GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, Captbony1999), 393 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,068
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,368
Posts1,059,470
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 104 of 319 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92887
02/04/06 10:30 PM
02/04/06 10:30 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

2001: A Space Odyssey - (Stanley Kubrick;1968;UK/USA)
In 1999 a monolith is found on the moon that sends a signal to Jupiter. In 2001 a mission is set to investigate Jupiter until the computer HAL 9000 causes problems.
One of the best films ever made, and I say this referring to the ten best. Much of this feels like pure cinema, and in that way it feels like a silent film with the lack of dialogue in many of it's scenes. I thought this would be a long film I wouldn't enjoy as much as Kubrick's other films but I was hooked to the screen. It's amazing how a decade before Star Wars, this looks better and is more realistic to space. The final segment with the stargate journey is one of the most captivating scenes in cinema. Kubrick's most meticulous film, and it comes out as his best. I can't even come up with any criticism. I love the scene inside HAL's "brain."

I'm gonna play Pink Floyd's song "Echoes" to the "Jupiter & Beyond the Infinite" segment of the film, which supposedly synchronizes. (Pink Floyd declined to compose music for the film, though they later regretted it)

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92888
02/04/06 10:59 PM
02/04/06 10:59 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Kill Bill, Vol. 1 (2003) ***/5

The Bride wakes up after a long coma. The baby that she carried before entering the coma is gone. The only thing on her mind is to have revenge on the assassination team that betrayed her - a team she was once part of.

A fantastic film about cold, simple revenge. The atr direction was fantastic, really giving you an asian/anime type of feel. The anime scenes themselves really fit into the film well. The dialouge is also great, all of this really being a characteristic of Tarantino's films. Uma Thurman is great in another Tarantino film, this time as The Bride. The score is also amazing. The only thing that sucks is that I gotta catch Kill Bill Vol. 2 sometime to find out what happens.

Another excellent Tarantino film.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92889
02/05/06 01:04 AM
02/05/06 01:04 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Doom * 1/2

As big of a wrestling fan as I am I must admit that this was my first ever Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson movie I've seen. I think he did a good job as well and think he could make it big given the right role/movie (other than Doom of course) This wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be and it was nice to see Rosamund Pike in there, I haven't seen her since Die Another Day.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92890
02/05/06 04:26 AM
02/05/06 04:26 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thunderball ***

The action seemed to get better in this one and I think Sean's accent seems to fade more and more as the films go on. However, I did like the fact they used the same villian as they did in From Russia With Love. Hopefully we find out who that is rather soon.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92891
02/05/06 05:57 AM
02/05/06 05:57 AM
The free Iraq
Aziatic Offline
Underboss
Aziatic  Offline
Underboss
The free Iraq
Ran

After the "Seven Samurai" and "Rashomon", this is the third Kurosawa movie Ive seen and was left speechless again. This is a movie only Kurosawa could do. Incredible directing and beautiful set designs and colors and of course the great acting of especially Tatsuya Nakadai make this movie a masterpiece. Ran is an adaption of Shakespeare's "King Lear" set in Japan in the 16th century. The war sequence in the middle of the movie is propably the best Ive ever seen, the beautiful shots, combined with sad music makes you want to rewatch the scene over and over again. Not to mention the sadness and tragedy where especially one scene brought tears to my eyes. I became a Kurosawa fan after seeing the "Seven Samurai", now after another 2 movies he became my favorite Director along with Scorsese. I'll propably watch "Ikiru" next.

I could go on and on praising this movie. This is great cinema. A masterpiece.

10/10

Quote of the Moment:

"Fredo - you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever."
Michael Corleone

My DVD Collection | My Showroom
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92892
02/05/06 12:00 PM
02/05/06 12:00 PM
Austin, TX
suspect_5 Offline
Underboss
suspect_5  Offline
Underboss
Austin, TX
Doom

Yes I know what I should expect when I see a movie based off of a video game, I know that “greatness” is not something I’m going to be experiencing during the course of it’s run. I would find it highly suspect if I ever saw a VG based movie win any award that wasn’t Golden Popcorn, because that what these movies are, Popcorn-ass-bubblegum-fluff-entertainment. With that in mind…

I spent the entire movie wondering why the fuck they named it after the VG Doom. Did you ever play Doom? Well I did and you know what there was no “team”! It was you a freaking pistol and what ever you could manage to find along the way. Also I don’t know about you but when I played Doom I was shooting fucking demon scum from hell. Now in the movie Doom it is some type of mutant, who have been exposed to some 24th chromosome and mutate. They even have lines in the movie about the chromosome unlocking evil or some shit, you want to know what unlocks evil pretty damn good…A GATE TO MOTHERFUCKING HELL, YOU KNOW LIKE YOU WOULD FIND IN SAY DOOM! I guess by now you might be detecting some bias on my part, I would say that I’d try to restrain myself…but I won’t. You want to know what this movie has in common with its namesake; it’s one saving grace- it has a B.F.G. otherwise know as a Big Fucking Gun. Oh sure you might see on a computer screen that B.F.G stands for “Bio-Force Gun” or some shit but ask any Doom fan, any real fan…it’s a Big Fucking Gun.
Ok sure I’ll take back the “no team” comment I understand some concessions must be made to translate the VG to Film, especially since only one of them survives. (I swear to Christ if one persons says anything about spoilers and the movie Doom – I will find you and give you a mushroom tattoo) But the other things are basic to the movie, sure I get that shooting “mutants” isn’t really that much of a stretch from shooting “demons” in that your still shooting “monsters” and that the mechanic is still the same. It seems little but picky to bitch over something like that given that I already understand that there are concessions to be made if the property is to translate from one medium to anther but come on. Think merely on the connotation of the words listen to it; say it out loud “mutant”. Now what did you think of? The X-men? The Toxic Avenger? Some gross and hideously deformed humanoid that used to be your aunt? To Mutate is to change that usually means that the monsters aren’t that far removed from humanity, like tragic figures that due to circumstances beyond there control have been changed into monsters, their biology now betraying them forcing them to go on basic instincts, predatory reptilian brain impulses and shit. Now say the word “demon” any trace of tragedy there? No more like pure evil images of blood and fire, of deceit and corruption. Now were talking intelligent creatures of a black dominion that’s sole purpose their only reason for existence is to feast on your flesh and devour your soul. So what sounds like a better bad guy to you? It’s like taking Tom Cruise’s character in Collateral and making him a thief instead of an assassin, I mean he’d still be forcing Jamie to drive him around and commit crimes but it wouldn’t be murder it just changes it.

Score: D-
P.S. – Yeah I know how could I write two whole paragraphs, lengthy ones at that bashing a movie and not give it an F? For the reasons I didn’t talk about. The Rock is nothing if not charismatic and fun to watch, I really like some of the team members, the aforementioned BFG, and for the reference to the creator of Doom that I was the only one in the room to get.

--------------------------------------
This signature has been sanatized for your protection - The Staff
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92893
02/05/06 12:04 PM
02/05/06 12:04 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Aziatic:
[b]Ran

After the "Seven Samurai" and "Rashomon", this is the third Kurosawa movie Ive seen and was left speechless again. This is a movie only Kurosawa could do. Incredible directing and beautiful set designs and colors and of course the great acting of especially Tatsuya Nakadai make this movie a masterpiece. Ran is an adaption of Shakespeare's "King Lear" set in Japan in the 16th century. The war sequence in the middle of the movie is propably the best Ive ever seen, the beautiful shots, combined with sad music makes you want to rewatch the scene over and over again. Not to mention the sadness and tragedy where especially one scene brought tears to my eyes. I became a Kurosawa fan after seeing the "Seven Samurai", now after another 2 movies he became my favorite Director along with Scorsese. I'll propably watch "Ikiru" next.

I could go on and on praising this movie. This is great cinema. A masterpiece.

10/10 [/b]
That image you posted alone makes me want to see that movie.

Absolutely gorgeous.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92894
02/05/06 01:17 PM
02/05/06 01:17 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Wedding Crashers

Some funny moments. Vince Vaughn is funnier than I thought going into this movie. The dinner scene, especially with the grandmother and also the reaction Vaughn had to the "treatment" under the table were laugh-out-loud.

Not as good as 40 Year Old Virgin IMO, but a good rental nonetheless.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92895
02/05/06 04:35 PM
02/05/06 04:35 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The New World
Terrence Malick
2005 US (2nd time; big screen)
The first English settlers in America find themselves at odds with the Natives, and are saved by the rival king's youngest daughter, who falls in love with Captain John Smith.
Thoroughly captivating stuff from a meticulous artist; exploring themes of love, nature and the contrast between two civilisations, one free and content at its own introversion, the other curious and explorative, and both primitive in their own way, it is a beautiful work from start to finish. A period piece which feels like it could have been made before Cinema existed or even some time in the future, and a reconstruction of historical myth more interesting as a fictional work, it is a remarkably complex and warmly compelling film.

Fararishtay kifti rost (Angel on the Right)
Jamshed Usmonov
2002 Italy/France/Switzerland/Tajikistan (1st time)
A hardman who returns to his village home in Tajikistan after many years in Russian jail, to find his mother is ailing and the local mafia want their debts repaying.
Austere examination of acceptance of Fate, with minimal dialogue and sombre visuals. It has a rather abstract way of storytelling, with a kind of assumed understanding between its characters and the audience; as a result, it is a direct contrast to Hollywood narrative, while also requiring much patience in order to take hold.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92896
02/06/06 02:46 AM
02/06/06 02:46 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Saw II ***

My 2nd time watching this film and I enjoyed it more than I did in theaters. I think it's as good if not superior to the original. Fresh, original and suspensful. I see no reason why the third should be any different (slated for October of this year).

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92897
02/06/06 01:13 PM
02/06/06 01:13 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

History of the World: Part I - (Mel Brooks;1981;USA)
A satire on the world including the dawn of man, Roman Empire, Spanish Inquisition, and French Revolution.
Yet another hilarious film from Brooks. This has been criticized as being a bunch of random sketches but ultimately it works and it proves to be a very enjoyable film. I doubt anyone can watch this without a smile on their face. The cast was great from Brooks, Hines, DeLuise, and even Orson Welles as the narrator. Not as good as Blazing Saddles but still great.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92898
02/06/06 01:56 PM
02/06/06 01:56 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
DV, glad you dug HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART I.

Jews in Space!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92899
02/06/06 11:25 PM
02/06/06 11:25 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Yeah Ronnie. Knight jumps queen! Bishop jumps queen! Pawns jump queen! Gangbang!

The Producers - (Mel Brooks;1968;USA)
A producer and his new accountant plan on making money by making the biggest flop ever, "Springtime For Hitler."
I was disappointed with this. I thought this was going to be Brooks' best film from what I heard but unfortunately it isn't. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good comedy and memorable at that, but it didn't strike as much of a chord as Blazing Saddles or The History of the World: Part I did. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are great in their quirky roles, but otherwise, I was hoping for a great comedy.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92900
02/07/06 12:41 AM
02/07/06 12:41 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Nah, I think Brooks' best is his most ambitious: YOUNG FRAKENSTEIN

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92901
02/07/06 02:55 AM
02/07/06 02:55 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Trainspotting ***

An excellent movie on heroin addcition. The style and direction are just outstanding. There is not much of a plot, but some of the images will remain in the mind for a long time.
Note:a) There are some nasty scenes, if you hate watching disgusting stuff, avoid this one.
b)Have subtitles on. Eventhough the movie is in english, some of the dialogue is tough to follow, as the accent is scottish.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92902
02/07/06 03:38 AM
02/07/06 03:38 AM
Austin, TX
suspect_5 Offline
Underboss
suspect_5  Offline
Underboss
Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:

b)Have subtitles on. Eventhough the movie is in english, some of the dialogue is tough to follow, as the accent is scottish.
Hey look Irish someone else agree's with you.
No offence I just always snicker when someone says that they can't understand Scottish or Irish accents, hell I've even heard people say they can't understand British accents. I've just never had the problem I guess...but Pikey's (Snatch) should have subtitles not even I can grasp that language.

--------------------------------------
This signature has been sanatized for your protection - The Staff
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92903
02/07/06 05:14 AM
02/07/06 05:14 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
Glad I'm not the only 1

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92904
02/07/06 07:26 AM
02/07/06 07:26 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Hell, my mum's Scottish and I can't understand her!

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92905
02/07/06 08:16 AM
02/07/06 08:16 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Hell, my mum's Scottish and I can't understand her!
See you Turi...

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92906
02/07/06 08:43 AM
02/07/06 08:43 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

I canne believe it, I see you, speedy. Go hame and close the windies.

Except a true Scot would swear two or three times in those sentences.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92907
02/07/06 04:01 PM
02/07/06 04:01 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Badlands
Terrence Malick
1973 US (2nd time)
A garbage worker and fifteen-year-old magazine addict fall in love and go on a killing spree across the Dakota plains.
Strangely beautiful tale, haunting and lingering in its visual sumptuousness and deadpan handling of violence; a comment on social alienation, the difference between the wild and society, and the myth placed around cool, rebellious figures with seemingly something to say, though they communicate by aimless killing.

Saving Private Ryan
Steven Spielberg
1998 US (Nth time)
Eight soldiers are sent behind enemy lines to rescue a private whose brothers have been killed in combat.
A bravura example of the director's talent and exuberance; the washed-out greens and browns, one minute soaked with rain, the next dry with rubble, and the rumbling sounds of a not-so-distant war are terrifically brought together. The opening and closing scenes in the graveyard may hurt it, but it is no less a masterpiece.

Schindler’s List
Steven Spielberg
1993 US (2nd time)
In WW II, an Austrian businessman saves 1,100 Jews from Nazi concentration camps.
The black and white cinematography masks the differences between the goodies and the baddies here, a complex film about an ultimately righteous man doing good after initial prosperity at labourers' expenses. It is at its best when Neeson and Fiennes, two powerhouse characters with differences of opinion despite being on the same side, fill the screen together. An important, remarkable film, superbly handled and controlled.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92908
02/07/06 05:30 PM
02/07/06 05:30 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by suspect_5:
[quote]Originally posted by svsg:
[b]
Hey look Irish someone else agree's with you.
No offence I just always snicker when someone says that they can't understand Scottish or Irish accents, hell I've even heard people say they can't understand British accents. I've just never had the problem I guess...but Pikey's (Snatch) should have subtitles not even I can grasp that language. [/b][/quote]I'm the same way... I've never had trouble with accents. Although I always reccomend to friends that they watch Fear and Loathing with subtitles when they watch it the SECOND time. You miss so many jokes and great lines the first time, that get lost in the excitement and in the mumbled dialouge. Although, aside from that, the film should never be seen again with subtitles... I think I'd rather they just read the book, which is when I picked up on lines that I couldn't make out in Depp/Del Toro's mumbled dialouge (ala, "Dogs fucked the Pope, no fault of mine!... I crack up at that everytime, just knowing what he is saying, and everyone else in the room just glances at me, as if they didn't catch what he said).

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92909
02/07/06 05:35 PM
02/07/06 05:35 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
LLC, who's in the avatar of. It looks like Har Mar Superstar.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92910
02/07/06 06:00 PM
02/07/06 06:00 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
When A Stranger Calls **

Actually better than I expected. I have been wanting to see this since I'd initally seen the trailer and I thought it might be horrible. I've seen so many bad suspense/horror films on DVD that I just thank God I never paid to watch them. I felt this could have the potential to do just that to me but I did enjoy it. Not really corny or surprising "the calls are coming from inside the house," but I feel they handled it well. Why didn't I ever have a babysitter who looked like Camilla Belle?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92911
02/07/06 07:41 PM
02/07/06 07:41 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
When A Stranger Calls **
Why does the trailer remind me of Panic Room and Hostage?

The lead actresses' performance looks horrid from the preview as well, especially in the delivery of "Stop calling...you freak!" :p

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92912
02/07/06 07:43 PM
02/07/06 07:43 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I went and saw The Ringer the other day. Kind of stupid. Funny. But stupid.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92913
02/07/06 08:02 PM
02/07/06 08:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] When A Stranger Calls **
Why does the trailer remind me of Panic Room and Hostage?

The lead actresses' performance looks horrid from the preview as well, especially in the delivery of "Stop calling...you freak!" :p [/b][/quote]I didn't think of those movies when I saw the trailer but yes her delivery is a bit off I will admit. Let's just say that the best thing going for her is her, um, "assets" shall we say? I don't think you have to worry too much about her winning any MTV movie awards anytime soon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92914
02/07/06 09:20 PM
02/07/06 09:20 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
LLC, who's in the avatar of. It looks like Har Mar Superstar.
It's Gavin Rossdale. You may remember a band called Bush, from the early/mid-90s... He was their frontman. Now he just seems to randomly show up on the red carpet as Gwen Stafani's man-whore... Why he married her, I'll never know.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92915
02/07/06 10:43 PM
02/07/06 10:43 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Can anyone (Capo, etc.) direct me to the new Movie Fan boards, wherever they are?

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #92916
02/07/06 11:10 PM
02/07/06 11:10 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Page 104 of 319 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 318 319