GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 154 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: Goldy] #1083029
02/14/24 10:47 AM
02/14/24 10:47 AM
C
ChiTown Offline
WestTown
ChiTown  Offline
WestTown
C
Underboss
Originally Posted by Goldy
I always wonder what a heavyweight earner for decades leaves behind in terms of assets and cash. Is there a few bank accounts overseas filled with millions of dollars? Some barrels buried somewhere? A ring of keys to a bunch of properties and businesses that have been acquired and "legit" owned on paper and taxes paid and alla that and passed down to family, not Family? Or does that get absorbed back into the Outfit and the remaining family just looked at as regular square civilians and ignored by the Outfit? They don't take care of member's families after they're out of the picture, whether dead or in jail. I mean, open season on "The Hook's" compound is pretty brazen and disrespectful. Even for someone that was not liked. Unless the people that allowed it to happen were anticipating a nice cut of whatever it was they would find. IF there was something to find.

Nice article! Weird that they always incorrectly say he was called "The Hook" for hanging juice loan victims from meat hooks. I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone had taken some steaks or meat from the fridge at the social club and Angelo would sit in there at night in the dark with a shotgun trying to catch who was stealing the meat. Guy with that much scratch caring that much about some missing meat. I guess the principle of the thing. Never heard that Angelo was a drunk like Jackie, surprised that's not a bigger deal...not good for guys to be getting drunk and possibly running their mouths or making stupid decisions while wasted.

That story about Angelo at ONIAC is from the Scalise/Rachel/Pullia wiretaps - they talk about him being nutty following a prison stint. If you followed that case, they were also meeting with Jimmy Inendino on Grand Avenue where it was alleged they got 'permission' to hit Angelo's house. I think some of that had to do with the Outfit's distaste of the Calabrese crew at that time (Kurt Calabrese was married to Angelo's daughter and his mother in law was in the home when the FBI caught them). I'm sure they definitely wanted some money.

I've been to ONIAC and their events previously - I've heard guys say Angelo was a cagey old man who scared people shitless.

These guys really also don't give a fuck about your family. The Outfit has extorted the families of deceased mobsters frequently and I'm not talking Joe Fosco - Ricca's kids were scammed, Solano's kids, etc. There is a well-known story that Ferriola's kids have discussed about the day their father died, Rocky Infelise came in the house and immediately emptied their family safe. I assume that was the 'bank' for their crew - but its heartless.

Last edited by ChiTown; 02/14/24 12:25 PM.
Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: Goldy] #1083035
02/14/24 01:20 PM
02/14/24 01:20 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Yep, "juice" was one of the Outfits biggest and most lucrative rackets...it also became an absolute favorite of theirs.

+1 from the mid 1940 possibly until today lol

Originally Posted by ChiTown
Two of the largest juice guys in Chicago who don't get enough credit but were essentially the mentors of guys like LaPietra are Frank 'Calico' Teutonico and Joe Rossi. If you go through those transcripts, Rossi and 'Calico' are discussed frequently as being the smartest and crudest with their loans. These guys were ruthless fucks who are burning in hell as we speak.

Thats right @ChiTown, Teutonica/Teutonico was one of Buccieri's/Torello's best loan sharks, although maybe Im mixing some stuff but I think he had some problems with the Outfit and was taken out of the picture, like being "shelved" or something like that?! Btw, also dont forget Julius, Joe and Donald Grieco....

I always wonder what a heavyweight earner for decades leaves behind in terms of assets and cash. Is there a few bank accounts overseas filled with millions of dollars? Some barrels buried somewhere? A ring of keys to a bunch of properties and businesses that have been acquired and "legit" owned on paper and taxes paid and alla that and passed down to family, not Family? Or does that get absorbed back into the Outfit and the remaining family just looked at as regular square civilians and ignored by the Outfit? They don't take care of member's families after they're out of the picture, whether dead or in jail. I mean, open season on "The Hook's" compound is pretty brazen and disrespectful. Even for someone that was not liked. Unless the people that allowed it to happen were anticipating a nice cut of whatever it was they would find. IF there was something to find.

Nice article! Weird that they always incorrectly say he was called "The Hook" for hanging juice loan victims from meat hooks. I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone had taken some steaks or meat from the fridge at the social club and Angelo would sit in there at night in the dark with a shotgun trying to catch who was stealing the meat. Guy with that much scratch caring that much about some missing meat. I guess the principle of the thing. Never heard that Angelo was a drunk like Jackie, surprised that's not a bigger deal...not good for guys to be getting drunk and possibly running their mouths or making stupid decisions while wasted.

Thanks @Goldy and also thanks for your support.

As I already stated in one of my previous posts, when the so-called plan for the home invasion on LaPietra's house occurred, it was already a different time when the organization was placed on its knees after the Family Secrets trials, and after that the Cicero-Chinatown group was still the most powerful active group on the streets because by that time most of their members like Tootise Caruso, Sarno, Solly D, Jimmy I and Cataudella, were free on the streets and they had the power to "break" every rule they wanted to, obviously by staying under the radar. And thats what they all did, obviously except for Sarno. On the other hand, lower level members like Scalise still believed that there were secret safes in the houses like the ones of LaPietra and Ferriola, and I think they were probably right. The Marlborough diamond is not found even today, so we still have space for a lot of speculation.

During those days some so-called Mob drunks were quite useful for some brutal capos like Buccieri, Cerone and Alderisio, obviously because they were able to do anything at any time, but the interesting thing is that they kept their mouths shut. Even Mad Sam lol, I mean he was speaking all types of bullshit in public and making all types of circus attractions lol, but he never ratted and never gave out anyone. Cerone's cousin "Skippy" Cerone was also a drunk but by the end of the day he was respected by all members from his crew. I mean we have pictures of Giancana being completely wasted and dressed as the queen of England lol or with a baby hat with a whistle in his mouth, which means the Chicago Outfit was probably THE most Americanized crime family in the U.S. and we wonder why they invaded LaPietra's home?! lol

Cheers

Originally Posted by RushStreet

The social club story is true. The culprit that drove Angelo crazy was Rocco LaMantia.

@Rush do you have any additional info on the situation?

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1083070
02/14/24 06:51 PM
02/14/24 06:51 PM
G
Goldy Offline
Made Member
Goldy  Offline
G
Made Member
Yeah, pretty "honorable" for them to go after fellow mobster's civilian families.

I remember on Frank Cullotta's YT show talking about how he ran into Tony Spilotro's wife Nancy at a pharmacy while he was in Witness Protection, she recognized him thru his disguise. She was flat broke, and he claims he gave her money to pay the rent for her apartment and that she was involved in getting fake prescriptions to sell pills or whatever to get by. So a guy like Tony who also had millions of dollars pass thru his hands leaves his wife broke? I get that the Outfit wouldn't have helped her out given that her husband was killed by them for various reasons, but seems odd to me that a lot of these guys basically leave nothing behind or it just gets taken back into the organization. Tony had legitimate businesses and whatnot, selling his jewelry store for at that time the equivalent of $700K. They just blow that kind of $$$ on dinners and drinks? My Great Uncle worked for John Deere and was retired for 40 years before he died, and he left behind a lot of $$$, stocks, acreage, etc. These guys weren't able to figure out how to take care of their families similar? Especially back then, when they still had a substantial amount of power and influence? I would think all these upper echelon guys would have had money/assets so laundered and clean they'd be passing off millions that the feds couldn't touch....otherwise, what's the point? Just have money in a bank account or safe deposit box that the Feds seize for taxes/fines when you get busted? That also seems like a pretty good incentive for a guy to flip. Go to prison and keep your mouth shut and they essentially put you on the shelf when you're gone and offer no $$$$. Nick Calabrese was sitting in jail and they were paying his wife $50K a year to keep him happy? That's it? Should have been $50K a month. Marcello had the $$$ for that kind of payoff and look what ended up happening to him. 24/7 lockdown in Supermax for the rest of his life. No thanks.

Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1083071
02/14/24 06:54 PM
02/14/24 06:54 PM
G
Goldy Offline
Made Member
Goldy  Offline
G
Made Member
And you are welcome @toodoped. I enjoy reading that type of thing and the posts here, but mostly lurk, lol.

Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1083074
02/14/24 07:11 PM
02/14/24 07:11 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
This was amazing. Sorry I am a late comer to this. Really good article and I appreciate the details here. You consistently show your unchallenged expertise when it comes to The Outfit. Thanks for sharing this. It’s greatly appreciated.

Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: Goldy] #1083085
02/14/24 11:50 PM
02/14/24 11:50 PM
C
ChiTown Offline
WestTown
ChiTown  Offline
WestTown
C
Underboss
Yeah, pretty "honorable" for them to go after fellow mobster's civilian families.

I remember on Frank Cullotta's YT show talking about how he ran into Tony Spilotro's wife Nancy at a pharmacy while he was in Witness Protection, she recognized him thru his disguise. She was flat broke, and he claims he gave her money to pay the rent for her apartment and that she was involved in getting fake prescriptions to sell pills or whatever to get by. So a guy like Tony who also had millions of dollars pass thru his hands leaves his wife broke? I get that the Outfit wouldn't have helped her out given that her husband was killed by them for various reasons, but seems odd to me that a lot of these guys basically leave nothing behind or it just gets taken back into the organization. Tony had legitimate businesses and whatnot, selling his jewelry store for at that time the equivalent of $700K. They just blow that kind of $$$ on dinners and drinks? My Great Uncle worked for John Deere and was retired for 40 years before he died, and he left behind a lot of $$$, stocks, acreage, etc. These guys weren't able to figure out how to take care of their families similar? Especially back then, when they still had a substantial amount of power and influence? I would think all these upper echelon guys would have had money/assets so laundered and clean they'd be passing off millions that the feds couldn't touch....otherwise, what's the point? Just have money in a bank account or safe deposit box that the Feds seize for taxes/fines when you get busted? That also seems like a pretty good incentive for a guy to flip. Go to prison and keep your mouth shut and they essentially put you on the shelf when you're gone and offer no $$$$. Nick Calabrese was sitting in jail and they were paying his wife $50K a year to keep him happy? That's it? Should have been $50K a month. Marcello had the $$$ for that kind of payoff and look what ended up happening to him. 24/7 lockdown in Supermax for the rest of his life. No thanks.

You should Google Sam Destefano II's interview - not the infamous Mad Sam but his nephew the diamond thief (a good pal of mine at one point) who worked for Bill Handhardt. Destefano discusses how Nancy Spilotro owned real estate on rush street and the outfit basically scammed and used her in a tax scheme and then took over her shares. Brutal shit - these guys would rob their sisters if they were desperate enough. I've heard these stories time and again - look what they did to Turk Torello's wife with the property scams in Wisconsin - that was Spano (the guys who used to work for Turk).

https://www.newspapers.com/article/chicago-tribune-sam-destefano-nicoles/30924258/

Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: ChiTown] #1083105
02/15/24 11:24 AM
02/15/24 11:24 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times
This was amazing. Sorry I am a late comer to this. Really good article and I appreciate the details here. You consistently show your unchallenged expertise when it comes to The Outfit. Thanks for sharing this. It’s greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot Jimmy for being our constant supporter. Salut my friend.

Nicely said @Goldy and I completely understand your view on the whole situation but as @ChiTown already said, those guys were brutal and were able to sell their own mother. Even the old non-Italian guys did the same stuff, like for example Gus Alex allegedly extorted Guzik's family after the old man's death (besides Guzik being his long time mentor and boss), while on the other hand Alex was also known for passing his hat during the funerals of some of his associates who ended up broke, so he can collect money from everyone present for the families. So I think that they usually extorted only the families of former rich members and associates, who kept their cash and jewelry "under their beds". No honor among thieves right?!

As for their millions and where the money went after their deaths...well I think thats one quite complicated situation. Some of the top level bosses like Ricca, Accardo, Buccieri, Battaglia etc. left quite enough money, legit businesses and real estate for their families and other blood relatives, while other rich guys like Ralph Capone or Alex (who didnt have any families of their own) left their fortunes either to some relatives or friends. And obviously 90% percent of the so-called brotherhood lived the lavish life by being degenerate gamblers, dope addicts, driving expensive cars and buying hookers on daily basis. For example Outfit capo Rocco Fischetti used to be one of the richest members during the 1930s and 40s, but by the early 60s he lost his fortune and also high status within the Mafia because of huge gambling debts and so his non-Italian associate Les Kruse got him out of trouble and also became the "unofficial crew boss" for Roccos crew, especially around Lake County and also some south side areas.

Also dont forget that some of those guys lived for the adrenaline and believed in the "Life" 100%, meaning some of them died penniless by following only the "tradition". We also have examples when the families of deceased members were not able to find the hidden cash and remained to live normal lives or "poor" according to U.S. mob standards.

Originally Posted by ChiTown

You should Google Sam Destefano II's interview - not the infamous Mad Sam but his nephew the diamond thief (a good pal of mine at one point) who worked for Bill Handhardt. Destefano discusses how Nancy Spilotro owned real estate on rush street and the outfit basically scammed and used her in a tax scheme and then took over her shares. Brutal shit - these guys would rob their sisters if they were desperate enough. I've heard these stories time and again - look what they did to Turk Torello's wife with the property scams in Wisconsin - that was Spano (the guys who used to work for Turk).

https://www.newspapers.com/article/chicago-tribune-sam-destefano-nicoles/30924258/

Nice example and thanks.

Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1083233
02/17/24 08:35 AM
02/17/24 08:35 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Lots of very good info here.

Last edited by cheech; 02/17/24 08:38 AM.

When Interpol?
Re: Angelo LaPietra – “The Hook” of Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1083399
02/19/24 07:13 AM
02/19/24 07:13 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Stay tuned for more and never released Chi Outfit articles...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull