GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 269 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,610
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8793
05/22/04 02:02 PM
05/22/04 02:02 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
What was the impact? It is one thing to enjoy the movie now, but can you imagine watching it in the theater when it was first released? Hearing the collective gasps at the various scenes? Reading the reviews? The hype at work around the water cooler? The excitement about Brando's triumpant return to the big screen 20 years after On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire?

I was only 13 then so I can remember my parents talking about it, that's all.

"...for old times' sake?"
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8794
05/22/04 03:02 PM
05/22/04 03:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The novel was a huge success before the film came out, and made a giant impact. So people were all leaped up about the film. Most of the initial buzz was over Brando's performance. His lines (such as "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse") got into the popular lexicon overnight. In fact, Brando's performance tended to overshadow Pacino's and Duvall's. Only after a period of months did people begin to appreciate what an overall triumph the film was. But before that, and after, Brando's Vito Corleone was more popular than the president of the US.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8795
05/22/04 03:50 PM
05/22/04 03:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Back in the day ('72) theaters here in NY were still the old, original sized ones (before they were divided up into 6 or 8 little rooms). Consider that most of them showing the original release were packed for months, and the more spectacular scenes (ie. Sonny's death, Jack Woltz and the horse's head, etc.) were followed by upwards of 500+ people going wild.

You waited for a Friday or Saturday night showing? Fugghedaboudit! The theaters had LOOOOONG lines right through the summer (and the movie was released in March).

Because of the success of Part I, the anticipation for Part II (two years later) was tremendous, and once word got out that Part II was equally as good, the lines for that movie were equally as long.

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8796
05/22/04 04:46 PM
05/22/04 04:46 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline
Made Member
Rhode Island
I really wish I was alive to see the godfather in the movie theatres. Just to here about it would have been exciting, even when GF3 was released, I was too young to like it. This is one of the reasons why I want to see GF4 in the movie theatres, but no matter what I will never be able to ctach the magic of seeing the Godfather on the big screen.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8797
05/22/04 05:42 PM
05/22/04 05:42 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by Turnbull:
His lines (such as "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse") got into the popular lexicon overnight.
As a pre-teen, I was aware of most of these lines, even used some of them without knowing where they came from or what they meant.

Remember Godfathers Pizza commericials? Straight rip off there.

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8798
05/23/04 05:45 PM
05/23/04 05:45 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Originally posted by sonof70s:
Remember Godfathers Pizza commericials? Straight rip off there.
I was born in 84, so I was 6 when GF3 came out, but I dont remember anything about it. I do however remember Godfathers Pizza. My memory of the guy who used to say "Do it" was a guy in a cowboy hat confused but now I know that copuldnt have been a cowboy hat! It did have some pretty good pizza.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8799
05/23/04 06:08 PM
05/23/04 06:08 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Ha ha!! This is one of the topics that being one of the older members here has it's benefit. tongue

Yes, it was something all right. Like TB says, the book came out first and became very poupular. I read the book and just could not wait to see the movie wondering if it would be as good as the book.

Brando was made fun of for mumbling his lines; rumor was that Sinatra was pissed off because Johnny Fontaine was suppose to be him; for the time, the violence of Sonny's death and pregnant Connie's beating by Carlo were quite the talk in my family.

And SC you are right. Theaters were theaters back then, big screens - balconies and everything. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8800
05/25/04 08:19 AM
05/25/04 08:19 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
This has been a popular question on the board and a chance for us old frogs to reminesce (sp?).

I read the book shortly after it came out and couldn't wait to see the movie. Lots of hype about casting; Brando was miscast, he's washed up, James Caan? he doesn't look Italian, who is this Pacino guy? Then there was all the conjecture about the horsehead scene. I don't remember exactly when I saw it, but it was during its first run. It ran in one movie house in Rockland County (suburb of NYC), and its was packed for weeks. Having seen the movie countless times it is hard to remember the original impact, but here I am 30+ years later still watching it, reading it, quoting it and talking about it.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8801
05/25/04 04:36 PM
05/25/04 04:36 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Ha ha!! This is one of the topics that being one of the older members here has it's benefit. tongue

Yes, it was something all right. Like TB says, the book came out first and became very poupular. I read the book and just could not wait to see the movie wondering if it would be as good as the book.

Brando was made fun of for mumbling his lines; rumor was that Sinatra was pissed off because Johnny Fontaine was suppose to be him; for the time, the violence of Sonny's death and pregnant Connie's beating by Carlo were quite the talk in my family.

And SC you are right. Theaters were theaters back then, big screens - balconies and everything. smile

TIS
I thank you "old guys" for sharing those memories. Your memories of the affect on pop culture are valuable.

One thing I do remember, on a lot of variety shows like Sonny and Cher and Carol Burnett there would be skits and comedians would stuff cotton in their mouth and imitate Brando as Vito. I was not sure who they were imitating at the time.

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8802
05/26/04 12:11 PM
05/26/04 12:11 PM
Saddle Brook, NJ
Justin Offline
Made Member
Justin  Offline
Made Member
Saddle Brook, NJ
As I mentioned before, I was an usher at the Park Lane Theater in Palisades Park, NJ when the Godfather came out. The theater was packed every night I worked and the movie was the talk of day. My parents, given free passes from me saw the movie three times and to this day, my mother treasures the Godfather VHS tapes I gave her on her 65th birthday. She watches them faithfully and loves the wedding scene. She would have never bought a VCR if I didn't give her those tapes.

Justin
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8803
05/26/04 01:34 PM
05/26/04 01:34 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by Justin:
As I mentioned before, I was an usher at the Park Lane Theater in Palisades Park, NJ when the Godfather came out. The theater was packed every night I worked and the movie was the talk of day.
If I was a rich publisher I'd offer you a book deal.

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8804
05/26/04 03:07 PM
05/26/04 03:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Justin:
She would have never bought a VCR if I didn't give her those tapes.
I bought my first VCR in September 1983, specifically because NBC was showing "The Godfather Saga" (GF and II in chronological order, with all deleted scenes spliced in) for the first time. Never looked back.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8805
05/26/04 04:06 PM
05/26/04 04:06 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
/QUOTE]I bought my first VCR in September 1983, [/QB][/QUOTE]
VHS or Beta?

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8806
05/26/04 06:07 PM
05/26/04 06:07 PM
The Dirty South
Dirty Blonde Offline
Made Member
Dirty Blonde  Offline
Made Member
The Dirty South
I remember when Part # came out!!! wink

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8807
05/26/04 10:40 PM
05/26/04 10:40 PM
California

California
TB, if you (or anyone here for that matter) ever hears of the chronological version with all the deleted scenes, come on tv again, please post it.

I know I saw it at that time too, but didn't record it. It wasn't until people posted here on some of those scenes, that I realized how rare they really are mad But that was the one and only time I've seen it. I'd jump at the chance to have that version, if not on DVD, I'll be happy with recorded from the tv.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8808
05/28/04 03:29 PM
05/28/04 03:29 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
It was an event! it was the hotter than the '72 Olympics and the Presidental election!
On network news, we hear of ticket scalpers selling $2.50 tickets for $20!

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8809
06/01/04 09:29 PM
06/01/04 09:29 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by deathkiss:
It was an event! it was the hotter than the '72 Olympics and the Presidental election!
On network news, we hear of ticket scalpers selling $2.50 tickets for $20!
Wow, that is saying a lot considering the '72 Olympics had the Munich Massacre. You are lucky to have such memories. Did The Exorcist come out the same year as The Godfather? Did The Godfather have a theme song on the radio? I know a lot of movies during that time did (The Sting, Exorcist, etc)

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8810
06/01/04 10:46 PM
06/01/04 10:46 PM
California

California
Hi Sonof70's! The Exorcist came out in 73 I believe. The theme song "Tubular Bells" (I think), was played on most radio stations. Yea,that movie created a lot of hysteria as well. smile

TIS

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8811
06/02/04 05:12 AM
06/02/04 05:12 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Hi Sonof70's! The Exorcist came out in 73 I believe. The theme song "Tubular Bells" (I think), was played on most radio stations. Yea,that movie created a lot of hysteria as well. smile

TIS
I remember the song well, though I never knew the name, thanks, and major props to all you GF "vets" who have great memories of when it was originally released!

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8812
06/02/04 11:25 AM
06/02/04 11:25 AM
Saddle Brook, NJ
Justin Offline
Made Member
Justin  Offline
Made Member
Saddle Brook, NJ
I once dated a girl who thought " The Exorcist" was Jack LaLanne.

Justin
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8813
06/02/04 12:12 PM
06/02/04 12:12 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by sonof70s:
[Wow, that is saying a lot considering the '72 Olympics had the Munich Massacre. You are lucky to have such memories. Did The Exorcist come out the same year as The Godfather? Did The Godfather have a theme song on the radio? I know a lot of movies during that time did (The Sting, Exorcist, etc)
What I do recall is that Speak Softly Love was popular, but it was sung by crooners (exp. Al Martino,aka: Johnny) on talk shows (Dinah, Mike, Merv and Carson). I really don't recall hearing it on the radio that played top ten music.

Exorcist was released Dec. 1993 and it almost rocked Godfather out of its #1 spot.

Yes the Massacre was big news, but in the early 70's, the era of 1/2 hour news coverage, did not have minute to minute coverage of the same story like we do today. Therefore, we were somewhat detached from the story.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8814
06/04/04 08:10 PM
06/04/04 08:10 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Speak Softly Love was popular, but it was sung by crooners (exp. Al Martino,aka: Johnny) on talk shows (Dinah, Mike, Merv and Carson).

Exorcist was released Dec. 1993 and it almost rocked Godfather out of its #1 spot.

[/QB]
Speak softly love, was that sung in the movie? I remember Mike (Douglas) and Merv (Griffin) shows, they were awesome.

You meant '73 for the Exorcist I guess.

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8815
06/06/04 11:00 PM
06/06/04 11:00 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
This was a great topic idea, and I agree...it's been really cool to hear what it was like when it first came out...I can only imagine! :0) I'm sure I'll still be talking about the GF years from now...I'll be telling my grandkids my fav. parts, and quoting all the characters...just like I do now! lol

One thing I do remember, on a lot of variety shows like Sonny and Cher and Carol Burnett there would be skits and comedians would stuff cotton in their mouth and imitate Brando as Vito. I was not sure who they were imitating at the time.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of those skits..but it'd be something I would really enjoy! I, myself, stuffed cotton in my mouth once or twice and made my best attempt at a Brando impression...lol Oh, and anytime I get a.."frog in my throat," I suppose...I always make the "give him an offer" quote before it clears up...hehe grin

Re: Is anyone here old enough to remember when the original GF was released? #8816
06/07/04 12:15 AM
06/07/04 12:15 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
I just remembered, Steve Lawrence is the guy I remember doing a Godfather imitation a lot on the Carol Burnett show.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull