:53 AM
S
Senza Mama Offline OP
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline OP
S
Underboss
Quote:
[/qb]
manufacturing?
Consumer purchacing?
What did you mean?
[/QUOTE]

Well the original question was posed by the radio programme but I take your point fs, it's a bit like when people say that the USA is the "greatest" nation on earth, what exactly does that mean??

Om manufacturing they certainly could outstrip USA in maybe 30-50 years time. On individual consumer purchasing, probably not, too big a population. Militarily, probably not. China is a nuclear power and has a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. It has enough military strength to defend itself but for the moment the effort seems to be on developing the economy..

Re: China vs America #94860
01/21/05 08:03 AM
01/21/05 08:03 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Patrick:
[b]

While people may not individually prosper as much as those in the US, China will eventually have a better economy. -Pat
Are you saying that China will have a better economy then the US will have or are you saying that China will have a better economy then it (China) has NOW? [/b][/quote]It will have a better economy then the US will have.

Re: China vs America #94861
01/21/05 04:49 PM
01/21/05 04:49 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Well, based on the number of people there are over there, and figuring that many have next to nothing or would fit into what we call our low wage earners over here. I would say that it would be dam hard to compare the two counties.

Sure they may demand and need the use of billions of tons of resources as their people start to want to bring themselves up to what Americans have had for many years already.

Of course that many people would have a massive consumption if they all called for goods, but will they? They haven't in the past, in fact many still live in a rather simple lifestyle with little of no special needs or for that matter a way of affording them.

One thing is for sure, that China or should we say the pacific rim is the area for all kinds of sales in the future. But look back and see how much we have moved forward in 50 years. I don't see us sitting around for the next fifty either.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull