GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 537 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Italian language teacher in USA #87747
01/02/05 04:47 PM
01/02/05 04:47 PM
Malmoe, Scania / Perugia, Ital...
Don Larzono Offline OP
Made Member
Don Larzono  Offline OP
Made Member
All you Americans on these boards;
Is there a market for Italian language teachers in USA?
Here in Sweden there aren't too many jobs for one such teacher, but since there are so many Americans who hail from Italy, the demand for Italian language teachers might be higher? What do you think?

I don't know if you Americans even study languages in schools to the extent that we in Sweden do, considering that your first language is a bit bigger than ours.

But what do you say, is Italian a big language in America?

P.S. As allways, excuse my english. D.S

Pro Scania et Libertum
Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87748
01/02/05 04:53 PM
01/02/05 04:53 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Hello, Don Larzono.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Larzono:
I don't know if you Americans even study languages in schools to the extent that we in Sweden do, considering that your first language is a bit bigger than ours.
I'm planning on taking Italian next year in college, at West Virginia University. My friend, Jocelyn, and I really want to learn the language (even though we heard its really hard).

I don't know if I'd call it a "big language" though. I think Spanish is more popular, but I'm not sure.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87749
01/02/05 05:24 PM
01/02/05 05:24 PM
Don Larzono Offline OP
Made Member
Don Larzono  Offline OP
Made Member
Hi Bogey
Good for you! Italian isn't that hard once you get started. Though it does have more grammar then both french and spanish, but it's not too hard.

I'm wondering, could you in America study Italian in high school? Or is Italian something that you are only able to study in collage?

Pro Scania et Libertum
Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87750
01/02/05 05:31 PM
01/02/05 05:31 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Hi Don L.

Here in my area, Italian is not offered in High School unfortunately. Spanish is for sure, and maybe French, but that's about it. Both my daughters went to Cal State colleges, and I don't believe it was offered there either.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87751
01/02/05 11:29 PM
01/02/05 11:29 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
Hi,

I don't think there is a demand for Italian language skills in high school. Maybe in New York? But not in most areas, although there may be exceptions? At my large high school - 20 years ago - they offered us Russian and Japanese.....as well as the usual American favorites: Spanish, French & German. Your best bet would be somewhere out East, I think.

I took 1/2 semester of Italian in college - Indiana University. I had to drop it half-way through though. They offered everything under the sun at that university..... extremely liberal college. I also took one semester of Portuguese there..... I was really into the foreign languages.

Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87752
01/02/05 11:37 PM
01/02/05 11:37 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Larzono:
I'm wondering, could you in America study Italian in high school? Or is Italian something that you are only able to study in collage?
Umm not around here. My high school offers Spanish, French, Japanese, and Sign Language. (Japanese?? I don't really understand that one, but they do offer it.. I'd much rather have Italian or German.. or Russian. but Japanese??)

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87753
01/03/05 03:33 AM
01/03/05 03:33 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Bogz, my high school had Japanese, too-- although I hadn't heard of anyone else having it until you mentioned it too... In addition to that, and the usual French and Spanish, we also had Chinese and Latin. But like you said, no Italian.

DL, I think there might be demand for Italian teachers in colleges and universities... many of them have good language programs, and offer Italian as a course. There are more than enough Spanish teachers, but Italian is not quite so common. You should give it a try. I learned only spoken Italian with my family, so my spelling could use some help-- so I know if I ever have time, I'm hoping to take some classes in it, personally.

Even if not in a university or something, there are a lot of private language institutes which have better quality of teaching, too. My cousin's friend moved here from Messina two years ago, and she makes pretty good money teaching Italian part-time at a university, and part-time at a language institute. So there's that option of doing both, too.

Re: Italian language teacher in USA #87754
01/03/05 10:38 AM
01/03/05 10:38 AM
Don Larzono Offline OP
Made Member
Don Larzono  Offline OP
Made Member
Thank you all for your replies!

It seems that the safest thing is to teach at the university and collage level, or at a language institute.
I would really like to live and work in America, at least for a couple of years. And New York has allways been my favorite city in USA (even though I've never been there).

Letizia B.: Just as you say, there are more than enough spanish teachers, here in Sweden too. Allthough there might be fewer jobs for an italian teacher, there aren't as many competing for those jobs.

Insomma; I'll get my exams and degrees and all that, and then I might be going to Gli Stati Uniti(That's USA )!

So, maybe we'll se eachother in the streets of Nueva York!

Grazie tante per l'aiuto!

Cordiali Saluti
Don L

Pro Scania et Libertum

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull