GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 280 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,026
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,313
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M. Night Shyamlan #88929
01/10/05 08:52 PM
01/10/05 08:52 PM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline OP
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline OP
Capo
Anyone like this director's work? He's made those films with twists... Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, most recently The Village, which comes out on DVD tomorrow. I enjoy his films.

I would rank them:
1. Signs
2. The Village
3. Unbreakable
4. The Sixth Sense

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88930
01/10/05 09:35 PM
01/10/05 09:35 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I've only seen the Sixth Sense, but would like to rent "Signs" maybe. The Sixth sense really freaked me out!

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88931
01/10/05 09:50 PM
01/10/05 09:50 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
This guy is one of the most overrated Directors in History. The Village was his best work, closely followed by Unbreakable. When you say that the Village is someone's best, it really gives an indication of thier skills, or lack thereof.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88932
01/10/05 10:55 PM
01/10/05 10:55 PM
Cincinnati
DannyMontana Offline
Underboss
DannyMontana  Offline
Underboss
Cincinnati
I honestly thought Unbreakable was the most terrible movie I had ever seen, it was a waste of my damn time.

I thought The Sixth Sense was pretty decent, but it wasn't wonderful.

I haven't seen all of Signs but from what I've seen, it is really good.

George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man.

-Slater "Dazed and Confused"
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88933
01/10/05 11:05 PM
01/10/05 11:05 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I really enjoyed Signs and The Sixth Sense. I'm surprised a production company gave him the most money ever given for a screenplay for Signs when he was just getting over the Unbreakable bomb. Good thing Signs was good or he woulda been dead.

1. Signs
2. The Sixth Sense
3. The Village
4. Unbreakable

The Village was not scary wnough like Signs in my opinion.

His film Twists always have a problem though.

SPOILER***
The Sixth Sense: How could Bruce Willis have lived normally for so long dead like that?

Unbreakable: Again, how could it take so long for him to realize this? Not realistic at all.

Signs: Water? The aliens can't touch water, all that time scouting Earth, they never contacted water? 81% of the worlds surface? No dew on the fields of corn or anything????

The Village: How could the creature have been in the woods when Mr. Phonex went in unannounced? Unless they had "watches". But the noices and stuff like that would be very hard to reproduce then. This movie was the best at this though. Just not scary enough.

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88934
01/10/05 11:10 PM
01/10/05 11:10 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:

SPOILER***
The Sixth Sense: How could Bruce Willis have lived normally for so long dead like that?

Signs: Water? The aliens can't touch water, all that time scouting Earth, they never contacted water? 81% of the worlds surface? No dew on the fields of corn or anything????

The Doc
SPOILER
Again, the plot uses the made up excuse (they see what they want to see)

The thing is the Aliens probably watched from their ships, and scouted dry areas, perhaps weather technology to avoid rain? This is pretty much unimportant although it raises questions.

1. The Sixth Sense
2. Signs

He makes movies for the good reasons however he falls short, usually making the movie a moral meaning after a flawed twist.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88935
01/10/05 11:53 PM
01/10/05 11:53 PM
S
Silvio Offline
Made Member
Silvio  Offline
S
Made Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
This guy is one of the most overrated Directors in History.
thank you. Wasnt the Others by MNight as well (not that it was any good)?

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88936
01/11/05 12:09 AM
01/11/05 12:09 AM
Capo
Capo
I don't think Shyamalan is overrated, I think it's that his "blockbuster" was overrated. i thought the Sixth Sense was a poor film, one of the worst I've ever seen... people hadn't seen a twist like that before. Believe it or not that was pretty much invented back in '99 with that film.. I think if Signs or The Village, his best films, came out back then, there'd be legitimate praise. TSS sucked, Unbreakable was basically unbearable, and Signs and The Village were both great.

SPOILERS*********************

Quote:
The Village: How could the creature have been in the woods when Mr. Phonex went in unannounced? Unless they had "watches". But the noices and stuff like that would be very hard to reproduce then. This movie was the best at this though. Just not scary enough.

The Doc
But since the creatures were really just those people, or that retarded guy, they would have known he was going into the woods so they would have gotten the suit and gotten out there. I think it makes sense.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88937
01/11/05 12:14 AM
01/11/05 12:14 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
I don't think Shyamalan is overrated, I think it's that his "blockbuster" was overrated. i thought the Sixth Sense was a poor film, one of the worst I've ever seen... people hadn't seen a twist like that before. Believe it or not that was pretty much invented back in '99 with that film.. I think if Signs or The Village, his best films, came out back then, there'd be legitimate praise. TSS sucked, Unbreakable was basically unbearable, and Signs and The Village were both great.

SPOILERS*********************

[quote] The Village: How could the creature have been in the woods when Mr. Phonex went in unannounced? Unless they had "watches". But the noices and stuff like that would be very hard to reproduce then. This movie was the best at this though. Just not scary enough.

The Doc
But since the creatures were really just those people, or that retarded guy, they would have known he was going into the woods so they would have gotten the suit and gotten out there. I think it makes sense. [/quote]No they would not have known it was him. he did it on impulse. The other "villagers" would not have known his impulse and gone out there.

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88938
01/11/05 12:24 AM
01/11/05 12:24 AM
Capo
Capo
No, because remember he went to the town counsel and petioned them to let him go into the woods... so I'd imagine they'd keep an eye on him because they knew he wanted to go out there.

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88939
01/11/05 12:25 AM
01/11/05 12:25 AM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
The Sixth Sense was his best movie. I'm surprised I am the first one to say it too. I liked Unbreakable, but didn't think Signs was the great. I liked The Village also, but it is the movie that has been bashed the most out of all of them. I have to disagree with people that call him the next Hitchcock tho.

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88940
01/11/05 12:28 AM
01/11/05 12:28 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I'm not a huge fan of the guy's work as a few I know, but I generally like the guy's movies. Besides, what other top-major filmmaker that a huge corporate entity like Disney is willing to give huge gobs of cash to do really slow directing that really takes its time?

Also, UNBREAKABLE wasn't a bomb. It broke(har har) about $248 million around the globe(and thats not including the VHS/DVD and PPV markets), same with VILLAGE. Point is, as long as M. Night Shymalamadingdong( ) makes money, Disney will fund the guy to make his movies.

In other words, the guy's movies could have been better I agree, but they are still worth my time. More so than I have gotten from the likes of Renny Harlin and Michael Bay in the last decade or so.

EDIT - I agree with Busta, except that Shymalan is not the next Hitchcock or Spielberg(remember that f*cking stupid NEWSWEEK cover when SIGNS came out? "The Next Spielberg?" :rolleyes: ). He is only the next Shymalan and thats it. Its like in the late 70's when filmmakers like John Carpenter(subject of my upcoming Tribute) and Brian DePalma were likened as the next Hitchcock by many critics or PR reps. However, most filmmakers may share similar "-esque" qualities that show their "tip of influence", yet they are still their own unique individual autuer moviemakers.

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88941
01/11/05 12:44 AM
01/11/05 12:44 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I saw The Sixth Sense and liked it a lot. Though some people said they predicted the end, I could not figure it out till the tend. I then watched Signs with great expectations, but was very disappointing. It was funny unintentionally in some scenes. Like the whole premise of baseball story.I am yet to watch Village, but reading all the reviews, I am not too enthusiastic.

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88942
01/11/05 02:20 AM
01/11/05 02:20 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Basically ditto of what svsg said. I loved The sixth sense and I think it was a great scary movie with a good twist. But then I watched Signs and I was so mad for wasting my time and money over a load of garbage. Anything with aliens and Sci-Fi creatures of those sorts makes me barf especially when it gets mixed with religion and a moral conclusion. Maybe the only thing that was fun in the Signs was the girl who was working in the pharmacy trying to make a confession and asking if calling someone D.B. was a sin!

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88943
01/11/05 08:40 AM
01/11/05 08:40 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Ive not seen the Village,But Shyamlan is a respected director who always gets the message to the audiance in all of his films.

1)Sixth Sense
2)Signs
3)Unbreakable

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88944
01/11/05 01:22 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
No, because remember he went to the town counsel and petioned them to let him go into the woods... so I'd imagine they'd keep an eye on him because they knew he wanted to go out there.
NO!

The first time, when he went into the woods when he was just supposed to be doing something on the outside of the gates. he went out, unexpected, about 30 feet and saw something, and ran back in, before he went into the council.

The Doc

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88945
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
NO!

The first time, when he went into the woods when he was just supposed to be doing something on the outside of the gates. he went out, unexpected, about 30 feet and saw something, and ran back in, before he went into the council. When he got berries or something.

The Doc

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88946
01/11/05 08:47 PM
01/11/05 08:47 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I've seen all but one and would rank them as follows:

1. The Sixth Sense
2. Signs
3. Unbreakable
Never saw The Village

I thought The Sixth Sense was best by far.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88947
01/12/05 02:34 PM
01/12/05 02:34 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Not a huge fan of him but feel bad b/c I think people expect too much from his movies:

1) Unbreakable
2) The Sixth Sense
3) The Village
4) Signs

Re: M. Night Shyamlan #88948
01/12/05 05:40 PM
01/12/05 05:40 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The Sixth Sense *
1999, Shamalayan, US
A child psychologist tries to help an estranged boy who can see the dead.
Haunting feature without many shocks and little suspense; nothing more than a commercial, atmospheric film with a twist ending.

Signs *
2002, Shamalayan, US
A former priest and widower protects, with the help of his brother, his children from an alien invasion.
With no firm ground to tread on, this settles for a series of shocks before a disappointing ending, but along the way we are treat to Gibson's typical acting and some slick direction.

A fine auteur, albeit not one I rush to see the work of. Oh well.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull